As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox] 2.75 Gamecubes

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Andy Joe wrote: »

No one's said that since Killer Instinct (that less famous but basically universally praised relaunch of the 2D fighting franchise) came out. :lol:

Also, that line-up is terrible. Not a single Team Ninja character, and needs more Sunset Overdrive. The regulars in past threads have come up with way better lists, and had more fun doing it. :lol:

EDIT: Because I top'd, here's my painful fanboy must-have Xbox Ensemble preferably 2D/3D rather than Arena Fighting Game cast list, and I encourage others to share theirs if you can find them.

Premiere (of course they'd be here, moron) Tier

343 Industries

John-117
    Avery Johnson (duh!)
    Jameson Locke (that's right, suck it haters)
    Olympia Vale (because Laura Bailey should be in every video game ever made)
    Edward Buck (because Firefly nerds don't ever shut up, no, I'm kidding, he's great)
    Arbiter Thel 'Vadamee (who's...already in Killer Instinct)
    Cortana (I'd make a joke about needing to zap or hack people, but Halo 4 already gave her a hard-light body that actually looks like armor)
    Bonus Unlockable Broken Overpowered Troll Character: Warden Eternal

(343 Guilty Spark and other fun monitors possibly as DLC.)

The Coalition

Marcus Fenix
    J.D. Fenix (with hair options)
    Augustus Cole (COLE TRAIN declarations until you throw up)
    Daimon Baird
    Dominic Santiago
    Kait Diaz
    General RAAM (at least he wouldn't work the exact same way as the above Gears)
    Queen Myrrah
    Bonus Unlockable Joke Character: One of the Carmine Brothers.

Studio MDHR

Cuphead (this is pretty self explanatory. Also, he has to be drawn, so let the nightmare begin)
    Mugman
    King Dice

Double Helix Games

Jago
    Sabrewulf
    Glacius
    Thunder
    Spinal
    Fulgore
    Orchid (honestly, it's to hard to choose from KI characters...so I just went with the originals. Assume optional retro 2D skins or something)

Others

Ori (duh!)
    Steve (with optional Herobrine costume)
    Gender/Suit swapable Forza Motorsport driver (yes, it would be like the Stig. No, I don't know how they'd fight)
    Gender/appearance swapable Sea of Thieves Pirate
    Gender/appearance swapable Sunset Overdrive Employee-of-the-Month
    Gender swapable Fable hero
    Jack Joyce (yes, I know, but if we get him we can get...)
    Paul Serene (...because Aidan Gillian is the hero we deserve, and it's not like he's on Game of Thrones anymore. Also, time powers)

And of course, Terry Crews playing a double role as Commander Jaxon and Terry Crews.

Big Deal "Xbox history" Tier

Team Ninja

Ryu Hayabusa (no shit, Microsoft, just flash some cash at Koei Tecmo, not like they're doing shit with him)
    Ayane (fun fact: she's technically in more Team Ninja Xbox titles than any other character)
    Kasumi (something something ruaway shinobi)
    Rachel (really just part of the package)
    Zack (obligatory black dude pretending to be a Japanese standup comedian from the 1970s, set aside cost for Tellytubbies costume licensing)
    Hayate (or maybe Ein, does it really matter?)
    Tina Armstrong (cleavage ahoy)

Aerosmith sound clips not optional.

Smilebit

Beat (gotta get JSRF in here)
    Gum

Capcom

Frank West (he's covered wars, you know)
    Chuck Greene
    Nick Ramos

Others

Kameo (a cameo from Kameo)
    Viva Pinata Pinatas
    Johanna Dark (both Perfect Dark and Perfect Dark Zero versions, shut up, she's cute)
    Sam Fisher (Michael Ironside, accept no substitutes)
    The Two Cute Cops from Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions

Middle "Well, they were on Xbox" Tier

Visceral Games

Isaac Clarke
    Ellie Langford
    Nicole Brennan (do some nifty Marker hallucinations or something)

