As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New [movie] thread, same as the old one. New Bill and Ted, out soon!

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

This movie may have started the trope that if a SPAS shotgun shows up in a movie, the movie will not end until at least one character is killed onscreen with it.

This is an interesting observation because I can only think of 2 movies that I've seen that have very notable on-screen uses of the SPAS: Snatch and Jurassic Park, and no one is killed onscreen by it in either film.

I guess thinking about it, there's The Matrix but that's borderline IMO because it's not exactly highlighted or featured, it's just used by the mooks and very briefly by Trinity.

I believe there's a SPAS in Snatch as well? ("It's a fucking anti-aircraft gun, Vincent!") IIRC it gets fired but only to blow a hole in a security door.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I know absolutely nothing about the SPAS other than it's a kickass looking gun and was the best in James Bond Agent Under Fire.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    B. Rosenberger Rosenberg (yes, that’s the name), a frustrated film critic and academic, facing down the back half of his lackluster career, stumbles upon a man who may have created just the thing to secure B.’s place in academic history: a film that is three months long. B. agrees to the man’s terms—he will watch the entire thing, start to finish (pausing only to eat and sleep), and then at the end of that time, he will destroy the man’s movie—in hopes that the exclusive knowledge will leapfrog him to a place of professorial and popular success.

Is this:
    a: A cut storyline from Infinite Jest.
    b: The premise of Charlie Kaufman's new novel.
    c: A parody of what "a Charlie Kaufman novel" might be.
    d: Yeah.

Isn't he dea- no wait, I'm thinking of Charles Krauthammer.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    BlankZoe wrote: »

Nolan in a race with JKR to kill his reputation the fastest in 2020 (more so the open my movie now, what's a Covid? stuff than for this, but this sucks too).

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

Nolan in a race with JKR to kill his reputation the fastest in 2020 (more so the open my movie now, what's a Covid? stuff than for this, but this sucks too).

I feel like nothing about Nolan being an arrogant jerk comes even close to JKR being on a bigoted crusade

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The SPAS is a cool lookin Italian made combat shotgun with some weird arguably nifty features that mainly caught on in entertainment media on account of being very expensive

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

Anne Hathaway must be thinking the same thing here

That or “where the fuck is my chair, Chris?”

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Can’t find it now, but I saw an amusing variant of that Nolan story that had pictures of people sitting in chairs (including Hathaway). Like, not casually relaxing, but from the scenes within his films.

I didn’t read the story, because I assumed it was a joke of some kind.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Hobnail wrote: »
    The SPAS is a cool lookin Italian made combat shotgun with some weird arguably nifty features that mainly caught on in entertainment media on account of being very expensive

See also: the FN P90, mostly known for Stargate SG1 and many video games

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

I feel like nothing about Nolan being an arrogant jerk comes even close to JKR being on a bigoted crusade

JKR is being bigoted to vulnerable people, which will hurt or kill some people.
    Nolan tried to force studios to get theaters open in July, which would have killed some people. We'll see about the August timing.

Other than intent, I don't see the difference.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Intentional bigotry is more evil and reprehensible than idiocy

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Who is JKR?

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    That which stalks the night

Uh I mean JK Rowling

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Who is JKR?

Harry Potter author, JK Rowling

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Who is JKR?

Transphobe JK Rowling

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Rowling said some really dumb shit about trans women, people rightly pushed back on it, and instead of stepping back and considering that she might have been wrong, has decided that full blown mask off transphobia should be a major defining aspect of her character.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Writes a story about a child who is different from others but can’t place why, raised by an abusive family of bigots, turns out being different is amazing: is also a transphobe.

People ain’t got no introspection.

Reminder that the reason he is special and different is because he's just not the same as the vulgar low class people he was placed with.

He actually belongs in a more special society, where he is a rich celebrity.

• Special KSpecial K Registered User regular

Okay, I've got to get this out because it bothers me every time I see that picture quoted.

Hathaway looks ill to me in this picture, unhealthily thin.

I apologize to anyone reading this who has a waistline like that but ... damn, how do you even maintain a core temperature like that?

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Her physique isn't your business

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Hollywood (and many other parts of society) expecting women to be thin to the point of unhealthiness is a pretty entrenched problem.

Women's bodies should not be subject to approval, I agree.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Tube, whatever you're actually trying to say with these posts, what's coming across is that you don't think western society has spent decades promoting unreasonable body standards and outright encouraging young women and girls to be anorexic. Which I don't think is what you're actually trying to say. Maybe rethink your approach here dude.

I'm going to step away from the conversation now, because I watched my sister (and some of her friends, and some of my friends, and some of my friends' adult parents) struggle hard with anorexia as teenagers and they're still struggling as adults because that never actually goes entirely away, so it's completely impossible for me to approach this topic in a calm manner.

I'm sorry for inadvertently triggering bad memories in you. I won't continue this discussion any further.

• Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I saw Trainwreck again today.

Man, that movie's cast is absolutely stacked. And yet somehow, among all these A-listers and brilliant character actors, the real standouts are John Cena and LeBron James.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    You can just tell that LeBron and Cena are having so much fun.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    ya'll seen The Color Out of Space? I watched it last night.

It's got some primo Nic Cage and it is goddam nuts. Supremely dope noises and visuals, of course. Tommy Chong is in it!

I think the Colour is the color you see when you close your eyes and press your palms against them

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    The Color Purple...Out of Space.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    The Color Purple...Out of Space.

Whoopi Goldberg, Danny Glover, Oprah Winfrey, and the energy being from beyond the stars that brings them all together.
    Literally.

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Man, for a movie about a dead baby who is brought back to life by electricity, develops "electrokinetic" powers, and goes on a murder spree as she grows up and tries to find her mother, Reborn sure is very boring. Those 75 minutes felt like forever.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    It's adorable that they think that

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I am like not even optimistic Ill see a movie in a theater in 2021

Or ever again really

aGPmIBD.jpg
    edited June 2020
    Crippl3 wrote: »

ew, Unhinged is a road rage film starring Russell Crowe

I'll still probably see it but that's the one film there that screams "this will most likely suck"

Antebellum is definitely gonna be the highlight there for me. Definitely day one

Sweeney Tom on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I know nothing about Unhinged but sounds like it could go either way, tbh

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Just get Green Knight on a streaming service.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    I'm actually a bit disappointed Antebellum won't be delayed. I really want to see that in theaters, but hell if I'm stepping foot in one until a working vaccine is injected into my bloodstream. Whiiiiich sucks. I mean, I want Tenet to be delayed, too, but no way Nolan was every putting that off until 2021.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I would not be surprised if, assuming the existence of movie theaters in the future, there were some limited rescreenings of movies that came out during the back half of this year

This discussion has been closed.