As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Indie Games] h o n k

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    It's what I need to feel angry!

That's weird. I just vacillate between angry and depressed naturally at this point.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Gungeon needed a little bit more accessibility for me, when they patched in the storage for health I thought "that's a fair compromise" but nope, doesn't carry over between floors.

Also, for all the effort it takes to get the elevators running, it feels only worth it to practice the lower floors.

I'm pretty sure the hearts storage does work across floors? Their limitations as I remember them are they have a maximum amount they can hold (I think it's like one and a half) and they're only on the first... I think 3 floors.

If you're still struggling with getting hit on average rooms and not perfecting the bosses on the first or second floor, then definitely keep practicing the fundamentals there. In Gungeon more than most games like this "don't get hit" is the actual advice, since they give you many tools to do that with between the dodgeroll, blanks, and defensive items. A quick tip is to try and focus on sidestepping bullets, because most of the ones in this game travel pretty slowly--and sidestepping doesn't lock you into a direction like rolling does. Ideally rolling is for when you have a plan for where you're going to end up, or as a last resort.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Gungeon needed a little bit more accessibility for me, when they patched in the storage for health I thought "that's a fair compromise" but nope, doesn't carry over between floors.

Also, for all the effort it takes to get the elevators running, it feels only worth it to practice the lower floors.

I'm pretty sure the hearts storage does work across floors? Their limitations as I remember them are they have a maximum amount they can hold (I think it's like one and a half) and they're only on the first... I think 3 floors.

If you're still struggling with getting hit on average rooms and not perfecting the bosses on the first or second floor, then definitely keep practicing the fundamentals there. In Gungeon more than most games like this "don't get hit" is the actual advice, since they give you many tools to do that with between the dodgeroll, blanks, and defensive items. A quick tip is to try and focus on sidestepping bullets, because most of the ones in this game travel pretty slowly--and sidestepping doesn't lock you into a direction like rolling does. Ideally rolling is for when you have a plan for where you're going to end up, or as a last resort.

https://enterthegungeon.gamepedia.com/V2.0.0
    Save hearts for later when at full health - pick them up at the new heart dispenser located at every floor entrance and shop (note: stored hearts are reset each floor!)

Unless they've since changed that.

For reference, the early floors were no sweat for me and the early bosses weren't hard (I would maybe get hit once) and I could reach the fourth, maybe fifth floor consistently, but I plateaued around there and I know about the extra legwork for the true endings too.

I appreciate the advice though, I would love to dive back in and beat that game, but my heart isn't in it right now.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Getting back into Gungeon is difficult for me because I always completely forget how to deal with Wallmonger.

Fucking Wallmonger.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    you know what this thread needs?

politics

interested in how they are going to retcon Gebrandt and Your Aunt supposedly being uncannily identical since they used to have the same card image

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I was rather bitter about Mr. Slowcake losing, always want more of that good Hell content

Luckily...

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Played through Return of the Obra Dinn. I enjoyed it a lot, but looking up the intended way to figure some of these people without any guessing was a gut punch.

Moth 13 on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    Played through Return of the Obra Dinn. I enjoyed it a lot, but looking up the intended way to figure some of these people without any guessing was a gut punch.

How so?

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

How so?

Ending a mystery game with "well that was sloppy but there were some bits I feel good about figuring out" and then finding I missed a giant section of clues has a way of tanking the ol' self esteem.

Specifically
    the memory where everyone sleeping in hammocks is listed as present, which made me go "they're all covered up by blankets, what's even the point?" and ignore them. But afterwards I found out that if you look super closely, every hammock is labeled with a number, and those numbers match up with the cast list. So there's a number of people who you're supposed to discover based on matching their feet or whose hammocks are missing later, and I had to bluff through because I didn't notice. It's a complex mix of "I feel dumb" and "that was bullshit".

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    SkateBIRD is gonna be the king of the current batch of skateboarding games. And it won't even be close, IMO.

I played that demo on Steam and it kinda controls bad.

