As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Marty81

What decklist are you using for that?

• Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Marty81

What decklist are you using for that?

Just one I threw together before the twin slice nerf. I'm sure it could be better.

### odd of course
    # Class: Demon Hunter
    # Format: Wild
    #
    # 2x (1) Battlefiend
    # 2x (1) Beaming Sidekick
    # 2x (1) Consume Magic
    # 2x (1) Crimson Sigil Runner
    # 2x (1) Lowly Squire
    # 2x (1) Mana Burn
    # 2x (3) Eye Beam
    # 1x (3) Gluttonous Ooze
    # 2x (3) Hench-Clan Thug
    # 2x (3) Satyr Overseer
    # 2x (5) Faceless Corruptor
    # 2x (5) Glaivebound Adept
    # 1x (5) Leeroy Jenkins
    # 1x (5) Loatheb
    # 1x (5) Metamorphosis
    # 1x (5) Warglaives of Azzinoth
    # 2x (7) Priestess of Fury
    # 1x (9) Baku the Mooneater
    #
    AAEBAea5AwavBPoO08UCnvgCw7wDxLwDDLYTpu8C/acDgrEDusYDx8YD1MgD18gD98gD+cgD/sgD8skDAA==
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Climbed up to Diamond as Odd Paladin this evening. It seems like most people are running Twin Slices, Frozen Shadoweavers, and Glacial Shards since a lot of games are Pirates, Paladin, or mirrors.

Faceless Corruptor I've never seen outside of Odd Rogue/Paladin, it's hard to get value when you can't generate 1/1 tokens on demand, either recruits or lackeys. Priestess is a little uncommon, and I personally feel she's too slow, but it might help the Odd Paladin matchup.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Anyone who has no interest in the Felfire Challenges, it looks like you can instant concede and get credit for the "play 4 challenges" legendary quest.
    Good news, everyone! You can do the same with this week's Brawl quest if you just want the packs quickly!

9zxoqwn7iv751.png
    Lol this was great.

Yilias wrote: »
    Climbed up to Diamond as Odd Paladin this evening. It seems like most people are running Twin Slices, Frozen Shadoweavers, and Glacial Shards since a lot of games are Pirates, Paladin, or mirrors.

Faceless Corruptor I've never seen outside of Odd Rogue/Paladin, it's hard to get value when you can't generate 1/1 tokens on demand, either recruits or lackeys. Priestess is a little uncommon, and I personally feel she's too slow, but it might help the Odd Paladin matchup.

Yeah, you're probably right. I eschewed my normal routine and played a dozen or so games last night, and only won 3 of them. Odd paladin and pirate warrior were everywhere, and the decklist I posted seems to have unfavorable matchups against them.

On another note, I thought 10 star bonus was the max?

2siw3kx4bon2.png

Does this mean I basically get free legend again?

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2020

Reckful confirmed dead at 31. Suicide suspected. :bigfrown:

Mental health is real folks. Talk to someone if you're hurting. Reach out to others in case they're hiding their pain.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited July 2020
    Marty81 wrote: »

Yeah, you're probably right. I eschewed my normal routine and played a dozen or so games last night, and only won 3 of them. Odd paladin and pirate warrior were everywhere, and the decklist I posted seems to have unfavorable matchups against them.

On another note, I thought 10 star bonus was the max?

Does this mean I basically get free legend again?
    I know I've seen high ranked streamers get the 11 star bonus. I guess if you end up ranked high enough in Legend you must get 11 then?

Anyone who ended in low tier Legend able to confirm if they got 10 or 11 stars?

forty on
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Reckful confirmed dead at 31. Suicide suspected. :bigfrown:

Mental health is real folks. Talk to someone if you're hurting. Reach out to others in case they're hiding their pain.
    Oh shit. Years ago, in his prime, Reckful ran what I found to be probably the most entertaining/funny Hearthstone stream of any I've ever watched. His antics, personality, chat interaction just worked for me.

That's a bummer. I'm sure it was suicide because the guy had major depression and/or bipolar issues.

Googling seems to indicate 11 star bonus is for either the top 5% or 10% of Legend. I don't know if Marty is NA or EU, but his screenshot a page or two back was for rank 278.

