As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

D&D 5E: On Wings of Midnight

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    [OOC: Just had a lore/world question pop up: would we be able to tell Gear is glaring? Do primodem have facial expressions, or is their face like a mask that's set and doesn't move?]

JtgVX0H.png
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    “So I see. Well done, and thank you, for everything you’ve done today.”, her accent is different now, and she sounds much less frail, “It’s good to see you, my loyal animal companion.”

Rogo-Rogo waves their claws happily.

She nods to Gear, “I am many things, but one thing I am is a diviner. I sense danger. I saw that ornament in a dream, and felt the pain behind the one staring at it. I knew something that had lay dormant was waking, and needed taking care of. The freak wind last night was useful to me, as it brought aid to my door. Fate is powerful, know this.”

She rows closer, and Rogo-Rogo pulls her boat gently in.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you the truth. You must understand: If I say there is a monster, you have an enemy. For most people, that means nothing more than killing without thought; for the greater good killing is permissible. Mahon, bless his soul, would make a good warrior in the old days, but now we need more than killing. Only when we have no enemy can we truly bring about justice. Now is the time for people like you.”

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    [OOC: Just had a lore/world question pop up: would we be able to tell Gear is glaring? Do primodem have facial expressions, or is their face like a mask that's set and doesn't move?]

(Going by how Primodem have been described, i imagine them as being simialr to angels from KSBD, so can totally make facial expressions. That or gear EMOTES HEAVILY with her arms and body. Which reminds me, ya'll should watch Thunderbolt Fantasty)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    edited June 2020
    "The one that was trapped is at peace now, Auntie. And when they passed, they left this behind!" and Baber shows her the mana

[OOC: oh right, we didn't have time for you to hand back the mana lol. Ignore that part of my post]

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Gear slowly unprickles and looks tiredly at her. "That's fair, but i think you could have told us more of what we were heading into. We were lucky." (OOC, yeah we never even came close to wiping, but you know, we're heros, heros are lucky. Gear does not know this!)

"..So what do we do with this then?" she says, showing the so-called Joy. "Also, Baber earned this from freeing the Urdetch". She holds out the mana "When we're rested, i'd like to use it to improve Baber's trident in tribute to their bravery."

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Hado furrows his brow. Regardless of Fatta's intentions, he doesn't enjoy being manipulated - even if it was supposedly for a good reason.

"Auntie, what else did you see in that dream? We found terrible things in that cave, and I am at a loss to explain them."

edited June 2020
    She takes out a pipe and lights it.

Fatta answers Gear first:
    “Hm... Nowadays the dragonfly is the symbol of the Ashen Creed, but who knows its story? It would fetch a fair price at the auction house in Petalway if you fixed it.”

Next she regards Baber:
    “Oh!”, she gasps in awe, “Mana! I haven’t seen the like in decades! The stars are watching you three! If you wish to unlock such a gift you must head to Dogabag! Seek the forge master Juyo, the tallest man I’ve ever met. He is a priest and a smith. He does not work for coin mind you, nor if he thinks his intended customer is weak... a tough one, that Ishtari.”

Finally she speaks to Hado:
    “I only see a little, a peek into fate. The dream offered me no more.”

She blows out a smoke ring.

“Sweet one, the Vilelord sought perfection in horror. It was as if a new terror was created each night as they searched the depths of abomination. I could tell you much, but you do not need to know...”

She seems to dwell on it.

“Not today.”

You should get on the boat, Rogo-Rogo won’t be leaving his cave, he’s retired.

Endless_Serpents on
    edited June 2020
    (You're CRUSHING OUR DREAMS here Endless. CRUSHING OUR DREAMS)

Gear gingerly hops off Rogo Rogo and into the boat, and when she thinks fatta's not looking, shoots a glare at her. She's no fan of being manipulated either.

(OOC, would Gear know Juyo, or of Juyo?)

The Zombie Penguin on
    Hado stands up a little straighter when Fatta remarks about Juyo’s height.

Baber climbs over into Auntie Fatta's boat and turns back to the giant crab. "Thank you for rescuing us, Rogo-Rogo. I don't know what would have happened without you." Saying that, they give him a pat as goodbye.

"Auntie, thank you for the recommendation for a smith to properly use the mana. Now, please allow me to row us all back to shore so we can get some rest. We've had quite the busy day!"

JtgVX0H.png
    edited June 2020
    “You are too kind!”, says Auntie with a happy clack of her mandibles.

