As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SE++ Minecraft: We're Still Here!

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Update, the tunnel now runs through spawn's bottom reaches, we have -700 to about 100 mined, and about half of that railed.

Flamingo mentioned there is a village at 1700, 800. Thats the goal. To connect spawn to that village by rail

Enc on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Got most of my farmers market setup in Spawn Square. Working on a Patisserie on the lower level and if someone wants to build a shop/shops on the upper level that would be awesome!

cmsbc0rfsfdx.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    looks great! do the petting zoo animals have names?

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Petesalzl wrote: »
    looks great! do the petting zoo animals have names?

They do not! Feel free to name them.

Also, some night shots.

k6y3qno229r7.jpg
    31hanw5mduet.jpg

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Any tips on tracking down the New Nether Fortress? I've definitely explored 300+ blocks square around my gate point- found red and green fungal forests, a "valley" filled with fossils, a pig village, and a basalt delta, but still no Nether Fortress

https://www.chunkbase.com/apps/
    if you know the world seed this can help you find a lot of things

• Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    Webguy that looks like shaders! They are working already?

Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Any tips on tracking down the New Nether Fortress? I've definitely explored 300+ blocks square around my gate point- found red and green fungal forests, a "valley" filled with fossils, a pig village, and a basalt delta, but still no Nether Fortress

It's quite tough.... i think just because it's not quite as safe to do random exploration. Once you find a fortress the "stripes" rule still applies (they tend to generate in stripes about 300-400 blocks apart). But I still haven't found one in our new nether.

Webguy that looks like shaders! They are working already?

Yes, Optifine Beta 1.16 is up right now. I haven't personally encountered any bugs but they said it is still quite unstable and bugs and crashes could be the norm if you try it out.

Fortress has been found!

It's located at ~212,-650 -- follow the signs from nether spawntown heading north. The road is "safe-ish".

I brought 2 saddles back with me and there are at least 2 more in chests I didn't loot (it's a pretty big fortress). There are at least 2 blaze spawners, both of which were annoying the crap out of me considering I'm still iron age atm (but if someone can cordon them off we can get blaze rods for potions etc).

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Woo!

Also: re saddes. We have a leatherworker now at Castle Blackstone, in addition to librarians and stonemasons.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hey does anyone know of a cool adventure modpack, something similar to R.A.D. (Roguelike, Adventures and Dungeons)

We've been having a ton of fun with that pack so far, but we're starting to check out modpacks we can use for our next server.

Finished up the cattle ranch, over by the sheep pens. I used this video that I found for the barn and stables. I like how it calls it simple, it took quite a bit to put it together! I think it turned out pretty good though. I brought over some cows so it's time to get them breeding.

f2yyzmz2ntj6.jpg

Bonus Derp Bee
    7694ok4ur50b.jpg

Riding Striders through lava around the Nether is my new favorite thing

How is your experience in survival? I've been wanting to try this out but I've been worried about getting on, dismounting, and running from ghasts - can you survive a direct hit from a ghast on a strider without landing in lava?

How is your experience in survival? I've been wanting to try this out but I've been worried about getting on, dismounting, and running from ghasts - can you survive a direct hit from a ghast on a strider without landing in lava?

Partner and I tried it out yesterday (she's grudgingly learned to play a Survival world during the Quarantine, previously having only played in Creative- Minecraft is the one non-phone-game she plays). She needed some Gilded Blackstone for this cool gate build she found on Pinterest, and I offered to be her "honor guard"

After getting the necessary Intel from our eight year old, we headed through our gate and tried to hunt down some Striders. They usually congregate down by the "beach" near my gatehouse...so naturally, we couldn't find any, and had to wander around taking out Ghasts waiting for them to spawn. Hardest part seems to be getting them to come to you from the lava- I look over at one point after taking out some Ghasts, and my partner has built a damn dirt bridge out into the lava to finally tame one (she's a badass). Popped it a Twisted Mushroom, popped on a saddle, mounted it and immediately ferried it across the "lake" towards the Bastion (I had to wait another fifteen minutes before I was able to wrangle one of my own and head across to join her...some honor guard)

