As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Let’s Do The Lockdown Again

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Well when you have a government where "I wrote a column about this for the newspaper my friend's dad owns" is considered a sign that you are among the bleeding edge on a subject, grifters are gonna grift.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Well when you have a government where "I wrote a column about this for the newspaper my friend's dad owns" is considered a sign that you are among the bleeding edge on a subject, grifters are gonna grift.

For a moment, I had to stop and check which thread (and country) this was.

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Bogart wrote: »
    Judging by Bournemouth yesterday I guess telling everyone it was their patriotic duty to go out and drink beer but also use your common sense and not do anything rash resulted in some confusing mixed messages.

Who could have seen this coming?

The only problem was that they were a week early. You can see from the pictures that people are 1m apart - as in if you turned to face someone looking away from you, your legs would only just not be touching them (at 5' 10" or less).

The people there were following next week's guidelines. Which are stupid, and apparently obviously so if you show people a picture of what they look like in practice.

Tastyfish on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    So this idea had been doing the rounds as a way for the government to save face by effectively agreeing to an extension without having to request the extension it has publically committed to not requesting

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-no-deal-proposal-eu-uk-chief-negotiator-a9585771.html

The basic idea was that the EU would agree not to impose measures such as tariffs unless and until the UK deviated from European standards in such a way that it was necessary. It alters the timing but not the effect of no deal, in that many things could continue as they currently do until such time as the UK decided to change something

(note that many things would by necessity change regardless, so we're not talking about frictionless borders here)

The quote is confusing, though
    "I want to be clear that the government will not agree to ideas like the one currently circulating giving the EU a new right to retaliate with tariffs if we chose to make laws suiting our interests."

“We could not leave ourselves open to such unforeseeable economic risk.”

The ability of the EU to impose tariffs is not a "new right", it is the default position unless the UK and EU agree something else, so it's ... odd to see an ardent brexiteer involved in the process say that it's an intolerable economic risk

japan on
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    It's not odd at all? It's entirely inkeeping with the playbook Brexiteers have been using since forever. Take a perfectly normal rule or action by the EU and claim it's a unique and unforgivable attack on British sovereignty motivated by spite. It's worked like a charm for years.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    Odd in the sense that it's self contradictory as a standalone statement, which I think is relatively unusual

It's not just that it isn't true, is that it's internally incoherent which speaks to some quite extreme cognitive dissonance

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    So Leicester is one of (if not the first) localised lockdown with schools re closing and bars/restaurants not opening in line with the rest of the country.

Seems the people of Leicester are now planning on going to Nottingham this weekend instead.....

Not that I expected there'd be anyway to stop this sort of thing happening.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    It'll be interesting to see if the government plan on enforcing this at all. Because just telling Leicester to stay at home when by all accounts they weren't doing it during the main bit of lockdown doesn't seem like a winning strategy.

Regardless, local lockdowns would be easier to accept if the government hadn't lost all credibility over cumgate

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Probably the only way to stop the good people of Leicester from heading off to Nottingham would be something on the scale of the military cordon isolating that town in Outbreak. Which, you know, seems unlikely.

But I don't expect "no, look, seriously, stay home this time, okay? Pretty please?" to have much effect.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    As a Nottingham, I am not anxious to welcome the overflow of people looking to get absolutely ratted in public for the first time in three months.

• manjimanji Registered User regular
    same. not that i was planning on heading into town on Saturday, but this 100% knocks it off the agenda.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I've a feeling we're going to see a reckoning between reality and human stupidity with this premature relaxing. My money is on human stupidity...

Not for the first time I'm profoundly grateful the Scottish NHS is devolved.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    My driving instructor - mayherestinpeace - imparted these words of wisdom to me. "It's not your driving you have to worry about. It's everyone else's."

Transposing this adage, I've basically not relaxed my own vigilance.

• manjimanji Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    As a Nottingham, I am not anxious to welcome the overflow of people looking to get absolutely ratted in public for the first time in three months.

Derby vs Forest game on Saturday too. i look forward to us having no hospital beds 2 weeks hence. re-opening the pubs on a Saturday really is an act of breathtaking stupidity.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    My money is on human stupidity.
    No-one ever went hungry betting on this.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

Not sure you could eat well on those odds.

• Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    How often do you see this in Parliament? A former Prime Minister obviously furious about a decision made by their own party... Fairly extraordinary scenes in this clip:

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

Not sure you could eat well on those odds.

There's probably enough stupid people to give decent odds.

I'd bet on it.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    How often do you see this in Parliament? A former Prime Minister obviously furious about a decision made by their own party... Fairly extraordinary scenes in this clip:

Ooh, those are absolutely filthy looks she's throwing Gove. I love it. :D

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    https://twitter.com/archer_rs/status/1277505330885386240

An english person living in France dealing with a couple who may have to sell their holiday house during to brexit. It starts off a bit slow but quickly escalates.

