As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

National Protests are Still a Thing Because of [Police Brutality]

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    yeah that dude's got an expensive surveillance system and so do the neighbors, and weirdly none of them are going to be functional right now. Huh, strange.

If there's any justice, the Ring twitter account will hang them out to dry after they claim their gear is busted.

Hopefully their firearms share a similar level of neglect.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    yeah that dude's got an expensive surveillance system and so do the neighbors, and weirdly none of them are going to be functional right now. Huh, strange.

If there's any justice, the Ring twitter account will hang them out to dry after they claim their gear is busted.

Sadly Ring won't take a side, except in whatever way it will lead to more of those sweet, sweet police contracts.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    He's trying the “they were coming right at us” justification, larding his bullshit with words like “horde” and “tide” because Tucker Carlson has stoked his paranoia to the point where he’s peeking through his curtains for the day when they come for him.

i really hope this defence gets absolutely eviscerated

if you have time to go get up from your meal, go inside, arm yourself and your wife and come back outside in time for the protestors to be like 40 feet from your front door, they weren't coming straight for you

my dude just wanted to do his best Tony Montana impression for the world to see

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Gee, it's almost like that couple (and those immediately siding with them) are part of the reason why people are protesting to begin with

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    He's trying the “they were coming right at us” justification, larding his bullshit with words like “horde” and “tide” because Tucker Carlson has stoked his paranoia to the point where he’s peeking through his curtains for the day when they come for him.

i really hope this defence gets absolutely eviscerated

if you have time to go get up from your meal, go inside, arm yourself and your wife and come back outside in time for the protestors to be like 40 feet from your front door, they weren't coming straight for you

my dude just wanted to do his best Tony Montana impression for the world to see

This was it, the moment he dreamed of and bought those guns for.

(And promptly put away and never practiced with or learned to shoot responsibly.)

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Just a reminder Saint Louis is where after a black DA was elected in 2018, before he even took office, the public prosecutors unionized by joining the police union.

Also iirc there is the general police union, and then a 2nd union for black officers...yeah.

http://www.stlamerican.com/news/columnists/charles_jaco/staff-prosecutors-joining-police-union-sends-wesley-bell-a-message/article_f7cef224-03a7-11e9-874a-4b02da70a715.html

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Just a reminder Saint Louis is where after a black DA was elected in 2018, before he even took office, the public prosecutors unionized by joining the police union.

Also iirc there is the general police union, and then a 2nd union for black officers...yeah.

http://www.stlamerican.com/news/columnists/charles_jaco/staff-prosecutors-joining-police-union-sends-wesley-bell-a-message/article_f7cef224-03a7-11e9-874a-4b02da70a715.html

Also, the State of Missouri, is ground zero of the ; "Mason-Dixon" line, and most recently, "Furgeson".

A lot of what we are seeing in St. Louis, wasn't by accident. It's habitually from prior history.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »

Also, the State of Missouri, is ground zero of the ; "Mason-Dixon" line, and most recently, "Furgeson".

A lot of what we are seeing in St. Louis, wasn't by accident. It's habitually from prior history.

Technically Missouri didn’t have anything to do with the Mason Dixon line, the Mason Dixon line was a British Colonial era thing that was surveyed to seperate Pennsylvania from Maryland (at the time Delaware was part of Pennsylvania. It just so happened that for a number of economic and cultural reasons the slavery-free state line occured at that point, but this wasn’t really a factor until after the revolution, as Pennsylvania didn’t ban slavery until it became an independent state.

The free-slave state line in the west was the Ohio river and Illinois river, and then extended west along the Sullivan line which was the Iowa-Missouri border.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    With few exceptions, Missouri sucks balls no matter where you draw lines

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

To be fair, rich people are cheap, want to spend bottom dollar on things like cameras, and expect them to work forever.

Not that I buy their excuse, but it's not that farfetched.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    With few exceptions, Missouri sucks balls no matter where you draw lines

I'm more of a blows goats inhabitant of the state.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Clearly the solution to these problems is to bring back redlining???

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

I mean, yeah. He's just saying the quiet part loud again.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So the governor of Iowa's vehicle struck a protester in Iowa. They weren't seriously injured but it's fucking infuriating on multiple levels.