For slaying the jellies you have each earned 40 experience!

For completing Rogo-Rogo’s cave you each earn 30 experience!

For being very cool you each earn 20 experience!

[OOC:
    Everyone in Dogabag knows of Juyo, the one armed smith, the priest of Mortozan (the volcano star sign), the tallest man in the city. He was once part of The Blood on the Mountain, the Ishtari race empowering movement, and the only member to leave and still hold power among its ranks. As a person, like, to talk to, you don’t know him at all. In the district of close families Juyo is a loner. Juyo is not like Auntie Fatta.

Busy one today! We’ll finish this up when I post next.]

Endless_Serpents on
    (wooooo ding!)

[OOC]

LEVEL UP!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aw-CaOiuMco

Use your maximum hit dice score to determine your new HP. All this means is I can afford to hit you very hard later!

@Calica
    If you would like to join in, make a 2nd level character using a race from New Zellatia.

I’ll post again when I can!

Gear sighs, and curls up in the boat to sleep (Presume we'll have more of a debrief. Going to go up mah character sheet with level 2 goodies)

edited June 2020
    The row back is a tough one as the tide comes in, but after a time you round the cove and moor up outside Auntie Fatta’s villa. Work has ended for now, at the request of Auntie Fatta, and so far the walls are mended, the living spaces cleaned, and a temporary roof of cloth sheets has been added.

Mahon is packing away the last of his tools.

“You have returned Auntie! I still say, why could I not row for you?”, says Mahon.

“Oh, I like little alone time in my boat.”, replies Auntie Fatta casually, then before he can ask, “They found my joy! They heroes!”

Breeze nods to you all from the doorway, then heads inside to make tea by a window in the kitchen.

“Cousin! Looking roughed up!”, Mahon lets out a big belly laugh, “Did you slip on a rock? Still, thanks for getting back that trinket, you’re a good one! Hey, what’s it look like?”

Breeze’s attention perks up when Mahon asks that, but he continues to make tea.

Feel free to ask Fatta, Mahon or Breeze anything you like, however, this adventure is now finished!

You rest here, and so are at maximum HP and lose all exhaustion. You will spend the night here, and your next adventure begins the following morning.

Endless_Serpents on
    Baber makes some small talk with Mahon about how the repairs went and if there was anything else noteworthy going on today, but they're tired and they don't talk for long before they doff their armor and go get some rest.

JtgVX0H.png
    edited June 2020
    ((Hado has a big decision to make! Druids choose their Circle at level 2, and there are so many good options. Hmmmmmmm.))

Tynnan on
    edited June 2020
    The sun rises like a burning arrow straight from the horizon. You awake with it as golden light dances across your thin bedsheets, refracted from the coast like dazzling spirits. The sea is playful, with long slow waves fit for surfing, and indeed three locals are already trying to ride each passing wave the best they’re able.

Auntie Fatta snores in a little hammock, while Breeze is already up, reading a book of medicine. The book is a tremendous rarity, worth more than silver, itself a precious metal so rare none of you have seen such a thing. It is written in the beautiful calligraphy of Kaburin. The edges of the books are tinged with scorch marks, but it was thankful saved the fate of a book burning long ago.

Today is something of an unofficial holiday, a day to prepare for what some call the greatest night of the year!

It is the 29th day of Tenth Month, in one days time it will be the Festival of Masks. The last days of a long dry season are nearly over. The weather is fair, almost as if the storm never happened.

You realise with yesterday’s harrowing experience not one have you has bought or made a mask, nor bought a robe to wear to the party! Oh... You need to find a party to go to as well!

Festival of Masks
    30th of Tenth Month. Annual.

Masks are primarily associated with the Ishtari, but this festival has origins dating back hundreds of years before their existence, if not more.

It is thought by some that spirits draw great strength on this day (the reason is a point of contention), and that they enter the city freely and in greater numbers than any other time of the year.

During the day children dress up as monsters, heroes, and even spirits themselves to frighten and confuse them, so that their power cannot be used against mortal life. As evening approaches the children rove from door to door ‘in search of spirits’ and are thanked for their work with treats and tiny trinkets.

After the sun has set and the children safely home the true Festival of Masks begins. Several dance halls are opened to the citizens, who must be wearing a mask and body concealing robes or dress to enter. Here the people spend an enticing night as living spirits, dancing with mysterious strangers free from the burden of their responsibilities.

