As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DC! Thread Title Update

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Here's my pitch for a Suicide Squad Kills the Justice League story
    Lex Luthor, America's wealthiest philanthropist, has been elected president of the United States of America.

Less than a year into his presidency, the Justice League, an international organization with no direct oversight, was involved in an international incident that resulted in the loss of countless lives. While spokespeople for the Justice League claim that they weren't involved, that they were trying to stop the disaster from taking place, all video evidence seems to point to the contrary. Due to these allegations, alongside widespread protest and international pressure, the Justice League has effectively disbanded, with its members going into hiding.

President Luthor does not believe that this is enough. He believes that the members of the Justice League, many of whom are Americans, should be brought to justice themselves. He has called upon Amanda Waller, the leader of Task Force X, to use her team of semi-reformed supervillains (many of whom bear a grudge against members of the Justice League already) to hunt them down and, if they're unable to capture them alive, kill and unmask them.

Through the course of getting to the Justice League and defeating their various members, this story seems to become shakier and shakier. Finally, after tracking Batman back to his underground lair and defeating him, the evidence is discovered on his computer - the Justice League has been telling the truth all along. The videos from the incident were manipulated, and the person who really orchestrated the tragedy was none other than President Lex Luthor.

But with the Justice League captured or defeated, who would be able to reveal the truth and take him down? He's locked himself into the bunker of a heavily militarized White House - trying to get him out of there would be a suicide mission.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Who do we think is the playable cast of this supposed Suicide Squad game?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Who do we think is the playable cast of this supposed Suicide Squad game?
    Harley and Deadshot are 100% guaranteed

Boomerang too, probably

CYpGAPn.png
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Harleen Quinzell, Deadshot, Captain Boomerang, Katana and BANE.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I would guess Harley, Deadshot, Boomerang, and either Killer Croc or King Shark are locks. Then lots of wiggle room for weird picks after that.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    My Suicide Squad dream team wouldn't happen, first and foremost because it doesn't include Harley

But I would still love it if we could get Nightshade on the team

Personally I would pick

Harley
    Deadshot
    Boomerang
    Bronze Tiger
    Nightshade
    King Shark
    Killer Frost

CYpGAPn.png
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    Personally I would pick

Harley
    Deadshot
    Boomerang
    Bronze Tiger
    Nightshade
    King Shark
    Killer Frost

I might consider adding Vixen, but yeah, that's a good set for a character action game

(Obviously I love like, Nemesis and Rick Flag, but they're not exciting for an action focused game and would probably be better supporting cast)

Yeah I was trying to think of folks who would fill a game play niche as well as are rad characters

I love Catman but you don't need him AND Bronze Tiger

CYpGAPn.png
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    On an entirely different note I watched that Justice League Dark Apocalypse long title and....

It was a surprisingly heartbreaking sendoff to that universe? The Suicide squad stuff didn’t really land for me, but pretty much the entire ending sequence was great, in both dumb ways(Trigon Superman!) and great ways(“Be well, daughter.”)

Having another Flashpoint end that Universe was also....heartbreaking? but made total sense. It was great

Solid 8/10, never forget Hal Jordan getting dogpiled by Parademons.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    On an entirely different note I watched that Justice League Dark Apocalypse long title and....

It was a surprisingly heartbreaking sendoff to that universe? The Suicide squad stuff didn’t really land for me, but pretty much the entire ending sequence was great, in both dumb ways(Trigon Superman!) and great ways(“Be well, daughter.”)

Having another Flashpoint end that Universe was also....heartbreaking? but made total sense. It was great

Solid 8/10, never forget Hal Jordan getting dogpiled by Parademons.

I’m mildly disappointed that we never got heroic Dwight Luthor

Joolander on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    give me dlc with the new tom taylor squad

wanna be osita

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Lex Luthor, America's wealthiest philanthropist, has been elected president of the United States of America.

Less than a year into his presidency, the Justice League, an international organization with no direct oversight, was involved in an international incident that resulted in the loss of countless lives. While spokespeople for the Justice League claim that they weren't involved, that they were trying to stop the disaster from taking place, all video evidence seems to point to the contrary. Due to these allegations, alongside widespread protest and international pressure, the Justice League has effectively disbanded, with its members going into hiding.

President Luthor does not believe that this is enough. He believes that the members of the Justice League, many of whom are Americans, should be brought to justice themselves. He has called upon Amanda Waller, the leader of Task Force X, to use her team of semi-reformed supervillains (many of whom bear a grudge against members of the Justice League already) to hunt them down and, if they're unable to capture them alive, kill and unmask them.

Through the course of getting to the Justice League and defeating their various members, this story seems to become shakier and shakier. Finally, after tracking Batman back to his underground lair and defeating him, the evidence is discovered on his computer - the Justice League has been telling the truth all along. The videos from the incident were manipulated, and the person who really orchestrated the tragedy was none other than President Lex Luthor.

But with the Justice League captured or defeated, who would be able to reveal the truth and take him down? He's locked himself into the bunker of a heavily militarized White House - trying to get him out of there would be a suicide mission.

You kinda just adapted (spoiler tagging the TV title just in case, I know it doesn't really help)
    Young Justice season 3

Just skipping the Apokolips stuff and the Outsiders and adding the Squad

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    So, who's the person that shows up for like the first act of the game with some quirky power and then gets blown up by Waller to show she means business?
    And then shows up in the 3rd act as they're actually a League member in disguise?