Mc zany on
    She's thinking she didn't sack him hard enough the first time.

• PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »

An english person living in France dealing with a couple who may have to sell their holiday house during to brexit. It starts off a bit slow but quickly escalates.

Please say this is a fictional account?

I saw that last night and each new tweet is a delicious course of a never-ending meal of schadenfreude.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

It's a fictional account.
    It probably isn't.

It's tough to tell from the thread, but it seems like they're not even looking into what would be required for residency, just demanding the problem be 'fixed'. Seems on brand for a lot of people who voted for Brexit.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

It probably isn't.

It's tough to tell from the thread, but it seems like they're not even looking into what would be required for residency, just demanding the problem be 'fixed'. Seems on brand for a lot of people who voted for Brexit.

Like, on the one hand mmm delicious schadenfreude. But on the other I feel bad for the couple because they've been absolutely fucked over by their own government, even if they're too dumb to realize it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Yeah but at what point do they realise the calls were coming from inside their own house!?

Polaritie wrote: »

It probably isn't.

Like, on the one hand mmm delicious schadenfreude. But on the other I feel bad for the couple because they've been absolutely fucked over by their own government, even if they're too dumb to realize it.

What's striking to me is that there seems to be some amount of people who voted for Brexit, recognized that Brexit won, and yet kept on about their lives as though Brexit was going to have zero impact on them. Doublethink, stupidity, and I guess living in the EU for so long that they don't have a firm grasp of what happens due to the EU vs. the UK; but for all of that, thinking that leaving the EU would have no impact on their ability to live in the EU is still pretty impressive.

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

It probably isn't.

The voted to get fucked. Like, what's happening to them is literally the only point of Brexit. It's what Brexit is all about. That's the one thing they wanted out of Brexit.
    They just were too full of themselves to realize it would happen to them too. Still are, given how they are reacting.

I feel sorry for people who are going to lose their jobs and livelihoods after voting for Brexit while under false assumptions. I cannot, however, find a scintilla of empathy for people whose luxurious retirement plans in the south of France are scuppered for the same reason.

Tough shit, idiots.

• 101101 Registered User regular
    I think I'm missing something on this aspect of brexit, how are they losing their France home. It is that they won't qualify for residency?

• Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    101 wrote: »
    I think I'm missing something on this aspect of brexit, how are they losing their France home. It is that they won't qualify for residency?

I think it's also that they won't be able to (afford to) live there in retirement: They no longer have the reciprocal health care agreement between the U.K. and the E.U., their tax rates may be significantly higher, and the time per year that they can actually reside at the property is seriously curtailed?

Special K wrote: »

I think it's also that they won't be able to (afford to) live there in retirement: They no longer have the reciprocal health care agreement between the U.K. and the E.U., their tax rates may be significantly higher, and the time per year that they can actually reside at the property is seriously curtailed?

I'd assume the killer problem is residency. Taxes and health care might be something that they can handle for a little while. Suck it up and pay the taxes and just head back to the UK every few months for drugs and checkups assuming they're in relatively good health; but maintaining two households because leaving the EU means you can no longer just up and live in the EU is probably a bridge too far. Dunno though.

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

I'd assume the killer problem is residency. Taxes and health care might be something that they can handle for a little while. Suck it up and pay the taxes and just head back to the UK every few months for drugs and checkups assuming they're in relatively good health; but maintaining two households because leaving the EU means you can no longer just up and live in the EU is probably a bridge too far. Dunno though.

You can't (as far as I'm aware) just come back to England to make use of the NHS every so often if you aren't a resident there.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    These people eerily mirror how my dad thinks re Brexit in that if there's any negative consequences it's entirely someone else's fault.

Still yet to get an answer out of my Dad as to how Brexit will make his children and grand children's lives better.

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »

You can't (as far as I'm aware) just come back to England to make use of the NHS every so often if you aren't a resident there.

Can confirm that you absolutely cannot do this.

SharpyVII wrote: »
    These people eerily mirror how my dad thinks re Brexit in that if there's any negative consequences it's entirely someone else's fault.

Still yet to get an answer out of my Dad as to how Brexit will make his children and grand children's lives better.

No forriners

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

No forriners

Jerbs!

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »

Ironically, one of the things foreigners are accused of doing

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Mr.WangtangMr.Wangtang Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »

Ironically, one of the things foreigners are accused of doing

I think you could avail of some NHS services as a non resident if you had an EHIC, but obviously that's not relevant anymore.

This discussion has been closed.