As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Foreign Policy] Peace For Sale

• Options
    brynhrtmnbrynhrtmn Registered User regular
    Trump will never just “tag in Pence”. It’s admitting defeat. He’ll have their backing till he’s no longer President. If they abandon him he’ll drag them all down with him. Claiming he would have won the election easy if it weren’t for the traitors.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    The thing with the republicans is that they're the political equivlant of cannibals; at the first hint of weakness they pounce on each other and right now all of them are likely doing calculus to figure out whether it's better to flip on trump now or after the election.

Because right now trump has:
    • Screwed up farmers by blind firing tariffs and been forced to bail them out at least twice.
    • Utterly failed to deal with the civil unrest following the events in mineapolis and instead exacerbated tensions.
    • Refused to acknowledge the seriousness of Covid-19 and as a result Texas and Florida (both critical to any victory) are now facing horrific consequences.
    • The highest unemployment since the great depression.
    • During his first public rally in months he drew about 30% of seating capacity.
    • Social media sites are beginning to push back against him.
    • He can't even articulate what his plan for the next term would be.
    • His ongoing bromance with racists.
    • And now him apparently being either ignorant or ok with the fact that russia has been paying the taliban.

Dude is weak, even after the herculean efforts to prop him up that the GOP has had to mount in his defense, so I could absolutely see some of the party elders informing trump that he has a choice: Tag in Pence or try and do this shit without the support of the party.

The problem is that he has a fifty state death cult and they make up enough of the steady GOP voters to cost the majority of them their seats if they even just sit out the election.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    And then every one of them will have a "tell all" book about how they were secretly against him all the time.

Except when voting to impeach, etc.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    And then every one of them will have a "tell all" book about how they were secretly against him all the time.

Except when voting to impeach, etc.

Or stopping anything about him. Like so many of his toadies and flunkies have already done. They do jack shit when they are on his admin, worse they work with this deranged simpelton to accomplish his fuckery and then when they are done they want to release a tell all "Oh man he's nuts".

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Even if there is a reality where the GOP turns on Trump, it won’t ever be during Primaries.

But even then, Trump controls the base too hard and we’ve seen how cowardly the GOP is in the face of any bully bigger than them. Don’t expect anything that requires a principled stand against anything that is not in their own direct self interest, and even then they’ll hem and haw as Trump burns down the world.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I wouldnt be surprised if most GOP Congress critters want Trump to lose.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Even if there is a reality where the GOP turns on Trump, it won’t ever be during Primaries.

But even then, Trump controls the base too hard and we’ve seen how cowardly the GOP is in the face of any bully bigger than them. Don’t expect anything that requires a principled stand against anything that is not in their own direct self interest, and even then they’ll hem and haw as Trump burns down the world.

Trump only controls the base as long as Fox and friends continue to prop him up. If they stop doing so then this starts to go south in a hurry.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Does Trump still control the GOP's purse?

Because if so, no GOP senator or congressman who is currently up for election will turn on him.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options

Why wouldn't they? His presidency has been a disaster since even when he's doing the things they ostensibly want he can't help but scream the quiet parts loud and WRT foreign policy has either failed to give them the things they've salivated over (war with iran) or fundamentally undermined the US's standing (Tariffs and NATO) while rolling over for folks who should be brought to heel (Russia, Turkey and North Korea).

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

Because if so, no GOP senator or congressman who is currently up for election will turn on him.

Yes. While typically a sitting President if the head of their party funds Trump actually strengthened that to be tighter than normal. So folks won't talk unless he (his staff) proactively fuck with their funding.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Yes. While typically a sitting President if the head of their party funds Trump actually strengthened that to be tighter than normal. So folks won't talk unless he (his staff) proactively fuck with their funding.

And his campaign support is poison for everyone but himself

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

It's one of the things that is going to have very strange knockdown effects in the future.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

It's one of the things that is going to have very strange knockdown effects in the future.

I feel like it should kill a party and spawn a successor one but the parties are so institutionally entrenched in the US I don't know if that can really happen.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Has anyone pointed out the hypocrisy of trump ringing in this year by assassinating an Iranian general who was linked to the death's of mercenaries while failing to even acknowledge a russian plot against the Armed forces?

