As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PlayStation4 / PSN] PS3+Vita games are back on the menu, boys!

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    AC3 ruined the rest of the series for me
    Oh that guy whose arc you’ve been following for three games now? Dead. None of it mattered. Byeeeee

Three games? AC3 was the fifth game about that guy...

Ezio was in five games?

But I’m just joking, of course. I’m sure we all remember that the protagonist of the series was... Eric? Ian? Shane? He read those e-mails like a boss. Then he was in that sick AirBnB. And he walked around that empty walled town. And that alien shaman lady talked to him and was like, you must go to the Dagobah system. Then it was like grown-up Goonies for all of ten minutes. Nick? Ryan?

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The best modern Assassin's Creed plot was Blag Flag, where it was pretty much just "screw it, you're doing research to make a video game."

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    Played just a few minutes of couch co-op in For the King and it was uhh... Strange. Its turn based and you can make up to 3 characters, but it seems like anyone can control anything at any time. Like a co-op version of the honour system, the inputs on each controller register. :s

Witchsight.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The best modern Assassin's Creed plot was Blag Flag, where it was pretty much just "screw it, you're doing research to make a video game."

I actually found that (and the continued use of it in Rogue and Unity, at least) to be the weakest, least interesting part of those games. At least there was a through-line with Desmond that you could follow in the present day materials.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    The modern day stuff in AC is filler garbage. At least in Black Flag it was kinda funny filler garbage.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah it's funny when I first played AC I wanted more and more modern day stuff because it seemed really interesting to me. But after playing Origins and Odyssey I roll my eyes every time it pulls me out of these worlds.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I never got around to finishing ACIII (not because it was bad, because I was super duper burned out on the series at that point) and haven't played any since. I accepted the reality that it is a virtual impossibility that I will go back and replay the ones I missed up to this point, recently, and decided to just watch a bunch of spoilers.

And.

Hrm.

It didn't go where I thought it would go! I don't even think it went where they thought it would go. I'm not entirely sure if they even know what they're doing anymore with the "modern" stuff, and the absurdity of the lack of direction seems to have bled into the main campaigns of at least Odyssey, but also somewhat Origins.

Vikings looks like it could be potentially fun, but after all that I'm just imagining it's going to be just nonsense with all the norse gods and myths and monsters. Unfortunately, if that's the case, God of War preemptively took a piss on them with that.

I dunno, for how much they made the earlier games set in something resembling reality; even with the kinda-sci-fi-y stuff with the precursers, or whatever they were called, I wouldn't have expected to end up having you fight actual greek monsters and myths with a straight face, and then try to justify it.

I have to imagine I missed something in the years between ACIII and now where there was a massive change in who ran the series? Like, did all the original creators bail and then who took over said "fuck it, we're just gonna wear our underwear on our heads from here on out!"?

I know for a lot of people they would have been fine if there was no modern stuff at all. But personally, after, I wanna say Revelations? where you spent a bit of time playing as Desmond in the modern day with emerging powers, I felt like I could have taken an entire game with that. And based on everything up to then, and at least the beginning of ACIII, I genuinely thought that was inevitable.

:rotate:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Oh man, infinite kunais and infinite damage make for a it fun One Step From Eden run.

https://youtu.be/gjJKvnNvgW0

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I liked and was interested/invested in the modern stuff in AC... but by Revelations it became obviously clear they weren't going to ever "end" the story, instead opting to forever spin their wheels and keep the franchise going forever more. That's why it was actually somewhat shocking that they did write an ending in III. Albeit a pretty limp ending that just sets up the eternal wheel spinning the franchise will now take. I say this with the caveat that I haven't played Origins or Odyssey yet. But if the modern take is going to be nothing more than "You're playing a game about assassins!", then maybe they should just trash it, even though I'd lament it. Thinking on it and clarifying a bit, I'd say it's not so much a specific modern plot that I liked, but more the interplay between the past and present that was going on, along with the whole precursor/ancient/Those Who Came Before trope. If you won't ever do anything with that ever again... meh. I don't mind playing solely for the "climb around and kill dudes in this specific iconic time period". But for me the series will have lost a lot of its initial personality that I was really interested in.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I liked and was interested/invested in the modern stuff in AC... but by Revelations it became obviously clear they weren't going to ever "end" the story, instead opting to forever spin their wheels and keep the franchise going forever more. That's why it was actually somewhat shocking that they did write an ending in III. Albeit a pretty limp ending that just sets up the eternal wheel spinning the franchise will now take. I say this with the caveat that I haven't played Origins or Odyssey yet. But if the modern take is going to be nothing more than "You're playing a game about assassins!", then maybe they should just trash it, even though I'd lament it. Thinking on it and clarifying a bit, I'd say it's not so much a specific modern plot that I liked, but more the interplay between the past and present that was going on, along with the whole precursor/ancient/Those Who Came Before trope. If you won't ever do anything with that ever again... meh. I don't mind playing solely for the "climb around and kill dudes in this specific iconic time period". But for me the series will have lost a lot of its initial personality that I was really interested in.