Legends say a real spirit or two joins in; that anyone might well be one in disguise…

Elsewhere the Blood on the Mountain conduct their own masked rituals to contact spirits for guidance and strength.

Take this time to take care of anything you feel is outstanding from the last adventure, like questions to the locals. You could even grab a surfboard for a bit!

I’ll post as and when I can.

Endless_Serpents on
    edited June 2020
    New Zellatia inspiration:

7u1ann86jc27.jpeg
    A Primodem with a plan!

jurmb8uvzzkp.jpeg
    A mysterious ruin!

21wctqaoas5p.jpeg
    A Tunglani of the Ashen Creed!

0rjj8wb3xcho.jpeg
    A moody Floretta!

kopcpanktcdo.jpeg
    A tusked Tunglani bayfolk!

Endless_Serpents on
    Gear's an early riser, legacy of her dogabog family. Which, come to think of it, would be the perfect people to ask for help with a: Mask, and B: PARTY. Inviting Baber and Hado also seems like a good plan, after all they've been through.

First though, she's got something else to take care of while everyone sleeps. It doesnt take too long to find a local fish monger, and she's able to barter for a pretty good sized fish (OOC: deduct whatever you feel like from my coin here, endless?). It's not that much longer either to head to the entrance of the cave where yesterday's adventure takes place. She places the fish down reverently at the entrance, bows to it while mumrmuring a prayer for Rogo's good health, and heads back to see if the others have woken yet. She also ponders if she wants to confront Breeze on his discomfort over her display of power... Probably should make sure he doesnt notice that she's upgraded her quaterstaff over night.

(Rogo Rogo deserves the thanks!. Also, her Quaterstaff is now sporting some fancy engravings and weird gear-work thanks to her tinkers kit, and she's attuned to it - it's an Enhanced Arcane Focus, as per the artificer infusion. She's got a +1 to spell attack rolls as long as she's holding this, and she can cast through it, rather than needing to hold a kit. Just need to get her a shield, now! @Endless_Serpents - is it allowable for me to switch which of my infusions are active on a short rest? Or is that too strong? Mainly so i can be a bit more responsive to situations, rather than trying to guess what we need for the day, which is... honestly going to see me sticking with enhanced arcane focus and enhanced armor because those are the most applicable <.<;; Also i can be nicer about handing stuff out to party members as needed. totally cool if you think that's TOO stronk though!

...also that last pick is CLEARLY a terror incognita orc =P)

Also, what does Gear know about the Ashen Creed?

edited June 2020
    Long after Gear has left the cove, Rogo-Rogo eats the fish greedily. He dances awhile on the sands, clacking his claws to make his own simplistic ceremony to the gods in their starry abodes hidden in the daylight.

You don’t know anything about the Ashen Creed. Like everything in New Zellatia, the group can only be 30 years old, if not significantly less. No group in the city is massive with unchecked power, but who knows what influence it exerts in the right places?

Factions Gear knows of:

Myth Weavers
    Stories define us. It is the very thing that separates and elevates people from mere beasts. Be it fiction or embellished history turned into legend, lessons can be learned and hope provided by a good story. Would the rebellion have started if not ignited by rumour and tall tales of heroism?

The Ripple of the Lotus
    New Zellatia is enough. Forget gods, forget destiny; there is enough truth in the ripple of water to lead a meaningful life. Rather than seeking enlightenment from without, the Dispellers look to mundane tasks, like fishing or the gathering of fruit, and ultimately to within themselves for a greater understanding of life.

Relighters
    The world in its entirety is our home and it is our birthright to rediscover it, say the Relighters. Only when the scars of the past are healed across the land can it truly be said to be saved. To them the best and most morally right way to do this is by connecting the disparite tribes to New Zellatia in trade and shared knowledge, and it is hoped, by bringing them into the fold of the city proper as equals if they desire it.

The Society of the Arch
    The Dusty Folk would laugh if you asked their philosophy, seeing themselves as logical, pragmatic realists in a city of dreamers. They are builders and thinkers, and together they study and apply the burgeoning field of mathematics to the greater structural work of New Zellatia. However, owing to their connections across the city when they don’t like something work simply grinds to a halt. Even though the majority of builders aren't involved in the Society of the Arch their ear can easily be bent by them.

[OOC: I’ll allow the switching at a short rest for now, we’ll see how it goes. I’m not used to artificers, but ultimately I only need you to be balanced against threat I make up.]