Square-Enix

Claire "Lighting" Farron (to remind people of the great dishonor that was bringing Final Fantasy XIII to another console)
    Noctis Lucis Caelum
    Ignis Scientia (I don't recall asking you what you thought of my recipes)
    Prompto Argentum
    Gladiolus Amicitia (all costumes shirtless)
    Cidney/Cindy Aurum (same as above)
    Sora (that's right, HAHAHAHAHA! Also, maybe give him a Roxas costume)

(Formerly) Telltale Games

Clementine
    Lee Everett
    Jesse (from Minecraft: Story Mode, how's that for an abrupt switch?)
    Petra
    Axel
    Olivia
    Lukas

Others

Senua (complete with highly distracting and disturbing voices)
    Big Daddy (because pretty much everyone played Bioshock on Xbox 360 first)
    Lara Croft (lots of ages, incarnations, and costumes, plus her Xbox exclusive Shadow Doppleganger)
    Assassin's Creed Assassins (just pick them at random, I can't be bothered)
    Yuri Lowell and Repede (remind them where they came from, sort of)
    Agent 47 (the handsomest version, naturally, cowboy, clown, and pelican mascot costumes included)
    Maybe someone from Soulcalibur? Does anyone still give a shit about Spawn?

What the Hell are you thinking Tier

Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy VII's coming to Xbox! That's right! Come at me, bro!)
    Dante (the version who doesn't kind of suck and is in Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, ironically)
    Catherine and Katherine (yeah, even I have trouble justifying this beyond that they were on Xbox 360)
    Snake (whichever variety of him would play off Sam Fisher the best)

There! Enough characters to financially cripple a company as large as Microsoft! I'm pretty sure I had more fun typing that then anyone will have reading it.

Synthesis on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Geometry Wars ship is op, nerf plz.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Oh hey saints row 2 is free , I had a blast with three but never got to play this one.

• MarekMarek Lurker Pro A screen door... factoryRegistered User regular
    Would the Xbox version of Final Destination be just fighting on top of the OG Xbox console? It's big enough...

XBL: Jason Marek
    Marek wrote: »
    Would the Xbox version of Final Destination be just fighting on top of the OG Xbox console? It's big enough...

No, but smashing an opponent into the danger zone/landing a ground attack gets you a giant prototype Xbox statue for points and/or health.

(This literally happens in Dead or Alive 4.)

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    5txnkjb7z3dq.png
    wtf
    so what, games in canada are going to cost 100 dollars now?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Is 2K supporting smart delivery?

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I've been kind of impressed with some of the Games for Gold titles lately. While I already owned it, Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: Martyr is a great game. Since it was GwG, I got a few of my friends to "own" it, so now I have someone to play with which is cool.

Also checked out Remnant: From the Ashes, which I'm really enjoying. It is the level of difficulty that I was hoping Dark Souls would have been. Purists of the latter would roast my balls for saying that, but the first 2 games already crushed them beyond recognition to the point where I'll never play another Dark Souls again.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Everything I’ve heard about the 2k series these past few games is that it’s gotten as bad as madden . Probably won’t miss much since I really doubt that the price hike is going to see an equal jump in quality.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Everything I’ve heard about the 2k series these past few games is that it’s gotten as bad as madden . Probably won’t miss much since I really doubt that the price hike is going to see an equal jump in quality.

Funny, I said the same thing when games went from $49.99 to $59.99. I still think I was right back then.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It's almost like the minimum wage has remained low for decades despite everything costing more... Wonder what's up with that

edited July 2020
    We were probably due for a price hike as a simple matter of inflation (Minecraft Dungeons and other budget titles suddenly make a lot more sense now, huh?), but I'm actively less worried because I feel like licensed sports titles have always had unusual pricing schemes from time to time (by virtue of having a monopoly on said franchise to start).

Plus, Game Pass.

Synthesis on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Is 2K supporting smart delivery?

NOPE
    if you want you can buy a $100usd version that comes with a "bonus" of being cross-gen

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Games were $60 in the cartridge era, dropped down to $40 in the CD era, then worked their way back up to $60 in the DVD and Blu-ray era

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Big games flat out cost more to make. A jump to 70, if that's what this indicates, was just an eventuality. Surprised it's been at 60 for this long.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Everyone needs to play Crosscode.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Big games flat out cost more to make. A jump to 70, if that's what this indicates, was just an eventuality. Surprised it's been at 60 for this long.

