As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Giant Bomb] Noooooooooooooooo! :(

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    It's hard listening to Brad fumble through trying to have a statement of any kind on the podcast this week. Kudos on Jeff though.

I'm way behind, but I've noticed that Brad has this tic where it sounds like he's "chuckling" through his statements which feels like it undercuts the sentiment, even though I know he isn't intending to. I don't know if he's doing that this week, of course.

Yeah I call my "nervous laugh" - a verbal tic as you said. In cases like this, a prepared statement is the way to go.

Any comments - GB or personal - about Pascaul! Had there been more than one tweet about it?

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    It's hard listening to Brad fumble through trying to have a statement of any kind on the podcast this week. Kudos on Jeff though.

I'm way behind, but I've noticed that Brad has this tic where it sounds like he's "chuckling" through his statements which feels like it undercuts the sentiment, even though I know he isn't intending to. I don't know if he's doing that this week, of course.

Yeah I call my "nervous laugh" - a verbal tic as you said. In cases like this, a prepared statement is the way to go.

Any comments - GB or personal - about Pascaul! Had there been more than one tweet about it?

Not that I've seen. I wouldn't be surprised if they're looking into it, though.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

Not that I've seen. I wouldn't be surprised if they're looking into it, though.

Thanks. That was quite the Bombcast, covered specific cases and topic in general.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    According to the GB subreddit, the current WR for a Bioforge speed run involves a glitch discovered by and named after Vinny during his playthrough.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    According to the GB subreddit, the current WR for a Bioforge speed run involves a glitch discovered by and named after Vinny during his playthrough.

https://www.speedrun.com/BioForge/run/yo2r3p1z
    A new much cleaner run than the previous WR, while also incorporating two new tricks: An earthquake skip right at the start, saving around 20 seconds, which was shown by youtube user classic80sStuff and a glitch I noticed in the Giant Bomb feature Backflips 'n Bioforge where you can pick up the bomb and big gun at the same time, this removes the need to go back around the lake a second time to pick up the gun after blowing up the door. I'm naming it The Caravella Method in honor of Vinny Caravella, who did it by accident, and was also responsible for getting me into BioForge in the first place.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Every time someone mentions Bioforge I get the urge to rewatch that whole thing.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    i'm in the middle of rewatching it right now, it still very much holds up! vinny's wheeze-laugh when things get really stupid is just so infectious

An episode came up on GB Infinite the other day and it still holds up

steam_sig.png

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Andy Mcnamara is retiring from the gutted, bullet-ridden corpse of Game Informer

which I think leaves Jeff Gerstmann as the oldest hand still working in games journalism today?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Austin retweeted that video where he spoke in front of that "He Will Not Divide Us" art project thing put up by Shia LaBeouf back in January 2016 and added some fun background info:

(I honestly thought he knew he was standing next to Jaden Smith while he was speaking)

Yeah I remember him tweeting shortly after it happened, and people were like "Oh hey, Jaden Smith" and he said he wasn't paying attention to the people next to him.

steam_sig.png

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqyxnEY4G1E

This might be the least surprised I've ever been to see who's headed up the quicklook of a game.

It's the most Vinny ass game since Kerbal.

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    It’s a great chill game for me at the moment. Was good to see vinny and Matt checking it out.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    To be fair, Jaden Smith doesn't seem worth paying attention to.

I said it in the comments, but Hardspace Shipbreaker is like House Flipper but in space. It seems so chill.

steam_sig.png

Hovering around infinite they replayed the besieged play date and the excitement of Vinny is just a wonderful thing.

I really hope one day he returns to it.

https://youtu.be/cOehM03vNjc

Hey any suggestions on why the live and infinite videos are just white boxes for me? Chat loads.
    Chrome (latest), Win10. Have Adblock, but get same result with or without. Thanks!

I couldn’t tell you though maybe some one here, infinite chat or perhaps the giant bomb forums could help.

Only problem I’ve had on infinite is I get a permanent 5sec cooldown on chat which I to have then refresh.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Hey any suggestions on why the live and infinite videos are just white boxes for me? Chat loads.
    Chrome (latest), Win10. Have Adblock, but get same result with or without. Thanks!
    Check whether the browser is set to not send HTTP Referrer Header, that can break stuff.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    which I think leaves Jeff Gerstmann as the oldest hand still working in games journalism today?

I think the wording on McNamara's post is interesting in that he basically says he's still involved in games in some way - maybe under some consultant capacity?
    It'd be cool to watch that space

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

Niko Nirvi, who works for the Finnish Pelit magazine, has been in the games journalism thing since 1986, ten years before Jeff got started. I wouldn't be surprised if there are people who've been at it even longer than that in other European countries.

reVerse on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    GB Infinite is a Twitch restream. What happens when you open: ?

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Brad is not great about spoilers. I know structurally exactly what the twist in Last of Us 2 is from how he dances around the subject the two latest casts. It’s like he thinks he’s saying a comparison that only the people on the call will understand, when it’s actually a thing they’ve discussed possibly 50 times on the Bombcast before.

I also don’t understand how “is two weeks enough?” to go into open plot spoilers for a 30+ hour game is even a question. They already said they’d have a spoilercast so keep it there. I can find the time to play games maybe 3 hours per week.

I don’t understand how he always is like this when given criticism for it every time. Maybe it’s like me with time planning, that keeping quiet is not a skill you can improve.