Endless_Serpents on
    Breakfast is served by one of Auntie Fatta’s neighbours, Plodo, another of Baber’s cousins. It’s a fair trade returned for a cure to a passing ailment. He nods to you Baber, and gives you a sly extra portion.

Auntie Fatta is up, and nurses a tea. She looks like she had a bad dream. Before anyone can ask, she says, “Don’t you worry, I’ll be fine in a bit. I always have them. No meaning to this one though.”

She’s very firm about the last part.

Breeze has gone for a walk into the shallows on the beach. His book of medicine is left open.

As an aside, consider really looking at the items you’ve acquired so far.

What do you do?

Hado had awoken early and gone for a walk to clear his head. He had slept poorly last night, and went for a pre-dawn walk along the beach to sort out his thoughts. What was it they had found in that cave? And what had happened when he was dragged underwater and had that vision?

Finding some relaxation along the beach, but no answers, Hado returns to Fatta's house as breakfast is being served. He shows Fatta the shield he found, "Auntie Fatta, I found this shield on a dead Tunglani yesterday. It must have been beautiful before. Do you know who might be able to tell me more about it?"

edited June 2020
    Rebel’s Defiance
    Magic item, uncommon
    Attacks seem drawn to this ornate shield.

You gain +1 AC while holding this shield. When an ally is within 5 feet of you and are hit with a melee or ranged attack, you can use your reaction to take the attack instead.

She squints at the shield, then gestures with her hands before realising she needs to speak in New Tongue, “Stars! That design looks so close to the Red Palm’s mark. You know, that guard company in Petalway? Of course you do.”, patting it, she adds, “I wonder what the warrior thinks of them from where dead folk go...”

The Red Palm are essentially mercenaries. They specialise in guarding the wealthy and act as private patrolmen on the borders of districts, or when things don’t go in the favour of those that can afford them. They are run by certain veterans that claim to have been part of the Champion’s inner circle, and the rest think of themselves as a continuing company of rebel soldiers. In an otherwise serene district they’re considered the thorny weeds of Petalway by the monks, philosophers and astrologers.

Next Auntie seems to answer a question you haven’t asked.

“I have visions, but I’m no one special. You, I’m not so sure. I wish I knew more about the Ishtari. I’ve set enough of your bones,” she taps your head, “but you have secrets as deep as mountains. Your best bet is finding a master on the subject—but be warned... I do not mean to be rude... but some of your kind are...”

She gestures in Kaburin but doesn’t really say. Fiery? Was that what the motion meant?

Regardless, the previously mentioned Juyo might know a thing or two.

Endless_Serpents on
    They woke up late, allowing themselves the luxury since they had exerted themselves quite a lot the day before. When breakfast comes, Baber thanks their cousin and winks at them for the extra portion (they're a growing young calipdis, they need their food!) and hungrily chows down. After breakfast and cleaning everyone's dishes, Baber wanders in and around Auntie's house some. They read a little of Breeze's book of medicine, mostly just the pages it's open to and maybe what's directly after, then they go sit outside, apparently idling and being lazy just throwing the dancing dagger at a pole and catching it as it returns.

They're actually thinking everything that had happened yesterday and wondering what it all meant. They're also wondering what to do about the festival, since they hadn't made any plans for it yet. Probably gonna have to get a mask first.

They call over to Hado and Gear, "Hey, I was thinkin'. Do y'all want to go to the festival together tonight? I don't have any current plans but was thinking of figuring somethin' out!"

JtgVX0H.png
    Gear nods. "My family is always involved in it in dogabog. I was thinking of inviting you to anyway"

She chuckles slightly and gives Fatta a wry look. "It would be hard to claim we're not friends after yesterday"

She turns to Fatta and indicates the cloak she's wearing - "could you tell me anything about this, Auntie?"

She pauses "if you do need more help with a vision... Let us know. Just be straight with us next time"

Excerpt from the medical book:

Chapter 18 of Subsection 1 (Kaburin).

...curative for the intense pain of the heart:
    1. Kista root.
    2. Papop petals.
    3. Cinnatt extract.
    4. Leaves of mint.
    5. Goar (ground).

This is to be ingested once per day, alongside remedial stretches (Chinkoi or Insea recommended). To further relieve the pain...

It goes on for many pages more. Each possible ailment is given great detail. You cannot imagine a single healer having treated and written notes on all these things. Looks like it only covers Kaburin and Dwarves though.