Yeah, part of the importance of AC is the fact that actions of the past, and the way it played out, that those things echo down into whatever is happening in the modern times. Modern Assassin's Creed is, honestly, a really good idea for them to do even if they think it would be boring. I mean, they already linked Assassin's Creed Black Flag to the first Watch_Dogs, and then linked Watch_Dogs to AC Origins (I looked it up), so it's not like they don't have a modern setting interest, or the ability to do it.

Barring that, though, they should feel free to further cross-pollinate the two series, in my opinion.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Yeah, part of the importance of AC is the fact that actions of the past, and the way it played out, that those things echo down into whatever is happening in the modern times. Modern Assassin's Creed is, honestly, a really good idea for them to do even if they think it would be boring. I mean, they already linked Assassin's Creed Black Flag to the first Watch_Dogs, and then linked Watch_Dogs to AC Origins (I looked it up), so it's not like they don't have a modern setting interest, or the ability to do it.

Barring that, though, they should feel free to further cross-pollinate the two series, in my opinion.

They also need to loop Just Dance into it.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »

They also need to loop Just Dance into it.

Odyssey has a rabbid.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The idea of an Ubisoft Extended Universe makes my brain itch.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Assassins Creed vs. Just Dance vs. Rabbids vs. Mario?!?!

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Assassins Creed vs. Just Dance vs. Rabbids vs. Mario?!?!
    Special guest stars: Rayman, Family Board Game Night (Monopoly, Risk, etc.), and the primitive cavedude from Far Cry Primal?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I don’t know that I’d take a modern Assassin’s Creed over a title that just makes better use of the premise. I’d have your modern character, who is part of a cell of Assassins we haven’t seen yet, eluding Abstergo’s operatives while raiding real-world museums and private collections for historical clues of Templar meddling. Which in turn unlocks more memories of your ancestor to pick up this detective work in the past, and so on.

You’d follow a trail that leads to revelations about the nature of an SCP-like artifact the Templars are attempting to exploit without understanding it. What they see as a device capable of recovering genetic code of long-extinct animals, and profitably writing it into that of their distant relations, they naturally begin misusing. As you discover when you infiltrate an Abstergo lab only to be relentlessly pursued by a living specimen of Andalgalornis.

Perhaps it turns out the artifact is, instead, the very same tool used by the ancients to leave their messages for later recovery by Desmond and others. Guiding humanity, but also manipulating it. As the story unfolds, the task of locating and destroying it takes on new urgency, as the ancients begin to interfere with your animus sessions through your genetic memory. Ultimately promising immortality, an end to aging, to disease, and as these voices grow more insistent and unhinged toward the final encounter, vowing to end the cruelty of natural selection and impose order throughout the Universe if you will only agree to be their instrument.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    https://blog.playstation.com/2020/06/29/playstation-plus-july-games-lineup-a-thank-you-for-10-years-of-supporting-ps-plus/
    PSplus July

NBA 2k20
    Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration
    Erica

I don't think I could possibly care less.
    And I want to have Rise of the... playable on my account. (preferably even during blackouts, but...)

[edit] I know little about Erica, so . . . fingers crossed

[edit 2]
    10 years of PS+ . . . it sure used to be good, right...

Commodore75 on
  • Options
    I think Erica is a visual story or some sort.

Either way it's a pass for me on both. Ah well.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Rise of the Tomb Raider certainly feels like it came out 20 years ago.

• Options
    I liked the first tomb raider reboot, I'll play the second one sure why not

• Options
    I bought both Rise and Shadow on sale.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I don't think I have Rise... Oh wait I do on the PS3. This was the first reboot one right? I remember playing it after my wisdom teeth were taken out. Yes, I got them removed way late in life.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    I thought Rise was the best of the modern Tomb Raider games, so it’s a pretty nice thing to get off Plus if you have somehow avoided buying it all the times it has been super cheap on sale. 2013 was pretty good, too!

Shadow was... I found it to be a disappointing follow up. But Rise for free is good.

• Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I don't think I have Rise... Oh wait I do on the PS3. This was the first reboot one right? I remember playing it after my wisdom teeth were taken out. Yes, I got them removed way late in life.

No it’s the second game.

• Options
    They really should have just numbered the sequels IMO.

• Options
    I thought Rise was the best of the modern Tomb Raider games, so it’s a pretty nice thing to get off Plus if you have somehow avoided buying it all the times it has been super cheap on sale. 2013 was pretty good, too!

