As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Voters Rights and the Suppression Thereof

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Just an update since we were talking about it in the thread: Booker took a decent sized lead when Louisville came in, but McGrath has been steadily narrowing it all morning and is about to pull ahead. She almost definitely won that primary based on the strength of the early vote.

News agencies are callibg it for McGrath. Here's a NPR piece.

I don't think the results are terribly surprising (other than Booker getting so close to winning), but I don't think it bodes well for displacing McConnell. Granted I know nothing about KY politics.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Just an update since we were talking about it in the thread: Booker took a decent sized lead when Louisville came in, but McGrath has been steadily narrowing it all morning and is about to pull ahead. She almost definitely won that primary based on the strength of the early vote.

News agencies are callibg it for McGrath. Here's a NPR piece.

I don't think the results are terribly surprising (other than Booker getting so close to winning), but I don't think it bodes well for displacing McConnell. Granted I know nothing about KY politics.

Booker has 39 points of favorability on her. Sure he has 38 points "unsure" but even if they all break bad it'd still leave him a point up.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I'm pretty bummed out about it tbh. I didn't think Booker would beat McConnell (he's too far left, I think, wants UBI etc), but I figured he had a better chance than Amy McGrath, and at least might make it close enough for Democrats to take a second look at how they operate here. It doesn't sound like McGrath learned anything from this, which is extra unfortunate. This is the woman who, shortly after declaring she would be running for the Senate (with the full backing of Chuck Schumer and the Democratic Party), said she would have voted to confirm Kavanaugh, then a few hours later tweeted out that she wouldn't have, 'upon further reflection and further understanding of his record'. Which, this was after he had already been confirmed, so I'm not sure what additional understanding of his record she needed.

The problem with the Democrats that keep running against Mitch here is that they're all play-it-safe, wishy-washy candidates. The last candidate, Allison Grimes, refused to answer when asked if she voted for Obama or Romney. The Democratic candidate for the Senate said that. And Mitch just eats them alive. I don't think McGrath stands a chance in hell of beating McConnell, even with the record amount of money she's raised. I sure hope I'm wrong, and lord knows anything can happen in this year of all years, but I'll be surprised if it's even close.

vRyue2p.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Wasn"t McGrath within a point of McConnel in recent polls?

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

Maybe! I don't pay much attention to polls this far out, to be honest, so I wouldn't know. I'm more going off of history here, namely Mitch's ability to campaign really well, especially against weak candidates. If she can keep it close all the way into even October I might change my tune a bit; I'd be pretty impressed by that.

The one silver lining here is that Mitch McConnell is one of the least popular senators in the country. A 37/50 Approval/Disapproval is pretty dismal. And this has been true for years and years.

Which honestly just makes it all the more frustrating when he still wins by 15 points.

vRyue2p.png
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

McConnell’s opponents always seem to have a chance. Pretty much every Senate Majority Leader polls bad but wins anyway (except Daschle).

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

McConnell’s opponents always seem to have a chance. Pretty much every Senate Majority Leader polls bad but wins anyway (except Daschle).

She has had multiple polls of close single-digits, including one in June with her up by a point.

The most recent poll has Booker doing better than her, but both down by double digits.

A weird part of my head thinks she matches against McConnell better than Booker does, but Booker matches against Rand better than she does for 2022, but that's based off absolutely nothing.

None of this is relevant to voter rights, though.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    One thing out of the KY race that stands out as something to look into. It isn't voter fraud because outside of typical republican bullshit to depress the vote, there really wasn't anything that McGrath or establishment democrats did give themselves an advantage over Booker. There was point in the count where two news outlets had different numbers for the vote count because they source their info from different groups. Of course, the paranoid immediately screamed voter fraud. So there really needs to be a setup that standardizes things so that either news outlets reporting at the same time are reporting the same numbers or people can quickly verify that the reason they both have different numbers despite reporting at the same time, is a result of one using an older vote tally and it should be easily verified. I think it's safe to say really dishonest people like Trump will jump on such things to claim voter fraud, knowing damn well that it's not a thing.

Anyways, cant' really say I'm surprised that McGrath won. Even if Booker had better favorable, the election always comes to turnout and my hunch is that Booker was probably drawing mostly from demographic groups where the turnout isn't as good. Also have to ask, does KY do a closed or open primary. If the primary was open, even though you don't get nearly as many from the party as people like to believe, you're still getting some and that can matter in a close race.

Mill wrote: »
    One thing out of the KY race that stands out as something to look into. It isn't voter fraud because outside of typical republican bullshit to depress the vote, there really wasn't anything that McGrath or establishment democrats did give themselves an advantage over Booker. There was point in the count where two news outlets had different numbers for the vote count because they source their info from different groups. Of course, the paranoid immediately screamed voter fraud. So there really needs to be a setup that standardizes things so that either news outlets reporting at the same time are reporting the same numbers or people can quickly verify that the reason they both have different numbers despite reporting at the same time, is a result of one using an older vote tally and it should be easily verified. I think it's safe to say really dishonest people like Trump will jump on such things to claim voter fraud, knowing damn well that it's not a thing.