Fatta puts her forelimbs together in mock prayer, “The stars above deemed it so, young Gear. I suspect you will be friends for life.”

“Huh!”, she scratches her chin, “Not enough to be of use. I’m not sure of the material but I can just make out the markings of stars. Drasius, it must be! Very interesting. During the rebellion...”, she says rebellion slowly, and you can see her picking her words carefully, “warriors came from all around. So many, and so few survived. We may never know from whence they came, this cloaked soldier. May they rest well.”

There’s more than one religion in New Zellatia, but most often people believe the gods, of which there are thousands, live within thirteen star signs, the Divine Zodiac. The gods who make their home in a given sign share common ground, but aren’t absolute allies, and run the gambit of personalities just as people do.

Drasius, the Jewel
    Interpretations…
    - Drasius is the sunken treasure trove.
    - Drasius is the bejewelled chalice held aloft.
    - Drasius is the slumbering dragon.
    - Drasius is the promise to be kept.
    - Drasius is the ringing of bells.

Drasius is considered to be an ‘earth sign’ by Kaburin astrologists, and others who share their particular beliefs.

Drasius is a matter of contention with the Ishtari, but the majority favour Drasius as a ‘feminine sign’, or more rarely ‘mutual sign’—being that the gods who hold court in this sign are an even mix of male and female.

Drasius is a uniquely titled sign, as it sounds so different to the languages spoken around New Zellatia. Perhaps one of the many long dead races named it so, if not the mythical dragons it is occasionally thought to represent.

Auntie Fatta makes the Kaburin sign for ‘yes’, then offers to make you tea.

You’ve got time to relax, as much as you need honestly, but here are some considerations:

Gear, you could make an Investigation check on your tinker’s tools.

Baber, you could seek a small favour from a family member. They live all around this area. You can name one and say what they do for a living, if you like.

Hado, you could go surfing. There’s boards going spare. Give me an Athletics check and then an Acrobatics check in the same post, if either are high then 12 you catch a wave and if both are higher than 12 you’ll catch the eye of someone important.

These are far from your only options.

When you’re done, choose a district to go shopping for masks... plus whatever else you intend to follow.

Taking the advice of the Mysterious Voice From above, Gear investigates her Tinker tools, to see what she can learn about it. ((OOC question here: Given gear's got plenty of time ,is it safe to assume the floor on her investigate check here would be 15? That is, 10 + 2(prof) +3 (int) - same style as Passive Perception?)

geth roll 1d20+5 for Investigate the tools

Gear also takes the time to pull out the broken butterfly she retrieved from the cave, and uses Mending on it, restoring it to pristine state as she drinks the Tea Fatta brought. Once she's done, she shows it to Fatta. "You said the Petalway auction houses to sell this, yes? Or is there anyone you could suggest we could learn amore about this from? I'm loathe to just sell it, given where we found it. Not without more understanding"

Gear also considers surfing. If Hado goes, she might go along. She's never trid surfing before. it sounds terrible, and also fun! (I dont want to upstage Hado here tho, if they want to roll for it?)

Investigate the tools:
    1d20+5 16 [1d20=11]

Aftrer a further moment of thoguht, gear takes her cloak off and lays it on the ground, and then starts to carefully work over it, seeking to glean what she can about it

Geth roll 1d20+5 for investigate
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for history
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Arcana

(Gear going ALL IN on CLOAK RESEARCH)

investigate:
    1d20+5 16 [1d20=11]
    history:
    1d20+3 11 [1d20=8]
    Arcana:
    1d20+5 17 [1d20=12]

"Auntie, since you looked over the things they found, would you be willing to tell me anything unusual about this dagger?" Baber holds it out to Auntie Fatta for inspection.

Afterwards, Baber is going to go look for Gonin, their mother's mother's cousin [OOC: he'd be their cousin once removed, I think?]. He taught Baber everything they know about fishing, and he's always been willing to lend a hand if he can. Baber is going to ask him about ideas for making a mask for the festival.

JtgVX0H.png
    edited July 2020
    On his dawn walk, Hado had noticed the surf breaking in a nearby cove. After he spoke with Fatta following breakfast, he snagged a spare (Ishtari sized) surfboard and headed back for that stretch of beach. On his way out the door, he taps Gear on the shoulder, “The surf is up not too far south from here. Grab a board if you want to give it a try? I’ll be there a while.”

He reaches the beach where the surf is still coming in and drops his gear above the tide line, then wades out and begins to paddle.

