As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Games - We Should Talk, Before I Forget & Beyond a Steel Sky out today!

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    The Payday 2 update came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3D9laILWNM

Three new DLCs:
    • Breakfast in Tijuana Heist (can be completed Loud or in Stealth) - $7
    • Fugitive Weapon Pack (Holt 9mm, M60, R700 Sniper) - $3
    • Weapon Color Pack 2 - $3

Or buy them in a bundle for $10.

The update also added the ability to customize your gloves, and the DLC reward from the recent ARG turns out to be a special weapon color.

Oddly, this is still not Update 200. They decided this is still only Update 199.5. They must be planning something for the game's anniversary in August, or a new Crimefest in October I guess.

Lars on
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Is the game play fun in Payday 2? I'm always interested in coop games, but that trailer didn't look good. Is there any team heisting? or just run and gun?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Is the game play fun in Payday 2? I'm always interested in coop games, but that trailer didn't look good. Is there any team heisting? or just run and gun?

The shooting and game play are fun. The 3 random people with hundreds of hours in the game yelling at you for doing it wrong aren't.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Payday 2 is fun as heck. I still fondly remember playing with @Tube and @Simpsonia, especially when @Liiya found out that her big, fuck-off revolver was not, in fact, silenced.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Trajan45 wrote: »

The shooting and game play are fun. The 3 random people with hundreds of hours in the game yelling at you for doing it wrong aren't.

but you'll never learn unless i teach you!!!

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

“Townscaper is an experimental game. Or more of a toy really. I want to see how people interact with Townscaper to help me figure out what direction to take it and what features to add.”

20200630 Townscaper EA (procedural, city builder, pretty)

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    The gameplay is very fun and it's best played with a group, it was very enjoyable back in the day

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I don't understand the bounty/wanted system in RDR2. I robbed a secret business today. Had on a totally new outfit and a bandana, and still got identified. But then only got an $11 bounty for killing 4 people (or maybe 5? I'm not clear on if pistol whipping is lethal) and blowing a room up with dynamite

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Payday 2 is a lot of fun as long as you play with friends and everyone understands that things will go wrong

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    AC Odyssey, level 20-ish.
    A thought I had: Man, everybody talked about how horny their Kassandra was and I’ve been playing for hours and haven’t seen any quests to sleep with anybody yet.

15 minutes later: I have completed 2 quests and screwed a blacksmith and an old lady. Kassandra delivers.
    ”You killed his mater, and fucked his pater” had me laughing way more than it had any right to.

Perrsun on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    AC Odyssey, level 20-ish.
    A thought I had: Man, everybody talked about how horny their Kassandra was and I’ve been playing for hours and haven’t seen any quests to sleep with anybody yet.

15 minutes later: I have completed 2 quests and screwed a blacksmith and an old lady. Kassandra delivers.
    ”You killed his mater, and fucked his pater” had me laughing way more than it had any right to.

That quest was so fucking funny

I realized what was happening about halfway through it, and was helpless to prevent it. Which could have been frustrating, but it was funny enough that I loved it anyway

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that pretty much sounds like a pre-half life FPS yeah, they didn't really have coherent narratives or anything

Fucken what? Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM both had coherent narratives. Hell, depending on how strictly you define the word "coherent", Duke Nukem 3D had a coherent storyline.

I'm picking half-life as the touchstone even if it wasn't quite the first one like this because it's the most famous one from the late 90s era of FPS games. I'm just talking about the trend towards making the story happen in the game through both simply telling the story in the game itself, through briefings between levels and gameplay being about objectives more tied to the story than "kill everyone and find the exit portal", and through scripted events during gameplay. Rather than having the story be window dressing in the manual for what was otherwise a collection of contextless levels and maybe a boss fight and a page of text epilogue, like you saw in games like Wolfenstein 3D and Doom and Quake and Unreal.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Amazon's Crucible has been unreleased

Time to throw more money at the problem and hope it works?

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNV14LE8LAE&feature=emb_title

Skater XL leaves early access on July 28th, and they're adding 3 user-made parks to the base game that have been touched up by the devs.

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Man, Doom Eternal is pretty demanding, a lot of things to keep track of in combat. Ripping and tearing is still fun though! I don't know/remember anything about the factions and groups mentioned in the lore though. And what I don't get (I guess Doom2016 spoilers)
    aren't you locked away at the end of the first game? Why is Doomguy hanging out on a space station now?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Man, Doom Eternal is pretty demanding, a lot of things to keep track of in combat. Ripping and tearing is still fun though! I don't know/remember anything about the factions and groups mentioned in the lore though. And what I don't get (I guess Doom2016 spoilers)
    aren't you locked away at the end of the first game? Why is Doomguy hanging out on a space station now?
    The game never goes into detail about what happened in between 2016 and Eternal, but there are some codex entries with years that indicate the two games are set 10+ years apart.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I had a gift card from my birthday so I splurged on a very fancy keypad-less rgb keyboard. It seems very nice. They had different versions with different key types and I accidentally got the clicky ones but they are nice clicky, much quieter than my super old mechanical keyboard but still satisfying. It can be used wireless, which will be nice to use away from my desk, but the wired cord is very small and unnoticeable so I'll probably leave it plugged in when at my desk. This is the most expensive keyboard I've owned but fuck it. I'm using it a ton now that I'm at home all the time.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

That most people are like "Amazon's what now?" pretty much says it all

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

I mean, finfan 14

but they lack a yoshi p

PiptheFair wrote: »

I mean, finfan 14

but they lack a yoshi p

I feel like Yoshida is the sort of project lead that comes around once in a generation