(Tweets are from the protester who was struck.)

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Missouri assault rifle guy was just on CNN being really smug about how the only reason he's still alive after that gun wielding mob of raiders attempted to burn down his house was because he went and got his gun. He's pretty outraged at how unfair it is that he's being victimized for threatening protesters that were walking by his house.

Apparently he had just previously been on Fox News and it was a real scaremongering session about how the violent masses are coming to kill all the white people.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The man should not be allowed on any news program without the reporter interrupting him to tell him that the bullshit he spouted is contradicted by video evidence from multiple witnesses.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Xantomas wrote: »
    Missouri assault rifle guy was just on CNN being really smug about how the only reason he's still alive after that gun wielding mob of raiders attempted to burn down his house was because he went and got his gun. He's pretty outraged at how unfair it is that he's being victimized for threatening protesters that were walking by his house.

Apparently he had just previously been on Fox News and it was a real scaremongering session about how the violent masses are coming to kill all the white people.

Still lying his ass off over what actually happened, I presume.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Wasn't he legally hit because of this policy before? Something tells me he's looking at a "just in case" scenario for losing the November election. Like he wants to go back into real-estate and not be hindered by as many laws.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

As a law abiding Missouri gun owner (Winchester 70 in .308 and Benelli 12 gauge properly locked away from their ammo), I so want him and his wife to get sued for assault/unlawful use of a weapon and lose their 2nd amendment rights. And if the Missouri Bar Association wants to look at their credentials after that, I wouldn't object.

I know given their income level it's a bit of a pipe dream, but once upon a time I was an optimist.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020

ugh why the right always gotta go and make the left seem so much cooler than we really are?!

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    And in Seattle we have a truck driver attacking protesters. Driving around other stopped cars to do it, so there's not a lot of excuses here.
    (rando with the video)

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I am so freaking glad nobody got hurt. Good lord.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    According to further posts on the tweet the guy was a DoorDash driver making a delivery.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    According to further posts on the tweet the guy was a DoorDash driver making a delivery.

Monsters have day jobs, I guess. Geeze.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Still lying his ass off over what actually happened, I presume.

I'd bet he actually thinks that's what happened.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

The ambulence-chaser lawyers have lawyered up and are probably doing what that lawyer said to do.
    In Hammon v. Harris, Watkins garnered the first verdict of its kind against a young female who falsely accused a policeman of engaging in sexual relations and snorting cocaine with a female patron of a restaurant at which the policeman was working a security shift. When the defendant would not appear for her deposition, Watkins procured an order mandating the woman be brought into custody and held in jail pending her deposition. During the ensuing video deposition, Watkins swiftly got the woman to confess and admit the allegations were false. The video deposition swiftly became an internet sensation. A six-figure judgment was entered in favor of the policeman. The woman committed suicide thereafter.

Turns out they are the second-scummiest lawyers in St. Louis because they hired the scummiest.

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

The ambulence-chaser lawyers have lawyered up and are probably doing what that lawyer said to do.
    In Hammon v. Harris, Watkins garnered the first verdict of its kind against a young female who falsely accused a policeman of engaging in sexual relations and snorting cocaine with a female patron of a restaurant at which the policeman was working a security shift. When the defendant would not appear for her deposition, Watkins procured an order mandating the woman be brought into custody and held in jail pending her deposition. During the ensuing video deposition, Watkins swiftly got the woman to confess and admit the allegations were false. The video deposition swiftly became an internet sensation. A six-figure judgment was entered in favor of the policeman. The woman committed suicide thereafter.

Turns out they are the second-scummiest lawyers in St. Louis because they hired the scummiest.

Witness intimidation - it’s only wrong when they do it.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    In this purging of blackface there's some glaring omissions. Star Trek TNG and DS9 both had actors in actual, literal black face, most notably Gowron and Martok (Robert O'Reilly and JG Hertzler).

N...no.

Gowron and Martok's skin tone is not all that dissimilar from my own after a day in the sun, and I am most definitely white.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Flavortown cops are still the worst but we have taken down the fuck-off sized statue of Columbus at city hall, so everything is fixed!

