As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Let’s Do The Lockdown Again

• PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Though a couple of people I know were surprised/annoyed to learn they'll need a passport to go on holiday to Spain...
    (they voted leave too, sadly)

• Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Seeing that thread and remembering the hours of conversations 2018-2019 with tearful grandparents as they sold the house they loved in France (had residency, but my granddads mental state is such he really needs an English speaking health service and going back and forth would be untenable) to move in with family back in the UK gives me a weird feeling - simultaneous sympathy and disdain.

At least they're realising with 6 months to go, there will be some clowns not paying attention right up to Dec 31st.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Though a couple of people I know were surprised/annoyed to learn they'll need a passport to go on holiday to Spain...

And I assume they’ll have to pay a fee to get in, for a visitors visa, at the border.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    My driving instructor - mayherestinpeace - imparted these words of wisdom to me. "It's not your driving you have to worry about. It's everyone else's."

Transposing this adage, I've basically not relaxed my own vigilance.

My vigilance is in a strange place right now. It has been significantly relaxed due to necessity.

I've posted this in a couple of threads I frequent, but it may have passed many of you by... excuse the copy/paste but I really don't feel like typing this all out again.

Originally posted in G&T Steam thread on the 27th:
    My mum, who some of you may recall was diagnosed with cancer at the start of the year, has taken a huge downturn in her health. She's still at home, with me as the primary carer, but with hospice carers in multiple times a day; and as of last night, an overnight carer a couple of times a week too so I can at least try to get some sleep. (We're at the point where it's serious enough that the pandemic is just a risk we have to take.) Despite being on morphine, now switched to oxycodone, she's still in a lot of pain, but the doctors and nurses don't actually know if it's the cancer or something else; we're awaiting an appointment for a scan to try and find out.

But the short version is, as painful as it is to type, she's most likely dying. And I'm watching it happen in real time; and despite immensely powerful medication, and a team of truly amazing medical professionals who I can't praise enough, can't even keep her out of pain.

Update posted yesterday:
    Her pain is being managed a bit better now, I think. Still not ideal, but better. I doubt the scan will go ahead, it seems almost academic at this point. It's just a case of keeping her as comfortable as possible... and a case of when now.

Vaguely on-topic vigilance relaxing notes:
    Medical professionals of varying kinds are in and out of the house at all hours. Carers, hospice carers, district nurses, the Macmillan nurse. Every couple of hours there's a couple of people here during the day. They are all using basic medical PPE: masks, usually gloves, aprons, hand washing & sanitizer. (Overnight carers are using less due to being here nine hours straight on the too-few nights they're here.) But given the dire situation, the Macmillan nurse (who is basically running the whole show) said to let a few very close and trusted friends come over. One came over yesterday, and did wear a mask and distanced as much as possible in our small house. Two more today, one who had been extremely vigilant about isolating, and one who has seen more people but at distance as far as I'm aware (but cannot wear a mask due to COPD), but they were so shocked by how poorly mum is now that they did come close, hold her hand and sit close by her. Any risk they also posed each other went out the window too.

And frankly, I had no problem with it. As I said in the earlier quote, this pandemic has just become a risk we have to take. And that's not just me, that's the unanimous opinion of our medical professionals too. Had this happened a couple of months ago, I have no doubt they'd have said differently. I know we should have been better with masks and distance today, but... just aaargh. I admit emotion took over.

I honestly do not know if, and even more honestly doubt, if my mum has another two weeks. Covid be fucking damned.

Jazz on
  • PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    So sorry to hear what you are going through @Jazz
    : ( Hang in there!

"M-Vickers wrote: »
    And I assume they’ll have to pay a fee to get in, for a visitors visa, at the border.

Will they really?
    Huh.
    As an EU citizen living in the UK... I just wish none of this was happening : (

• OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Double post, quote is not edit. :/

OldSlacker on
  • OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    M-Vickers wrote: »

If it's the same as it is for everyone else who needs a visa to visit somewhere, I hope they would get theirs sorted before just showing up at the border because I think they would just get turned around instead of having one issued on the spot.

OldSlacker on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Dis' wrote: »
    Seeing that thread and remembering the hours of conversations 2018-2019 with tearful grandparents as they sold the house they loved in France (had residency, but my granddads mental state is such he really needs an English speaking health service and going back and forth would be untenable) to move in with family back in the UK gives me a weird feeling - simultaneous sympathy and disdain.

At least they're realising with 6 months to go, there will be some clowns not paying attention right up to Dec 31st.

And then again twelve months after that, after those people manage to sell their French or Spanish properties but fail to declare to HMRC that they are liable for tax self assessment as a consequence of earnings abroad

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/uk-politics/2299679/exclusive-unpublished-devolution-review-recommends-major-whitehall-shakeup/

This is adding to my impression that Johnson just says things that he thinks sounds good and has no interest in actually following them through

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    There's some evidence that Boris isn't capable of hearing or remembering anything that isn't alliterative.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Further personal situation vigilance update, spoiler'd to avoid derailing the thread:
    My dad lives elsewhere in the country, some distance away. He's coming here tomorrow for a few days to support me. I have no way of putting him up, and hotels are all closed. So he's bringing his caravan. He may even end up parking the thing right outside. To clarify, we live in a cul-de-sac with terraced houses on three sides of an almost-square with awkward parking and a green out the front. The caravan may go on the green, or between my car and my next-door neighbour's, where my mum's car is now.