Anyways, cant' really say I'm surprised that McGrath won. Even if Booker had better favorable, the election always comes to turnout and my hunch is that Booker was probably drawing mostly from demographic groups where the turnout isn't as good. Also have to ask, does KY do a closed or open primary. If the primary was open, even though you don't get nearly as many from the party as people like to believe, you're still getting some and that can matter in a close race.

Kentucky primaries are closed.

I think the other thing is that Booker rose to prominence as a potential challenger for McGrath due to his response to the protests (and her lack of one until pushed to respond, at which point she released a statement about the death of George Floyd and somehow completely forgot to mention Breonna Taylor despite the fact that, you know, she was killed in the state McGrath is running in), but the effects of that on people's votes probably didn't happen until a week or two before the mail-in deadline. Anybody who voted before that almost certainly voted for McGrath.

vRyue2p.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »

Kentucky primaries are closed.

I think the other thing is that Booker rose to prominence as a potential challenger for McGrath due to his response to the protests (and her lack of one until pushed to respond, at which point she released a statement about the death of George Floyd and somehow completely forgot to mention Breonna Taylor despite the fact that, you know, she was killed in the state McGrath is running in), but the effects of that on people's votes probably didn't happen until a week or two before the mail-in deadline. Anybody who voted before that almost certainly voted for McGrath.

This is one of the problems/"problems" with early voting. Politicians not trying to suppress the vote generally like it because it locks voters in and lets you focus your resources elsewhere. But it also means the public is less able to respond to late developments in a race. Basically all depends on how you feel about that situation.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    https://www.channel3000.com/far-far-from-being-fair-appeals-court-ruling-will-shorten-in-person-absentee-voting-in-madison/
    An appeals court decision on Monday that was years in the making will shorten early voting in Madison this fall.

Among other changes, the 7th Circuit ruling cuts the length of the in-person absentee voting window in the city from six weeks to two weeks.
    “We will do everything we can to follow the law and offer equitable access to casting a ballot, but this ruling makes it much more difficult to do so,” said Maribeth Witzel-Behl, the city clerk in Madison.

State Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald praised the decision, calling it a win for fair elections.

“The ruling puts municipalities in every corner of Wisconsin closer to equal footing when it comes to early in-person voting,” Fitzgerald said in a statement.

Witzel-Behl disagreed.

“They can argue that it’s uniform, but it is far, far from being fair, and it’s far from being equitable,” she said.

The decision overturns a previous lower court ruling that argued the restrictions on in-person absentee voting unfairly affected African Americans in Milwaukee, but the circuit court judge said Republicans were looking at politics, not race, with the restrictions.

Yes, lets further restrict voting during a Pandemic.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I mean do we need to plaster the cartoon of the two kids on boxes explaining equality vs equity to these assholes foreheads?

Prohass on
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Prohass wrote: »
    I mean do we need to plaster the cartoon of the two kids on boxes explaining equality vs equity to these assholes foreheads?

For most of these people - especially pustulent hemroids like Robin Vos and Scott Fitzgerald - this isn't an issue on ignorance. They are willfully bad people. Their voters are willfully bad people. We don't need to teach them, we need to secure power and use it to relegate them to obscurity.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Is there a better thread for this? If so, feel free to copypasta there.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/30/politics/senate-removes-ban-foreign-election-help/index.html
    "Senate strips provision from intelligence bill requiring campaigns to report foreign election help"

Yeah, you read that properly. The Senate are attempting to push through a bill that removes a requirement that campaigns report Russian China Ukraine Saudi Arabian foreign election help.

I mean, how fucking blatant do you have to be? This is basically screaming that "Yeah, we know he did it in 2016, we know he's GOING to do it in 2020, and we want to make it legal this time."

Just... fucking come on. Have SOME pretense at integrity. The corruption and subjugation of the Republican Party is complete.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Sigh.

Politico reporter

JUST IN: 11th circuit grants rare initial en banc hearing in case over Florida voting rights for felons. Also stays district court order that could have restored rights to hundreds of thousands of convicts.

The Florida poll tax on ex-felons is re-instated and will be in place through the election.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Remind me again where the amendment in question even had a clause saying the legislature got any say whatsoever in this?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Goddamn it Florida.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Sigh.

Politico reporter

JUST IN: 11th circuit grants rare initial en banc hearing in case over Florida voting rights for felons. Also stays district court order that could have restored rights to hundreds of thousands of convicts.