PSN: Honkalot
    The fact that he now prefaces his spoilers with "THIS ISN'T A SPOILER!", he absolutely knows his reputation by now.

steam_sig.png

• RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Brad is not great about spoilers. I know structurally exactly what the twist in Last of Us 2 is from how he dances around the subject the two latest casts. It’s like he thinks he’s saying a comparison that only the people on the call will understand, when it’s actually a thing they’ve discussed possibly 50 times on the Bombcast before.

I also don’t understand how “is two weeks enough?” to go into open plot spoilers for a 30+ hour game is even a question. They already said they’d have a spoilercast so keep it there. I can find the time to play games maybe 3 hours per week.

I don’t understand how he always is like this when given criticism for it every time. Maybe it’s like me with time planning, that keeping quiet is not a skill you can improve.
    Ugh, he’s doing that again? I’m so far behind on the Bombcast so thankfully I haven’t gotten there yet. The other thing he does is that he dances around the spoiler where he’s just so excited to blurt it out, like a kid who wants to tattle on their sibling. NO, two weeks is not enough for a grimdark game that a lot of people will have a hard time forcing their way through during a pandemic. Come on, dude. Do the spoiler cast, put it in the Premium feed, and shut up about it.

The other thing I have to say in general about video game journalists on Twitter is that they’re way too likely to just openly spoil things about a video game just to join the conversation, or get a hot take out, or (and I especially hate this one) dunk on the game or a fellow journalist/review. Ben in particular has done this for a few things in games and movies to the point that I had to unfollow him.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    on the flipside

I have no idea what the twist is after listening to those episodes so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    [edit] spoilered for old man yelling at clouds.
    I'm a bit surprised at how angry reviewers/writers are about Sony's spoiler embargo. But if it means reviewers have to talk about games instead of listing what happens, then I would like to thank Sony.
    I find it weird how people who make it their job to critique games are unable to do so without running through what happens in the game. That doesn't seem to be as common problem with movies, books, TV, etc.
    But with games there always seem to be a reason to spoil what happens, 'It happens in the first ten minutes so why should you get to experience it for your self instead of me telling you in as few words as possible?', 'If you haven't played through the game within 14 days of its release, then clearly you don't care about this game that I will still claim people should play for the great story experience', etc.
    If I ask a movie nerd what A New Hope is about they might talk about sacrifice, but if I ask a game reviewer or a 8 y/o they will have to tell me
    how this old guy that the protagonist meets is killed by the villain.
    But I just started playing tLoU (part1), so maybe that's just relevant to ppl like me.

Commodore75 on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Which I think leaves Jeff Gerstmann as the oldest hand still working in games journalism today?

Probably. The other people who come to mind as those who have been in the games industry at large for a long time (Mark MacDonald, Shane Bettenhausen, and Luke Smith) have not been on the journalism side of things for awhile by now.
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    on the flipside

I have no idea what the twist is after listening to those episodes so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, I don't either. I could guess, but I don't know by any means how accurate said guess would be.

NNID: Rehab0
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Thing is that I do think that not being able to talk about the actual structure of the game because of the story does hurt some of the conversations you can have about it, especially from a critical perspective of how or why something works so well (or doesn't for some people). "X character dies" is a story spoiler, but you don't actually need to mention it at all to have that discussion.

At some point it's going to have to be fine to say (spoilers for TLOU2)
    Hey there are 2 main characters in this game

I guess that will be in a couple of weeks, or whenever there's a slightly different ad for the game running.

I will say that I love (again spoilers for TLOU2)
    that the marketing is so committed to being a misleading switcheroo, down to apparently producing entirely swapped characters for press hands on stuff. I didn't even watch any of it beyond the initial trailers and gameplay e3 stuff but I think yes A+ MGS2 job there.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Dang that was such a good GOTY video. That fucking tiny hat.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Brad definitely had a snarky remark during the first news story that was a message to those who had already read the spoilers, but you wouldnt know he did it without someone telling you.
    He references metal gear solid 2's spoiler directly when talking around it.
    He just can't help himself with that stuff/attitude and I've gotten over it.

steam_sig.png
    When it's a game Brad cares about, watch the fuck out. He will steamroll everybody, demanding to talk about it like it didn't just come out, even if the story embargo only just lifted.

steam_sig.png

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Brad is really not courteous about anything in a podcast setting.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWsZs-tXevM

Some real quality in this week's best of. (Specifically the Chrono Trigger one)

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    The Brad spoiler stuff annoyed me too but at the same time I can't blame the guy for wanting to talk about the video game he played with his fellow video game colleagues.

The Brad spoiler stuff annoyed me too but at the same time I can't blame the guy for wanting to talk about the video game he played with his fellow video game colleagues.

I think the main issue is that they have a spot for that. It's the Spoilercast they're gonna do.

steam_sig.png

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

I think the main issue is that they have a spot for that. It's the Spoilercast they're gonna do.

Oh for sure. It doesn't change the fact that he likely has a strong desire to talk about it anyway. It's just human nature, as annoying as it is.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/end-of-map-39032410

Drew is shutting down Cloth Map. He'll be releasing his remaining Balkans interviews as audio podcasts, and doing a live stream for his last flight sim feature.

Crippl3 on
    Oof, can't say I'm shocked. His entire business structure was destroyed when COVID hit, and I know he talked about transitioning to travel within the country/state, but even that's not realistic right now and won't be for a while.

I hope he lands on his feet. He took a huge leap of faith for this career change, and got dealt a bad hand. The videos were great quality, too.

steam_sig.png

This discussion has been closed.