As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]ter's Block

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Man that Cruicble game sucked so hard they went backwards and put it back into closed beta.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    I was tired, and then I had a hamburger for lunch, and now I am asleep

but I still need to do work oh no : (

or...you could not.

while technically true, not doing the work I am supposed to do may have consequences

• A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    and now i'm rereading the entirety of gunnerkrigg court i'd say i'd hope y'all are happy but none of y'all had anything to do with this
    is 'a week for kat' a filler arc or does it have anything other than the slightest significance other than, like, explaining the aesthetics of the tic-tocs

the world may never know

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I think the word "lorry" is stupid, but I looked up the etymologies and all these vehicular words have really good precise technical meanings.

"Truck" for example, is a single axle assembly (see: skateboard truck), and broader usage is some slop brain linguistic slip from centuries ago.

Because I believe strongly in the preservation of technical language, because this does not jive with the way I currently speak, and because I will not be changing, I have decided to forget the past 5 minutes.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    I was tired, and then I had a hamburger for lunch, and now I am asleep

but I still need to do work oh no : (

or...you could not.

while technically true, not doing the work I am supposed to do may have consequences

No, I don't believe that's true. I believe it's a myth.

sig.gif
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Man that Cruicble game sucked so hard they went backwards and put it back into closed beta.

I played one round of it last week and the nicest thing I can say is that I can see more or less what they were aiming for.

I have no idea how the decision was made that they were anything like close enough to it to release, but the vision is apparent at least.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    Also fcc keep in mind that Med students were once premeds so don’t fall for it

Premeds are also often attractive though because they can be overachievers who also gym and do sports and shit

They get less hot in med school as they become more harried

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Determined smart good looking people

disgusting

Deebaser wrote: »
    IRBs are Industrial Revenue Bonds. hth

They’re boards to prevent harm to people and animals in research.

We aren’t collecting any data or doing research so...sort of unclear why we need IRB review. It’s all about saying look we are using deidentified data and we are only publishing aggregates anyway and it’s literally just like the number of people in the state with diseases and the number of doctors so....???? What do you want....

Ugh I hate it. I have done a lot of mandatory training on human subjects research in grad school when I was funded by NIH and it was never remotely relevant cause I never even worked with single called organisms, only proteins. Human subjects or animal cruelty just entirely out of scope.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    VishNub wrote: »
    Also fcc keep in mind that Med students were once premeds so don’t fall for it

Premeds are also often attractive though because they can be overachievers who also gym and do sports and shit

They get less hot in med school as they become more harried

Yes but then they ask you for points so they can go to med school and the spell is shattered

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I wonder if the blue man group are the original ones or they replaced some of them.

It's like mall Santas. The original 3 still do it, while all the ones you see in various cities and shows are different people trained by them.

nibXTE7.png
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    I keep on thinking I'm probably not into Total Warhammer, but then I boot it up and have an amazing time and resent my husband for pulling me away JUST ONE MORE TURN JUST ONE MORE TUUUURRRRN. Rare is the strategy game that can keep me coming back through a haze of confusion and defeat.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    My brother is not yet in his 40s but he looks about 50, due to having two children during medical residency. He for sure burnt a decade off his life.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020

Deebaser on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

I played one round of it last week and the nicest thing I can say is that I can see more or less what they were aiming for.

I have no idea how the decision was made that they were anything like close enough to it to release, but the vision is apparent at least.

God I love seeing Amazon fail.

It sustains me.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I am kind of in love with witnessing the morphogenesis of these plants

It is very gratifying to be like "oh shit that's how it starts looking like broccoli" or "I didn't know kale had little spines on it"

It's been a long time since I've been able to do anything approaching the use of my bio degree

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I kid of course.

The med students I've worked with have actually all been great.

I stand by comments about premeds.

God I love seeing Amazon fail.

It sustains me.

You're gonna shit pure joy when New World comes out.

Also for my new project someone asked me to do some really trivial data manipulation so I did it for her and said hey by the way, this doesn’t require python; you can do it yourself in excel. Then I explained how in detail (including explaining...find and replace....), including that I hadn’t known how to concatenate fields from two columns so I googled it, (then explained how and also showed the link) and excel is well-documented so she should start to get comfortable using the official support articles and the user community.

I hope it didn’t come off as rude—I tried to phrase everything like “I want you to feel empowered to do these data manipulations in excel” rather than ‘lmgtfy’. I wonder. I tried though!

