As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MCU] Nevermind, just a case of the ol' ALF method.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    OremLK wrote: »
    If Tom Cruise can play a not-short guy in 16 bajillion movies Hugh Jackman can play a short one in 7 or 8 (or whatever it was). His handsome has always been the more rugged type anyway, especially since he bulked up for the role.

Now I'm picturing Jackman playing Wolverine, but doing that thing you did as a kid where you walk around with shoes on your knees

And make the accent they give him Newfoundlander and I could die happy right there.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    If Tom Cruise can play a not-short guy in 16 bajillion movies Hugh Jackman can play a short one in 7 or 8 (or whatever it was). His handsome has always been the more rugged type anyway, especially since he bulked up for the role.

Now I'm picturing Jackman playing Wolverine, but doing that thing you did as a kid where you walk around with shoes on your knees

And make the accent they give him Newfoundlander and I could die happy right there.

The Hark! A Vagrant! comic comes to mind.

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    they should just make him talk like the hockey players from Letterkenny.

"You want a tilly, bub?" [snikt] "Let's have a donnybrook!"

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    I was thinking about how much I'd love for Jared Keeso to cameo in a Deadpool movie as a Canadian superhero saying the most Shoresy shit possible.

Reznik wrote: »
    they should just make him talk like the hockey players from Letterkenny.

"You want a tilly, bub?" [snikt] "Let's have a donnybrook!"

Letterkenny accent like a 2nd cousin to Newfoundland accent, so that could work too

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    All the Canadian superheroes:

Logan: Fuck off buddy.
    Nelvana: He’s not your buddy, guy!
    CPT Canuck: He’s not your guy, friend!
    Northstar: She’s not your friend, buddy!
    Sasquatch: He‘s not your buddy, guy!
    Deadpool: South Park already did this.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    I have no idea who you could cast nowadays that fit the comic Wolverine well enough.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    I have no idea who you could cast nowadays that fit the comic Wolverine well enough.

The movies are never going to replicate the comics, so I think as a concern, it's not a huge one.

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I say Andy Serkis. He may not be five foot two, but he's closer than the rest of Hollywood.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • StempyStempy Registered User regular
    My current choice is Wes Chatham

Jack Black

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    I say Andy Serkis. He may not be five foot two, but he's closer than the rest of Hollywood.

Oh the things he can make that voice do. And he's a pretty bushy dude.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Hugh Jackman was pretty much unknown before X-Men; maybe they'd do that again with the role.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Hugh Jackman was pretty much unknown before X-Men; maybe they'd do that again with the role.

William Jackson Harper, because fuck it, I just want it. I don't care that Logan is a white guy from Canada.

And it's not like he doesn't have the physical attributes (other than being black) or acting chops.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Isn't Wolverine meant to be a Danny DeVito part goblin type? Chidi is a straight up hottie.

Oh brilliant
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind if the MCU leaves Logan by the wayside for a little while. The character had a good run and ended on a high note, just let him rest and maybe pay attention to some of the other X-Men. Like Colossus, who's had for more done with him as Deadpool's straight man than ever happened in any of the Fox movies.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Canada was originally going to be called Cnd but then they had a Canadian spell it out loud.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

What is the accent Red Green has? That's the Logan i want.

steam_sig.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

What is the accent Red Green has? That's the Logan i want.

Never forget the handyman's secret weapon: foot-long impossibly-sharp retractable blades attached to your skeleton.

And duct tape.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

William Jackson Harper, because fuck it, I just want it. I don't care that Logan is a white guy from Canada.

And it's not like he doesn't have the physical attributes (other than being black) or acting chops.

I'm sorry but William Jackson Harper is locked in as my ideal Reed Richards.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

Man what have you got against Harper, Reed is the least interesting bit of the Fantastic Four

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

Man what have you got against Harper, Reed is the least interesting bit of the Fantastic Four

This is madness.

Reed Richards is great!