NA Wild had ~2,800 Legend players in June (which is crazy, I remember before the ladder change when we had like 300 max) which would be rank ~280 at 10%.
    EU Wild had ~5,200 Legend players in June which would be rank ~260 at 5%.

And just for an impression of how big the Chinese player base is, China Wild had over 45,000 Legend players in June.

I’m on NA .

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    hah, got a BG win with an old-fashioned golden junkbot comp

ah the good old days

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I only got nine stars this month, so either Marty stole my stars, or Hearthstone agrees that I’ve forgotten how to play good.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    I actually got 10 in both formats, which was surprising to me since I virtually didn't play last month. Apparently it uses the higher of either your placement from last season or your hidden MMR.

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Me: hmmmm y'know i've had a bit of fun with this expac playing fun decks like highlander priest and spell druid but damn i'm getting tired of this expac already and we're not even two months in

Also Me: no try again it's July and the expac came out in April

Me: ...

Me:
    ES8SlRAU0AAZYBx.png

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I only got nine stars this month, so either Marty stole my stars, or Hearthstone agrees that I’ve forgotten how to play good.
    Did you make it to dad legend?

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Did you make it to dad legend?

Yep. I topped out at Diamond 3 in Standard, Diamond 2 in Wild.

The big problem was probably my Standard performance. I lost a lot of games in Standard. Going over 40 games with a sub 25% win rate as tempo DH, going 0-10 as Spell/Dragon Druid, playing a Kibler deck for a few nights, etc.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Yikes then. I thought getting dad legend was good enough to get you 10 stars in the next season.

Stars for different modes are independent. I got nine stars in standard (which I rarely play anymore, but played enough to make dad legend in the old system the month before the new system came out) and 11 in wild.

edited July 2020
    Ouch. I've been getting 10 stars for my dad legends so I kind of assumed it was a given. I hope my MMR never drops to 9 star level, because I really don't want to try to slog D10-D5 with no bonus.

Edit: Also, that setup kind of disincentivizes the whole "play dumb fun decks after you get to your rank floor for the season". :/

forty on
    Reading their FAQ really just leaves me with more questions than I started with: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/hearthstone/t/faq-ranked-mode-overhaul-matchmaking/27937
    Q: How does matchmaking work for each season?

A: There are two matchmaking pools: matchmaking by rating (aka. MMR) and by rank.

When your star bonus multiplier is bigger than 1, or you are in Legend rank, you are (generally) in the first matchmaking pool; when your star bonus drops to 1, you are in the second pool.

Q: Why are there two matchmaking pools?

A: Since each player starts at the bottom of the ladder at start, we want fair matches for everyone (aka. win-rate close to 50%). At that time, your progression on ladder is protected by your star bonus, thus your net expected gain will be positive through the ladder. Once other players run out of star bonuses, matching by rank will allow for good players, or players who want to push themselves a bit, to be able to progress to a higher rank.

In short, having two matchmaking pools helps players progress in the ladder without having to grind as much, while still making most matches fair.

Q: If I “tank” my MMR at certain rank floor, will I be matched with easier opponents next season because you are matchmaking by MMR at the start?

A: No, in general you won’t. At the start of the season we will recover your MMR to certain threshold if it is dropped below that value, which is based on what your rank is in the previous season. Therefore, there would be no benefits to intentionally tank your MMR.

Q: How many stars bonuses do I get at the start of the season?

A: It depends on your current MMR and the rank you reached from your previous season, whichever gives a higher value.

Q: Will the value of my previous season’s MMR be exactly same as the new season?

A: Technically no, although the change will be very small and the “value order” will be kept (Player A whose MMR is larger than player B in the last season will still be ordered as such). Mathematically, a re-normalization process takes place at the start of each season to keep the distribution in a nice bell-shaped curve.

Like, say a player finished in low Plat with low Plat MMR. At the start of the season they play against low Plat MMR opponents in any sub-high Gold division via the MMR based matchmaking pool. Once they reach high Gold, they play against high Gold or low Plat MMR opponents that are in high Gold division (because people in high Gold with higher than low Plat MMR will still have star bonus and be in the MMR based matchmaking pool not the division based matchmaking pool).

