As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]ter's Block

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Also "Silas Brown" and Vanguard I read your discussion a bit on Pathfinder and other systems.

I will say Pathfinder 2.0's leveling system after reading it is interesting. Not the scaling but the idea of how they use your initial decisions of species/race and such and how it combines with your class. The idea of gaining feats/abilities based on your choice of ancestry as you level is neat. And they built it very much around more cultural abilities at times. Stuff like gaining knowledge of weapons, better scavenging, and so on. Some are more innate like poison resistance.

At the same time though it is still 3.5 scaling. And after playing 5E and running in that for a while 3.5 scaling is just so annoying. 5E built around proficiency and a linear growth of levels not so much the rapid increase with skill points and such is just so much easier to build encounters and checks. Growth is still there but 5E is so much more predictable and skewed.

Vanguard I would say take a look at the character creation rules for Pathfinder 2.0 I am trying to figure how to move them to 5E. I just really like them.

Send me a PDF and I’ll give some ideas

I’ve only read 5E but a lot of it’s sensibility is cribbed from both story games and OSR

Sent.

5E feels one of the most balanced and flexible systems for D&D in a long time. There are few things not possible with some good DMing and using the system. Even though its social skills are simple (deception, persuasion, insight) but it is enough to build out a good interaction.

Also they gave all classes stuff to do in combat beyond just attack rolls. Reaction/action/bonus actions for even basic fighters. Resource usage across the board is interesting too.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I have gotten lost in reading a translation of the original comic Tower of God is based on. Its still an interesting world. Recommend it highly.

Do you mean the comic that the anime is based on?

It's incredible. I'm constantly surprised by how many different distinct characters the author can come up with and how they weave in and out of the story. His art has seriously improved since the beginning too!

• A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    oh no i have theories about gunnerkrigg court now comic what have you done to me
    i am in camp 'tic-tocs are closely related to the seed bismuth if not actually the seed bismuth' because there are heavy hints that Kat maybe or maybe not becoming a god and it would be super appropriate if kat was the god of the court itself and if ysingrin can be trusted (which he can't, tbh) there's indications that the damaged tic-toc 'rooted itself' (his words, not mine) into the place where it was found

the next page will probably disprove all of this and tom will make fun of us all

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I have put together some chocolate chip and walnut cookies using stevia chips. I am quite curious to see how they turn out.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    For 5th ed content beyond the core books I cannot recommend "Strongholds and Followers" enough. It's main content is about characters being able to set up their own keeps / towers / temples / establishment (with lots of sub types within those categories) and gain followers. There's new mechanics for how that impacts the characters while they are out adventuring which is still assumed to be the core of the game. Also some new monsters and a damn good adventure.

One nice side effect is that it actually gives players something to do with treasure. In 5th ed as written gaining GP is so pointless that I have trouble getting my players to even keep track of how much non-magic treasure (coins, gems etc...) they find.

There is a basic mass-combat system (lots more on that coming in their next book "Kingdoms and Warfare") that is pretty interesting in that it doesn't just try to make a fantasy wargame. Its about running mass combat where there is a battle going on in the background but the actual play is still focused on the player characters and what they are doing in it (and how they affect the course of the battle).

Strongholds and Followers is very much rooted in the old idea, that took up a huge amount of the page count in original D&D, that the goal that characters are working towards is setting up their own domain. Eventually becoming high enough level that they retire into non-player status and what they built becomes a vital part of the campaign world for the next generation of characters.

Their next book Kingdoms and Warfare looks like it is a homage and improvement upon the ideas in 2nd ed Birthright.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    @Vanguard

@RiemannLives

Looks like I'm going to need to do a second pass/layer on these. I didn't look at them too closely in the sunlight, mostly because I didn't want to handle them while wet and I didn't trust the poster tack and the foam.

mAtzVJQl.jpg

I should've seen that coming, given that I got the front, back, and sides. But.. well, for whatever reason it didn't occur to me. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Except I know how to pronounce Moog.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I have gotten lost in reading a translation of the original comic Tower of God is based on. Its still an interesting world. Recommend it highly.

It's incredible. I'm constantly surprised by how many different distinct characters the author can come up with and how they weave in and out of the story. His art has seriously improved since the beginning too!

