As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moment of the Week 1/23/08 - in which I have naughty thoughts about Ed Brubaker

CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Graphic Violence
So, yeah. I couldn't wait any longer for someone else to make this thread.

Anyway, I picked up my copy of Young Avengers Presents #1, and the whole damn thing is my moment of the week. There were two and a half points where I wanted to cry. But my favorite was the end:
Wherein as Bucky and Patriot discuss patriotism, Steve and the original Patriot Brubaker (through Bucky) calls out Sally Floyd for her insufferable MySpace comment to Cap as HER being the one who was out of touch with America.

Truly a great issue.

Crimsondude on

• KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This was the MotW:

ednotexr3.jpg

And more serious, from X-Men
    1201119826956ht0.jpg

No More X-Men. That'll last a week.

1201121148679wv7.jpg

Emma & Dust FTW

There was a Wolverine moment with the Predator X, getting eaten and then ripping it apart from the inside. Pixie and her Soul Blade was wicked. Marauder (forget which one) is dissing the children asking if she brought her backpack and stuff and then she whips out the blade and stabs her through the chest, killing her. Entire issue was a moment.

KVW on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Damn.

I need to get the rest of Messiah Complex. So much money, though. D:

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Astonishing was good as always but nothing MotW. YA was awesome as I thought it would be. I haven't read the rest of my book yet (stupid work) but I think I'm going to have to go with
    Hawkeye (Kate) popping that soilder/bot in the head before it got Bucky

smokmnky on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The backup in She-Hulk is an early candidate, but I need more books first.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wonder Woman #16

Battle Gorillas win. Always.
    ww162mg3.jpg

ww163mh8.jpg

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • GaineGaine Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Just finished Mice Templar #3, bad ass fight against The Many (though not as cool as their reveal at the end of 2). Definitely agree with Astonishing above. Good issue, but nothing stands out as the best moment.

My real moment of the week might be reading the first Iron Fist trade. That is, if all of you haven't been lying. Report back on that after I finish.

Gaine on
    obamaprime1.jpg
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Gaine wrote: »
    My real moment of the week might be reading the first Iron Fist trade. That is, if all of you haven't been lying. Report back on that after I finish.

I just finished reading it about an hour ago.

They're not lying.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    Wonder Woman #16

Battle Gorillas win. Always.
    ww162mg3.jpg

ww163mh8.jpg

I don't know what the hell lead up to this (Not reading WW right now), but that looks rad as hell.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I just finished reading it about an hour ago.

They're not lying.

Of course not. It is just that awesome.

Unfortunately, the next trade won't be out until May (I think). However, for your coming to the light I would suggest using this th_00618_ironfist_122_710lo.jpg
    sig for a while.

Crimsondude on
  • GaineGaine Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    May? Damn, time to dig for the singles.

And yes, Iron Fist v1 is my moment of the week.

Gaine on
    obamaprime1.jpg
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    YA was great

I love Brubaker

Sars_Boy on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    May? Damn, time to dig for the singles.

And yes, Iron Fist v1 is my moment of the week.

Well, the current arc doesn't end until April. So, yeah. But it will also be huge (approx. 9 and a half issues long).

Crimsondude on
    edited January 2008
    Good luck finding the IIF singles. As I will always say for latecomers to Iron Fist, pick up Essential Iron Fist Vol. 1 and thank me later.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Man.

Punisher was just.

Oh man.

So fucking brutal.

Sars_Boy on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What comic is that editor's not from?

deadonthestreet on
    edited January 2008
    WWH Aftersmash: Damage Control #1

wwtMask on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2008
    Teen Titans #55 was just plain bad. The art was bad, and the story was terrible. None of the characters acted like themselves. And according to this interview, an upcoming storyline is the "Terror Titans"

we just had an anti-titans group storyline. Just like we just had a Titans of the Future arc

Like, damn, Sean McKeever. At least Geoff Johns brings back stuff a few decades old.

Garlic Bread on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Teen Titans #55 was just plain bad. The art was bad, and the story was terrible. None of the characters acted like themselves. And according to this interview, an upcoming storyline is the "Terror Titans"

we just had an anti-titans group storyline. Just like we just had a Titans of the Future arc

Like, damn, Sean McKeever. At least Geoff Johns brings back stuff a few decades old.
    Actually, we just had it Twice.