So why do we have a divisions, a division based matchmaking pool, and a season reset at all if our opponents in either pool are necessarily of comparable MMRs? Does the entire division system exist purely to obfuscate the MMR system and push the psychologically appealing illusion of constant growth? Even if that were the goal, why create the second pool when the first pool is virtually equivalent for matching comparable opponents and both systems operate 'under the hood' anyway?

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Sjow is doing a charity stream today for Checkpoint, a mental health organization, to raise money after the sad news that OG Hearthstone streamer Reckful committed suicide last week

he's playing constructed for the first time in maybe 4 years

twitch.tv/sjow

Beasteh on
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Reading their FAQ really just leaves me with more questions than I started with: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/hearthstone/t/faq-ranked-mode-overhaul-matchmaking/27937
    Q: How does matchmaking work for each season?

A: There are two matchmaking pools: matchmaking by rating (aka. MMR) and by rank.

When your star bonus multiplier is bigger than 1, or you are in Legend rank, you are (generally) in the first matchmaking pool; when your star bonus drops to 1, you are in the second pool.

Q: Why are there two matchmaking pools?

A: Since each player starts at the bottom of the ladder at start, we want fair matches for everyone (aka. win-rate close to 50%). At that time, your progression on ladder is protected by your star bonus, thus your net expected gain will be positive through the ladder. Once other players run out of star bonuses, matching by rank will allow for good players, or players who want to push themselves a bit, to be able to progress to a higher rank.

In short, having two matchmaking pools helps players progress in the ladder without having to grind as much, while still making most matches fair.

Q: If I “tank” my MMR at certain rank floor, will I be matched with easier opponents next season because you are matchmaking by MMR at the start?

A: No, in general you won’t. At the start of the season we will recover your MMR to certain threshold if it is dropped below that value, which is based on what your rank is in the previous season. Therefore, there would be no benefits to intentionally tank your MMR.

Q: How many stars bonuses do I get at the start of the season?

A: It depends on your current MMR and the rank you reached from your previous season, whichever gives a higher value.

Q: Will the value of my previous season’s MMR be exactly same as the new season?

A: Technically no, although the change will be very small and the “value order” will be kept (Player A whose MMR is larger than player B in the last season will still be ordered as such). Mathematically, a re-normalization process takes place at the start of each season to keep the distribution in a nice bell-shaped curve.

Like, say a player finished in low Plat with low Plat MMR. At the start of the season they play against low Plat MMR opponents in any sub-high Gold division via the MMR based matchmaking pool. Once they reach high Gold, they play against high Gold or low Plat MMR opponents that are in high Gold division (because people in high Gold with higher than low Plat MMR will still have star bonus and be in the MMR based matchmaking pool not the division based matchmaking pool).

So why do we have a divisions, a division based matchmaking pool, and a season reset at all if our opponents in either pool are necessarily of comparable MMRs? Does the entire division system exist purely to obfuscate the MMR system and push the psychologically appealing illusion of constant growth? Even if that were the goal, why create the second pool when the first pool is virtually equivalent for matching comparable opponents and both systems operate 'under the hood' anyway?
    Likely so they could do some under the hood tinkering to try to increase micro transactions without being called out on it.

zepherin on
    Living that turn 2 dream:

kzHkc5G.png?1

He started with 2 1/3s in play too.

Battlegrounds is just obsurd. I lost 1200 points in 2 days. I’m just fucking this meta up. The only win I had in the last 5 was a first place where I just had a full team of poison divine shield murlocs.

Blowtorch Saboteur as anti-DH tech is pretty interesting, but it doesn't quite seem to make the cut.

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    If you don’t hit triples you’ll just lose. 0 triples as nozdormu = 7th.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    BGs get really boring and stale really quickly for me

Hooktusk needs a nerf fast

Beasteh on
    Huh, apparently Eudora has gained a lot of ground and closed in to a close second right behind Hooktusk.

