As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Black Lives Matter Thread 3: not really about Minneapolis at this point

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I also think that a lot of them are not BLM demands, so I'm more annoyed at it for intentionally diluting the message. 5, 6, 9, and 10 are good things, but not necessarily the immediately relevant ones.

They are completely relevant what are you talking about

They're all concerning issues that directly influence a society that does not view Black lives as mattering

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I also think that a lot of them are not BLM demands, so I'm more annoyed at it for intentionally diluting the message. 5, 6, 9, and 10 are good things, but not necessarily the immediately relevant ones.

They are completely relevant what are you talking about

They're all concerning issues that directly influence a society that does not view Black lives as mattering

They're the grease that keeps the school to prison pipeline nice and slick.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Ubik wrote: »
    kanye is a land of contrasts

Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.)

--Kanye West

I am Kanye, for we are many.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    kanye has always been a gigantic troll; he just (arguably) took it too far this time

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    kanye has always been a gigantic troll; he just (arguably) took it too far this time

Thats comedy, baby! [/Joker accent]

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    So it feels like the whole "trad" fetishism thing has really been taking off recently in the mainstream

examples being stuff like missing how ppl dressed in the 60s, yearning for simple pre-Industrial cottage life (and neoclassical interiors, and German castles...); basically very overtly soppy, aesthetically pleasing imagery that glamorizes certain points of Western culture

The twitter account Western_Trad in particular is trying to be very innocuous about the obvious crypto-fascist intent behind this wave of propaganda, but now they've come out with an unironic defense of that STL fucker, lionizing the guy (specifically and only the guy, hmm wonder why)

I have nothing but contempt for people who are rebranding white supremacy, fascism, and reactionary hate-politics as "traditionalism" but it's just... such an insult to those traditions. On the bases of history, philosophy, aesthetics, architecture, urban design, etc, every single one of their postulates are so easily dismantled, so readily revealed as bankrupt and silly, that it's just depressing to see how smugly they post shit about the failures of "left-wing architecture" or whatever.

Because they don't care. They don't care how disingenuous they are and continuously get to be, about not only their own god damn cultures, but the discourse around their cultures, and they revel in how easy it is for bad faith to flourish in that wasteland. They think themselves cultured.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    https://imgur.com/gallery/dKJduqO

So there's a good apple series on imgur and this one makes me feel like defund more than ever. Just punch something and say I am right.

Details are
    cop brings evidence concerning Carol DiMaiti Stuart murder and is drummed out of force, declared unfit due to mma career, and denied civilian handgun permit.

But even more galling, other than a black cop sacrificing 3 black kids for a closed case and his face on television, is the allegation that BPD is filtering out the educated, military vets, and disciplined martial artists. So anyone with discipline and half a brain cell.

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Every further entry in that series is more horrifying and unsurprising than the last, especially the rapist cop. 😞

(Not so) fun fact: my hometown's police department had a similar debacle years back when it was revealed that the same police chief who killed his estranged wife and then himself was also a credibly accused rapist. Surprising no one, the department helped him cover it up in no small part because he was the police chief's son.

Hacksaw on
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Borommakot wrote: »
    I'm sure Hacksaw will have better details than I will from just one person texting me, but evidently two guys in the CHOP started fights, robbed someone, and fired shots before leaving and coming back in a maybe stolen car fired more shots and got wrecked by security.

In the high functioning part of my brain I know I should be focused on it being bad that it came to this level of violence, but my gut reaction is that those guys played stupid games and won stupid prizes. Also, CHOP security has some marksmen that put all the cops to shame. Hearing tires shot out and two shots through the windshield to incapacitate driver and passenger.

Yeah I've been reading up on this on Twitter. Relevant tweets below the spoiler (content warning violence, although nothing too visually explicit):

There's more in that thread, to be clear, just trying to cherry pick some representative pieces. Information beyond that has been overall limited.

To follow up on this from way, way later (and with two of the tweets celebrating the CHAZ security shooting somebody deleted), it appears that there is no clear indication the kids in the vehicle (14 and 16, apparently) were the same people who had previously shot at people in CHAZ and limited indication they shot at anybody before being fired on by security, making this very plausibly a case of security getting jumpy at a vehicle matching the description of prior shooters. It might also have been the same people, but evidence is very, very mixed.

I bring this up to say we should be very cautious about praising shootings or other violence that is apparently justified, especially with tweets that were, frankly, weirdly giddy about how badass the CHAZ security marksmen were at shooting kids in a moving vehicle. Information is chaotic, yes, but that doesn't mean the only accurate information is the stuff that paints CHAZ as having supersnipers picking off murderers.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    cw for sexual assault, seriously this whole thread is some grim shit

there's more in the replies, just... don't ever fucking tell me I'm wrong to wish death on cops again.

edited June 2020

there's more in the replies, just... don't ever fucking tell me I'm wrong to wish death on cops again.

You wishing death on cops is not the problem.

Its the idiots in the movement who put their own dicks ahead of the greater good who are the problem.