They sort of hum along with the mushroom on a stick! We had already cleared the sky, but my guess is as long as you're aware and moving and not headed directly into a fireball, you could almost definitely outrun a Ghast or two on lava. You can switch around and use items horse style while you're up there, so you could take them out with your bow as well. And you can guide the Striders up on land like you would a horse to safely dismount- they just turn purple and start going much slower. We even chugged some fire resistance potions we didn't end up needing on the way over

Only issue ended up being unable to remove the saddle, which seems like a gimme fix for future patches. I killed mine to get my saddle back, but it didn't matter because I hadn't brought extra twisted mushrooms, so couldn't tame a new guy. We had to pop fire resistance potions and *swim* back. So, more planning on our part and that super dangerous Nether mission would've taken all of twenty minutes, and no one was ever in any real peril

Aquarium is set up! If there is anybody down south, would you feel up to catching me some tropical fish in a bucket? I need to populate it now.

la35bv6rhj52.jpg
    pm1k76fq38i5.jpg

so im having a weird thing happening in my game that ive not seen before. the world im playing on had a plains village near spawn. I over time rebuilt it from the ground up giving each villager trade/job its own building based on the default one, but embellished. the work buildings are all near/surrounding the town center which is the well. then once I got all those in, I made sure that each worker had a house. most are two bed houses, but a few single bed homes. it takes up roughly the same amount of area the original naturally spawned village did, so its not huge or anything, but for some reason the villagers seem to often get lost. they regularly don't show up to their work stations and will sometimes completely wander off. which I know is a thing non-employed/nitwit villagers do, but these are villagers with assigned stations. a humorous side effect of this is that I did build an inn/tavern in town and often times ill find a number of the absentee villagers hanging out in there near the bar.

Raided a "treasure room" bastion last night (this is the type that's like a big box with a magma cube spawner in the center).

The target:

o3ym9gcbqe30.png

Target secured:

8onll6h0o66h.png

Total haul from the treasure room plus exploration of the surrounding hallways and rooms:

22 gold blocks
    11 gold ingots
    2 crying obsidian
    23 gilded blackstone (mined from the walls throughout the bastion)
    2 netherite ingots

edited July 2020
    In also-nether-related news:

There is now a beginning of a Nether Highway, the 90NS and 90EW, running at X=0 (north/south) and Z=0 (east/west) along Y=90. So far it just hooks up spawn and goes as far east as Gloomsborough, but from your own build, if you build out a little granite to get to X=0 or Z=0 and start crawl-building towards the center, you are now guaranteed to hook up to this central highway.

xgl38hmpgc53.png

Tip: I recommend you build it as shown, with the floor being granite bottom-half-slabs and the wall being a granite block with a half-slab on top. This way as you cut through all the different biomes on the highway, you won't get slimes spawning on the highway in the Basalt or hoglins in the Crimson Forest, etc.

Vrtra Theory on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Good morning! Can someone point me in the right direction for Minecraft mods for the Windows 10 version? I keep finding sites filled with the Java mods. Also I have a server up and running for me and my kids to play on... How do I go about adding mods to that? Do I just drop them in a folder or do I have to update the server.properties file? The server is the bedrock server that I'm hosting locally (in a Docker container).

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    The windows 10/bedrock version of the game sadly does not support modding, you have to use the java version to do mods.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    The windows 10/bedrock version of the game sadly does not support modding, you have to use the java version to do mods.

Ugh. So there's no way to have my kids play on a tablet with me on PC and have mods?

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Correct.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Correct.

This is very frustrating to know, but thank you for the information. It would explain why I couldn't find any haha.

Gloomsborough progress! It was raining which is suitably gloomy so here's some new screenshots.

Here's a shot showcasing Gloomsborough's natural paths (rather than having grass pathways, for example, Gloomsborough is naturally overrun with nether foliage and the paths are cut through the vegetation). On the left is the farmer's community house, where the farmers of the village live. The small houses on the right house villagers who have not been assigned a job.

dyzixla22mpf.jpg

A shot of one of my favorite buildings, the smithy is where the village armorer, toolsmith and weaponsmith both live and work.

jxfqg3qrjivr.jpg

Took a while but netherite: got!

w0a09ghtrzir.png

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Man, I've got the itch again. I saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDIuWv7ROi8

...and got a vision of a very, very small modpack built around this mod in an Underdark server. Building elaborate dwarven drawbridges, etc.

