As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [GIF] thread is mourning Stephen Wilhite by arguing about pronunciation (nsf56k)

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

Now that gif is clearly reversed.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    that cat is dope

Soon he'll be chugging Monster and playing Fortnite.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    ain't no laws when you drink/have claws

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    This is either hilarious or horrifying, depending on how you interpret his response:

lTg4Hnb.jpeg

Drone Chimps will destroy us all.

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    A bit early for another Planet of the Apes reboot, but I'll watch it.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Sound

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    been there

you will inevitably fuck up in a kitchen when your hardware fails in a spectacular fashion

you will also grab a pot/pan by the handle when it has just been out of the oven too

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    oh man when he grabbed the bottom of the actual pan i could feel my own hand melting

it seems like it wasn't actually too hot based on his non-reaction, but oh boy that coulda been real bad

oh man when he grabbed the bottom of the actual pan i could feel my own hand melting

it seems like it wasn't actually too hot based on his non-reaction, but oh boy that coulda been real bad

one of the first things you get hammered into your head at school/kitchen work is to NOT CATCH THE FALLING KNIFE OR PAN

you might think it's stupid, but it is instinctual to grab something you drop

same when you work with torches

• WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular
    Pip out here hunting Frankensteins like he's a Bloodborne villager

DRCdHs6.jpg?1

I mean also don't catch those torches too, but I meant more of the oxy-accetaline variety

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

I mean also don't catch those torches too, but I meant more of the oxy-accetaline variety

n9hpsm4egc2y.jpg

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

one of the first things you get hammered into your head at school/kitchen work is to NOT CATCH THE FALLING KNIFE OR PAN

I dunno, I think I'd still try to catch an $800 knife.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    If it cost $800 I sure hope it can survive a fall to the ground unharmed.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I mean, I might not have $800 on me, but as long as all my fingers are still attached I reckon I could work it off.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Doodmann wrote: »

I dunno, I think I'd still try to catch an $800 knife.

most chefs do not use 800 knives, even top chefs

also, I hope you got real good insurance, cause reattaching tendons ain't cheap

• see317see317 Registered User regular

I learned this lesson real young when one of my buddies nearly lost his thumb being a dumbass with a mall katana.
    Turns out, even cheap mall katanas can cut like a bastard when you try to catch them by the sharp part.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »

Literally only TV chefs use 800 dollar knives.

Working cooks use this shit

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    $800 for even a custom made knife sounds overpriced.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    My santoku cost me just over $100 on sale and it's likely the most I'd ever spend on a knife.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    You could probably get $800 out of a $20 knife if you mugged the right people with it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Imagine the people you could mug with an $800 knife though

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    TheStig wrote: »
    Imagine the people you could mug with an $800 knife though

2ky8nv6ldkw6.jpg

What you see in this little wannabe badass's belt is an engraved silver knife from Tiffany Co. and cost around $800 in 1884 dollars.

Here's what it looked like out of the sheath:
    baozfc794ivw.jpg

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited July 2020
    #pipe wrote: »
    Ranlin wrote: »

Literally only TV chefs use 800 dollar knives.

Working cooks use this shit

I have known dudes to spend that much, but they likely only have it at home or maybe if they're michelin starred

you will get just as much out of a $150 knife that will last longer than you do and will keep a great edge

anything passed a wustof or henckels is vanity rather than functionality or quality

EDIT: but yeah, any kitchen or butcher I've ever been in the back of has those style knives right there for whoever doesn't bring their own(so almost everybody)

PiptheFair on
    Global is worth shelling out for (100ish for a chef's knife) from what I've heard.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    Skeith wrote: »
    Global is worth shelling out for (100ish for a chef's knife) from what I've heard.

oh yeah, there are plenty of solid knives in the 75-200 range

just giving two common and well-respected ones as an example

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    One of the cooking/kitchen youtubes did a consumer reports style thing on a bunch of different chef's knives and while there was one really expensive one that was pretty dang good, there was another that was like $40 that was nearly impossible to tell apart.

fakeedit: here we go. It was originally a test of various carbon steel knives, but when they had the clear winner, they decided to pit that $300 knife against their go-to stainless steel $40 knife, and it took a LOT of use (including at least 50 weighted strokes on a glass cuttingboard (aka the easiest way to wreck a knife) to find any meaningfully noticeable difference in the two knives, and it was still just not a big difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e50gujs4l-I

realedit: the stainless steel knife was a $40 swiss army knife (victorinox), that's now only $32 on Amazon.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    When I was a trainee chef I got myself a nice Gustav, asked one of the chefs to run the steel over it so I didn't immediately fuck it up, and he rammed it point-first into the steel.

6 or so years later when I got married I spent some gift money on a few Globals, recounted the story of how the chef took the point off my new knife when I got it, and then immediately bonked my new cook's knife on a tile, bending the point.

No moral, other than that I shouldn't be trusted with sharp objects.

Also 15 years on I still use the Gustav because the Global is too long.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The best knife is the one that fits your hand the best, weighs the best for what you want, and has a good cost effectiveness for you, the user. I see a lot of these $400 designed knives with handles that look like torture devices.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    The best knife is the one that fits your hand the best, weighs the best for what you want, and has a good cost effectiveness for you, the user. I see a lot of these $400 designed knives with handles that look like torture devices.

Yup, even when Good Eats covered knives, they did a segment with a professional knife sharpener and he said the number one thing to look for is how it feels in your hand. Adam Ragusea added later that the feel and fit should make you want to use it, because the knife you buy but never use is functionally useless. And that goes just as much for cost. If it's so expensive you're afraid to use it, it's too expensive.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    victorinox knives are absolutely bonkers good for the price but the handles on them tend to be too chunky for comfort, imo

the stuff the handles are made of is also really brittle

• PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    this is giving me flash backs to when i worked at a sandwich shop. i remember the knife blades we used seeming like pretty good quality (relatively speaking for that type of eatery), but the handles seemed like they for some unknown reason had been intentionally designed to be uncomfortable. good times.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Goddamnit you had to link a restaurant supply site, now I wanna scrap all of my dishes and kit my kitchen out with nothing but what looks like it came from some old roadside diner.

Sound on for this one

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    victorinox knives are absolutely bonkers good for the price but the handles on them tend to be too chunky for comfort, imo

the stuff the handles are made of is also really brittle

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019WZEUE/

This is the one I use, the only complaint I have is I can't toss it in the dishwasher.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me