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

As a law abiding Missouri gun owner (Winchester 70 in .308 and Benelli 12 gauge properly locked away from their ammo), I so want him and his wife to get sued for assault/unlawful use of a weapon and lose their 2nd amendment rights. And if the Missouri Bar Association wants to look at their credentials after that, I wouldn't object.

I know given their income level it's a bit of a pipe dream, but once upon a time I was an optimist.
    Did they fire their guns or wield them?

I believe that assault is only usable if the weapon is discharged.

The unlawful firearm exception might apply. It’s going to depend if the street was public or private. Going into a gated community might make them trespassers (Regardless of breaking the gate or opening it, doesn’t matter). And in Missouri it is a stand your ground state. So if the HOA owns the street they likely won’t get a conviction, and the prosecutor will likely avoid charging.

It’s going to be interesting, but I doubt much will come of it. Jury selection will be hell. How do you avoid the issue that half or more of the jury pool voted for Trump.

I mean they acted ridiculous and racist, but this is going to be really hard to win.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    That does not look like Lindell Drive in St Louis, across from the park.

That's because it's not Lindell Drive, it's Portland Place, where the actual property that we are talking about is located. The street is private, not public. It is owned and maintained by the property owners, not the city.
    ALKk5CW.png

Unless you have an existing easement, you have no right to be there without the property owner's permission, and you need to leave immediately if asked to. Everything they did was legal.

Listen if you are concerned that the sans cullotes are going to swing a meat cleaver through your spine you should 1): stay inside and 2): reconsider your entire life

Pointing a gun you have clearly never fired at an angry mob is begging for you to reflexively pull the trigger after something startles you and accidentally starting a revolution

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

The unlawful firearm exception might apply. It’s going to depend if the street was public or private. Going into a gated community might make them trespassers (Regardless of breaking the gate or opening it, doesn’t matter). And in Missouri it is a stand your ground state. So if the HOA owns the street they likely won’t get a conviction, and the prosecutor will likely avoid charging.

It’s going to be interesting, but I doubt much will come of it. Jury selection will be hell. How do you avoid the issue that half or more of the jury pool voted for Trump.

I mean they acted ridiculous and racist, but this is going to be really hard to win.

You win by threatening the case, draining their cash with legal fees, and letting them plead down to brandishing, which I feel like is the actual crime here.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Nah, assault is the threat iirc, so brandishing almost certainly covers it. And the status of the street is irrelevant because the homeowners are not the HOA and so trespass can't apply with respect to the homeowners. I'm not aware of any state where a stand your ground law would let me shoot someone on my neighbor's property.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Nah, assault is the threat iirc, so brandishing almost certainly covers it. And the status of the street is irrelevant because the homeowners are not the HOA and so trespass can't apply with respect to the homeowners. I'm not aware of any state where a stand your ground law would let me shoot someone on my neighbor's property.

don't worry, this case will set the precedent

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular

You win by threatening the case, draining their cash with legal fees, and letting them plead down to brandishing, which I feel like is the actual crime here.

They can all file a separate case individually, right?

• Options

Except assholes like this have self defense insurance which pays for legal fees in cases like this.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Florida?

It depends on if they were commuting a crime, if any of the protestors had anything that looked like a weapon. It’s going to be really hard to win.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Putting the tweet in a spoiler as it is pretty violent but PDX police continue to show why we need to defund the fucking police.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Except assholes like this have self defense insurance which pays for legal fees in cases like this.

That sort of "insurance" is illegal in several states IIRC - it's why the NRA got into legal trouble for their "Carry Guard" product.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited July 2020

That sort of "insurance" is illegal in several states IIRC - it's why the NRA got into legal trouble for their "Carry Guard" product.
    True, but I do not believe Missouri is one of those states.

And I am correct the only states those are outlawed and are in New York New Jersey and Washington. NRA is currently seeking injunctive relief against New York’s law and federal court. I believe they are going after New York slot because it is more aggressively written, and force it into the supreme court arena so they can use it as a Precident it have all of them turn over. And with the current Supreme court leading that is quite likely.

zepherin on
This discussion has been closed.