As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Tik Tok Toe

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Tik Tok Toe

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Is this one of those things that I assumed was so completely obvious that it hardly needed say, but apparently it did

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Is this one of those things that I assumed was so completely obvious that it hardly needed say, but apparently it did

I think a lot of people's logic is that, "Well if they really want this I'm posting it publicly anyway so what's the difference?" Privacy invasion has been normalized to the point that we don't even question when Google starts giving is ads for that website you were talking to coworkers about yesterday, letting a foreign intelligence service get first dibs barely even registers as a threat anymore.

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    It's worse than that. They can basically steal your identity. It hacks your phone.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    It's worse than that. They can basically steal your identity. It hacks your phone.

Got any information about this? I've been avoiding TikTok on principle, but I'm curious what the actual threat is like.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

Joke's on them though, nobody using tiktok has any assets to their name!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Apogee wrote: »

Got any information about this? I've been avoiding TikTok on principle, but I'm curious what the actual threat is like.

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/fxgi06/not_new_news_but_tbh_if_you_have_tiktiok_just_get/fmuko1m/?context=1

Basically, anything on your phone they can collect from you. Anything. And can access any part of your phone at any time.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    ProtectedProtected Registered User regular
    They were recently caught scanning clipboard information from iOS mobile devices, while there are apps that use the clipboard to run for example passwords from one app to another (I mean, there could be literally anything in your clipboard, personal or not, but people generally assume there isn't a malicious app in the system snooping into that data). They were not the only app, but the others I've seen had at least plausible justifications and/or open source code.

LineageOS Android's Privacy Guard has explicit permission toggles for clipboard reads and clipboard writes and can be used on a per-application basis. Highly recommend it as your mobile OS if you're going to run "dubious" apps (such as any social media app).

• Options
    SpinelesSSpinelesS Registered User regular
    Is it just me or do the letters C, I and A pop out for anyone else?

• Options
    SpinelesS wrote: »

Integrated computer architechture, maybe?

• Options
    FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    Boy, am I glad I don't use TikTok. But it's not like they're the only ones who do that. It's kinda terrifying that private companies can worm around the Fourth Amendment so easily.

• Options
    LieutenantDanLieutenantDan Registered User regular
    This is all why I quit social media entirely

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

TikTok is owned by a Chinese company, and the phrase "interior crocodile alligator" is from a song (see below, the rapper is talking about his car being refinished in reptile hide) that got popular again via TikTok. But the US Government has certainly made efforts in this vein before, like the time the FBI tried to get all the computer security software companies to include a backdoor for them to insert spyware on people's devices without their knowledge or consent (it was called something like Magic Lantern, or Lantern Fish?), and had to have it explained to them that any such liability would be accessible to foreign and criminal hackers as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIfSaDNVjXI

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

TikTok is owned by a Chinese company, and the phrase "interior crocodile alligator" is from a song (see below, the rapper is talking about his car being refinished in reptile hide) that got popular again via TikTok. But the US Government has certainly made efforts in this vein before, like the time the FBI tried to get all the computer security software companies to include a backdoor for them to insert spyware on people's devices without their knowledge or consent (it was called something like Magic Lantern, or Lantern Fish?), and had to have it explained to them that any such liability would be accessible to foreign and criminal hackers as well.

I'm not sure which I'm more bothered by: The general inanity of the song itself or not realizing crocs and gators are not the same animal.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Boy, am I glad I don't use TikTok. But it's not like they're the only ones who do that. It's kinda terrifying that private companies can worm around the Fourth Amendment so easily.

Well, for one, private corporations aren't bound by the Fourth Amendment. The US government is supposed to be, problem is there's nothing stopping going to those private companies for the data they (the companies) keep on you.

In any rate, TikTok is owned by the Chinese government, who definitely don't GAF.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Apogee wrote: »

Another source, may be referenced in the reddit too:
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/06/tiktok-and-53-other-ios-apps-still-snoop-your-sensitive-clipboard-data/

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

Well, for one, private corporations aren't bound by the Fourth Amendment. The US government is supposed to be, problem is there's nothing stopping going to those private companies for the data they (the companies) keep on you.

In any rate, TikTok is owned by the Chinese government, who definitely don't GAF.

And even if it were owned by the US government, a whole fucking lot of "rights" can be unknowingly waived if you agree to let the government in when not compelled to do so. This can go to incredible extremes, like the woman who gave police the key to her front door so they could search for a guy who wasn't there, and they breached the door with grenades and expended so much tear gas into the buildings that the lot became a Superfund site.