Forget his design ideas or "vision" or whatever, that he was able to direct and lead that team and that project to absolute success is... monumental, in my mind

signature-deffo.jpg
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Was Crucible even bad? I was under the impression the main thing was that it just got no advertising push at all. Just doing a do-over on the launch but like, actually advertising it might work.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I downloaded crucible, and played it! It....I mean I shot things and their health bars went down, but that was about the only indication I was doing anything? It felt like bad mmo combat in something that wanted to be an action game. So I promptly quit playing it, and considered my investment (it was free, I let it download overnight one evening)....still kinda wasted.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I don't like to throw marketing and PR people under the bus because it's bad karma, but I feel like they were doing... almost nothing to promote this game. I didn't see articles about it, I didn't see streamers playing it, I didn't see trailers or booths about crucible. For a big release from a well funded studio I would have expected them to be doing much more.

It's possible they were wearing metaphorical handcuffs of some kind which is why I'm kind of couching my criticism, but I'm not hearing a lot of "Crucible was a dog" but more "what is Crucible" which indicates that the problem is on the marketing end of the spectrum. Even a mediocre game shouldn't have totally fucking bellyflopped on launch, and someone as plugged in to the industry as I am should have some fucking clue what the game is.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    There was better marketing for fucking Battleborn than there has been for Crucible

I'll add to my "it's bad karma" comment to express really firmly that a lot of the time the answer to "this marketing is ostensibly bad" is "you have no idea what I had to deal with on that project"

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I feel like they relied on Twitch too much for Crucible, they got a lot of big streamers in to play it for a few days, and...that's it. basically everyone stopped playing after the sponsored stuff, and that was the only advertising the game got. I never even saw a video ad for it, and Amazon owns Twitch!

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'll make a bold prediction that Crucible is probably better than Battleborn, even

Tube wrote: »
    I don't like to throw marketing and PR people under the bus because it's bad karma, but I feel like they were doing... almost nothing to promote this game. I didn't see articles about it, I didn't see streamers playing it, I didn't see trailers or booths about crucible. For a big release from a well funded studio I would have expected them to be doing much more.

It's possible they were wearing metaphorical handcuffs of some kind which is why I'm kind of couching my criticism, but I'm not hearing a lot of "Crucible was a dog" but more "what is Crucible" which indicates that the problem is on the marketing end of the spectrum. Even a mediocre game shouldn't have totally fucking bellyflopped on launch, and someone as plugged in to the industry as I am should have some fucking clue what the game is.

Yeah, I feel like I saw no previews of the game on major websites, no ads for it on Youtube, and they only payed streamers on Twitch, a platform which they own, to play it for a single day

And even setting aside all the traditional outlets... it's an Amazon Studios game! They have all the money and all the power and all the reach in the world! Plaster that shit all over the home page and especially in the games section and you'd at least have awareness

signature-deffo.jpg
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I'll make a bold prediction that Crucible is probably better than Battleborn, even

battleborn was a totally fine game that had the worst marketing and release date decisions possible

It's hard to say whether Anthem or Crucible has a worse chance of pulling a Final Fantasy XIV. Anthem has the advantage that it at least has a decent install base that might come back for another look. Then again, Crucible kind of has the advantage of obscurity. No one has fucking heard of it, so they can relaunch if they want to, it's not even a famous flop.

Fucking wild stuff though. Any other studio would just have to sit in their piss but money talks I guess.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    yeah I watched a bit of Battleborn and it wasn't for me, but it looked like a decently, basically fun video game at least, insufferable marketing and getting shown up by Overwatch aside

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    I'm still not quite sure I believe they're going to re-release Anthem

like, if battleborn got released 6 months earlier or later it does fine

also if randy pitchford doesn't open his stupid fucking mouth

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Do you think it's plausible that Jeff Bezos once idly suggested that Amazon should have its own Esports game in a three hour meeting about unrelated matters, and this trickled down the chain of people responsible with more and more urgency until some group was frantically working on a project with no clear direction because nobody above them had a clear idea of how little canceling the project would actually matter

I ate an engineer
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I'm still not quite sure I believe they're going to re-release Anthem

I'm still not quite sure if Anthem ever actually released. It'll always be a trailer I saw and thought "eh, probably deece but not my thing" in my head and nothing can erase that

I ate an engineer
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I enjoyed playing Anthem, the flying felt pretty good and my robot mage was a lot of fun to fight with, but once you beat the main game there just kinda wasn't anything to do.

I'd at least be interested in giving it another look if they actually re-release it.

Meanwhile I don't think I've managed to remember Crucible was a thing for longer than 10 mins after seeing anything about it. It just disappears from my brain.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Do you think it's plausible that Jeff Bezos once idly suggested that Amazon should have its own Esports game in a three hour meeting about unrelated matters, and this trickled down the chain of people responsible with more and more urgency until some group was frantically working on a project with no clear direction because nobody above them had a clear idea of how little canceling the project would actually matter

I find the initial premise and it getting repeated down the chain quite plausible. However at a certain point someone has to allocate a budget for a project to get started.

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Crucible is not the game I thought it was when I first read that. I thought it was the MMO thing they were doing. Which is New World, but first I looked up Old World, which is a Epic Games strategy title.

akajaybay on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I follow lots of gaming stuff. I did not know Crucible was a game till just now. I thought they were making something about the book I had to read in high school.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Wait, Amazon made an in-house esports game that nobody cares about? I thought Crucible was the in-house MMO that nobody cares about.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
This discussion has been closed.