As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Child appropriate free PC games

BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
edited June 2020 in Help / Advice Forum
I am wrapping up a new pc build for a friend who has 8 and 10 year old boys. They love minecraft, spore, and subnautica, and mom is working on getting the latter two of those right now (they've played them on xbox previously). I was going to try and load up some of the free stuff on steam (or elsewhere!) but I really have no idea what's child appropriate for their age range, and I was hoping some of you gamer parents could weigh in on suggestions? If not free, stuff that's super cheap?

96058.png?1619393207
Bullhead on

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Swing by the Steam Thread in G&T and we may be able to help you out there! - https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/236073/steam-summer-sale-june-25-july-9/p61

But as an uncle to an 8-year-old, I can say that she's really been into Roblox lately- of course, we've locked it down as much as we absolutely can- no chatting, no friends, as walled garden as we can get it for her.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Planet Explorers on Steam. They broke multiplayer after the game was released and are uncommitted to fixing it. Because of that the games rating have tanked.
    BUT single player is still fully functional and they made it FREE TO PLAY.

Alien dinosaurs and robots on a colorful planet. Craft and build, a bit similar to minecraft.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/237870/Planet_Explorers/

Siska on
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    LEGO games. All great and while some build on say Batman or Star Wars they are certainly also kid games and since they are already gaming they will not be too hard.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I know you want free, but GOG has a pack of The Incredible Machine games for $2.50 which is a steal.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I know you want free, but GOG has a pack of The Incredible Machine games for $2.50 which is a steal.

This is close enough to free to be free :P

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Not saying all kids are into creating, but you might want to try out some free game creation programs.

There's Mega Man Maker that has online cooperative level building with password protection and a beginner friendly interface (tile-based, only requires mouse).
    https://megamanmaker.com/

There's others, too, but I would start them with this to see if they enjoy creating. If so, feel free to hit me up over DM. I work for a company that provides group (online now, of course) classes for kids 8 - 12 teaching them how to make their own games, so I can give you the info or some links to other similar software.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Torin's Passage would be a good old game for kids. King's Quest games would be good.

Lucasarts games would be good.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    LeptonLepton Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

This is close enough to free to be free :P

I second The Incredible Machine games. Those are great for kids.