Glub glub augh glarg

Oh I shouldn’t have added the spaces there. The modifiers wouldn’t have saved me though!

Geth roll 1d20 + 2 for athletics
    Geth roll 1d20 + 1 for acrobatics

athletics:
    1d20 3 [1d20=3]
    acrobatics:
    1d20 10 [1d20=10]

Tynnan on
    edited July 2020
    Gear’s morning...

After a lengthy investigation you have gleaned the following:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BCAXss74YCo&amp;list=PL53B42648B9A3C3A6&amp;index=6&amp;t=0s

With each delicate tool removed from the case you realise it has a false bottom. By applying pressure just so and turning the tiniest of dials a thin compartment opens up. Inside is a crisp document. It goes unfinished, but details a concept for a flying machine!
    b8eeaxsb8ljl.jpeg

It’s no where near enough to build from, but at the top left of the document it reads ‘Songbird Concept by Lightning.

It’s only when you stop do you realise the document is written in Architect, a language all Primodem instinctively know despite having no idea who their creators were.

You catch Auntie Fatta while she is reading Kaburin poetry after breakfast. The art of calligraphy and poetry is very important to the Kaburin; they see writing as a sacred sign of whether a being has a soul or not.

“Hm... Yes, Petalway is the place to be if you want a high price, but a good home for it could be your parents house!”, she lets out a little chuckle, but then turns serious, “There is a group called the Ashen Creed that use a dragonfly for their symbol. No not be fooled into thinking that matters. They are not folk you need to know. Better to give it away and just let it be a beautiful ornament!”

Later on you look over your cloak.

Your arcane curiosity leads you to perceive the potential of your cloak!

If you were to have your cloak upgraded somehow, when you defeat a creature in combat, by killing them, knocking them unconscious or forcing them to yield, you turn invisible until the start of your next turn!

You detect that your cloak can be upgraded three more times!

You don’t know the history of the cloak, only that is was made far away from New Zellatia. It’s high quality and magical properties lead you to believe it was made by a spellcaster, and not alone. Does such a place that could produce this still exist, you wonder.

———

Baber’s request...

The old Kaburin murmurs, “I can’t say I know much...”

You’re beginning to think that’s rarely true.

“But that’s Floretta made. Very early days. Did you know how the Floretta came to be? A goddess was slain by the Vilelord, and her essence scattered to the winds. They were born after, mostly from Tunglani, a few from each of the races known to New Zellatia. For this to have such a design it can only be 20 or so years old. A much newer item than the others you found.”

“Imagine, the smith of this dagger could well be living in the city right now!”

Baber’s visit...

You find Gonin sat behind a fishing rod. He speak to you in a slow change of blue of calm to a warm orange.

“Blood of my blood, may you swim in calm waters.”, he says.

After a few minutes catching up he considers your plight.

“If I were you, I’d not be so heavy!”, he slaps his belly, smiling with razor sharp teeth, “But honestly, for a young lad I’d go for... try your hand at carpentry, I’ve got the tools. Buying a fancy one from a mask maker is good, but your own mask is humble of you. I would help you, naturally. Maybe something simple, like... the moon! The moon is in love with the sea, I think. I’ve watched and the waves are different depending on her mood. Real simple to make, even if we’re not master craftsmen.”

“Still... If you can afford an expensive mask from my pal Mot-no-Tsu in Petalway, you could really turn some heads! Might catch yourself a ‘spirit’ that way.”

He winks when he says spirit, and you know he means another Calipdis at whatever party you end up at.

———

Hado’s surfing...

...Doesn’t really go to plan. You see a towering tattooed woman watching from the cliff, and you lose track of the wake, crashing into the blue before you get a proper balance on the board. When you break the surface you hear the cheers and laughter of the locals, but the woman is gone. She was Ishtari, dark skinned with white tattoos, and long dreadlocks. You reckon you could pick her out if you saw her again, even from such distance.

Baber’s other (other other) cousin, Pult, swims over and gives you a couple of pointers. Soon you’re catching waves far better.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=el_r5y_AcrE&amp;list=PL00zNsTsyFf0S7toXGwxj6ObwMbKGMJV3&amp;index=58&amp;t=0s

Endless_Serpents on
    Gear would have gone surfing, but by the time she's done inspecting things, Hado looks to be finishing up (And is doing some pretty stylish tricks too). She's already said her thanks to Fatta for everything. When Hado's free, she takes the time to fill him in on her discoveries about the cloak, the flying machine schema, and everything else she's gleaned.