Also, paying the Taliban is literally funding terrorists

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Why wouldn't they? His presidency has been a disaster since even when he's doing the things they ostensibly want he can't help but scream the quiet parts loud and WRT foreign policy has either failed to give them the things they've salivated over (war with iran) or fundamentally undermined the US's standing (Tariffs and NATO) while rolling over for folks who should be brought to heel (Russia, Turkey and North Korea).

He's a huge liability, but one that they can't cut loose easily. The polling on party preferences is like, historically bad. Generic "democrat" is (checks fivethirtyeight) holy shit up by 9% right now (surely that will decrease, but still). As long as he is in charge, they have a galvanized, rather than lazy or complacent, enemy, and while we* are an increasingly calcified society, Trump is increasing calcification among their enemies and driving the extremely limited number of moderates away. The longer he's in charged, the more fucked they may be long term, ignoring possibilities not set down by rules.

But of course, they can't get rid of him because anything that they can't blame on someone else is going to cause their base to eat them alive.

*you? Pronoun unclear

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular

I feel like it should kill a party and spawn a successor one but the parties are so institutionally entrenched in the US I don't know if that can really happen.

It's been some time, but it has happened. That's what the GOP went through when it took on the Southern Strategy, same name with a completely different script to back it up.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    This week has been a busy news day from information about phones call with heads of states and this Russian bounty story which you know Trump is lying when he already said 5 different stories from "I wasn't aware" through "it didn't happen" to finally "it's a hoax".

The GOP letting him crash and burn to then face a weak and tired Biden in four years is an optimum scenario. Four years of taking the blame for not fixing Trumps mess fast enough.

I can't even see diplomatic relationships getting mended in that timeframe and then there are all the treaties the US pulled out of. Many took a very long time to negotiate and other countries will not reopen new talks just to accommodate the US which might just drop out again at the next GOP president.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »
    This week has been a busy news day from information about phones call with heads of states and this Russian bounty story which you know Trump is lying when he already said 5 different stories from "I wasn't aware" through "it didn't happen" to finally "it's a hoax".

The GOP letting him crash and burn to then face a weak and tired Biden in four years is an optimum scenario. Four years of taking the blame for not fixing Trumps mess fast enough.

I can't even see diplomatic relationships getting mended in that timeframe and then there are all the treaties the US pulled out of. Many took a very long time to negotiate and other countries will not reopen new talks just to accommodate the US which might just drop out again at the next GOP president.

That and the rest of the world recovering from covid while we spiral down is going to help make the case that something new needs to be built without the U.S. at the center.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Biden already said he's wouldn't run for a second term which would make 2022 / 2024 a potential rebirth play for both parties.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Biden already said he's wouldn't run for a second term which would make 2022 / 2024 a potential rebirth play for both parties.

I'm not banking on either party "rebirthing" for at least another 8 years; the democrats are led by cold war era relics and the republicans answer to everything is "Go further to the right".

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

I'm not banking on either party "rebirthing" for at least another 8 years; the democrats are led by cold war era relics and the republicans answer to everything is "Go further to the right".

The Democrats are run by people who spent their formative years getting their teeth kicked in by Nixon after LBJ got the CRA and VRA through and the great white backlash began.

Clinton winning was when they fully surrendered.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The Democratic Party has been sprinting left for the last 10 years, but lots of people haven't noticed because they haven't had much power. But in states where they gain trifectas after not having had them in a while (VIRGINIA) things are happening.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The Democratic Party has been sprinting left for the last 10 years, but lots of people haven't noticed because they haven't had much power. But in states where they gain trifectas after not having had them in a while (VIRGINIA) things are happening.
    Maybe among the voter base but the elected officials and party financial partners sure as hell haven't. AOC won a landslide victory but in the week leading up to that election a ton of money started getting dumped into her district in an effort to get her out anyway.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

That and the rest of the world recovering from covid while we spiral down is going to help make the case that something new needs to be built without the U.S. at the center.

I think the world is gonna be so different in the next ten years.

Thanks to Trump, the US has resigned so much economic and diplomatic power that other countries are already filling the void. I think China is going to fill a lot of that economically, especially in the Pacific region and world economy, while Russia and Saudi Arabia gain more of a foothold in the Balkans, the ME, and Africa. The EU is going to have to increase spending to counter Russian aggression and all the refugees that will inevitably increase, which increases right wing political parties in those nations.