I've spoken to all my neighbours who would have it near their place. They are all absolutely okay with it, no ifs, ands or buts. They know the seriousness of the situation.

And we're not in Cumgate territory these days, at least. Plus my dad has also been isolating with my stepmum - the risk factor does seem to be minimal all told.

Jazz on
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Honest question: Come the 4th, what's everyone's haircut strategy

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Blue passports though.

Well, blueish

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »

76cwtaw9j0ff.jpeg

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    And probably that happy about it, too.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I forgot that Ringo looked like someone stole his ice cream until his 60s.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

You'll probably struggle for an appointment, I'd have thought.

Still, you'll want to avoid the first couple of weeks so the rush dies down and the hairdressers sort out their processes

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Well, it's been less than six months since my last haircut, so I've got time for everything to die down

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular

Wait until August. It's going to be well difficult in July to get into the barbers.

• Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Saturday is going to be a fucking disaster - like every Bank Holiday rolled into one, with the media coverage to match.

Going to hunker down and stay indoors because I do not trust the GBP.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    Saturday is going to be a fucking disaster - like every Bank Holiday rolled into one, with the media coverage to match.

It's going to be absolute carnage.

I'm getting drunk at home instead.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I'm getting drunk in a little out of the way park with a nice girl wearing a sun dress, is my plan

• dylmandylman Registered User regular
    The deadline has passed to extend the transition period. We either sign whatever deal the EU puts in front of us or we're fucked in January.

Happy July everyone.

• Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I'm getting drunk in a little out of the way park with a nice girl wearing a sun dress, is my plan

Glad to hear you've already got your outfit picked out. Women like a man who plans ahead.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Glad to hear you've already got your outfit picked out. Women like a man who plans ahead.

Shaved my legs and everything

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I've got to travel into London by train on Friday. Hoping the fact that it's the day before the Great Reopening means it will be really quiet

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    I've got to travel into London by train on Friday. Hoping the fact that it's the day before the Great Reopening means it will be really quiet

It's the getting back I think you'd need a plan for, as it's going to be friday before the bank holiday traffic going out. Either try and escape before 3pm or find somewhere to wait it out until 7-8ish.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Once again I thank my good fortune that I was unable to move house before Lockdown

I get to shelter from The Reopening in a quiet suburb with only one pub nearby, as opposed to in a city centre flat

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »

It's the getting back I think you'd need a plan for, as it's going to be friday before the bank holiday traffic going out. Either try and escape before 3pm or find somewhere to wait it out until 7-8ish.

It'll be evening when I leave, and I'll be getting a taxi back home

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    dylman wrote: »
    The deadline has passed to extend the transition period. We either sign whatever deal the EU puts in front of us or we're fucked in January.

Happy July everyone.
    I'm wondering when we request an extension to the deadline to request an extension (which we obviously won't request under any circumstances).
    And when we get refused, it's all Brussels' fault. We should go over and demand to speak to the mayor and get this sorted out.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    dylman wrote: »

Happy July everyone.
    I'm wondering when we request an extension to the deadline to request an extension (which we obviously won't request under any circumstances).
    And when we get refused, it's all Brussels' fault. We should go over and demand to speak to the mayor and get this sorted out.

"Look, we're England, do you understand? England."

I don't think it would ever occur to me to ask a mayor to do anything, like is that even a real position, it feels like just something out of old films

• AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular

As a south-londoner, everything feels like lockdown is over. ~20% of people on public transport are actually wearing masks. Was on the tram the other day and two mothers came in with 5 young kids between them, no masks, no distancing.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    I don't think it would ever occur to me to ask a mayor to do anything, like is that even a real position, it feels like just something out of old films

Asking the Mayor to do stuff is a small town thing. It happens because part of the bureaucracy is just not present or (seldom) needed. So you talk to the Mayor about things, and they (ask their secretary) to bring the paperwork in order. For instance, in the town I grew up with, there was no official way to ask for a handicapped parking spot to be constructed. So, the Mayors office took on this request.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    If you are stupid as shit and think everywhere but where you live is a tin pot country with no laws that can't be swerved by bribery or a solid handshake going to the nearest available figure of authority and telling them to fix it is bang on trend.

• altidaltid Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    If you are stupid as shit and think everywhere but where you live is a tin pot country with no laws that can't be swerved by bribery or a solid handshake going to the nearest available figure of authority and telling them to fix it is bang on trend.

This is literally the way the tories run things though. See: Jenrick.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

Ireland re-opened them on Monday and I was able to get an appointment for today. It seems like there was a MAD rush at midnight on Monday but things are relatively calm now, no ridiculous queues or anything.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm booked in on the 10th. My usual picked up where the lockdown left off and started booking people in the order they would have gotten a haircut when the shutters came down.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

As a south-londoner, everything feels like lockdown is over. ~20% of people on public transport are actually wearing masks. Was on the tram the other day and two mothers came in with 5 young kids between them, no masks, no distancing.

This weekend is 100% going to be a shitshow, the pubs reopening is the unofficial signal that the pandemic is over.

Let's just ignore that it very much isn't.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

I read that twitter thread early yesterday evening and haven't stopped being mad yet. I can't even feel schadenfreude over it, just bone deep world weariness and boiling frustration.

This discussion has been closed.