Unfortunately, it looks like the other big dwarf-aesthetic mod (Tinkers Construct, mostly for the smeltery) doesn't overlap this one on any game versions (1.14 and 1.15). Also having a hard time finding any good mods that would allow me to define a custom dimension for the Underdark aspect on those two versions.

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Actually, I think I've got both problems solved. Tetra seems like an interesting Tinkers Construct substitute, and we could use World Painter to create the map.

Now I just gotta figure out how to use World Painter effectively, lol.

well I do believe my dark tower is complete. I took screen shots, but then forgot to upload them to the cloud so I don't have access to them at my work computer here. I took some creative license with the original source material that was orthanc the tower of isengard. I used mostly blackstone and added basalt trim, along with gold block slab accents (from a mod that adds additional slabs for most blocks). Its also quite a bit shorter than most versions ive seen, but I wanted to make the spaces/rooms inside it atleast semi functional. so images and details to come. pretty proud of it. especially the water elevator built inside the staircase which if you use it correctly (secret switch) takes you to the living quarters floor, but if used incorrectly takes you to the very top of the tower which only has one way down (splat).

OK, Underdark modpack plans. Soliciting thoughts and suggestions before I go all in on World Painter. (Alternatively, if someone else is already skilled with World Painter and finds this interesting enough to help out, I would for sure not turn you down, LOL.)
    Knowing that I have a tendency toward kitchen sink modpacks, I set a hard limit for myself of 20 mods (INCLUDING library/core dependency mods), to keep the pack lightweight but still interesting. Priorities were:

1. A dwarf-y feeling to any technology or magic. OP late-game tech is fine, but it should have a little bit of grunge or mystery to it. At its core, it should be about diggy diggy hole with your biggy biggy pickaxe and getting all kinds of ores to build your shit with.
    2. Aesthetic build options. IMO there's very little point to playing with mods if you don't get at least one new shade of wood planks or a new color of bricks out of it.
    3. Sufficient variety in flora, fauna, and terrain options to allow for multiple biome-based caverns which feel satisfyingly distinct from each other.

So here's what I came up with.

Libraries and Core Dependencies: 4
    AutoRegLib
    Kottle
    Libnonymous
    mGui

Technology: 6
    Bonsai Trees 2 -- Allows you to grow mini-versions of trees anywhere (including, say, underground) in bonsai pots, as long as you have a place to set them with at least one empty block immediately above them. This makes it possible to farm trees in a sustainable way.

Bountiful -- This one isn't really a tech mod, but it's the closest category I could think of. Bounty boards will appear in villages (or, more likely for an Underdark server, be placed manually in player settlements). They generate random timed fetch quests. Stuff like, "Bring me 10 eggplants in the next hour, get a few diamonds." or "Kill 6 creepers today, get a rare type of sapling." The sort of thing that gives you a plan to follow if you're bored and can't come up with anything on your own, as well as provides a renewable source of materials.

Create -- The mod in the video above. Allows the creation of elaborate cog-and-conveyor contraptions powered by water wheels, windmills, and fan motors placed above thermal sources. Should be fun to make bridges and gates with, among other things. Also has a really cool effect where copper blocks oxidize over time, gradually changing to a turquoise shade which seems dope af.

Storage Drawers -- Needed some sort of storage solution, this seemed like the simplest one.

Tetra -- This one takes the place of Tinker's Construct, in that it allows you to craft customized tools by swapping out individual pieces of the tool for different materials, with varying impact on the tool's stats. Want a tool that mines AND chops? Swap out half of your pickaxe's head for an axe blade, but make sure to use a binding material to maintain the tool's integrity and durability. Tools level up as you use them, improving their stats and incentivizing you to keep an old favorite around a bit longer.

Waystones -- Fast travel. Discover (and possibly craft, depending on config options) shrine-like waystones which allow you to warp between them once they've been activated.

Food: 3
    Pam's Harvestcraft 2 - Crops
    Pam's Harvestcraft 2 - Food Core
    Spice of Life: Carrot Edition

These three together give the farmers among us something to do. Most folks are familiar with how Pam's mods work. This edition of Spice of Life encourages you to eat a variety of foods instead of simply devouring baked potatoes every day. It does so by rewarding you with an increase to your maximum HP based on how many different foods you've eaten.