Combined with the ever more exacerbated consequences of global warming, which makes diseases like COVID, regional conflicts over resources, sectarian violence, mass migration, terrorism, and exploitation of vulnerable people more likely, we’re about to enter some really interesting times.

Even if Biden wins and brings us a golden age, I highly doubt the US will ever completely recover the diplomatic and economic damage. The US will probably always be a military and economic power house, but it will be much more diminished. Other countries will not turn to the US because of how polarized our political parties are, and will turn to more regional allies.

When future historians are writing the history books, I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if the election of Donald Trump is seen as a pivotal moment in the decline of the American empire.

The only way I can see this not happening is if the GOP stops being a major political party. It is staggering to me how much power the GOP has over the world. Can you imagine being some poor worker literally anywhere else in the world, and today you or your family dies just because a couple hundred people in a random county in Wyoming were able to shift our asinine electoral college just enough to elect a racist, vacuous sociopath to the head of the greatest military power the world has yet to see? And you died because someone hurt his fee-fees with a mean Tweet?

It’s insane.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    It's Trump combined with a real crisis. A time when the world could actually have used some leadership on an important global issue that for once wasn't bombing somewhere and not only did the US flub it they are actively among the worst.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    The Democratic Party leadership is bound to change very soon as the establishment at the top are so old that they are butting up against human life expectancy.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    It's Trump combined with a real crisis. A time when the world could actually have used some leadership on an important global issue that for once wasn't bombing somewhere and not only did the US flub it they are actively among the worst.

To add to this, a lot of our foreign prestige is based on the idea there was a firewall between our insane politics and the respected and competent experts in our civil service. The GOP has been hammering at that wall since Reagan, and this crisis exposed the results - deep dysfunction and complicity with Trump even in gold standard agencies like the CDC.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Press secretary claimed that Trump is the most informed man on the planet despite him not knowing about these bounties in 2019 when he was first informed of them or February when he was briefed again, or hell this weekend when it was brought up again.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    He may well be the most informed man on the planet, in the same sense that a sieve has infinite water capacity.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Thanks to Trump, the US has resigned so much economic and diplomatic power that other countries are already filling the void. I think China is going to fill a lot of that economically, especially in the Pacific region and world economy, while Russia and Saudi Arabia gain more of a foothold in the Balkans, the ME, and Africa. The EU is going to have to increase spending to counter Russian aggression and all the refugees that will inevitably increase, which increases right wing political parties in those nations.

Combined with the ever more exacerbated consequences of global warming, which makes diseases like COVID, regional conflicts over resources, sectarian violence, mass migration, terrorism, and exploitation of vulnerable people more likely, we’re about to enter some really interesting times.

Even if Biden wins and brings us a golden age, I highly doubt the US will ever completely recover the diplomatic and economic damage. The US will probably always be a military and economic power house, but it will be much more diminished. Other countries will not turn to the US because of how polarized our political parties are, and will turn to more regional allies.

When future historians are writing the history books, I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if the election of Donald Trump is seen as a pivotal moment in the decline of the American empire.

The only way I can see this not happening is if the GOP stops being a major political party. It is staggering to me how much power the GOP has over the world. Can you imagine being some poor worker literally anywhere else in the world, and today you or your family dies just because a couple hundred people in a random county in Wyoming were able to shift our asinine electoral college just enough to elect a racist, vacuous sociopath to the head of the greatest military power the world has yet to see? And you died because someone hurt his fee-fees with a mean Tweet?

It’s insane.

It helps if you substitute GOP for white landowners- it’s not so insane to see why they have so much power now since they’re just inheriting that legacy from pretty much all of western history

Also I think it’s Germany who has the best shot of filling the void of world leadership

Canada maybe 2nd

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    He may well be the most informed man on the planet, in the same sense that a sieve has infinite water capacity.

"Informed" as a verb, not as an adjective.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Germany has a good leader right now, but that doesn’t prevent them from electing some nationalist asshole when Merkel eventually retires or loses power. Germany isn’t immune to nationalism, despite its history.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

It’s insane.

