As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]ter's Block

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Watching Korra

As much as I watched the entire run of Avatar, I still find myself wincing slightly whenever they use the term "bender" in isolation

Ooh yeah that means something like fag in uk slang right?

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Welp, cardiologist says I'm basically in perfect health. My heart is super healthy and strong, all my levels are good. I'm overweight but other than that, I'm essentially in tip top shape.

So the culprit is anxiety and I need to find ways to chill out. Weeeed

Ftfy

Alas, not a legal state. Not that this stops anyone in my apartment building.
    Tav wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Welp, cardiologist says I'm basically in perfect health. My heart is super healthy and strong, all my levels are good. I'm overweight but other than that, I'm essentially in tip top shape.

So the culprit is anxiety and I need to find ways to chill out. Wheeee

@SniperGuy what were your symptoms?

@Tav weird palpitations, but no heart rate increase. It got real bad for two days but has kinda cleared up after I got checked out last week. Today was my final checkup and meeting with the cardiologist.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Watching Korra

As much as I watched the entire run of Avatar, I still find myself wincing slightly whenever they use the term "bender" in isolation

Why?

I'm guessing because in certain places it's slang for getting really really drunk or otherwise impaired.

It's a homophobic slur in the UK, albeit one that was more prevalent ~20 years ago or so

now you know how we feel when ya'll are on about smoking some fags

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Watching Korra

Ooh yeah that means something like fag in uk slang right?

"Fag" is one of the craziest slang shifts between the two countries.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    What if you had the power to manipulate bundles of sticks and cigarettes.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

dick van dyke is a 90-something year old man who writes better and has better values than many people a quarter of his age

rRwz9.gif
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

dick van dyke is a 90-something year old man who writes better and has better values than many people a quarter of his age

He was also at a rally with Chuck D and Bernie Sanders earlier this year. He's good people.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    lol his name is dick

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    <actually this might get taken wrong so nah>

Incenjucar on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Dick Van Dyke also sued a local chain of appliance dealers, but it was dismissed when the local place had records showing they were using the name before DvD was born.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

He was also at a rally with Chuck D and Bernie Sanders earlier this year. He's good people.

I figured DVD had died years ago. Solid number of 90 year olds around nowadays.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    "Pants" is another weird dialect difference

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    shit. i do need to get in touch with a cardiologist down here. My old one recommended someone she trained, but then gave me refills that cover me till 2021...
    im probably good. been playing a lot of oculus games...

Deebaser on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I wanna make it clear, I'm very positive on Dick Van Dyke the man. The local chain seems fine, though they did have a digital sign up for the longest time that would flash bible quotes and religious imagery when they were closed on Sundays. I'll never forget the one that said " (B)asic (I)nstructions (B)efore (L)eaving (E)arth". Which is an insanely impressive wordplay and also makes me feel super creepy due to my complex beliefs on religion.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Drivers license photos are destined to be terrible in one way or another.
    The best you can hope for is entertainingly bad.

mine's pretty good, get dunked nerds

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    A
    Aaaaand now I'm caught up on Gunnerkrigg Court

That was… surprisingly short

It really seems like we're in the last act of this story, or at least ramping up to the last act

Man I am like two or three years behind although it is maybe my favorite comic; I fell out of the habit of reading it. Some day I will sit down and read a ton of chapters!

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Ugh medical students are always beautiful. One came in and introduced himself and he was so handsome that I couldn't speak. So embarrassing.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular

"Trousers" from the Gaelic "triubhas" apparently

As opposed to "pantaloons" from the French

Then I hissed and covered my face with my labcoat.

Ugh we’re being fucked so hard by a very unhelpful midwestern state gov IRB. (Never mind this is like an economics project and not a research project with a hypothesis or data collection).

“Once an IRB approval was construed as a data use agreement so now we don’t approve protocols unless you have a data use agreement”
    “We understand IRB approval isn’t agency approval; can you not look at our protocol and tell us if it’s ok providing the agencies sign off?”
    “No. Also we need more detailed methods.”
    “Um ok, but I gave you a ten page write up of our methods, so uhhh...what is missing?”
    “Anything that shows how harm might inadvertently come to human subjects because data becomes identifiable”
    “Ok, I wrote about how the agencies give us deidentified data and about our specific methods of analysis so...is there something else missing?”
    “Well you know data might become identifiable so we need to know your methods.”
    “...ok...”
    “Also we’re perplexed by your lack of hypothesis testing”
    “This isn’t a hypothesis-driven research project or even a research project; we’re counting the membership of the state workforce and the number of people who might require their services, which requires some guessing based on eg demographics and national rates of diseases, then projecting it into the future using standard econometric techniques.”
    “Well that involves modeling right?”
    “Yes and we wrote out the types of models we would use in the methods we submitted.”
    “...”
    “...”

>:[

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »

"Shazkar Shadowstorm" "Casual Eddy" :3

it's not for 'recreational' use it looks like, only in a therapeutic setting:
    would allow licensed facilitators to administer psilocybin to patients

Yeah and marijuana was once only legal for medicinal purposes. It's cool to see a trend towards rethinking drug prohibition when certain drugs were only outlawed because of who was using them, not what they did.

How are we going to throw hippies in jail now??

We're going to hunt then for sport

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

"Trousers" from the Gaelic "triubhas" apparently

As opposed to "pantaloons" from the French

I remember back in high school some dudes thought the word "pantaloon" was hilarious and started using it as an insult.

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    um cred
    i'm gonna need you to test these hypothesesseses

Bless your heart.
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Basically teenagers are the worst thing ever made

"Lift."

Ours infers using a car to get places, their is an elevator.

So our lift is on the x axis, and

This song always makes me smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2jRR2byLTc

TTODewback wrote: »
    um cred
    i'm gonna need you to test these hypothesesseses

This isn’t even research jfc
    It’s economics or just plain counting

Also some research is not hypothesis-driven, like the entire field I come from of structural biology where your question is ‘what does this protein look like?‘

you don’t guess beforehand and then try to dismiss or confirm that guess.

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    pantaloons is taken from the latin word for pants and moon which also means crazy and effectively means "crazy pants"
    that guy is pantaloons

always use it this way in a sentence
    when someone looks at you like your dumb scream
    NO I AM THE SMART ONE
    PANTALOOOOONS

Bless your heart.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular

"Lift."

Both those meanings are valid in the UK

edited June 2020

"Lift."

Both those meanings are valid in the UK

I said

OUR lift is on the x axis AND

jungleroomx on
    Wang however is universal

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    he's right, he said it

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    My hypothesis is that I can make this fucking compound

The question is how

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Also fcc keep in mind that Med students were once premeds so don’t fall for it

VishNub wrote: »
    Also fcc keep in mind that Med students were once premeds so don’t fall for it
    This guy had a French accent and the most beautiful hair and piercing stare....
    *dies*

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I was tired, and then I had a hamburger for lunch, and now I am asleep

but I still need to do work oh no : (

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    IRBs are Industrial Revenue Bonds. hth

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I was tired, and then I had a hamburger for lunch, and now I am asleep

but I still need to do work oh no : (

or...you could not.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I wonder if the blue man group are the original ones or they replaced some of them.

This discussion has been closed.