As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] New Series Starts May 11th

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Krathoon wrote: »
    For some reason, I really disliked that Capadi episode with the sleep monsters.
    I know exactly the reason(s) I dislike that episode:
    It didn’t make sense
    The monsters were made out of eye gunk
    It didn’t make sense
    They made a big fanfare of casting a trans actor for the very first time but the portrayal was pretty bloody problematic
    It didn’t make sense

Apocalyptus on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I found a like new copy of The Five Doctors for $13 bucks on eBay. It was going for $26 new on Amazon.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Oh, no. The fourth Doctor is stuck in the time vortex because he refused to be in the show.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    It was too soon after his departure, with a much longer tenure than his predecessors. At least it gave them a way to use some of that Shada content.

It is awkward to have him absent, but less significant in The Five Doctors than the corresponding issue in Day of the Doctor. That was an amazing episode, but would have felt even more meaningful with Eccleston instead of Hurt.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Yeah it was probably a blessing in disguise, you can see how much they struggled to balance the pacing of the story just with four Doctors.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Lego Doctor.
    50108921658_0f434c086c_c.jpg

What happened to that screwdriver anyway? That was the Matt Smith one.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    He lost it offscreen before Series 9
    then it turned out he'd given it to Davros as a kid, to guide him through a minefield. Then learned the kid's name, and... abandoned him. He didn't retrieve it or make a new one out of shame.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The Lego Capaldi is from Lego Dimensions. I need to play his adventure.

I bought Lego Dimensions, but never got around to playing it.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Unfortunately, The Five Doctors has some dead actors doing the commentary. The Brigadier and Sarah Jane. Kinda awkward.

Edit: I guess I have to play through the first level in Lego Dimensions before I can use the Doctor Who level pack. From what I read it sounds like there is another Doctor Who level in the main game.

Edit. I built the Lego TARDIS and Lego K-9. You ride on K-9's back in the game and shoot his laser.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Hoo-leeey smokes. Christopher Eccleston heads to Big Finish for a SEASON'S worth of stories

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    There is actually a whole Doctor Who world in Lego Dimensions.

• Options
    Eccleston coming to Big Finish is going to just make me sadder that he wasn't in Day of the Doctor.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    I liked how they did that War Doctor transplant.

• Options
    Oh, it was fine. Great, in fact. It just would have been even better.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    It does nudge open the door for a possible 60th anniversary appearance.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    It is a shame that John Hurt passed away.

• Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    Catalase wrote: »
    Hoo-leeey smokes. Christopher Eccleston heads to Big Finish for a SEASON'S worth of stories
    Pardon me while I get excited for a moment;

Fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff-yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

K. Anyway, I've never listened to Big Finish before. Time to get on that. Decently pricey, but still. Can't wait.

Fantastic
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    When did the Doctor end up in prison? Apparently that is where the holiday special starts.

Hmm. I think that ending to season 12 got clipped off for me.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    The mind blow scene.
    https://youtu.be/wpYVDamtymI

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    When did the Doctor end up in prison? Apparently that is where the holiday special starts.

Hmm. I think that ending to season 12 got clipped off for me.

At the end of Season 12 the Doctor returns to the Tardis, then a single Jadoon teleports into the Tardis (somehow), identifies himself as a cold-case investigator, declares the Doctor under arrest, and teleports her (somehow) from the Tardis to a prison cell without her being able to do anything to stop him (somehow).

This was not the most thoroughly-thought-out ending to the most not-thoroughly-thought-out season.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I just re-watched that episode last night - it seemed like the Doctor was being arrested by the Judoon, for some crime that one of her previous incarnations had committed, that she doesn't remember.

I can't believe it was only broadcast in March this year, I could hardly remember what happened. But that's 2020 for you, I guess.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    Yeah. The last season aired before the pandemic swept through. We need a little Doctor Who for the holidays. Glad they filmed it. They should have some money saved up.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I cringe at the thought of watching doctor who anymore. I think I might be at the point where I'm done with it until some brave soul tells me it got good again, and saving that, Chibnall leaves. I'd definitely come back for a new showrunner.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    It really feels like the show is being done by someone that doesn't really get Doctor Who.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    It’s fascinating how polarising the Chibnall era is. There’s this one bunch of people who feel like they’re not allowed to enjoy it because of this other bunch of people who think they’re not allowed to not enjoy it because of the first bunch of people

I’ve mostly stopped discussing it online because I feel like in most spaces, there’s this weird stigma against enjoying Chibnall era Who? The guy has faults for sure, but this whole thing just seems excessive. There are whole damn conspiracies theories about how RTD and Moffat are only saying they still enjoy Who because they don’t want to jeopardise their careers, or that political pressure from a particular country is behind the Timeless Child storyline

Like, I remember when the telemovie came out and somehow Chibnall seems more polarising in the fandom than the half-human moment (or that kiss, which honestly felt like a bigger deal than the half-human thing at the time)

Next thing you know we’ll have another Death Comes to Time scenario

Anyway, if anyone wants a breath of fresh air, get into the Benny audios with the David Warner alt universe Third Doctor. Or delve into the whole Time Lord Victorious saga (what’s been coming out is quite enjoyable and has 100% less Chibnall and 100% more James Goss)

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Looks like multiple Doctor Who games have been announced for next year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y20ohRYUKv8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyHi5uDUqIo

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I like Chibnall Who. Not as much as RTD, more than Moffatt.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Chibnall Who has been mostly a big disappointment for me. The episodes just aren’t put together very well in terms of writing, and the end of the last season felt like a horrible fanwanky misstep.

