As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hamilton] is now on Disney+

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    It might be a rights situation

Usually broadway shows will have a HEY YOU CAN'T FILM THIS SHIT period for several years after they debut

That date in 2021 is almost exactly 5 years from the debut of the Hamilton production in Chicago, so possibly an agreement there? Previews started late September 2016 with an official debut in October 2016.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Saw on Twitter that they need the next 20 months to turn everyone into cats.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    So this came out today.

Some thoughts, the quality of the singing is mildly worse (with the exception of Soo) but the subtleness of the performances are all there and I love it, you can really see that these people have performed this hundred of times and really nailed down their respective characters with tiny cues.

Daveed Diggs is still my favourite and even more so with the visualness of his performance, Lafayette is clunky and eager, Jefferson is delicate and deliberate and it just adds to the performance.

Hurricane, is not my favourite song, but, fuck. Visually, seeing all the performers spinning around him, with the washed out colour as Mariah Reynolds popping out in red is amazing.

The editing of all the swears is legit disappointing though, but I guess it is in Disney. My biggest complaint though is how it is filmed, whenever they change the angle or have a closeup, it makes it legitimately exciting, the wide shot, which is how it is mostly filmed, just takes it too far out of the moment and I think hurts the performance on the tv.

Blake T on
  • WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    I was under the assumption that this was a thing that was taped pre their broadway debut wasn't it? I'm legit trying to decide if I feel comfortable giving the mouse any money these days and hearing it's censored is just another little piece of straw adding to the camel.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    They edited it? What the fuck??

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

does disney+ not allow nudity/swearing for any of its content?

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    wait that’s not what LMM said, he said they only cut two “fucks”

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    LMM was clear about this. Disney doesn't want anything higher than PG-13 on Disney+. PG-13 can have 1 "fuck". Hamilton has 3. They removed 2 of them: Hercules Mulligan getting the fuck back up again and Southern Mother-fucking Democratic Republicans. They're just muted out. The rest of the show is apparently untouched.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    LMM was clear about this. Disney doesn't want anything higher than PG-13 on Disney+. PG-13 can have 1 "fuck". Hamilton has 3. They removed 2 of them: Hercules Mulligan getting the fuck back up again and Southern Mother-fucking Democratic Republicans. They're just muted out. The rest of the show is apparently untouched.

Those are the 2 best!!

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I simultaneously love Hamilton while also enjoying piping hot leftist takedowns of Hamilton

You Should Be Terrified That People Who Like “Hamilton” Run Our Country
    The most obvious historical aberration is the portrayal of Washington and Jefferson as black men, a somewhat audacious choice given that both men are strongly associated with owning, and in the case of the latter, raping and impregnating slaves. Changing the races allows these men to appear far more sympathetic than they would otherwise be. Hamilton creator Lin-Manuel Miranda says he did this intentionally, to make the cast “look like America today,” and that having black actors play the roles “allow[s] you to leave whatever cultural baggage you have about the founding fathers at the door.” (“Cultural baggage” is an odd way of describing “feeling discomfort at warm portrayals of slaveowners.”) Thus Hamilton’s superficial diversity lets its almost entirely white audience feel good about watching it: no guilt for seeing dead white men in a positive light required. Now, The New York Times can delight in the novel incongruousness of “a Thomas Jefferson who swaggers like the Time’s Morris Day, sings like Cab Calloway and drawls like a Dirty South trap-rapper.” Indeed, it does take some getting used to, because the actual Thomas Jefferson raped slaves.

“Casting black and Latino actors as the founders effectively writes nonwhite people into the story, in ways that audiences have powerfully responded to,” said the New York Times. But fixing history makes it seem less objectionable than it actually was. We might call it a kind of, well, “blackwashing,” making something that was heinous seem somehow palatable by retroactively injecting diversity into it.

Besides, you don’t actually need to “write nonwhite people into the story.” As historians have pointed out, there were plenty of nonwhite people around at the time, people who already had fully-developed stories and identities. But none of these people appears in the play.

