As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Summer 2020 [TV]: Revenge of the Bachelor

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Effective immediately for new subscribers (effective the next billing cycle for current customers) Youtube TV will cost $65 a month. A $15 increase from the last raise in April '19, and a $30 increase from its original launch price barely three years ago

Cobra Kai, originally a Youtube TV exclusive, has been acquired by Netflix and will have both seasons released later in the year, with a third season announced

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I think Joss Whedon's dialogue style (codified with Buffy) is still absolutely huge in tv and movies that have any kind of comedic element. One of the wild things about Buffy is that its dialogue really doesn't feel dated, and that's because that style of dialogue is everywhere,

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Does anybody actually use YouTube TV? And for $65 /mo?

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I don't really know what the difference is between a "generational touchstone" and a "cultural touchstone," and I also don't know that it particularly matters

Every generation is introduced to Star Wars, Batman, Spider-Man, Harry Potter, ect...

I don't know if Generation X are being introduced to something like Cheers or Seinfeld though.

I mean, into every generation a slayer is born: one girl in all the world, a chosen one.

It's right there.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Are you insinuating that Diane Chambers was a former Slayer???

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Joolander wrote: »
    Does anybody actually use YouTube TV? And for $65 /mo?

I did the free trial after PS Vue was discontinued and then decided I didn’t really need cable anymore so I didn’t continue it.

YouTube TV is just cable without the cable provider.

rhylith on
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

I am now.

With Cliff as the Watcher.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    but without a cable provider how will I activate all my Roku apps

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    We watched some I Love Lucy with my kids (they're 9 and 7, my older daughter read a Who Was book about Lucille Ball) and they thought it was pretty funny and I honestly didn't expect that but it does give me the chance to introduce them to the Dick Van Dyke Show soon and that's exciting for me because I like it better.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2020
    Tube wrote: »
    I think Joss Whedon's dialogue style (codified with Buffy) is still absolutely huge in tv and movies that have any kind of comedic element. One of the wild things about Buffy is that its dialogue really doesn't feel dated, and that's because that style of dialogue is everywhere,

Yeah it was the first show I remember watching where the dialogue and jokes were, maybe not exactly how teens talked, but had that kind of rhythm. How teens wish they talked, maybe. Until then, everything else geared at my age group was either painfully inauthentic or, like, Degrassi.

tynic on
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular

This made me laugh, but mainly because I read it in the same tone as, "Are you saying Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?"

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
    It's hard to believe that the world ever accepted Xander as a character. Xander, who invites Buffy to receive "a birthday spanking"

Everrrry day I regret my username just a tad bit more.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I hear Shmimpy Pim oh God no what am I saying has opened back up

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    It's hard to believe that the world ever accepted Xander as a character. Xander, who invites Buffy to receive "a birthday spanking"

Xander who made Anya, the best character, cry

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

xander was a whole lot of us in high school and boy do I not miss that

a whole lot of us

Anya cannot be the best character because she was introduced long after the show stopped being good

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    ....season 3?

Doesn't she join the main cast in 4? Ok CONCEDED.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

Let me introduce you to my first year undergrad engineering class. Or let me not, actually.

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Xander is their accidentally apt depiction of a shitty high schooler who goes on to be a shitty adult who excuses their wrong doing with some bitter chip on the shoulder grudge that the world owes them something. Stumbles their way through mess after mess that's their fault through action or inaction with a shrug a grin, and maybe an insincere sorry. He's the real life version of what they tried to depict with Warren's Trio.

akajaybay on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    Also it's kind of weird that Xander's best friend is killed in the first episode, and then he kills the vampire version, and then that friend is never mentioned ever again.

Some easy character development just laying on the table. No? You're just going to leave it there? Oh, okay.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I have a deep fondness for Xander because he fulfills one of the roles I like most in those sorts of shows

I won't deny that he sucks, but I still like him a whole lot better than a lot of other cast members

Straightzi on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Sometimes friendships are like Tennyson and A.H.H. where you lament and mourn always and forever.

Sometimes friendships are like in Stand By Me and you just move on from them.

ChicoBlue on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Let me introduce you to my first year undergrad engineering class. Or let me not, actually.

Something like this?

wd3fn6eh294m.gif

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    You gotta keep an eye on that Xander guy...

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Sure doesn't help that Nicholas Brendon is a piece of shit!

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

Hasn't he also had some pretty rough struggles with mental illness and addiction?

Not trying to excuse or defend, genuinely asking because I can't remember where in the Brendon Discourse we are

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

I did a quick google to see what this was referring to.

Well, he sure does have a lot going on now.

Quire.jpg
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    by the time anya joins the main cast she is easily the only good character on the show

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I don't know if the shitty adult part was accidental or deliberate. They wanted to show him struggling to adapt post high school just like every other major character and then just kind of left it there. Like there were a few break points where he could possibly have turned things around but just didn't and then they stopped really doing much of anything with him other than showing he learned a trade skill. But not much on personal growth. Maybe the later writers just werent interested in him at that point. I guess they tried to cast him as the dependable friend but never confronted his crummier past behavior.
    I mean season two end when he's supposed to warn Buffy that Willow is restoring Angel's soul and then deliberately chooses not to out of his dislike of Angel or his noted Buffy obsession. That was a doozy and they pretty much skate past it.
    Today Xander would be complaining about cancel culture, or if he'd achieved any level of power or notoriety would have a bunch of people detailing their questionable encounters with Xander over the years.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    by the time anya joins the main cast she is easily the only good character on the show

I'm sorry, I think you are forgetting about Riley, the very good boy.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Zon you gotta know that you're the only person in the entire world who likes Riley

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

Hasn't he also had some pretty rough struggles with mental illness and addiction?

Not trying to excuse or defend, genuinely asking because I can't remember where in the Brendon Discourse we are

You know, maybe I was too glib with this, he has struggled with alcoholism and depression, and deserves some measure of compassion for that. He's also been charged for assaulting two different women.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    oh Riley, you dumb hunk, you.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Zon you gotta know that you're the only person in the entire world who likes Riley

I think he is.... fine!

They sure have trouble finding stuff for him to do though.

Quire.jpg
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    which is like

he's a government monster hunter, how could you not find stuff for him to do in Sunnydale?

Season Four is full of good ideas that they never quite manage to wrangle

Also some of the best and worst individual episodes of the show

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

Anecdotally, I know of one forumer here who named his kid after that dude.

season 4 is the one with the haunted house Halloween episode?

oh season 4 also has the BEER GOOD BEER MAKE CAVEGIRL episode

This discussion has been closed.