• Options
    Cyvros wrote: »
    It’s fascinating how polarising the Chibnall era is. There’s this one bunch of people who feel like they’re not allowed to enjoy it because of this other bunch of people who think they’re not allowed to not enjoy it because of the first bunch of people

I’ve mostly stopped discussing it online because I feel like in most spaces, there’s this weird stigma against enjoying Chibnall era Who? The guy has faults for sure, but this whole thing just seems excessive. There are whole damn conspiracies theories about how RTD and Moffat are only saying they still enjoy Who because they don’t want to jeopardise their careers, or that political pressure from a particular country is behind the Timeless Child storyline

Like, I remember when the telemovie came out and somehow Chibnall seems more polarising in the fandom than the half-human moment (or that kiss, which honestly felt like a bigger deal than the half-human thing at the time)

Anyway, if anyone wants a breath of fresh air, get into the Benny audios with the David Warner alt universe Third Doctor. Or delve into the whole Time Lord Victorious saga (what’s been coming out is quite enjoyable and has 100% less Chibnall and 100% more James Goss)

The Doctor Who fandom was polarized over The Doctor becoming a woman, Chibnall hate is a smoke screen.

We've talked about this before, that criticizing Chibnall outside of this thread is only going to amplify a misogynist dog whistle. Doesn't matter that Chibnall is actually ruining the show.

• Options
    I like the female Doctor and her motley crew. They are all so likeable even if they don't always get much screen time each. This is a big step up for me as I found most of Moffat's companions (except Rory) hard to like.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    I
    Thawmus wrote: »

The Doctor Who fandom was polarized over The Doctor becoming a woman, Chibnall hate is a smoke screen.

We've talked about this before, that criticizing Chibnall outside of this thread is only going to amplify a misogynist dog whistle. Doesn't matter that Chibnall is actually ruining the show.

“actually ruining” seems like such an awfully melodramatic way to phrase an opinion and present it as objective

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    There are definite weak points to Chibnall's writing, he seems to have an issue with doing exposition in a more interesting way than people walking and talking infodumps.

However, I personally find these weak points way easier to look past than Moffat's ones such as [everyone flirting, constantly], [the Doctor being a rude and insensitive arsehole, in a way that is clearly supposed to be 'fun'], [Sexism and sexual harassment]. I don't think anything Chibnall era could make me as angry as The Time of the Doctor did.

Each showrunner has their own set of strengths and weaknesses, which I think is a good case to have more than one showrunner at a time (might make it a bit less stressful and easier to make more of the show as well).

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    The writing in Chibnall's era's largest problem is setting up an interesting scenario then wrapping it up in 5 minutes instead of letting it breathe as a two-parter.

• Options
    That’s a weakness, sure, but I think there are lots of problems that all add up.

Poorly drawn characters, clunkingly obvious moral messages, a Doctor who’s given very few opportunities to show she’s clever, companions with no identifiable personality (Graham aside), episodes that just sort of end arbitrarily.

It’s difficult to think of any particular strengths of Chibnall’s episodes beyond very nice production values. For all Moffat’s faults he made some all time classic episodes. Chibnall’s made about three decent ones and no classics.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The one thing Doctor Who should never be is boring, and Chibnall era mostly feels like a committee revised over and over to file off anything interesting, while also ignoring that the story is rushed/makes no sense.

• Options
    If you think about the show from the point of children, the moral messages aren't particularly clunking. British children don't necessarily know anything about Rosa Parks, and almost certainly don't know anything about the breakup of the Raj. To liberal adults, perhaps, the message of "racism is bad" is clunkingly obvious, but it isn't to everyone.

• Options
    I
    Thawmus wrote: »

“actually ruining” seems like such an awfully melodramatic way to phrase an opinion and present it as objective

From my perspective he's ruined the show. I definitely wasn't intentionally presenting my opinion as objective fact. Sorry for the confusion.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    If you think about the show from the point of children, the moral messages aren't particularly clunking. British children don't necessarily know anything about Rosa Parks, and almost certainly don't know anything about the breakup of the Raj. To liberal adults, perhaps, the message of "racism is bad" is clunkingly obvious, but it isn't to everyone.

I wasn't actually thinking of the Rosa Parks one. That's probably one of the decent eps Chibnall has produced (along with the Raj one, the Tesla one and the Frankenstein one). I was more thinking of the terrible Orphan planet episode when they do all but stop the episode to turn to the camera and say BUT THE ENVIRONMENT.

I don't mind an obvious message, but to have an episode grind to a halt so the Doctor can deliver a moral message in the manner of the post-credits lecture He-Man used to give is painfully bad.

Or take for example the climax of the last season, in which the Master explains the plot to the Doctor while she stands still and does nothing. This is just the worst way to have her find out the truth behind the Timeless Child, making her entirely passive and dumb instead of proactive and curious. I like Whittaker but Chibnall doesn't seem to have a handle on who her Doctor is at all.

I feel like Chibnall's most prominent plus point has been increasing the diversity of the show's cast, but very little about his actual execution has been very good. The two BAME companions are very vaguely drawn, and I'd be hard pressed to describe either of them without mentioning her job (which is irrelevant 99% of the time) or his dyspraxia. I knew precisely who Rose Tyler was and why she was travelling with the Doctor within five minutes of meeting her.

And I hate that the show is disappointing me. It's a show I root for more than any other, I think. I badly want it to fire on all cylinders and soar.

Bogart on
  • Options
    I should say that I don't think the show's ruined by any means. Nothing is irretrievable.