As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Pandemic in a Pandemic

• WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    The 7th Sea card game was a game my son got me into the same time he started, and we had a LOT of fun with it for a couple years. That game will always be cool to me. Heck, I'd buy a few decks again if they redid it

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Watcher wrote: »
    The 7th Sea card game was a game my son got me into the same time he started, and we had a LOT of fun with it for a couple years. That game will always be cool to me. Heck, I'd buy a few decks again if they redid it

I actually have a starter deck I'm looking to get rid of

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Looking for a new solo game and I came across Cloudspire. Wow, that game is ridiculously bonkers in all the ways. Serious rules gobbledygook and this is coming from someone who loves Mage Knight.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Watcher wrote: »

Did some digging and apparently they ran some demos with a TTS mod and the prototype. From what I saw, it looks like a new game set in the 7th Sea setting called City of Five Sails and involves running your pirate crew to seize control of a port city. Tacking your characters to pay costs seems to be around still. I’ll keep digging and see what else I can turn up.

In other news, the In-Flight Report seems to still be on.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It'll be an interesting year for FFG, what with the ANA changes, change in leadership, and all the other crap behind the scenes. I doubt they'll address it, but.. well, I hope they do.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Looking for a new solo game and I came across Cloudspire. Wow, that game is ridiculously bonkers in all the ways. Serious rules gobbledygook and this is coming from someone who loves Mage Knight.

Gloom/Shadows of Kilforth are some of my favorite games to solo. Beautiful art and a fun ramp up of player power (though not particularly difficult at the end). I'm also going through Tainted Grail by myself and can't really see myself enjoying it with more than one other person tops. I prefer it as a solo game.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    On the digitisation front:
    Catan is going digitally outside.
    https://catanworldexplorers.com/

I don't know if it will get a lot of traction from all those types of game only Pokémon go has really survived.

steam_sig.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm very, very proud of the statement my local game store just put out. It's quite a change from last week.
    Ok, serious note for today about Cards Against Humanity.
    We were made aware on Sunday of an article going around from Polygon about bad management practices and bad culture at Cards Against Humanity. These practices included making POC & LGBTQ+ feel like their voices were not being heard or taken seriously at the company, including when other employees stepped over the line. People who raised issues were fired from the company or worse.

Cards Against Humanity put out a statement detailing all of the steps they were going to take to fix their problems, including the fact that their CEO stepped down from the company. The article I am including today talks about the employees of CAH unionizing to make sure the changes happen.

We sincerely hope that CAH can turn the ship around. However, even though Max stepped down, he is still an owner of the company. Given everything we know, we have made the decision that we are going to phase CAH out of Red Raccoon Games at least until we see some proof that the culture has truely changed, and the company has made good on many promises.

We talked internally about simply throwing all of our CAH stock away, but the unfortunate truth is that in a COVID19 world, RRG cannot afford to take kind of a loss. We had just re-ordered product right before the articles came out.

What we can do is make this promise to all of you - any profits made off of selling the remainder of our CAH inventory will be donated to BloNo organizations dedicated to creating a more peaceful, just, and inclusive community for us all. We will announce amounts and who the money is going to at a later date.

It was suggested by a customer we asked for an opinion that we should make a bonfire of the games, but that is way too close to book burning to make us comfortable. But if you wish to drop your purchase in the trash can, we will respect that decision.

TL:DR - We're not buying anything new until we see proof of change, and we're donating any profits on CAH.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    A work colleague is kickstarting a boardgame called Hideous Abomination. He play tested it at work (pre-Covid) and did all the art himself - he's the guy that did the amazing Laudate Solis Dark Souls poster so he's super talented.

I never got a chance to play it but the board game crew at work liked it a lot so here I am shilling for it.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    If that is your honest opinion, and you're not being compensated for giving it, you're not shilling

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I'm very, very proud of the statement my local game store just put out. It's quite a change from last week.
    We were made aware on Sunday of an article going around from Polygon about bad management practices and bad culture at Cards Against Humanity. These practices included making POC & LGBTQ+ feel like their voices were not being heard or taken seriously at the company, including when other employees stepped over the line. People who raised issues were fired from the company or worse.