Is there somewhere you can read this online?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Webtoon has it

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
    Brody wrote: »

Yup, the official site is here. This is the first chapter: https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-1-ep-0/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=1

The table of contents for the comic has thumbnails for each chapter so be careful. Also don't read the comments at the bottom of each chapter!! Lots of spoilers from jerkfaces.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I don’t think I’ve taken 30 steps today

healthy

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hmm. Stevia chips are definitely less sweet and way less melty. Not bad, but definitely different.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I don’t think I’ve taken 30 steps today

healthy

Movement efficient!

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQB7x8vfLp4

Telsa vs road cones. The test starting at a 1:50 is hilarious and a little disturbing.

edited July 2020
    Athenor wrote: »
    Vanguard

RiemannLives

Looks like I'm going to need to do a second pass/layer on these. I didn't look at them too closely in the sunlight, mostly because I didn't want to handle them while wet and I didn't trust the poster tack and the foam.

mAtzVJQl.jpg

I should've seen that coming, given that I got the front, back, and sides. But.. well, for whatever reason it didn't occur to me. :)

Something to consider is taking some magnetic tape (one of the thinner varieties of these https://www.amazon.com/s?k=magnetic+tape&ref=nb_sb_noss_1 ) and cutting off a piece to put in the base of each model. You need to use glue even for ones that come with adhesive as the glue on those lasts about 2 weeks tops. It gives the model a bit of weight in the base so its less likely to fall over and it also means you can store them more easily using the magnets.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    @21stCentury i just reread some of the earlier posts from when I was driving. What is doing a Trudeau?

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    @21stCentury I mean I can't tell Quebequois French from France French but I think I found some hits searching for "Henri pis sa Gang".

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I just saw the examples of using magnets with painting handles. One thing about power rangers is that it has a TOOOOON of minis and uses a lot of open holders to separate everything out. I'd love a better storage solution.

The plan after these is to move to my Mansions of Madness models. Those have specialized bases and I have an organizer kit that utilizes them.

Looking at the Goobertown video I think I was way too conservative on my poster putty. I also liked the suggestion of double-sided tape, though I still like the idea of using floral foam to get smaller, more managable areas than cardboard. Also he primed without gloves on and just didn't give a darn about the paint. I don't think I can do that because of the apartment situation. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    21stCentury I mean I can't tell Quebequois French from France French but I think I found some hits searching for "Henri pis sa Gang".

Yeah, me too, but it was all fandub.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    @21stCentury i just reread some of the earlier posts from when I was driving. What is doing a Trudeau?

it's doing that thing trudeau did.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    21stCentury I mean I can't tell Quebequois French from France French but I think I found some hits searching for "Henri pis sa Gang".

Yeah, me too, but it was all fandub.

ah lame

hmm it's gotta be out there somewhere

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Yeah, I just saw the examples of using magnets with painting handles. One thing about power rangers is that it has a TOOOOON of minis and uses a lot of open holders to separate everything out. I'd love a better storage solution.

The plan after these is to move to my Mansions of Madness models. Those have specialized bases and I have an organizer kit that utilizes them.

Looking at the Goobertown video I think I was way too conservative on my poster putty. I also liked the suggestion of double-sided tape, though I still like the idea of using floral foam to get smaller, more managable areas than cardboard. Also he primed without gloves on and just didn't give a darn about the paint. I don't think I can do that because of the apartment situation. :)

oh man do not do any priming inside. it's not about getting it on your hands but your lungs. outside for sure and on a warm day with low humidity is best.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

I knew there was a good joke in there but I didn't consider it from the FF angle, let alone the cute FF angle

What have I become

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin

oh man do not do any priming inside. it's not about getting it on your hands but your lungs. outside for sure and on a warm day with low humidity is best.

Oh yeah, tried priming once in my apartment 3 years ago, took all kinds of precautions and lined a bathroom with plastic. Never doing that again, and that's why I have put things off so long.

What I mean is I don't wanna get it on my hands too much because I live on the 3rd floor and there are some shared hallways/doors that I don't wanna get messy.

Today wasn't too bad. 80 degrees and 70% humidity, but I was very anxious. I'm gonna try holding the spray can further away but I am not 100% sure how to get primer into all those nooks and crannies short of direct bursts.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Nice

Andrew Rhea of Binging with Babish has the carving fork from the movie Chef that Jon Favreau plates the pasta aglio e olio with for Scarlett Johannson

He claims that folks ask him when he's going to frame it and he insists that it's just in a drawer as a daily driver

what the fuck his name isn't even babish????