Games cost more, but they sell to huge audiences and then get monetized to hell and back. Many publishers are posting huge, even record breaking profts.

Seems to me that the problem ain't with the price of games here.

Undead Scottsman on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Market price is only somewhat related to supply costs. If games used to cost $5 million to make and sold 1 million copies, they priced accordingly. If they now cost $20 million to make but can sell 10 million copies, you have to consider both sides of the equation. And also pricing trends in the market (sales are more profitable than launch day sales for many games), customer expectation, etc. Movies cost more to make, but that didn't increase rental pricing or the cost of physical releases of movies or what have you.

Basically, this increased costs means it's inevitable to raise launch prices is propaganda. And people need to just STOP falling for it so easily.

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Big games also do DLC, Season Passes and microtransactions, they sell a ton of them digitally where their distribution costs are literal pennies to “deliver” the game, they also sell a ton more units per AAA title these days because there are a lot more buyers.

Here in DK they sure as fuck dont cost 60$ either, more like 85-90.

Sirialis on
    Movie ticket, rental, and physical release costs have all increased over the last two decades, but incrementally rather than as a big jump

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Remember when Warcraft 3 was $55 MSRP.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    Movie ticket, rental, and physical release costs have all increased over the last two decades, but incrementally rather than as a big jump

It depends. Like movie tickets in my area increased over time, but they also introduced discounts on certain days ($5 Tuesday) and those are the most popular days besides first day releases for big movies now... or when theaters were a thing, if not "now."

Similarly, rental prices have no consistency at all. Redbox can be as cheap as a buck per day, while seeing Trolls 2 new was $20.

My point is, these prices increased to match the market as a whole, but in very different ways and cheaper prices stuck around because the volume is worth it.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    If you want to raise the price fine but none of this day 1 Javik in ME3 DLC shit, you're going to have to provide a fair trade off.

At this point I'm content enough with Game Pass Ultimate that I'd buy the series X and just play what they have there, I'm not even thinking of buying Overwatch 2 at the moment given how poorly Blizzard's handled balance the past two months.

Rental prices are very consistent based on how old a release is and what format it's in (digital vs physical and then further SD/HD/UHD and DVD/Blu-Ray respectively). They've definitely increased across the board but I don't have an easy way to look up old prices to know just how much.

Besides the cost of entry, the average cost of both movie theater food and video game microtransactions have increased. They try to keep from upping the cost of entry as long as possible and gouge you on the backend, once you're locked into a purchase.

Remember when Warcraft 3 was $55 MSRP.

I didn't even own an Nintendo 64, but I know some cartridges were more than $50 at release. But I suppose you were getting hardware.

I paid $70 for a copy of Street Fighter 2 Turbo on snes.

Maybe publishers are making more than they ever have. And maybe the $70 thing is just 2k Games fuckery and not a trend. I know that $60 isn't forever sustainable, just like $50 wasn't and people will eventually accept and get over a new base price for AAA titles. And then we can restart the outrage in another decade.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I paid $70 for a copy of Street Fighter 2 Turbo on snes.

Maybe publishers are making more than they ever have. And maybe the $70 thing is just 2k Games fuckery and not a trend. I know that $60 isn't forever sustainable, just like $50 wasn't and people will eventually accept and get over a new base price for AAA titles. And then we can restart the outrage in another decade.

Ya i remember street fighter 2 and super street fighter costibg more because they were bigger carts. 32mb was on the cover of one i believe.

But 2k doesn't need to raise prices they make bank in fake currency sales

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Funny, I said the same thing when games went from $49.99 to $59.99. I still think I was right back then.

I remember having to save for months to get the $100 required for FFIII and Chrono Trigger on SNES.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I did see some numbers adjusted for inflation and the Saturn would have been 650 bucks if released today, that made me feel sad and I need to send my parents like a 60" TV or a Washer with a note that says "I'm sorry"

At least I didn't ask for a Neo Geo, which would have been 1200 in today moolah.