Quality of Life and Interface: 2
    Just Enough Items
    The One Probe

Tells you what you're looking at, and what you can craft with it.

Flora, Fauna, Biomes, and Aesthetics: 5
    Better Animals Plus -- Exactly what it sounds like. Adds lots of different wildlife to populate the caverns. Jellyfish, squirrels, moose, vampire bats, whales...lots of options.

Biomes O' Plenty -- Most folks are familiar with this one. New trees, flowers, gems, etc.

In Control! -- Pretty much just a server utility so we can split mobs up by which region of the caverns they should appear in.

Macaw's Roofs -- Has some really cool stuff, the most important of which is (IMO) slanted roof models. No longer must we suffer with simple stairs approximating the sloped roofs we all truly desire. Not sure how the sloped blocks behave if you attach them to Create contraptions, but could potentially be really, really rad if they don't crash the damn thing. I can't imagine why they would, given that I've seen contraptions using non-solid blocks like fence posts as aesthetic additions to wind mills.

Quark -- Oh boy. Wasn't really sure which category to put this one under, because it does SO MUCH stuff in a very small package. It adds "tOREtoises", which you can use to farm basic ores. It adds crystal caverns. It adds new stone variants for aesthetic purposes. It adds iron grates and wallpapers which you can customize with banner designs. It adds variant bookshelves and chests for all vanilla wood types. Just a lot going on in this mod.

Now, with all of that said, there's a glaring omission: I didn't include any sort of mapping mod. I figured we managed in the vanilla Underdark server back in the day without a minimap, so we should be able to do it here too. The lack of visible waypoints is sometimes frustrating in such a dark and twisting environment, though. If we added in a map mod such as JourneyMap, I would want to remove one of the others to make room for it. Bountiful and Macaw's Roofs jump out as the obvious choices if we were to do that, but they both just seem so good that I'm hesitant to do it. I don't really want to make an exception and push the pack to 21 mods, though, because at that point I'm tempted to push on to 25, 30, etc. I already have a shortlist of mods that didn't make the cut at 20, so it wouldn't be hard for me to fill it up again, LOL.

I dunno. Does this sound like a thing anybody would be interested in playing if I could put a server together for it? Am I being too stingy (or too generous) at 20 mods? Am I missing anything obvious that I just haven't noticed?

as far as mods advice, for my server a number of people on are pretty anti mod, so I had to really limit myself, so we currently have only 4. ive been told we could have upto 5 (as far as i can gather they picked this number at random, and also there has to be a majority approval for selected mods too).
    luckily, one of the mods everyone agreed on was "quark", super great mod.
    so of course we had to have "autoreglib" as our second mod which quark requires.
    then third is "doubleslabs". I love this mod so much, it allows for vertical slabs, as well as two different slabs to be placed in the same block space.
    lastly I have "morevanillablocks" which makes slabs, stairs, and a few other variants like walls/fences available for vanilla blocks that aren't available in vanilla. admittedly, it doesn't have a slab of every block, but there is certainly a good variety, and the author seems to still be adding stuff. its also very stable compared to other similar mods that ive tried. bonus that it pairs great in combo with the double slabs mod.

I have just discovered that trees can grow underground without Bonsai Trees, you just need like 7-10 blocks of air above them + a light source. Has it always been this way? I could have sworn that it used to be you couldn't grow trees anywhere that didn't have a clear view of the sky.

Just checked, and I definitely had a working underground tree farm in my Vault build on Vanilla about five years ago, not sure when they officially updated it