It is basically the musical equivalent of that Barnes and Noble black history month promotion where they put black people on the covers of books about and by white people

Anyway can't wait to watch Hamilton for July 4th tomorrow

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I'd be so much more excited for this a few years ago compared to now

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    WeX Majors wrote: »
    I was under the assumption that this was a thing that was taped pre their broadway debut wasn't it?
    No, it was apparently taped in 2016 on Broadway, right before Miranda left the cast

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Just reading this gave me whole body shivers.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2020
    It probably says something that I saw Wicked and Hamilton in the same week, and that (a) even the stripped down stage version of Wicked does a better critique of structural racism than the race-flipped founding fathers story but also (b) I could happily watch Hamilton a hundred times, while I have absolutely zero desire to ever see Wicked again. It's just an extremely good show.

edit: I remember when Hamilton first started being big I read a thing with Miranda where he said his emphasis on minority casting was to show that the american mythos wasn't just for white people, and at the time (and absent the inherent propaganda issues), I thought that was pretty cool? but also now I think it would be better if he'd also included a little more of the non-white elements of the mythos itself.

tynic on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Reading the early parts of this thread and just...2015 was 900 years ago, huh?

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I also feel it’s kind of unfair to tell a minority person that their work needs to talk more about race? They don’t exist to teach you about the problems of racism. There is a grey line as the issue of slavery in American as far as I know was done to African people and LMM could is Puerto Rican. But I also think it is strange as it is often non black people telling this message.

edited July 2020
    Yeah LMM is a lot closer to boots on the ground experience of racial prejudice than I ever will be. At the same time, his identity doesn’t preclude criticism of the themes of the work.

But thinking about it, it’s worth noting that pop culture even acknowledging that the slaves owned by the founders wasn’t just an oopsie but was actually a major issue that was called into debate during the formation of the country itself, was/is super, duper rare. Like, you’ve got a story to tell and a limited amount of time to tell it, and I know LMM has said he wanted to include more about slavery but couldn’t jam everything in. It’s one of the reasons Laurens was such an important character though he wasn’t that key irl - he was vocally opposed to slavery and Miranda thought it was super important to show that this was a simultaneous fight, even though it ultimately lost.

tynic on
    Yeah, there was a rap battle originally written about slavery which is in the book, but due to there being so much in there already it got left out because it’s not like that one rap battle fixed slavery, it continued to be around for a while. I think it would have been interesting to put in as it would have shown Jefferson more as the bad guy rather than just opposing Hamilton, but I can see why it isn’t there anymore.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    just finished my watch through, I don’t think I’d even listened to the show after I saw the Chicago production, that chapter had closed for me

the limp slavery response, the lionization of genodicers and not even a backhanded mention of Indians is all disappointing if not irresponsible

Hamilton is also probably the greatest musical ever written and an undeniable masterwork

multiple things can be true!

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Hamilton bought and sold slaves, and hated immigrants

I'm just not as on board for a fictitious hagiography of shitty white dudes these days

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    edited July 2020
    Yeah, I do want to add, that I’m not defending it as a place to die on, it could have contained more context about the time that it was set in. But at the same time I don’t feel it’s fair to say, it’s bad because of it.

As much as people talk about the cool zone of history due to Covid, I think low key one of the other things that is going to be talked about In the cute is how much more we are looking back at past works (as mentioned earlier, 2015 was 900 years ago) and aren’t afraid of critiquing them far more harshly.

Blake T on
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Tried watching this week my 6-year-old daughter. Thought she might enjoy it s little, as she had been to a few family Broadway shows in the beforetimes.

She got bored and said is was just a lot of singing. We gave up at intermission.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    There's probably an interesting discussion to be had about the distinction between "historical hagiography" and "revisionist mythology", and to what degree Hamilton engages in both. But I don't feel like I'm smart enough or qualified enough to have that discussion.

Tried watching this week my 6-year-old daughter. Thought she might enjoy it s little, as she had been to a few family Broadway shows in the beforetimes.

She got bored and said is was just a lot of singing. We have up at intermission.

Try the Kevin Kline version of Pirates of Penzance, I remember loving that at her age. It has pirates!

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    watching this from the view of a former stagehand.

my god.

the set is amazing, the quick changes on the stage during actions are astounding, the lighting is just superb and I'm just

my god.

and the words, the words like language and music and

ignoring the story and the history and everything else that should be challenged and critiqued etc, it's just a superb show.

Also, King George 3 is the best. and Farmer Refuted is up there with my fave numbers.

But the lighting. The costumes. The stagework.

I'd hate to see the stage managers Book. it would probably give me anxiety.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    I probably won't watch this until Sunday, but it's been fun today watching a huge swath of twitter get their first good look at Daveed Diggs in action.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    The rotating part of the stage is cool and used so well. Also loved when they pulled out the section of platform Washington is on and spin it around to a staircase.