(OG Xbox would be $400 which is somewhat reasonable, and precious beautiful innocent angel Dreamcast would have been $300).

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    2k games is also trash. Like I wouldn't trust them raising their prices that anyone else is going to go along with.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I did see some numbers adjusted for inflation and the Saturn would have been 650 bucks if released today, that made me feel sad and I need to send my parents like a 60" TV or a Washer with a note that says "I'm sorry"

At least I didn't ask for a Neo Geo, which would have been 1200 in today moolah.

(OG Xbox would be $400 which is somewhat reasonable, and precious beautiful innocent angel Dreamcast would have been $300).

Yeah, there's a reason the original Neo Geo AES home hardware was intended for the rental market.

Preacher wrote: »
    2k games is also trash. Like I wouldn't trust them raising their prices that anyone else is going to go along with.

Yeah, i'm guessing this is just them being 2k.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Only one Battletoad? I call shenanigans.*

At least get the Dark Queen in there.
    * Killer Instinct doesn't count, there was only ever one of anyone from other franchises.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    As locked down as UWP gamepass games can be, the save files aren't necessarily. You can find many of them in Users\<Your Username>\AppData\Local\Packages . I was able to drop a 100% save file from Bloodstained here and load it. So much for achievement integrity! (Play Anywhere might be a different story, but the list of games there is surprisingly small.)

For me this is a must-have since if I actually buy a game, it will be on a more open platform, and I wouldn't want my saves forever trapped with the windows store. Plus most of them bafflingly don't have save cloud backup and actually delete your saves when you uninstall (thanks Bloodstained), so its important to backup and restore manually.

rahkeesh2000 on
    As locked down as UWP gamepass games can be, the save files aren't necessarily. You can find many of them in Users\<Your Username>\AppData\Local\Packages . I was able to drop a 100% save file from Bloodstained here and load it. So much for achievement integrity! (Play Anywhere might be a different story, but the list of games there is surprisingly small.)

For me this is a must-have since if I actually buy a game, it will be on a more open platform, and I wouldn't want my saves forever trapped with the windows store. Plus most of them bafflingly don't have save cloud backup and actually delete your saves when you uninstall (thanks Bloodstained), so its important to backup and restore manually.

Bloodstained is NOT a play-anywhere game (or for that matter, a Universal Windows Platform game, I think). Though they tend to be pretty protective of achievement-cheaters, a singleplayer game that isn't even cross-platform save would probably escape their watch. Plus, Microsoft claims developers are able to retroactively add achievements to a game (like one where a person could alter the save files, like you did), though I've never heard of that being happened.

All's well that ends well.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Bloodstained is absolutely a UWP game that also has zero xbox live integration. I know because it has a UWP ID and can be launched with a UWP shortcut. Win32 only started appearing this year? in the MS Store, so nearly everything is going to be UWP.

Bloodstained is absolutely a UWP game that also has zero xbox live integration. I know because it has a UWP ID and can be launched with a UWP shortcut. Win32 only started appearing this year? in the MS Store, so nearly everything is going to be UWP.

Non-UWP has been in the Windows Store for more than a year. But I stand corrected--the classification of UWP is a lot looser than I thought it was. It's not an Xbox Play Anywhere game, that's what misled me,.

I was about to ask if the Xbox Game Bar/other Windows 10 Xbox functions were down for anyone, since they seemed to be broken on my PC and my Surface Pro.

Then reinstalling the Game Services app and restarting fixed the issue, sure enough. So I guess that was it.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Set my oldest up to play Zoo Tycoon and there weirdly doesn't seem to be a Sim City type of mode? It's all either challenge based or unlimited money sand box. I was expecting a game mode where you have to manage income while trying to expand your zoo.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

and we have a date! Xbox first party games showcase happening on the 23rd of July. the date was rumoured last week and makes sense. any earlier and they'd have to stream it on Mixer and that would just be inviting ire.