RoyceSraphim on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The entire law enforcement industry is corrupt and needs to be dismantled

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Its the idiots in the movement who put their own dicks ahead of the greater good who are the problem.

Hey can you explain what you're referring to here?

Hey can you explain what you're referring to here?

Essentially that anarchists, Sean King, the Nation of Islam, and other such selfish snd short sighted idiots are the larger problems in the way of bringing this country to a better place.

ThatDudeOverThere is angry and feels some kinda way, but, to use the loaded dice analogy i made earlier in the thread, I know their passion is directed towards the next generation actually getting an America where the dice are fair.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Wow those two rich white lawyer dickheads are truly stupid and horrible people. And as everyone said, they don't even know the 4 golden rules of firearm ownership!

yqxos9qqpogn.jpg

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    wait.

*squints*

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Wow those two rich white lawyer dickheads are truly stupid and horrible people. And as everyone said, they don't even know the 4 golden rules of firearm ownership!

yqxos9qqpogn.jpg

Half life 3 confirmed?

I ate an engineer
    Anarchists are good, actually

When black women at their own march are forced to play mammy to restrain a bunch of people to stop said bunch from rolling a dumpster downhill towards cops, said bunch becomes part of the problem.

It is not their responsibility to keep people on point.

Also, we need a new word to seperate political anarchists from asshole anarchists.

Cops belong in the dumpster, Royce

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    When black women at their own march are forced to play mammy to restrain a bunch of people to stop said bunch from rolling a dumpster downhill towards cops, said bunch becomes part of the problem.

It is not their responsibility to keep people on point.

Also, we need a new word to seperate political anarchists from asshole anarchists.

Or maybe we could just stop using the word anarchist as a dismissive way to refer to assholes

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »

yqxos9qqpogn.jpg

Half life 3 confirmed?

Yes, the SRA are going to abolish police and destroy capitalism, then encourage everyone who used to work at Valve to make HL3.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

yqxos9qqpogn.jpg

Half life 3 confirmed?

I'm pretty sure that's Loss.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Soon enough we'll all be rolling flaming dumpsters at police barricades

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor

We all do at some point.

But right now the police are the one enemy on the battlefield that acts as tank, support buff, and support debuff.

Once defunded and rebuilt from scratch, a fuckton of problems now marked by bodies and memorials become managable and perhaps solvable.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

We all do at some point.

But right now the police are the one enemy on the battlefield that acts as tank, support buff, and support debuff.

Once defunded and rebuilt from scratch, a fuckton of problems now marked by bodies and memorials become managable and perhaps solvable.

What the actual fuck are you talking about my dude?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    At first they came for the racists subreddits, and I was like "yeah"
    And then they came for the TERFS, and I was like "yeah!
    And then they came for the pedophile streamers, and I was like "YEAH!"

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2020
    edit: removing unnecessary dickishness, i apologize

Garlic Bread on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Royce, charitably, I sometimes feel like you have an internal dialogue about a given subject, and then post whatever the current stage of that internal conversation is to the forum.

Without ever considering that nobody else knows what winding path you took to get there, so it often feels like you're posting borderline unrelated comments.

Maddoc wrote: »
    Royce, charitably, I sometimes feel like you have an internal dialogue about a given subject, and then post whatever the current stage of that internal conversation is to the forum.

Without ever considering that nobody else knows what winding path you took to get there, so it often feels like you're posting borderline unrelated comments.

Yes

Honestly in this case it started out more troubling than just unrelated, given that it seemed to me that you suggested that "idiots in the movement who put their own dicks ahead of the greater good" had something to do with a story about a woman being raped

Honestly in this case it started out more troubling than just unrelated, given that it seemed to me that you suggested that "idiots in the movement who put their own dicks ahead of the greater good" had something to do with a story about a woman being raped

Huh, never occured to make that association. More focused on what happened in Seattle and Bellevue this weekend.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

Huh, never occured to make that association. More focused on what happened in Seattle and Bellevue this weekend.

I mean ... quoting the story in your reply is a pretty good way to make people think that's what you're talking about.
    Like Maddoc says, there's a long and winding Royce path sometimes which we are not privy to, and it can make conversations end up in weird and baroque cul-de-sacs.

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    So I follow you down your twisted alleyways,
    find a few cul-de-sacs of my own...

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    edited June 2020
    facetious wrote: »
    So I follow you down your twisted alleyways,
    find a few cul-de-sacs of my own...

I charge you three fitty for access [/ Amazonsonthemoon]

RoyceSraphim on
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    there's only one place this road ever ends up and I don't wanna die alone.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    It's weird phrasing but I understood exactly what he meant by his original post with the quote in it.

But maybe I'm just used to it

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    tynic wrote: »

I mean ... quoting the story in your reply is a pretty good way to make people think that's what you're talking about.
    Like Maddoc says, there's a long and winding Royce path sometimes which we are not privy to, and it can make conversations end up in weird and baroque cul-de-sacs.

Webcomic thread posters know this phenomenon well, of course

Solar on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    #royce_ebooks

This discussion has been closed.