As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Identify this tree

mtsmts Dr. Robot KingRegistered User regular
edited June 2020 in Help / Advice Forum
Anyone have any idea what kind of tree this is. It gets white flowers

Thinking it is a wild black cherry but unsure

3V8io99.jpg

kcaDOTI.jpg
nBTwRLn.jpg
tKoDtXW.jpg

camo_sig.png
mts on

• DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    Not sure on the tree unfortunately. That third picture though just looks like a grapevine.

I've used the Seek app on android to identify stuff before and it works reasonably well.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.inaturalist.seek&hl=en_US

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I use iNaturalist for this kind of thing.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Oh woops that isn't the tree. That was something else I was curious.was concerned it was poison ivy

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I don't remember enough of my botany to give you terms for the bark

But you want to search for whatever city/state you live in and serrated alternative leaves

A picture of the flower would make it much, I much easier to ID, or what the fruit looks like. Also, yeah, what region you are in.

Edit: Googling images of wild cherry leafs, they don't look like a strong match to me. Most of what I'm seeing the veins in the leaf don't branch, and what you took pictures of have many branching veins. Choke cherry is also possible?

Burtletoy on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Google Lens will tell you with reasonable accuracy

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I don't remember enough of my botany to give you terms for the bark

But you want to search for whatever city/state you live in and serrated alternative leaves

A picture of the flower would make it much, I much easier to ID, or what the fruit looks like. Also, yeah, what region you are in.

Edit: Googling images of wild cherry leafs, they don't look like a strong match to me. Most of what I'm seeing the veins in the leaf don't branch, and what you took pictures of have many branching veins. Choke cherry is also possible?

Yeah the banding/pores on the tree itself looks like cherry, but the leafs look like something else.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I have some ideas, but I could narrow it down better if you could tell me:

Is this the US?

Is this in the eastern or western half of the US?

What is the type or name of the tree?

(Third question is a joke. But if you DO know the name of the tree, that will definitely help me identify the tree. As long as the name of the tree isn't "Bob".)

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I have some ideas, but I could narrow it down better if you could tell me:
    Is this the US?
    Is this in the eastern or western half of the US?
    What is the type or name of the tree?
    (Third question is a joke. But if you DO know the name of the tree, that will definitely help me identify the tree. As long as the name of the tree isn't "Bob".)

We are in luck then, I know this tree, and it goes by Ricardo.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Kinda looks like it could be a grapevine?

xacmz8zwpomy.png
    il_794xN.1878649620_hxvm.jpg

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    The grape is a grape, the cherry is some kind of cherry/prunus. Hard to tell from those pictures.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm not sure those pictures go together.

One of the leaf, one of the bark and one from a decent distance that shows most of the tree would help a lot.

• AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    My time to shine! 1/2 are cherry (probably not eating cherry), 3 is a grape.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.