As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

She Blinded Me With [Science] Thread

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Stellar lifting, mining a star basically, sounds backwards “we’re going to make our fusion core last longer by removing some of its fuel, refining it, and using the contaminants to build stuff” but it works. In theory.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I thought, until I was like, 15, that I was born with a tail. it was an extremely long con by my parents. They told me it when I was little, and it didn't come up enough that they had to recant.

One of my uncles had a tail. Not like a proper monkey tail, sadly, but a horse-style tail of long flowing butt locks. When he was maybe 10 or 12 they finally dug around because something seemed to be growing there at the bottom of his spine and they discovered a mass with formed teeth inside it. Turned out to be a twin that never was.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    aaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    8VVozZ8.jpg
    Left to right: a red dwarf, the Sun, a B-type main sequence star, and R136a1

OOO STAR BIG

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I thought, until I was like, 15, that I was born with a tail. it was an extremely long con by my parents. They told me it when I was little, and it didn't come up enough that they had to recant.

One of my uncles had a tail. Not like a proper monkey tail, sadly, but a horse-style tail of long flowing butt locks. When he was maybe 10 or 12 they finally dug around because something seemed to be growing there at the bottom of his spine and they discovered a mass with formed teeth inside it. Turned out to be a twin that never was.

My guess was going to be a teratoma but this makes sense too.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ... nature is fucking horrifying and I rescind all my previous posts about preserving it, let us upload to the silicon hivemind and never speak of this again

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    could he swish the horse tail? probably not, right?

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    What is it with nature and having such a default for "yeah I'll put teeth here" it makes NO SENSE to me that teeth are so common in terratomas.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    no but his brother Colt could!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    From a cursory search of literature, teratomas with teeth actually don't seem to be all that common compared to teratomas composed of more basal cell types, I think they're just the ones that get all the press because gaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    So could you like, grab it by the tail and yank it out with a satisfying fleshy tear and pop?

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »
    ... nature is fucking horrifying and I rescind all my previous posts about preserving it, let us upload to the silicon hivemind and never speak of this again

Picture the digital equivalent of a partially absorbed twin though

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

existentially horrifying but physically neutral, 1.5 stars.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

?
    t615kqzt4hps.png

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

This is basically just nested code isn't it?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    8VVozZ8.jpg

OOO STAR BIG

hydrogen machine go brrrrrrrr

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    8VVozZ8.jpg

OOO STAR BIG

hydrogen machine go brrrrrrrr
    Was gonna grab one of those videos where they take radio radio waves from the sun and convert them into audio, then replace the brrrrrr in your post with it as a joke. But it turns out brrrrr is actually what that sounds like.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I-zdmg_Dno

• Options
    That weird bullshit that bounces off Jupiter or whatever featured in a highly disturbing nightmare, like orbiting Jupiter and theres nothing to see but Jupiter and that weird bullshit is blaring

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• Options
    I like listening to Space Sounds.

they play nicely with the constant noise my brain makes.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    That weird bullshit that bounces off Jupiter or whatever featured in a highly disturbing nightmare, like orbiting Jupiter and theres nothing to see but Jupiter and that weird bullshit is blaring

Jupiter sounds freak the hell out of me

• Options
    I’m so mad I know what a teratoma is now

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I’m so mad I know what a teratoma is now

Well, they seem bad at first, but they grow on you.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    God damnit

I’m gonna have to meticulously fondle my balls tonight to make sure I don’t have one

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Apparently the question whether teratoma with highly developed tissue actually represent parasitic twins isn't fully resolved

Screenwriters love that interpretation though

• Options
    as opposed to all the other reasons you have for fondling yourself

• Options
    God damnit

I’m gonna have to meticulously fondle my balls tonight to make sure I don’t have one

What's wrong, you don't want ballteeth?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    ahl1kpbe0ufo.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Okay, slightly curly question for you, science thread.

Say I have paired values, X and Y, for a couple hundred items. X and Y are both variables with limited ranges, i.e. they can be anywhere between 0.00 and 10.00.

When I plot these paired values on a scatter plot, there's very low correlation between X and Y, but the graph appears to show that X is a very strong inverse predictor of the minimum possible Y value, such that X+Y is always at least 10. So, for example, if X=5.95, then 10.00>=Y>=4.05.

My question is, is there a statistical test can I do to prove (or disprove) that this is a significant pattern?

Butler on
  • Options
    as opposed to all the other reasons you have for fondling yourself

The key word is “meticulously”

Vs “vigorously”

• Options
    Feed your bawbag into a paint shaker to break up toothy teratomas and other essence inhibiting blockages

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    ap240pxminif.png

tag urself im strange bottom

The story I was told when learning the standard model was that the discoverers of quarks had to be talked out of naming them after ice cream flavours. I've never actually verified that, but I like the idea so much I'm never deviating from it.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    If I ever made a discovery and had to name like 100 things I'd give them all very scientific sounding Latin names except for one which I'd name something like the double dildo ass blaster.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    AlanF5AlanF5 Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Okay, slightly curly question for you, science thread.

Say I have paired values, X and Y, for a couple hundred items. X and Y are both variables with limited ranges, i.e. they can be anywhere between 0.00 and 10.00.

When I plot these paired values on a scatter plot, there's very low correlation between X and Y, but the graph appears to show that X is a very strong inverse predictor of the minimum possible Y value, such that X+Y is always at least 10. So, for example, if X=5.95, then 10.00>=Y>=4.05.

My question is, is there a statistical test can I do to prove (or disprove) that this is a significant pattern?

You could look at the frequency distribution of your X+Y and compare it against the the distribution curve you'd expect from two truly random values.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    double dildo ass blaster.

I believe Bad Dragon has already brought that product to market.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pRxp2FKq_U

sometimes I am both calebs

• Options
    who likes immune system biology? I like immune system biology

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

The only thing on the side of the city I don't understand at a glance is how changing to electric heating is supposed to help much by itself. It's the most ineffective way to produce heat there is. Would have to check further where their power comes from.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Here, have this article about blindsight, a condition best explained as blind people who can see things but are blind.
    One day, some psychologists placed Barry in a corridor full of obstacles like boxes and chairs. They took away his walking stick and told him to walk down the corridor. The result of this simple experiment would prove dramatic for our understanding of consciousness. Barry was able to navigate around the obstacles without tripping over a single one.

Barry has blindsight, an extremely rare condition that is as paradoxical as it sounds. People with blindsight consistently deny awareness of items in front of them, but they are capable of amazing feats, which demonstrate that, in some sense, they must be able to see them.

In another case, a man with blindsight (let’s call him Rick) was put in front of a screen and told to guess (from several options) what object was on the screen. Rick insisted that he didn’t know what was there and that he was just guessing, yet he was guessing with over 90% accuracy.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
This discussion has been closed.