I'm debating picking up SkaterXL or Session during the Steam sale, but people seem torn on which game is better/right for me. I guess from what I gather, SkaterXL plays closer to Skate (a series I didn't play much of), and is closer to being an actual game, and has extensive mod support. Session is a really tight sim skating game and is just a sandbox right now.

My other option is just sticking with THUGPro.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

How so?

Ending a mystery game with "well that was sloppy but there were some bits I feel good about figuring out" and then finding I missed a giant section of clues has a way of tanking the ol' self esteem.

Specifically
    the memory where everyone sleeping in hammocks is listed as present, which made me go "they're all covered up by blankets, what's even the point?" and ignore them. But afterwards I found out that if you look super closely, every hammock is labeled with a number, and those numbers match up with the cast list. So there's a number of people who you're supposed to discover based on matching their feet or whose hammocks are missing later, and I had to bluff through because I didn't notice. It's a complex mix of "I feel dumb" and "that was bullshit".

just fyi thank you for spoilering this and please keep doing so, because this reminded me that I finally bought this recently but never started it up. so now i'm playing through it and really digging it, wanna avoid any and all spoilers if i can

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I stopped playing Obra Dinn once I got stuck, because it's not a game I feel I can view a walkthrough for. Like, you spoil one fate, you spoil a bunch of fates.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    it's definitely doing my head in so far trying to keep track of faces and situations and all that. i've filled in the basic events for all but three of the chapters so far, so for now i'm kind of just letting it wash over me.

Made it to the last boss of nuclear throne

If you are in front of it before the fight starts it will blast you to death one shot total life obliteration

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular

listen

listen

I can't not vote for a tiger for mayor

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    that's a panther

It's fallen london, all bigcats are tigers by association

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I know so little about the setting, that could either be a joke or completely serious

the answer to that is yes

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Made it to the last boss of nuclear throne

If you are in front of it before the fight starts it will blast you to death one shot total life obliteration

And now you know not to stand right in front of it.

I got back to the last boss with a gatling bazooka, the rate of fire of the gatling bazooka is such that the explosion of the first missile detonates the one following it so if you shoot it a lot the explosions will daisy chain back to you and kill you instantly

After I beat it I am going to throw this game in a river

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    No, after you beat it you need to start doing loops.

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    God I wish I could play Obra Dinn again for the first time.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    Nope, river

edited July 2020
    Oh fuck for real, lets get Rubbery

I've always gotten a sense of progressing disenchantment with the whole Fluke scene from the Rubberies I'd like some good tasty content in that directiob

Hobnail on

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    So I don't get Cycle 28.

Am I supposed to be shooting the tan dudes? I've tried not shooting at all, I've tried shooting the "door" and a weird bessel started swooshing at me and I got blown up.

What exactly whould I be doing.

On my first run I got a really good high score which means it's really hard for me to beat my high score to get upgrades.

Do I need upgrades to advance the plot?

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    edited July 2020
    oh god, I just finished the new train station

it's a whole new area! with totally new cards! and a totally separate bazaar!

fallen london you do spoil me so with lurid content

please never stop

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    Once I become a director on a scale of 1 to fucked what is the station grind like

get ready to assemble some skeletons, baby

wY6K6Jb.gif
    Ohhhhhh god no

tenor.gif

wY6K6Jb.gif
    I'll doot in hell!!

edited July 2020
    that's where the train is supposed to go eventually, yes

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    Whatever THAT is

I must say Sunless Skies before it crashed and destroyed everything really dealt my understanding of the lore quite a few blows

Speaking of who the fuck is Mr. Barleycorn

Oh really? Mind sharing what lore you had to re-evaluate?

wY6K6Jb.gif
    edited July 2020
    Well I certainly thought I had a better handle on devils and hell than I do and my grip on the Flukes and Exile was confirmed to be as bad as I felt it was

And Mr. Barleycorn in his fuckin crab shack REALLY bothered me wish I'd gotten to the end of all that

Oh and the cults at the Avid Horizon didnt get through that either highly vexing

Hobnail on

If you ever get back to it then advancing through the Truth ambition lets you have some more direct interactions with Mr. Barleycorn
    and his boss

wY6K6Jb.gif
    Uuuugggghhhh thats the ambition I started with too I just had to by the description