The best case scenario after a million people get their faces stolen by Totally Not NSA's new vlog app is qualified immunity. The more likely case is currently playing out in Europe after police took over EncroChat.

Hevach on
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I'm not sure which I'm more bothered by: The general inanity of the song itself or not realizing crocs and gators are not the same animal.

If it helps, that (as I recall) is actually freestyle, so pretty solid for coming up with it on the fly.

• Options
    It's simple folks. If a guy from Florida kills it to fry up it's tail to serve as a snack, it's a gator.

• Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    Gabe seems to have two right hands in the first panel, did he murder Polnareff's sister???

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Gabe seems to have two right hands in the first panel, did he murder Polnareff's sister???

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Vyolynce wrote: »

I would never have noticed that in a million years if it wasn't pointed out to me. haha

Even when I went back to check it out, I had to think about it for a bit to confirm that one thumb was indeed on the wrong side.

EDIT: I think it's just because Gabe has a kind of twisted pose that makes it harder to notice. If I were to look at my avatar and both of Homer's thumbs were going out of the same side of his hands, I would probably notice that. It just not as obvious in this comic. Also, did he fix it? I just looked at it again and I think it's right now... lol

MarcinMN on
    "It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Protected wrote: »
    They were recently caught scanning clipboard information from iOS mobile devices, while there are apps that use the clipboard to run for example passwords from one app to another (I mean, there could be literally anything in your clipboard, personal or not, but people generally assume there isn't a malicious app in the system snooping into that data). They were not the only app, but the others I've seen had at least plausible justifications and/or open source code.

Enh, I'm not defending Tik Tok, but it seems like this might be weak criticism since it seems to be rife with apps that don't need it:
    https://wccftech.com/ios-14-exposes-apps-that-spy-on-your-clipboard-data/
    Here is a list of the apps discovered so far that have been found guilty of accessing clipboard data:

LinkedIn
    Call of Duty
    Fruit Ninja
    PUBG Mobile
    Accuweather
    AliExpress
    Google News
    Tik Tok
    Reddit
    Overstock
    Paetron
    ABC News
    Al Jazeera English
    CBC News
    CBS News
    CNBC
    Fox News
    News Break
    New York Times
    NPR
    ntv Nachrichten
    Reuters
    Russia Today
    Stern Nachrichten
    The Economist
    The Huffington Post
    The Wall Street Journal
    Vice News
    Hotels.com
    Hotel Tonight
    The Weather Network
    Sky Ticket
    TruCaller
    ToTalk
    Tok
    Viber
    Weibo
    Zoosk
    8 Ball Pool
    Amaze!!!
    Bejeweled
    Block Puzzle
    Classic Bejeweled
    Classic Bejeweled HD
    Golfmasters
    Plants vs Zombies Heroes
    Bed Bath & Beyond

Now, I'm not saying Bed Bath & Beyond aren't secretly run by the Russian spy apparatus, but I'm not saying this is the smoking gun.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    Now, I'm not saying Bed Bath & Beyond aren't secretly run by the Russian spy apparatus, but I'm not saying this is the smoking gun.

I mean, it's right in front of our faces...what did you think the "Beyond" part really meant?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »

I mean, it's right in front of our faces...what did you think the "Beyond" part really meant?

They listen in your bed
    They listen in your bath
    All sent to the great beyond

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »

It's really a clever name. They could include all kinds of secret things in their merchandise and then if they are called on it they can just say it was included in the "beyond" part of the business. The consumer has been warned! lol

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    areadmgareadmg Proper Cat Aurora, CORegistered User regular
    I always thought Bed, Bath, and Beyond was the description of a particularly good ending to a date.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    areadmg wrote: »
    I always thought Bed, Bath, and Beyond was the description of a particularly good ending to a date.

Sure if you're a square.

Crate & Barrel is the only way to live.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    It's called Bed, Bath, and Beyond because the employees are all eldritch constructs serving their lord, Exec'lo'tatolx, who uses the business as a front do deal mystic artifacts. Hence the Beyond.

OctoberRaven on
  • Options
    areadmgareadmg Proper Cat Aurora, CORegistered User regular
    This Crate & Barrel lifestyle seems interesting.

Hmm.. Barrels.

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    "Gabe seems to have two right hands in the first panel, did he murder Polnareff's sister???"

Or it could be the work of tycho's stand crazy chocobo.