Cards Against Humanity put out a statement detailing all of the steps they were going to take to fix their problems, including the fact that their CEO stepped down from the company. The article I am including today talks about the employees of CAH unionizing to make sure the changes happen.

We sincerely hope that CAH can turn the ship around. However, even though Max stepped down, he is still an owner of the company. Given everything we know, we have made the decision that we are going to phase CAH out of Red Raccoon Games at least until we see some proof that the culture has truely changed, and the company has made good on many promises.

We talked internally about simply throwing all of our CAH stock away, but the unfortunate truth is that in a COVID19 world, RRG cannot afford to take kind of a loss. We had just re-ordered product right before the articles came out.

What we can do is make this promise to all of you - any profits made off of selling the remainder of our CAH inventory will be donated to BloNo organizations dedicated to creating a more peaceful, just, and inclusive community for us all. We will announce amounts and who the money is going to at a later date.

It was suggested by a customer we asked for an opinion that we should make a bonfire of the games, but that is way too close to book burning to make us comfortable. But if you wish to drop your purchase in the trash can, we will respect that decision.

TL:DR - We're not buying anything new until we see proof of change, and we're donating any profits on CAH.

The other problem with CAH is not just that the company is terrible, but there's a lot of terrible things in those cards, too.

I don't think it's ok, especially now, to call a game where the punchlines often come at the expense of minorities, non-white nationalities, and homosexuals a great party game.

I think a message of inclusiveness and diversity doesn't mix well with also supporting CAH (and games like it). I'd pressure them to phase CAH permanently.

• Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    So my parents-in-law love jigsaw puzzles. I got into the magic puzzle kickstarter thinking they would make great Xmas gifts for them. Max Temkin worked on the kickstarter and the allegations came out just as it wrapped up. The comments have been a giant shit show ever since. Even though Max isn't involved anymore people are demanding a harsher response from the others involved. I believe if this artists shot Max at this point, some would be angry that he wasn't tortured first.

I understand why some people want to cancel their pledges, but at the same time they should consider that other people worked on this project and didn't do anything awful.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
    ironzerg wrote: »

The other problem with CAH is not just that the company is terrible, but there's a lot of terrible things in those cards, too.

I don't think it's ok, especially now, to call a game where the punchlines often come at the expense of minorities, non-white nationalities, and homosexuals a great party game.

I think a message of inclusiveness and diversity doesn't mix well with also supporting CAH (and games like it). I'd pressure them to phase CAH permanently.

Agreed, but.. well, there's a lot of games with that kind of humor in them. That said, I do like the "phase out until they are sure of the changes" aspect.

Then again they are already competing against Target, who have no moral qualms selling the game.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »

The CAH claim is that (at least now) they write cards that "punch up", which, okay. You could argue that on each individual card's sake and I'm sure you could make a decent argument for most cards that they do, in fact, punch up.

The problem is that much like you can't playtest a boardgame to the point of being perfectly balanced, you can't playtest a CAH set to the point of being perfectly "punch up." There will always be some (or a lot) of combinations that turn the minorities into a punchline, and that will happen a lot in play because CAH is explicitly marketed towards people with privilege. What kind of people do you think self-describe themselves, laughingly, as "horrible"? You can probably guess because you've probably met a bunch of them.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    That’s LotR stuff is cool and all, but I was hoping for a reprint/resurgence of the old mid to late 90s ICE LotR card game. I still have my cards. Everyone should google it.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

This was actually my first post-childhood game that woke me up to designer games. I had this before I knew what Catan was.

Still have my copy and the two expansions. Love this game.

First comment I saw on Facebook was "FFG, be prepared to get an avalanche of comments asking for the expansions." :D

I've ordered Great Western Trail.

Geet along little doggies.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular

Where? Mini market is still out of stock.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

38thDoe wrote: »

Amazon.

• bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular

This was actually my first post-childhood game that woke me up to designer games. I had this before I knew what Catan was.

Has there been any news about restocking of the FFG card sleeves since the take over yet? I really liked those sleeves...

akirasig.jpg
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Amazon.

The German edition? I didn't see any available in English earlier.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

Has there been any news about restocking of the FFG card sleeves since the take over yet? I really liked those sleeves...

They're discontinuing FFG sleeves and replacing them with a different kind of sleeves, I forget the name of the new ones.

Ah_Pook on
    Ketar wrote: »

Amazon.

The German edition? I didn't see any available in English earlier.

It's the German version, but I'll print the english manual.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    It is very language independent once you know the rules. Still there was supposed to be an English printing this year.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Looks like Saturday game is back on in Kentwood.

Last week we played Gizmos and iNo Sieasta!

This week we played Qin, Welcome To, and Gizmos

At least it gets me out of the house for a day. Though the heat makes it a tough commute.

Also I had a question regarding Carcassone Rules:

How the builder work? It says when you complete the development you get an extra turn but I didnt get one. Wondering if I did it wrong. Playing the Steam version.

Man the thought of meeting up with people to play boardgames atm seems crazy to me, I gotta say

• BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I finally got a chance to try Gloomhaven and I really liked it. Three of us played the first scenario, and we barely won as my Tinkerer was the only one left alive to clear out the last two archers.

Then we played Street Masters and got absolutely stomped. That one was my fault. I played as Shadow, and played him poorly, so I died and lost us the game.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Man the thought of meeting up with people to play boardgames atm seems crazy to me, I gotta say
    Its weird. Theres only been enough people to do 2 or 3 player games. We all wear face coverings. The RPG group is also meeting so we're not the only ones there.

Its all I got right now.

Maybe where you are it makes sense I dunno. With numbers spiking wildly in the US it's going to be a long ass time before I'm meeting up with people to play games personally.

On a not unrelated note, I've got a trade lined up for B-17 Flying Fortress Leader. It's a solitaire WW2 game where you manage bomber squadrons through campaigns. I'm pretty excited about it.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I'm meeting up with my game group in person for outdoor activities six feet apart with no shared surfaces. Croquet, Pickleball, lawn chat, maybe eventually some electronic code names on cell phones.

The builder in carcassone must be played on a road or city you currently have a dude in. It does nothing when played. On subsequent turns you get a second turn in a row (but never a third) if you extend the road or city.

sig.gif
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Anyone have an suggestions on a racecar board game? Is Downforce a good choice for a casual game>?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Anyone have an suggestions on a racecar board game? Is Downforce a good choice for a casual game>?

Formula D is the only one I can name

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

I hear a ton of god things about Downforce from Jamey Stegmaier's YT videos but have never played it myself.

For casuals? It's pricey but PitchCar is always a crowd-pleaser. If you like flicking.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
      AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
      Vyolynce wrote: »

I hear a ton of god things about Downforce from Jamey Stegmaier's YT videos but have never played it myself.

For casuals? It's pricey but PitchCar is always a crowd-pleaser. If you like flicking.

It's funny how misreading a single word can give one an entirely different idea of how a game is intended to play out.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular

Formula D is super friendly to non-gamers (shift up/down, roll a die, stops in corners).
      PitchCar is even more friendly, but more investment in cost and setup time (but way worth it when you can do it).
      Downforce is a 'racing' game, but "your" car winning is not as important as picking the car that will win. You pick a car at the start and midway that you think will win and get points based off how good your guesses are. If "your" car does well, you get a bonus on top. Not a ton of rules, but still more complex/thinky than either of the other two.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      So many options! Thanks for the help. I think I'm leaning between Formula D and Downforce.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
        Biggest problem in Formula D is that if you get behind and out of the pack, it's near impossible to catch up again.

Steam ID: Webguy20
        Origin ID: Discgolfer27
        Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
      • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
        More work, but running teams in Formula D is a good way to try and balance things. Each player drives two cars.

4dm3dwuxq302.png