Grobian wrote: »
    Dibby wrote: »
    edit: oh my god the jaraxxus buff, did they learn nothing from Tirion? holy shit that's, YIKES. THAT'S NOT GOOD.

nah jaraxxus still isn't going to be that good. the reason Tirion was so busted is that +1/+1 was getting like triple-quadruple value from all the divine shields.
    Not just that, it was also far more consistent to get a smattering of solid tribeless minions. Jaraxxus requires forcing demons to get any hero power benefit, and if you're just not getting offered them you're still going to crash and burn. And on Tirion it wasn't too hard to get full +7/+7 hero power value by the mid game. Jaraxxus doesn't even get full value if he's rolling with any non-demon synergy cards like Wrath Weaver or Soul Juggler. He's been dumpster tier forever so it'll be nice if he at least becomes a viable pick for a change.

I'm surprised no Hooktusk nerf yet. Guess these changes must have already been planned and they haven't reacted to Hooktusk's ridiculous power yet.

They moved Sauralisk to tier 2, that kills the best Hooktusk strat. They'll prob just wait to see if it's enough.
    I guess it wasn't. :cool:

Huh, apparently Eudora has gained a lot of ground and closed in to a close second right behind Hooktusk.
    And despite her hero power sounding at least decent when she was announced, Aranna has turned out to be absolute garbage tier, sitting in the dumpster with Galakrond. I guess they overshot the mark on how many refreshes should be needed to activate it. I wonder what it would take to make her average. Would reducing it from 7 to 5 be too much? 7 to 6 would be better than nothing, but considering her current badness it's hard to imagine it putting her even in the top 50%.

And despite her hero power sounding at least decent when she was announced, Aranna has turned out to be absolute garbage tier, sitting in the dumpster with Galakrond. I guess they overshot the mark on how many refreshes should be needed to activate it. I wonder what it would take to make her average. Would reducing it from 7 to 5 be too much? 7 to 6 would be better than nothing, but considering her current badness it's hard to imagine it putting her even in the top 50%.

Aranna is a Hero that maybe would've been good in a world without all the other Highroll Heroes we have right now.

Basically, her HP is "fair" when all the other HPs are "unfair".

But 7 is also definitely too much. 5, I think, is where they should aim for if they're gonna buff her. I feel like 6 would barely move the needle at all.

DNiDlnb.png
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Eudora, if played correctly, is basically a pre-nerf AFK that doesn't have to skip 2 turns.

Plus goldgruber exists at 4, that card is absolutely nuts with her.

edited July 2020
    ronzo wrote: »
    Eudora, if played correctly, is basically a pre-nerf AFK that doesn't have to skip 2 turns.

Plus goldgruber exists at 4, that card is absolutely nuts with her.

Being able to spend practically all your gold on a turn leveling and still hit HP and get two minions (one being Golden and the other being Discovered) is fucking nuts

You completely eliminate the tempo loss of leveling PLUS you can accelerate your leveling due to that.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    edited July 2020
    I think I got a hang of this meta...or at the lower mmr they aren’t as good, either way. Winning.

4knbz59874zh.jpeg

fl8xrukf0fv1.jpeg

8pc4iy0ojgua.jpeg

On the hooktusk win I could not get any of the synergy cards so I went in a different direction.

zepherin on

Aranna is a Hero that maybe would've been good in a world without all the other Highroll Heroes we have right now.

No, her hero power is just bad. She is even worse than the known "not good" heroes.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Getting 1-2 extra minions in the tavern after you roll a bunch is a hilariously weak hero power.

No, her hero power is just bad. She is even worse than the known "not good" heroes.

Look I said MAYBE

OKAY

I SAID "MAYBE"

DNiDlnb.png
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I mean that’s basically nozdormus hero power and he is right up there as good.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    I mean that’s basically nozdormus hero power and he is right up there as good.

It's actually not even close? Noz gets a free reroll, which is 3-6 new minions to look at and you can do it every single turn as your first roll. She gets anywhere from 1-4 new minions and it takes 5 gold in rolls to trigger it which means plenty of turns it doesn't happen at all because you're leveling or buying.

Noz gets to look at waaaaay more minions for free than she does.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    a fair hero power is the same thing as not having a hero power

liEt3nH.png