It helps if you substitute GOP for white landowners- it’s not so insane to see why they have so much power now since they’re just inheriting that legacy from pretty much all of western history

Also I think it’s Germany who has the best shot of filling the void of world leadership

Canada maybe 2nd

Canada probably isn’t big enough to be a world leader unfortunately.

If the EU could centralize some they could fill the void. It would be hard but not unprecedented. And Germany would certainly be the major player in a EU that doesn’t involve the UK.

It would be ironic, though.

“We tried to establish hegemony over the world in two devastating wars, and failed. Only then did we discover that the secret to world domination is just to be patient and quietly competent and your rivals will eventually fall apart in their own hubris and destroy themselves of their own accord”.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I think it’s less size now and more “how willing to shoot its genitals off” is a country

And yes I find great humor in Germany’s position in the world now considering 1. The 20th century and 2. There really wasn’t much of a Germany before the 20th century

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Preacher wrote: »
    Press secretary claimed that Trump is the most informed man on the planet despite him not knowing about these bounties in 2019 when he was first informed of them or February when he was briefed again, or hell this weekend when it was brought up again.

They're in a bit of a hard spot with this. Because the hard underlying truth going on here is that Trump doesn't fucking do anything. His workday consists of watching TV, angrily tweeting, watching more TV, and maybe showing up to the office by noon, fucking off by 2 pm, and golfing the next two days after. I read a story today that when he retweeted that "white power" video, his aides in the White House were frantically trying to get a hold of him to take the tweet down and couldn't, for several hours! Nor could they get a hold of his deputy chief of staff. Why? Because Trump was golfing in Virginia and put his phone down. What if an actual national emergency had happened? You can always tell when he's forced to do actual work, like address the nation, because he shows up with a permanent pout and half assed-ly reads off a teleprompter before storming out of the room when he's done. I imagine we've all forgotten that during the latest Iran mini crisis last year they had to reschedule a national address to the next day because the guy couldn't even be propped up enough to fake his way through an address the night it happened.

But of course they can't just come out and say well...Trump is too lazy to read daily briefs, sleeps through oral ones, refuses to prepare or understand any of the highly nuanced and complicated foreign policy topics he's supposed to render decisions on, shirks all of his responsibilities, and as a result, daily puts Americans at increased risk because of it. And either he missed or didn't care about the bounty intelligence. (Which why would he? He's repeatedly shown that he doesn't care about anyone in uniform.) Sorry not sorry.

My god do I wish the narrative of how fucking lazy and do nothing he is would take off in the media. I mean shit, most people took Sarah Palin to task for being an inexperienced, lazy airhead who refused to prepare for even something as simple as the Couric interview; I don't get why Trump gets the free pass.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Yeah they’re in a spot with this. The question is, why hasn’t the administration done something about this? And the answer either is trump didn’t know or care about it, or he did and he didn’t do anything about it because he likes Russia personally and considers any criticism or action against them a reflection on him and his election win

There’s no good options for them to take. They’ll try all the options on though of course, sometimes contradicting ones at the same time!

Meanwhile every day that goes by with nothing being done is another day trump and the admin indisputably knew about it and still did nothing.

I mean it would be great to know what kind of financial ties he has to Russia if the Supreme Court could maybe bother to do that considering the president of the United States might be treasonous. No rush tho guy

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    he didn’t do anything about it because he likes Russia personally and considers any criticism or action against them a reflection on him and his election win

He's also famously chickenshit with anyone he can't bully and/or isn't a woman.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    I read a story today that when he retweeted that "white power" video, his aides in the White House were frantically trying to get a hold of him to take the tweet down and couldn't, for several hours! Nor could they get a hold of his deputy chief of staff. Why? Because Trump was golfing in Virginia and put his phone down.

The alternate version of this that I've heard is that they did get a hold of him, but it took several hours to convince him to take the video down.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I guess they're going with incompetence as a defence. I see republicans use this one a lot, and sadly it usually works because there's nothing illegal about being really bad at your job. If there were, millions of people would be out of work. So its better to admit "The president is such a fuckup that he didn't and doesn't read his super important briefings" than "He read them and thought it was fine".

This discussion has been closed.