Also, none of the enemies look particularly interesting.
    There's, of course, the Clock King. And then there's Disrupter; there's Dreadbolt, who is a teenage version of Bolt, even though Bolt is still around in Salvation Run; and then there's Persuader with the big old Atomic Axe; and then Copperhead. So that's the Terror Titans, and they launch a campaign against the Teen Titans for a reason I'm not going to say.

Also, McKeever is apparently not mature enough to say "making out"

Fencingsax on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm glad I dropped Teen Titans a few arcs back. It's kind of sad that McKeever, who really made his name doing teen books, is flailing around so badly on Teen Titans.

Also, more fucking legacy characters? Jesus, can someone make something new? I guess there's a different level to it this time at least, with villainous legacies to mirror the heroic teens' legacies, but I'm so tired of DC writers just recycling old shit.

Munch on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Blue Beetle was so good this week

Great action, dialogue and tons of Ted Kord love.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Young Avengers would be my MotW.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Blankspace wrote: »

This was the best issue of Blue Beetle in a long time. Well, all of them are awesome, but this was more awesomerer.

Also, "W.W.T.K.D.?". Someone needs to make a bumper sticker. That and "sweater nebulas".

KVW on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2008
    Blankspace wrote: »

yeah i just finished reading it

it was so dang awesome

i'm making TLB get jealous of it

Garlic Bread on
    edited January 2008
    I don't know which part was my favorite. It's a tossup between "Kick their ass." and "About time."

Garlic Bread on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    you fucker

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hahaha
    The end of Countdown. It's going to be so fucking funny if all the build up over Monarch was for shit and Superboy Prime just lasers his head off in the next issue.

Mai-Kero on
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Is it just me or is Countdown getting awesome?

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
    edited January 2008
    I wouldn't say awesome, but it's not terrible anymore.

I wish the Red Robin costume would get rid of the chest thing

Garlic Bread on
    edited January 2008
    Is it just me or is Countdown getting awesome?

Has been since the recap mid point issue.

And yeah, somone needs to get a scan of the page where Jaime fires up the scarab and blasts off.

"Escarabajo"

Bad Karma on
    edited January 2008
    jaime seriously took no shit in this issue

he was so awesome

Garlic Bread on
  • TankTank Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Blue Beetle was cool. Teen Titans was the suck. BTW, have the events in TT East been discussed in any of the other comics?

Pixie shanking a chick was my moment of the week! I got one question about Messiah Complex though.....
    On the page where Scott says that there are "No more X-men" in the third panel Xavier's body disappears. Was his death a mental illusion he put into everyones minds?

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Keith wrote: »

Man I really don't like the artist they have on Teen Titans. The art's not bad so much as none of the characters look like teenagers. Which is kind of important for a book about teenagers. Look at that Clock King. That's not a teenager. That's a 40-year-old.

Darth Nat on
    edited January 2008
    Ha! Victory is mine. (and scans daily)

243l0lgda7.jpg

Bad Karma on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Tank wrote: »
    On the page where Scott says that there are "No more X-men" in the third panel Xavier's body disappears. Was his death a mental illusion he put into everyones minds?
    I totally missed that part when I first looked at it, very interesting. This helps lead into X-men Legacy a bit better then I thought.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I felt terrible laughing at how bad Teen Titans was. Because based on the art everyone on the title is retarded

Algertman on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    Man.

Punisher was just.

Oh man.

So fucking brutal.
    I half expected him to get up again. AFTER EVERYTHING.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Thankfully the art in Teen Titans this month is a fill-in.

I'm close to dropping it though.

Pretty much all of X-Men 207 is my MOTW. Holy shit what a crossover.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh, and Anthem owning Namor.

Fuck I am going to miss The Order.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Oh, and Anthem owning Namor.

Fuck I am going to miss The Order.

yeah i was reading this and the whole time i was thinking "man, why you gotta cancel this...this shit is awesome"

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm going to keep reading Ultimates 3 (because I'm a whore for Madureia) but good god there were some shite parts this month.

Namely Sabretooth's "SUCK IT!"

WtF was that?

SatanIsMyMotor on