I was disappointed that the King George sections did not look how they looked in my head: like Liberace concerts

djiry9osafkn.jpeg

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    The actor’s unblinking bugged out eyes work wonders for the creepy mentally unstable George 3.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    most of the king george scenes I was begging someone to come up to him with a napkin or something

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    most of the king george scenes I was begging someone to come up to him with a napkin or something

I think it works well. He’s almost foaming at the mouth. Good for “Mad King” George. Also the audience probably couldn’t see that.

I also appreciate the 1776 reference in “Sit down John,” that Hamilton shouts.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    So ok I adore Hamilton (I've only listened to the soundtrack and seen a few clips but I have every intention of watching the Disney+ version asap)

But over the past few days on Facebook I've seen some extremely hot takes about how Hamilton isn't good actually and LMM is not great either and like

Are these just extremely cool contrarians or am I missing something?

Like, ok, it's not historically accurate. It agrandizes Hamilton who wasn't as anti slavery or as progressive by modern standards as the show suggests, and like, LMM has talked himself about how Hamilton was kind of a calculating, selfish asshole... But my response to that is that it's a musical. Of course it's exaggerated? Of course the hero is made to look more relatable and sympathetic? Because it's a musical?

Is LMM problematic? The only thing I could find was he made a big deal about bringing the show to Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria? He brought entertainment and donated a ton of money I don't really see much of a problem.

Am I overthinking?

Anyway Wait For It is my very best karaoke song.

edited July 2020
    See above, I guess. It’s a great show! Is it gonna solve racism? Hell no! (and why should it). Does it kind of aggrandize some morally dubious old white dudes? Yeah probably! Does LMM’s schtick rub some people up the wrong way? You betcha. But there’s also a lot of good stuff about the project and at the very least it can be a great starting point for re-examining that period of history and contextualising it a little more.

(Most of the online takes I’ve seen complaining about LMMs personal politics have involved some pretty in-the-weeds stuff about local Puerto Rican political issues, which I am in absolutely no way qualified to comment on. As showbiz people go, he handily clears an admittedly very low bar).

tynic on
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I’ve seen some conflicting takes on LMM (and his father’s) responsibility for a pretty brutal program enacted to try and resolve Puerto Rico’s debt crisis

PROMESA sucks a whole lot, but whether it’s fair to blame the Miranda’s for it is less clear to me

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Also, Phillipa Soo and Leslie Odom Jr. are the best singers in the cast, and Daveed Diggs is definitely the best rapper

But all around? Renee Elise Goldsberry is incredible at both and steals the goddamn show

UnbrokenEva on
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    shalmelo wrote: »
    I probably won't watch this until Sunday, but it's been fun today watching a huge swath of twitter get their first good look at Daveed Diggs in action.

Mr Noodle’s brother?

Captain Inertia on
    #pipe wrote: »
    So ok I adore Hamilton (I've only listened to the soundtrack and seen a few clips but I have every intention of watching the Disney+ version asap)

But over the past few days on Facebook I've seen some extremely hot takes about how Hamilton isn't good actually and LMM is not great either and like

Are these just extremely cool contrarians or am I missing something?

Like, ok, it's not historically accurate. It agrandizes Hamilton who wasn't as anti slavery or as progressive by modern standards as the show suggests, and like, LMM has talked himself about how Hamilton was kind of a calculating, selfish asshole... But my response to that is that it's a musical. Of course it's exaggerated? Of course the hero is made to look more relatable and sympathetic? Because it's a musical?

Is LMM problematic? The only thing I could find was he made a big deal about bringing the show to Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria? He brought entertainment and donated a ton of money I don't really see much of a problem.

Am I overthinking?

Anyway Wait For It is my very best karaoke song.

I feel that it’s the internet, so it isn’t enough to hate it, you gotta scream at people why it sucks. All of the criticisms are valid. (Other than, I’ve heard people complain that now they’ve made a black culture thing for white people now that it is a musical and popular so only rich white people get to see it now, which I think is a reductive way of thinking about it, it’s theatre, theatre is small and personal and if it gets popular, it gets popular) but at the same time, it’s still 100% a piece of art you can enjoy.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I watched this a while ago
    https://youtu.be/1qXsFs2ywMo

I went music college for 3 years, I was avidly trained in music theory and performance from ages 7-27 and while I caught some of the complexities of the leitmotif and the libretto being repeated and modulating between numbers, there is just so so much more going on to make the listener subconsciously connect different numbers with other characters and events. It is such an amazing musical accomplishment.