Casual Eddy on

Oh yeah, tried priming once in my apartment 3 years ago, took all kinds of precautions and lined a bathroom with plastic. Never doing that again, and that's why I have put things off so long.

What I mean is I don't wanna get it on my hands too much because I live on the 3rd floor and there are some shared hallways/doors that I don't wanna get messy.

Today wasn't too bad. 80 degrees and 70% humidity, but I was very anxious. I'm gonna try holding the spray can further away but I am not 100% sure how to get primer into all those nooks and crannies short of direct bursts.

Most important is use decent primer. I like Army Painter brand but there's lots of good ones out there.

Then do sweeps across the mini from the distance recommended on the can rather than direct bursts. Don't need to get it all at once do more and thinner sweeps. If you do need to touch up with a direct burst then do it from further away and only get closer if you are sure you need to.

If it all goes wrong you can always strip the mini and try again. To do then soak it in simple green or isopropyl alcohol and give it a good scrubbing. After doing that the mini will look pretty haggard and discolored but it will be fine to prime again.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    what even is a babish

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Since I've got nothing else to do, following up briefly on the pop art-ness of Japanese art.

So like with rising incomes and urbanization in Tokugawa Japan, you had a really sizable developing early middle class in Japan. And because it's a country at peace, the middle class started to do what middle class folks like to do - going on vacations. The big roads between the major cities promoted a pretty healthy tourist trade during the spring and summer, and so people would go to cities like Kyoto and Tokyo to go see the sights, take in shows featuring famous actors and entertainers, the whole shindig. So a big topic of woodblock prints are... Tourist attractions! Beautiful nature scenes and natural landmarks, as well as famous actors, athletes, geisha, and so on. They're not just getting pictured because oh, beautiful traditional Japanese culture, ancient wisdom blah blah blah. They're getting printed because people would go see a sumo match and then went a picture to bring back home of the badass sumo they saw who won! Or the hot springs that they went vacationing at!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Kana, a little tangential but have you read The Korean Pop Culture Reader? I've been thinking about writing some essays about modern approaches to art/culture and crit and I feel like I have a huge hole in East Asian approaches

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    We're now at close to 20 families we personally know who have fled or are fleeing NYC. 5 of which are heading to your town @Arch.

this is bullshit my property valueeesss

also @Quid it was the new N.K. Jemisin, "The City We Became"

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    @eddy no I haven't. Pretty much all my engagement with modern Korean pop culture has just been through like the fan communities for those things, which is interesting but definitely not a very rigorous source.

Also unfortunately even a lot of academic writing on Korea suuuucks. It's very similar to like reading about explanations of Japanese culture from during their economic boom, just replace Japan with Korea and office buildings with kpop studios.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    A. go back to your expensive-ass city you yankee dirtbags and stop gentrifying my city

B. we don't have a lot of COVID cases and our first case in asheville was from a traveler from NYC stay the fk OUT

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    A. go back to your expensive-ass city you yankee dirtbags and stop gentrifying my city

B. we don't have a lot of COVID cases and our first case in asheville was from a traveler from NYC stay the fk OUT

To late I've moved into your guest bedroom.

Trace wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »

To late I've moved into your guest bedroom.

frankly this is an upgrade since until u moved in I was in a 1 bedroom apartment

or...wait...trace...that's the bathtub!

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    21stCentury i just reread some of the earlier posts from when I was driving. What is doing a Trudeau?

it's doing that thing trudeau did.

Do you mean painting himself up in blackface, or something else?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    I'm considering buying these 5 games during the STEAM SUMMER STEAM SALE OF THE SUMMER ON STEAM.

Wandersong - Looks cute and queer
    NITE Team 4 - Realistic hacking sim? Sounds cool
    Evergarden - Looks like a cute, relaxing puzzler
    A Foretold Affair - Visual Novel with Enbies? Sign me up. Also super under-rated (As in, it have nearly no reviews)
    Recursed - Looks like a fun Puzzle Platformer with a cool hook

Anyone have strong opinion for or against any of those?

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    An hour ago i couldnt keep my eyes open now I’m wide awake

Hello chat I’m mad

This discussion has been closed.