ok, sorry to do a double post but I wanted to talk about the mods separate from sharing my tower pics. again took a lot of liberty in my version of orthanc, but pretty pleased with it. main palate I used was blackstone, with basalt trim, and gold accents. no idea what the best way to do this, so probably lots of spoilers so its not a flood of photos.
    first is an outside sealevel view of day and night, as the gold accents and blaze lamps (quark) look great at night. the tower has a spiral stair at the center that connects most of the floors, and otherwise has four equal sections which function as rooms on most floors.
    vg0s6j0pb0t7.png
    nx1z3ozmxopf.png
    the bottommost level of the tower, which is a sort of basement built inside the cliff the tower sits on, is an iron golem foundry. with mini autosmelter stations and lava forges. this floor is open, but all four sections are pretty similar.
    7n0ym55mgp92.png
    above that, which is level with the ground area of the plateau the tower sits on, is the villager trade rooms. I have two libraries with enchanting tables in the center and librarians at stations around the edge, but its somewhat cramped and I couldn't get a good photo. there is also a farm room with a small pumpkin/melon farm in the center and famer stations around. last is the potion room, with a variety of mushrooms growing about and clerics and brewing stands around the edge. all are semi uniform, so I just have the one photo.
    nz9aojnmeipz.png
    the next floor is the main hall and throne room. its where the plank bridge from the guard tower connects and is currently the only way into the tower. 3 of the 4 sides have big support pillars that go to the ceiling, they are similar to another floor so those pictures will be later, so this is a photo of the throne section. also pictured: Archimedes the throne guard, and Sir Lar the cat who sits on the throne in my stead.
    j32ds71q113p.png
    the next floor is the residence area. there is a bedroom (with privy and washbasin), kitchen (with ice chest), dining room, and lounge area. im not the best at decorating these kinds of things, so this was fine to try my hand at it.
    7xuzao9lmkxr.png
    yzsj0gib5ocq.png
    3xt8e4ezx3du.png
    pnu4cgqvgjt9.png
    52b5dltziohp.png
    above that I dida small version of the entry hall as a sort of observation deck.
    y40no8uolzp7.png
    rkv85t0kzadc.png
    second to last floor is the prison. I did get a few mods trapped in here and named them so they wouldn't despawn, but they despawned anyways and I don't know why. so its currently empty.
    ic744jz3d4zl.png
    last floor (besides the roof) is the tall tower spire area, ceiling is really high, and that has nothing to do with adding arbitrary height to the build for sure. I even managed to find 4 of the lost Palantir seeing stones which I placed on pedestals around this area. why should I fear to use them? also semi-hilariously, I did accidentally trap two phantoms while building this room. so I named them duke and duchess and im glad they have yet to despawn. their love kisses are a bit aggressive, so we'll have to work on that in the future.
    qu399nsv7686.png
    lastly is a view from the roof, which then was followed by me jumping to my death as its the only way off the roof (without breaking the building)
    quzpjvf3vh4h.png
    wowzers, ok super long post. sorry about that. hopefully somebody thought parts of it were cool or got inspiration. the players on my server certainly enjoyed that I decided to lean into the evil wizard persona.

WACriminal wrote: »
    I have just discovered that trees can grow underground without Bonsai Trees, you just need like 7-10 blocks of air above them + a light source. Has it always been this way? I could have sworn that it used to be you couldn't grow trees anywhere that didn't have a clear view of the sky.

Yea it worked like this at least as far back as the first multiplayer betas. I remember making huge underground tree farms. They also kept you from getting mega trees when those showed up, so that way you could chop everything from the ground to save time.

edited August 2020
    Well I guess that opens up a slot on the list, then.

EDIT: Putting changelog here to help me remember what I did -- removed Pam's and Bonsai Trees (3 mods total), added SimpleFarming (because it's a solo mod instead of taking up 2-3 slots like Pam's, PLUS it has a booze brewing mechanic that fits nicely with the dwarf aesthetic) and Silent's Gems + Silentlib, a dependency for it. Holding steady at 20, but now with more interesting stuff IMO.

WACriminal on
    out with the old, in with the new.
    are you also limited on serverside datapacks? cause there are some fun datapacks too which don't require players to do anything on their end.

Petesalzl wrote: »
    out with the old, in with the new.
    are you also limited on serverside datapacks? cause there are some fun datapacks too which don't require players to do anything on their end.

I'd be fine with adding any number of server-side packs (within reason, obvs). Tetra in particular uses a datapack system to add modular gear materials from other mods, so I expect the server would have some of those. The reason for keeping the client-side pack size down is to make sure that you don't need an especially fast computer to play.

What did you have in mind?

I didn't have anything specific I was recommending, just more of a loophole around the 20 mod limit.