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

So, I know this because I know someone who's job is basically on the line based on if it succeeds or not, but it was always intended to be a temporary soft launch, after which they'd go back and refine it. But instead it got announced as MEGA BIG LAUNCH and everything was screwed.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    It's late in the season but I think I'm going to plant garlic tonight.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay

So, I know this because I know someone who's job is basically on the line based on if it succeeds, but it was always intended to be a temporary soft launch, after which they'd go back and refine it. But instead it got announced as MEGA BIG LAUNCH and everything was screwed.

Goddamn. Jobs are the worst.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Re: yesterday's Shredded Cheese Wife moment:

r5GQe0Yl.png

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I dunno if furriners can see it, but any U.K. folks who have two and a bit hours to spare could do much worse than see the Gwendoline Christie starring Midsummer Night’s Dream the National Theatre has put on YouTube until Thursday night. Very, very good.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Also for my new project someone asked me to do some really trivial data manipulation so I did it for her and said hey by the way, this doesn’t require python; you can do it yourself in excel. Then I explained how in detail (including explaining...find and replace....), including that I hadn’t known how to concatenate fields from two columns so I googled it, (then explained how and also showed the link) and excel is well-documented so she should start to get comfortable using the official support articles and the user community.

I hope it didn’t come off as rude—I tried to phrase everything like “I want you to feel empowered to do these data manipulations in excel” rather than ‘lmgtfy’. I wonder. I tried though!

I think there's a category of person that doesn't have an intuitive grasp of the kind of tasks that spreadsheets can automate

So sometimes a conversation like this can get people over that hump

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Ok brownie M&M's fucking slap

All these sprouts start very similarly with their two cotyledons and then in-between them their first true leaf/leaves develop and it's like they suddenly each got a personality.

The first leaf is like a little name tag being all "actually I'm lettuce".

Bring back light brown M&Ms

Blue can suck it

nibXTE7.png
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Welp, cardiologist says I'm basically in perfect health. My heart is super healthy and strong, all my levels are good. I'm overweight but other than that, I'm essentially in tip top shape.

So the culprit is anxiety and I need to find ways to chill out. Wheeee

@SniperGuy what were your symptoms?

@Tav weird palpitations, but no heart rate increase. It got real bad for two days but has kinda cleared up after I got checked out last week. Today was my final checkup and meeting with the cardiologist.

I had that too! Got two cardiograms and some bloods done and nada, i'm in perfect health (apart from being a bit fat). Turns out its a n x i e t y

i don't really have any suggestions other than getting a smartwatch that shows your heartrate because knowing it was psychosomatic really helped me

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    The tan m&ms always looked water-logged

They need to combine the peanut butter and the brownie M&M's into what should be called "My inevitable death via diabetes M&M's."

They need to combine the peanut butter and the brownie M&M's into what should be called "My inevitable death via diabetes M&M's."

Buy a bag of each and DIY it

nibXTE7.png
    They changed the coating on M&Ms at some point. You use to be able to just kind of hold them in your mouth, and the coating would dissolve until there was only the thinnest layer around it holding in the now-liquid chocolate melted by your body heat, then you could mash it against the roof of your mouth with your tongue. Now they just kind of turn to goo.

nibXTE7.png
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    A few x-rays won’t hurt you. There’s only a little radiation. Not great, not terrible.

Check my IG account where I take a new X-Ray of myself every day!

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    my son asked my wife if he could get a pet monkey. She said "Ask your father". Sure thing buddy. According to google, we can go full Joe Exotic in North Carolina. I've wanted to own a monkey since F*R*I*E*N*D*S.

Sweety wants to play monkey chicken? Let's dance, bitch!

Deebaser on
    Deebaser wrote: »
    my son asked my wife if he could get a pet monkey. She said "Ask your father". Sure thing buddy. According to google, we can go full Joe Exotic in North Carolina. I've wanted to own a monkey since F*R*I*E*N*D*S.

Sweety wants to play monkey chicken? Let's dance, bitch!

I predict this is the last serious decision you will be be allowed to make in the household.

X-ray's the only way you can be sure nobody replaced your bones with fakes.

nibXTE7.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    spool32 wrote: »
    Re: yesterday's Shredded Cheese Wife moment:

ubt4nsoqk8a3.png

This discussion has been closed.