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    Straightzi wrote: »

You kinda just adapted (spoiler tagging the TV title just in case, I know it doesn't really help)
    Young Justice season 3

Just skipping the Apokolips stuff and the Outsiders and adding the Squad

Yeah, that was definitely an inspiration.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    So, who's the person that shows up for like the first act of the game with some quirky power and then gets blown up by Waller to show she means business?
    And then shows up in the 3rd act as they're actually a League member in disguise?
    Kite Man!

Hell yeah

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Gotham Knights is reportedly a Court of Owls focused game and will let you play as the Bat-Family including Batgirl, Nightwing and Robin as well as Batman.

New Game+ mode needs to add Bat-mite as playable character, and your reality-warping powers let you access the debug menu.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    But which Batgirl and Robin are in the Court of Owls game?

sig.gif
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Scott Snyder and other men in the comics industry are going around and tweeting an image of ~solidarity~ that they won't abuse women

Here is why it is useless and performative

CYpGAPn.png
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    hm. don't think that will be enough

aGPmIBD.jpg
    it fucking drives me insane. all of this silence so they dont threaten the noble art of writing fucking batman comics

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Also exciting to see all the stand up comedians not even doing this basic shit because they have to defend telling women be shopping jokes

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Christ. Just let people who tell good stories and aren't gross fucks write comic books. Why all this weird gender gating and shit? Hell half of characters in comic are either women or not even human beings. I, as a fan of comics, want to read good stories and not feel gross that they were written by a scum bag. I just don't understand why comics, and video games, and fucking eveything else has to have such a problem with women, people of color, or people of different sexual orientation.

Like yes, I know this is the most generic statement a person could make, but I legit just don't get it.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    one cynical theory I've heard is that they avoid hiring women because they won't stop the men from sexually harassing and assaulting them

BahamutZERO.gif
    one cynical theory I've heard is that they avoid hiring women because they won't stop the men from sexually harassing and assaulting them

That's less a theory and more a well documented history of certain editors

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Berganza I have specifically heard that about.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    If the people in charge of hiring people and/or mentoring new comics are shitty men, they're very likely to keep bringing in new shitty men, and they're less likely to go, "hey, stop being shitty," because that generally requires realizing or caring that your own behavior is shitty. These are systemic problems, and none of these major comics companies care all that much about taking care of anyone that works for them, let alone the most vulnerable people that work for them, so there's no real recourse for the people who are being harmed.

And then you have the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, which was set up to provide legal aid to comics creators and others in the industry, even as they employed a man who was credibly and publicly accused of sexual assault in fucking 2005. Not only did they keep him on until like, two fucking days ago, they didn't even have the courage to fire him. There has to be a reckoning in comics, and I don't know that there's anyone in that industry I really trust to do it, at this point.

Fencingsax wrote: »
    Berganza I have specifically heard that about.
    Yeah it is pretty well documented

CYpGAPn.png
    https://www.cbr.com/scott-lobdell-new-sexual-misconduct-allegations-surface/

Scott Lobdell announced he was leaving the Red Hood book after 10 years. Immediately afterwards, tweets about sexual abuse from him were posted

He admitted to sexual abuse back in 2013 (his victim didn't name him, he confessed to it) and STILL worked at DC for another 7 years.

His post about leaving the book says it's his last freelance book, so here's hoping no one hires him in the future

really wish there were other things to talk about in comics!! but this shit is more important

It is fucking disgusting that he has stayed there for so long but the fact that he is getting a big FAREWELL, END OF AN ERA goodbye (with the horrendous gross Starfire New 52 costume on the cover, even) NOW is just

Jesus fucking christ I am so angry and tired

CYpGAPn.png
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    It is fucking disgusting that he has stayed there for so long but the fact that he is getting a big FAREWELL, END OF AN ERA goodbye (with the horrendous gross Starfire New 52 costume on the cover, even) NOW is just

Jesus fucking christ I am so angry and tired

ewwwww.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    A brand new way to hate Lobdell huh. I already had so many varied ways...

Tom King is working on some kind of Watchmen book, it seems.

He tweeted and then deleted a bit of Jorge Fornes Rorschach art a while back

And then tweeted this page from an unannounced maxi-series, also from Fornes:
    1jabv0ry9cg5.jpg

And folks figured out, via the high resolution version, that the painting in the first two panels is the same one that Ozymandias has behind him in the I DID IT panel of Watchmen. Its not a real painting, so it only exists in that world.

King's stock has dipped a bit for me between Batman ending with a thud and Strange Adventures doing nothing for me

But he can be good and the Watchmen TV show proved a sequel/prequel to that story can be incredible so who knows

CYpGAPn.png
    You lost me at Watchmen and then got me back with that art. I've loved Fornes' Batman issues (the art at least)

You lost me at Watchmen and then got me back with that art. I've loved Fornes' Batman issues (the art at least)
    You should check out Zdarsky's Daredevil. Its very good period, but Fornes joined the rotating art team about halfway through and is mind-blowingly good.

CYpGAPn.png
    You should check out Zdarsky's Daredevil. Its very good period, but Fornes joined the rotating art team about halfway through and is mind-blowingly good.

I've been reading it since it started. It's great!

I would put money on Tom King Jorge Fornes Watchmen being a tie in with the tv show.

aGPmIBD.jpg