As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quarantivity (or how to stay sane while working from home forever)

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Although probably the best scene that exemplifies the entire show is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGJH_-S_MGs

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I always want to chew a beer

come to downtown st. pete at 3pm in august then!

ybor too

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    no

st. pete is cool though

it's like portland without all the portland baggage

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I own Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister, they are great!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    st. pete is cool though

x3f0is23vtak.jpg

How do you get Portland without the baggage? What would that even look like?

Commander Zoom on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Stouts are basically the only type of beer I really don't like. Just way too thick, plus a lot of stouts seem to like to add a bit of coffee flavor which I am 100% not into.

A few years ago me and my roommates did our own brew of a chocolate oatmeal stout that turned out pretty good, but other than that I'm not really a fan.

PiptheFair wrote: »
    st. pete is cool though

x3f0is23vtak.jpg

How do you get Portland without the baggage? What would that even look like?

st. pete

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Although probably the best scene that exemplifies the entire show is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGJH_-S_MGs

Well fuck I guess I gotta watch this instead of like, anime

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    everyone should watch Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister, this is one of my few unwavering convictions.

Dammit I ain't got nowhere to watch it.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    If you have any DVD rental shops around check those

BahamutZERO.gif
    Dvd... rental... shoppe?

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Some places they still exist! Maybe more in rural and old people towns?

BahamutZERO.gif
    Stuff like that is why I maintain my prime membership. I hate bezos and there’s not a LOT exclusively on prime that I want to watch, but then you get your Patriot and your Yes Minister etc etc

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Aren’t there a lot of swears in it now

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I don't like coffee stouts, but I can really go to town on chocolate ones

My current local favourite, Dominion City, has several variations on stouts they rotate through, and the chocolate ones use nibs from a local chocolatier that has won world competitions for their bars and it is just

incredible

It's like a hint of beer added to drinking a chocolate bar and I am extremely into it

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    Stouts are pretty much “locked in” in terms of what you get with flavor- the variations come in ABV and amount of nitro, chocolate or coffee flavor

Lagers are also kind of “flavor locked”

Ales just offer way more variety for brewers to fuck around with

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Not really. Plenty of people are doing other things with vanilla, barrelling them, peanut butter, custard, milk to name a few in stouts.

Ales here, larger are getting variation using citrus’s and herbs.

Blake T on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Stouts are pretty much “locked in” in terms of what you get with flavor- the variations come in ABV and amount of nitro, chocolate or coffee flavor

Lagers are also kind of “flavor locked”

Ales just offer way more variety for brewers to fuck around with

This is wrong!

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Not really. Plenty of people are doing other things with vanilla, barrelling them, peanut butter, custard, milk to name a few in stouts.

Ales here, larger are getting variation using citrus’s and herbs.

The last fancy stout I got from that one brewery had chocolate, banana, and macadamia nut! It ruled!!

They also have some kind of tropical stout right now but it has more of an espresso flavour which means it ain't for me

Lots of room to play with stouts

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    the only thing I miss about not drinking is certain bitter/herbal flavor palates I just can't get outside of alcohols

like, I loved fucked up-edly strong IPAs, bourbon barrel stouts, and funky saisons

I also love the weird complexities of chartreuse or similar herbal liqueurs

there's plenty of stuff out there with weird fermented, spiced, pickled, or cured flavors to excite me, don't get me wrong - I adore a good aged cheese or smoked salmon - but there is that certain something that's missing eh

but, dammit, this whole not drinking thing has been pretty good for me and I still plan to keep it up a while, especially considering cheese and smoked salmon are way cheaper eh

Well then fuck Big IPA

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Dammit. Now it'll have to be next Halloween that I dress up as half a Ted Kaczynski and tell people I'm the Radical Left.

It's a good bit, but just to warn you:
    https://venturebrothers.fandom.com/wiki/Radical_Left

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I love ale, it is my favourite drink, and I still don't really know what an IPA is.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    As with so many aspects of the US, we export mostly our garbage beers to the world. I know so many non-US folks who have come here and been shocked by both the variety and quality of beers on offer in really any given city at this point.

I'd say this is actually true of most countries

I very much doubt Heineken has a great reputation among serious beer drinkers in the netherlands

guiness might in Ireland but the way people describe it makes it sound like they're getting a different, superior product

I was startled to realise how little good Australian wine is available overseas. Apparently dealing with wine and beer import/export and transportation is such a pain in the butt that only really large producers bother, and they are gonna prioritize the product that’s cheapest to produce and has the most “mainstream” (aka pointless) flavour profile.

I had a long talk with a shop owner in MA about why you can’t often find dry German Rieslings in the states, it was very illuminating.

So is it mostly due to mainstream expectations for German Rieslings, or are there other factors involved?

Dry Alsatian Rieslings aren't difficult to find around here at better wine shops, but German Rieslings all tend to be sweet to various degrees.

edited June 2020
    According to him there just isn’t an American market for the slate-y, grassy Rheingau style rieslings. That might not be true everywhere in the us, but I’ve certainly struggled to find many. The more acidic styles are around I guess? Still not super common compared to the sweeter varietals though.

tynic on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    According to him there just isn’t an American market for the slate-y, grassy Rheingau style rieslings. That might not be true everywhere in the us, but I’ve certainly struggled to find many. The more acidic styles are around I guess? Still not super common compared to the sweeter varietals though.

One of the gripes my grandfather and the other germans had. Was getting Bavarian style beers in the US as I never heard so much whining and complaining in Deutsch before. Even when in the mid 90's when you could get some German beers in the US it was mostly grumbles of it's not the good stuff or other comments

I love ale, it is my favourite drink, and I still don't really know what an IPA is.

It’s an ale that was bottled to continue fermenting during the 4-month bus ride from London to Calcutta, so it would be fresh at arrival. It takes more hops for this to work.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

It’s an ale that was bottled to continue fermenting during the 4-month bus ride from London to Calcutta, so it would be fresh at arrival. It takes more hops for this to work.

Love a cross-thread meme.

How do I become the Seal Man?

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    jugg my dude you already are

Then please explain to me the stark lack of adorable chubby seal buddies with which I can l nap with on the sand hmmm?

edited June 2020
    Or wait, was that in reference to me being a chunky, lazy dweeb what can't breathe good without sounding like a clogged bathtub drain?

Cause that's fair, yeah.

Juggernut on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Wait, I thought we were talking about how when it snows our eyes become large and the light that Jugg shines can be seen.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Real life picture of me

dm0jbyk25gqg.jpg

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    the arkansas state governor is talking and i am screaming!

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I thought it was referencing Juggernauts likelihood to be eaten by a shark.

euj90n71sojo.png
    I do flap around deliciously in the water, its true.