"So, Hado, where doyou want to go next? I was thinking of finding my family and getting there help on a Mask and costume. We should collect Baber too"

Hado makes his way back to Auntie Fatta's and replaces the surfboard. "Gear! We missed you at the beach. I had a bit of trouble at first, but some locals showed me how to balance better. If we are going to the festival, we should find masks, yes. There are a few things in town I want to check out, too. Should we head to Dogabag? I would like to ask Juyo there about this shield I found yesterday."

"there was science to be done." Gears time and voice is deadly serious, not realising she sounds faintly ridiculous.

"These items, they've got a much potential... And this schema. A flying machine... Just think what we could do for the relighters! Or what my family could do, given they work in construction!" She's practically vibrating with excitement. "Dogabog yes, let's go, find my family and talk with them". She grabs hados arm and attempts to drag him off - the fact they're supposed to be finding masks lost in the thrill of science

Baber bows to Gonin for the offer to use their tools and their advice.

"Thank you, Uncle! I'll return the tools later; I'm going to go with my friends to look for masks for them and to run some other errands. I'll see about picking up some nice wood for my own mask while I'm out!"

Then they head back to Auntie Fatta's to join Hado and Gear. Time to head to Dogabog!

JtgVX0H.png
    Gear is continuing to try and drag Hado, but it's unclear if she's actually making any progress (or that she's noticed she's probably not making any progress) in her excitement

(OOC: I just like the mental image of tiny robot girl attempting to drag GIANT ISHTARI around. Cmon hado, there's SCIENCE we could be doing. SCIENCE!)

Hado lets himself be led about like a balloon on a string! Bewildering!

edited July 2020
    “Oi! What do you want?!”

A little Tunglani child of no more than 5 heckles you from a window from a high apartment. They laugh straight away, covering their grin with a grubby hand. They dash away just as quick and reappear in the arms of a grizzled old man on the step of the ground floor door. He says something cheerful to you all in a slang so thick you could butter bread with it. They both wave to you as you pass. The hoot of a monkey mixes with the call of a pair of bird’s of paradise. The flash of colour catches your attention, was that a bird, or was something thrown across one of the high spires? As you turn the first corner you witness a huge painting of Mamukuchu, the God of Delight, graffitied across a once intimidating black tower. Silk shades are hung across spikes, and each gargoyle is wearing a different clay hat. Well then, looks like you’ve made it.

Dogabag

Ask what ‘Dogabag’* means and the locals will provide. There’s as many stories about the name as fools to ask. The old town, almost everyone living here can trace their lineage directly to a soldier of the rebellion that survived the final battle. Rough, ready, but known for providing aid city wide in whatever way they can.

Things to do in Dogabag…

Enter a tournament. Bouts are held every day, from full blown gladiatorial leagues to sporting events of all stripes. More often than not newcomers gain free entry and the support of the crowd, after all, anyone can reach the top.

Learn from the best. A mentor and student mentality pervades everyday life in Dogabag, and for those willing to pass the trials they sent some of the finest instruction can be sought here.

Uncover secret passages. Many have been found and are used by the locals as just enough means of getting around; Dogabag is riddled with hidden doors, underground catacombs and spyholes. When you lean against that wall just so, where will you end up?

Offer a helping head. Leaderless, working fast and loose, the beginnings of such concepts as a fire fighting service, ‘listeners to woes’ and ‘healers on the go’ are being brought into being across Dogabag. Will you offer the city your talents?

Lose your hat. Monkeys and other inquisitive wildlife have found tentative footholds in this district. Found amusing by the locals, they’re allowed free run of the place, and some have been taken in as pampered pets or trained for a variety of purposes. If you want a good mount or animal ally head to Nana Kona’s ranch snug between the pavilions of a collapse keep.

Open for business. Near free of big business, a fellow is free to build the place of their dreams and drum up the interest of curious patrons. Be it a tavern or potion emporium, you’re bound to attract coin aplenty in this otherwise old fashioned district. Who would stand in your way?

[OOC:

*I haven’t picked anyone up for typing it slightly differently, because it really, really doesn’t matter to me.

I’m too busy to post more but we’ll move briskly on when I post next. Feel free to narrate / chat / whatever for a bit. Apologies for the slow start and lack of describe and maps so far.]

Endless_Serpents on