The Florida poll tax on ex-felons is re-instated and will be in place through the election.

What the fuck!

In case you wondered if it could get worse? It can.

Here's the order. Judge Rosenbaum (an Obama appointee) is recused, and it appears that Judge Andrew Brasher (who took office yesterday) didn't participate in the en banc poll. I'm not sure if he's recused from the case entirely, though.

It appears that Judge Ed Carnes did not participate in the poll, so he will not sit on the en banc court for this case. Depending on whether or not Brasher is recused, the court will have either a 7-4 or 6-4 majority of Republican appointees hearing this case.

That majority is almost all Trump appointees, so the Florida poll tax is all but certain to not just have the stay remain in place, but be approved by the 11th circuit.

ztrEPtD.gif
    Sigh.

Politico reporter

1 year, 11 hours ago.
    Morgan V wrote:
    The problem is, that that's clearly not the case. The rights weren't restored. The legislature did limit the effect retroactively, and decree some people's right be removed by fiat. And signed by the Governor.

I absolutely agree it SHOULD have. But it didn't. And I honestly don't expect the challenge to prove out. Not with the current Supreme Court. And even if it IS overturned, I would be my house that the legal process, and then the implementation of restoration, would put 2020 out of reach.

That's the Republican playbook. They don't need to win. They just need to delay long enough that they pass the deadline they need to hit. The very first judge to rule on rejecting this shit, needs to put an order in place that says that the Florida electoral body needs to prepare to implement re-enfranchisement for every person affected, while their appeal is being handled. They should NOT be allowed to run out the clock. There's no way that they can't get it set up so that it can't be implemented in a day, and it should be an automatic exception to any filing deadlines (not sure what Florida's registration lead time is, but there shouldn't be "Voters have to register by September 17th, it's now September 20th, too late for them to register.")

I mean, granted, it wasn't a huge fucking stretch on my part. But it's still fucking disheartening to see.

In case you wondered if it could get worse? It can.

Here's the order. Judge Rosenbaum (an Obama appointee) is recused, and it appears that Judge Andrew Brasher (who took office yesterday) didn't participate in the en banc poll. I'm not sure if he's recused from the case entirely, though.

It appears that Judge Ed Carnes did not participate in the poll, so he will not sit on the en banc court for this case. Depending on whether or not Brasher is recused, the court will have either a 7-4 or 6-4 majority of Republican appointees hearing this case.

That majority is almost all Trump appointees, so the Florida poll tax is all but certain to not just have the stay remain in place, but be approved by the 11th circuit.

And this is why McConnell has held his nose and supported Trump.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    McConnell hasn't held his fucking nose. Dude is a Confederate.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    They could challenge the stay itself at SCOTUS, but... haha that's going nowhere because the courts have been getting packed by the GOP top to bottom.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Why I Love My Fucking Home State, I'm Sorry, I Didn't Vote For This Goose Edition:

At anti-D.C. statehood press conference, Senator Steve Daines (R-Mt.) urges lawmakers to "go out to where the real people are at across the country and ask them where they think."

The author is a reporter for the Washington Post.

Remember, "real people" = "white people".

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    well thats florida firmly back red again

fucking hell

• monikermoniker Registered User regular

fucking hell

Not necessarily. The margin in 2016 was 1.2%/ 113k votes. Seeing how COVID-19 is being handled there right now, it's definitely in play. Current polling has Biden with a literal majority, not just a plurality. Even with the shenanigans of keeping re-enfranchised felons away from the polls.

moniker wrote: »

fucking hell

Not necessarily. The margin in 2016 was 1.2%/ 113k votes. Seeing how COVID-19 is being handled there right now, it's definitely in play. Current polling has Biden with a literal majority, not just a plurality. Even with the shenanigans of keeping re-enfranchised felons away from the polls.

Also, depending on how it's handled, it could be an electoral message. Amendment 4 passed by an almost a 2:1 margin by the electorate (64.55% to 35.45%). Point out the bullshit, that the Republicans are defying the will of you, Floridians, because they are desperately clinging to power, and trying to sway an election.

Make it about democracy and patriotism. That these fuckers are simply not respecting the will of the voters.

May not work, but got to believe some of the ~1/6 of the population that typically vote Republican, but voted for this Amendment, might be swayed. And like you said, there's not a fucking lot of movement needed to sway things.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    They could challenge the stay itself at SCOTUS, but... haha that's going nowhere because the courts have been getting packed by the GOP top to bottom.

It could actually go somewhere with SCOTUS if it's argued that the 11th broke precedent by even taking the case regarding state laws/constitution and how elections are run. Roberts just firmly asserted that precedent is greater than all, afterall.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's likely to be heard by SCOTUS, but it isn't an impossibility either.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Roberts wrote the majority opinion of Shelby County v. Holder he is not on the side of voting rights.

steam_sig.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    https://hattiesburgamerican.com/amp/3280055001
    A social media comment with racial undertones made by a Mississippi election commissioner sparked outrage across the state on the same weekend state legislators voted to retire the flag and its Confederate emblem.