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Maybe the movies ruined them for me, but I find the Fantastic Four to be incredibly lame. I'm totally fine with them being excluded from the MCU in perpetuity.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Sorry, Reed Richards has to be played by John Krasinski.

camo_sig2.png
    Maybe the movies ruined them for me, but I find the Fantastic Four to be incredibly lame. I'm totally fine with them being excluded from the MCU in perpetuity.

Meanwhile I'd prefer if Ben Grimm was in every MCU film.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    The MCU is the one place the F4 might work, I think. They (and *especially* their A list villains) are too ingrained in the larger world to work alone. Doom needs to be cut off at the knees to work in a world where there's only one mid-tier super team to oppose him, and Galactus should be so lucky. And their B-list is a side show roster of silver age weirdness that the MCU revels in but in a world where sequels are every two years at best a studio isn't going to "waste" a movie on Mole Man or Blastaar when Doctor Doom is *right there.*

The MCU loves to throw that kind of B-list villains into the grinder so heroes can learn their powers and develop character, or just to hook the audience with an opening action scene, and a multi-faceted omni threat like Doom has proper opposition all around.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I still love the idea of this man being Reed Richards.

22waititi1-superJumbo.jpg

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    With Doom you could do Secret Wars, which is kind of the other big top tier cosmic crossover event on the scale of Infinity Gauntlet.

And that would mean that this character is the next Thanos.
    maxresdefault.jpg

H9f4bVe.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Harper is an amazing actor. Given that the MCU would likely put him either in a B villian role to be killed of immediately or a supporting character who gets 10 minutes of screen time for 5 movies.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I have never understood why people cared about how tall Jackman was; Logan being short is practically just a sight gag in the comics anyway.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I have never understood why people cared about how tall Jackman was; Logan being short is practically just a sight gag in the comics anyway.

Because I'm a short dude and representation is nice?

I still want a Japanese actor to play Wolverine, but if we're okay with another white dude, it's gotta be Christian Kane.

His entire, collective performance as Eliot Spencer on Leverage is his audition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcYR0EEkGmI

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Christian Kane is almost 50.

They're gonna wanna milk as many movies as possible out of whoever the new Wolverine is. He'll need to be no older than like 35.

Also, Logan being short is the whole point of his codename. Wolverines are tiny and vicious.

Also also, Logan should be some variety of mixed Indigenous ancestry. It fits the region and time period he's from, and smooths over some of the awkward parts of his early history.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I still want a Japanese actor to play Wolverine,

You sent me down a quick rabbit hole and man, I don't think I realized just how few well-known Japanese actors there are. Or least how I'd recognize. Ken Watanabe and Hiroyuki Sanada are really the only two I've seen in more than one movie in the last few years that I can find.

Bobble wrote: »
    I still want a Japanese actor to play Wolverine,

You sent me down a quick rabbit hole and man, I don't think I realized just how few well-known Japanese actors there are. Or least how I'd recognize. Ken Watanabe and Hiroyuki Sanada are really the only two I've seen in more than one movie in the last few years that I can find.

Finding someone akin to a younger Toshiro Mifune or Sonny Chiba is my ideal Wolverine casting.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Why Japanese? I only really know the character from movies and the 90's cartoon, but isn't his time in Japan spent as a soldier with the Allies? I've got no beef with him being non white, but Japanese in particular seems like it changes the character significantly.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Sorry, Reed Richards has to be played by John Krasinski.

Getting drunk and slurring through a diatribe about George Soros and Benghazi at an uncomfortable Ben Grimm

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    The thing about the F4 is that they are a family. They got to know each other outside of their civilian professions before they became super heroes. That's story potential not otherwise seen in the MCU.

Also maybe you could have the Richard's be a mixed race couple?

edited July 2020
    There are a variety of reasons why I want William Jackson Harper to be Reed Richards.

But this is a major one.

I also want Reed Richards to scream about the TIME KNIFE!

Zonugal on
This discussion has been closed.