As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New [movie] thread, same as the old one. New Bill and Ted, out soon!

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    AMC delayed reopening, I don't see Regal insisting that THEY are safe though. They'll cave.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Rowling said some really dumb shit about trans women, people rightly pushed back on it, and instead of stepping back and considering that she might have been wrong, has decided that full blown mask off transphobia should be a major defining aspect of her character.

With Graham Linehan off twitter she realized that there was an open spot for "huge transphobe that was once respected"

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Carl Reiner dying sucks.

I just watched Ocean’s 11 again the other day

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    Rowling said some really dumb shit about trans women, people rightly pushed back on it, and instead of stepping back and considering that she might have been wrong, has decided that full blown mask off transphobia should be a major defining aspect of her character.

With Graham Linehan off twitter she realized that there was an open spot for "huge transphobe that was once respected"

Wait. Has she done more stuff since the ban?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Rowling never got banned and also never shut up.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

Rowling never got banned and also never shut up.

I mean since lineham got banned.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The most recent incident was a twitter thread in which she did a bunch more terf-y shit. Stephen King retweeted one of the tweets in the thread, so she tweeted out a huge thanks for his support. Stephen King then tweeted that "trans women are women," in response to a fan who was like, "what the fuck steve," and then JK Rowling deleted her tweet thanking him for the support and unfollowed him. She's also liked a bunch of shitty tweets, which she should know people can see, as she's been yelled at for liking shitty tweets before.

Oh sorry. I got confused as I read that post as she double down or something since lineham got banned.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    You know, there's not much in the ~8000 pages of Stephen King I've read that would have made me predict he'd be super cool about trans rights in the year 2020. What's the opposite of rough chuckles? Gently surprised chortles?

You get 'em, Steve.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Jedoc wrote: »
    You know, there's not much in the ~8000 pages of Stephen King I've read that would have made me predict he'd be super cool about trans rights in the year 2020. What's the opposite of rough chuckles? Gently surprised chortles?

You get 'em, Steve.

In Insomnia, King fumblingly gets close to a morally correct position on abortion rights. In Elevation, he stumbles in a similar fashion towards pro lesbian sentiment. And It lists homophobia and racism as pure evil, equal to child murder. So he's always GENERALLY been pointed towards human rights, he just makes MANY mistakes in how he writes about non-white men.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The Scary Clown Novel does have Pennywise killing a gay man as the first sign of his return in the 80s as well. It seemed to me when I read it (which was many years ago) that the narrative seemed fairly sympathetic towards the man.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I would say that Stephen King's heart is generally in the right place, but he is very much an old rich liberal that hasn't really examined racism much beyond, "it's bad to be racist."

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    from his frequent appearances on r/menwritingwomen, I gather that he gets a little bit too much into describing women/underage girls and their body parts as well

KalTorak on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    geralds game is an awkward but well meaning book about a woman grappling with a history of abusive and domineering men and finally coming to terms

it is also very Berserk, with the movie being even moreso

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    well now I gotta dig out that Vulture article, because I need to know ... why

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Speaking of Gerald's Game, wasn't the movie supposed to be pretty good?

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    tynic wrote: »
    well now I gotta dig out that Vulture article, because I need to know ... why

I found it and it didn't really clear anything up. I think he just had a real big crush on Sandra Bullock. Which, sure!

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    When I'm 90 I'm absolutely gonna start doing a bit where I pretend to just fuckin' love Kangaroo Jack or something

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    it looks like Grave of the Fireflies is not one of the ones they added so I'm safe there for now

Put it this way, Schindler's List is a palate cleanser
    Veldrin wrote: »

I assumed the movie would be exploitative schlock, and so stopped paying attention.

I also kept confusing it with the shitty celebrity poker movie where Michael Cera plays James Franco or whatever.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Someone from the Nolan crew has attempted to respond to the chair thing. They are saying he won’t allow those director chairs that producers and the like are supposed to get to show importance. I went and looked up Hathaways words which started this whole thing and... that is obviously not what she was saying? There is no possible way to interpret what she was saying to mean what the Nolan crew says it means. They seem to be banking on very few people having actually heard the original statement? It’s really very insulting.

Quire.jpg
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I am not going to say I look forward to Unhinged but I am somewhat titillated by the idea of Russel Crowe screaming his head off like a big idiot in a terrible shit awful movie

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Man, maybe I should watch the Net

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I can't imagine it's aged well, since it wasn't that great to begin with.

sig.gif
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

I liked the Gerald's Game film, but feel like that could have easily changed if someone else had been directing instead of Mike Flanagan

Between Doctor Sleep and Gerald's Game, I really feel like Flanagan knows how to do Stephen King films while showing more appreciation for the concepts than King was ever able to do

edited July 2020
    Stephen King novels are often outshone by their adaptations, the Silver Bullet movie has Gary Busey being utterly deranged and making Cory Haim visibly uncomfortable that aint in the book

A better example is The Outsider which in the book has a Latinx character who goes ay caramba or some shit every other sentence, for some reason that same character doesnt do that in the show!

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I can't imagine it's aged well, since it wasn't that great to begin with.

It has that odd charm of a movie trying to understand and dramatize computers in a time when neither the moviemakers nor the movie viewers understood computers. Like Hackers.

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Why is there no Dune trailer yet

turn on the hype machine damnit

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Why is there no Dune trailer yet

turn on the hype machine damnit

They're still working on the box of pain.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I would guess they don't want to start building hype until they're dead sure about release date.

Or it's going to be the same as Blade Runner 2049 where it gets almost no marketing and the marketing it does get has fuckall to do with the film's actual plot.

yeah it was pretty solid

spoilers ahoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCdJo5-2Tns&t=2s

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    The fuck is that screen cap there.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    Its the ending explainer

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    i do not think i had a read on what gerald's game was at all

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I pretty much exclusively know it as one of the leading causes for dictionary lookups of degloving

Straightzi on
    I'm not joking when I say there is some Berserk shit going on

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Were I Gerald, I would simply play Connect Four

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I pretty much exclusively know it as one of the leading causes for dictionary lookups of degloving

I wasn't sure if I read the story before, now that you mention this I sure do.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I just looked up the plot of Gerald's Game again and it is a lot dumber than I remembered

This discussion has been closed.