"I'm concerned about voter registration in Mississippi," the commissioner wrote. "The blacks are having lots (of) events for voter registration. People in Mississippi have to get involved, too."

Gail Welch's comment caused an uproar Sunday, as screen shots of the comment spread quickly on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Welch said she has received calls and messages from all over the country about the post.
    But Welch, who has been the Beat 1 commissioner for 20 years, said although the comment may appear racist, her intent was far from it.

"We've always in the past had whites really participating in registering to vote. So many people don't seem to be concerned about (voting)."

She said in an interview Monday that she thought she was sending a private message, but the comment was shared publicly on Facebook.
    "I was just trying to strike a match under people and get them to vote — to get everybody to vote," she said. "This was not intended to be anything."
    Those are not racial undertones. It is just racism.

Couscous on
    edited July 2020
    SCOTUS reporter for the Economist.

BREAKING: Supreme Court votes 5-4 to grant Alabama's request to temporarily block COVID-related election accommodations

Fan fucking tastic.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    A social media comment with racial undertones made by a Mississippi election commissioner sparked outrage across the state on the same weekend state legislators voted to retire the flag and its Confederate emblem.

"I'm concerned about voter registration in Mississippi," the commissioner wrote. "The blacks are having lots (of) events for voter registration. People in Mississippi have to get involved, too."

Gail Welch's comment caused an uproar Sunday, as screen shots of the comment spread quickly on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Welch said she has received calls and messages from all over the country about the post.
    But Welch, who has been the Beat 1 commissioner for 20 years, said although the comment may appear racist, her intent was far from it.

"We've always in the past had whites really participating in registering to vote. So many people don't seem to be concerned about (voting)."

She said in an interview Monday that she thought she was sending a private message, but the comment was shared publicly on Facebook.
    "I was just trying to strike a match under people and get them to vote — to get everybody to vote," she said. "This was not intended to be anything."

Even in her non-apology she can't bring herself to refer to Black people as people.

All you need to do to absentee vote in Alabama is submit a photocopy of your photo ID with your absentee ballot *and* either get 2 witness signatures or have your ballot notarized

Easy pe-nope, can't do the but all the way through.

The Supreme Court believes expanding voting rights close to an election will confuse voters. So decisions blocking voter suppression laws burden voting rights but decisions reversing lower court decisions expanding them do not cause confusion

We wouldn't want to confuse them into thinking they can vote.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

"How do I open this PDF?" is pretty much the only way we're getting confirmation of any of this bullshit.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Political reporter

I'm having trouble understanding what's going on here to be honest. It sounds like Iowa's (GOP) secretary of state sent every registered voter an absentee request form in the primary due to Covid. That made turnout go waaaay up, unsurprisingly. The rest of the GOP government are pissed off about that, and have vowed to pass some legislature preventing him from doing that in the general, and have already voted down doing using Covid money to convert to (mostly) vote by mail.

Except that they haven't done that yet, and today was the first day that voters are allowed to request absentee ballots, so what appears to be happening is that counties headed by Democratic officials are currently engaged in big drives to get (still legal) absentee requests and shit out, while Republican controlled counties are siding with the Republican Iowa congress and saying "No, nobody gets absentee ballots because eventually we're going to say no more absentee ballots."

So we have Republicans throwing a fit about turnout and suppressing Republican votes.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    The issue the GOP is running into, is that their dipshit standard bearer has politicized absentee voting and essentially started turning their base against it. So they are now in the ludicrous position where they can't take advantage of the whole covid pandemic and mail out absentee ballot requests because that would be going against Trump. Ironically, the GOP might have just set themselves up to finally get fucked by voter suppression on a form of voting that they used to take advantage of and that has greatly helped them. Also given how they've politicized masks, this means the GOP is potentially looking at much of their base, that is most at risk of dying to covid, showing up in person at the polls. Along with every other die hard republican base voter and very few of them will both with masks. Plus, you'll probably get republican voters that are afraid of catching covid and now that it's shameful to vote absentee or in the case of some republican strongholds, you can't cite covid risks as an excuse to vote absentee, so they'll just stay home.

I'm curious as to how much effort the GOP has put forth into polling infrastructure in their stronghold areas. I have to wonder if some of those are going to get absolutely fucking terrible wait times because the republicans for the Republican Party of Trump, assumed that they would get a certain percent of voters voting absentee and that number may well be way down.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    yeah man, old people love doing shit early and by mail, this is a really dumb strategy

This discussion has been closed.