Shadow was... I found it to be a disappointing follow up. But Rise for free is good.

Hm, what was disappointing about it?

I dug the first two games, but after the second I felt like I had experienced enough Tomb Raider for a while. Maybe I should wait even longer before trying Shadows?

• Options
    I think I've played and completed all 3 of them but I honestly couldn't tell you.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

I dug the first two games, but after the second I felt like I had experienced enough Tomb Raider for a while. Maybe I should wait even longer before trying Shadows?

That's pretty much it right there. I thought Rise was rather good. Shadows, I've gotten something like 30% through then put it aside to return to some other time. Not that it's bad, it's just... enough for now.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I had completely forgotten about Fuser, aka Dropmix the videogame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvziSBSe1Tg

Looking forward to that!

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »

No it’s the second game.

Oh even better then. I haven't had a chance to play it.

Edit: Well crap, guess I already bought it. Hahahaha... Oh well.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options

That's pretty much it right there. I thought Rise was rather good. Shadows, I've gotten something like 30% through then put it aside to return to some other time. Not that it's bad, it's just... enough for now.

Ah, gotcha. I'm there with Far Cry. After playing 3, 4, and both their spinoff games, I'm all Far Cried out.

• Options

Storywise, Lara is really unlikeable. Like, she's always been kind of oh hah hah look at the posh British chick murdering people, but there's
    a cutscene where she just straight-up knifes a guy who is unarmed and trying frantically to escape from her.
    And there's a huge plot centered around
    meeting an indigenous tribe and of course becoming accepted into their tribe and becoming the person who has to complete their ritual that prevents the world from ending because the priestess who would normally do this gets dead.

Which is like, I am not particularly woke. I am in a lot of ways the antithesis of "woke", but even for me it was super tone deaf.

Setting the story aside, there are some bits where you are basically on rails and it's painfully obvious, like there's a super annoying forced stealthy bit where the setup is that you are separated from all of your weapons because reasons and you have to sneak through an area murdering people from conveniently-placed cover, which whatever. I get it.
    EXCEPT THEY ALL HAVE GUNS. BIG MASSIVE SHOOTY GUNS. And Lara will not pick up their guns because I dunno they have cooties or something and you get past all of the dudes you have murdered from stealth and then you find a BOW and Lara picks up the bow and then you're stuck in a sequence where you do a lot of stealth killing dudes and now you have a bow.

And after all of that you get your own guns back that don't have cooties and you go back to shooting mans.

Like, they could have stuck in an offhand line of "Oh noes! Trinity guns have some sort of weird biometric thing where they can only be used by a Trinity dude, Lara cannot pull the triggers!" and that would have gone a long way towards making that bit less dumb.

Anyway, I finished it and it was super pretty and did have some spectacular set pieces but there was a lot of rolling my eyes in the process.

• Options
    Wait at the end doesn't she... (Shadow spoilers... maybe Rise spoilers?)
    Fight off some sort of spirit and/or become one? Or is that in all of them? I literally don't even know anymore

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Shadow of the Tomb Raider benefits from the usual "much tighter polish, more developed mechanics" formula you see a lot in high-budget year-to-year-ish series (it also has much better low-light effects, though the environments are...not much more diverse? Hard to say.)

On the other hand, the series' development path leaned hard into "Lara Croft is basically 'Predator', but in human form, and with more guns, so go brutally dismember all these generic Uncharted mercenaries and hang them from tree branches as warning signs," so if you don't like that, tightening up the combat further won't impress you.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Erica is a pretty good FMV game if you're into the genre. I enjoyed it anyhow, it's only ~2 hours long.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

Erica is a pretty good FMV game if you're into the genre. I enjoyed it anyhow, it's only ~2 hours long.

I wonder if Netflix things like Bandersnatch and that new Kimmy Schmidt thing, might reach a wider audience if released to consoles. I've never used my PS4 for Netflix streaming, I just assume it's not a crafted experience.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular

I found it to just be really aggressively average. There was nothing particularly bad about it but nothing amazing either. It also all takes place in a jungle which, while a traditional setting for TR games, meant that it was pretty lacking in diversity of scenery.

Some of the tombs were pretty nice, though, and it did manage to make underwater sections that weren't terrible, so there was that, I guess.

cckerberos.png
  • Options

Ah, gotcha. I'm there with Far Cry. After playing 3, 4, and both their spinoff games, I'm all Far Cried out.

Weirdly, the only one I kinda wanna go back and play again is Far Cry 2. But typing that, just now, I remembered the malaria-based story progression. Nope, I’m good.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    I'm always surprised that it's the malaria that everyone always brings up.

For me, the instantly respawning guard posts were FC2's greatest sin.

cckerberos.png