As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

National Protests are Still a Thing Because of [Police Brutality]

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    The wording is very creepy 1930's Germany minus the Nazi part.

Because the Nazis were very much there to fight the "Communist, anarchist, and the leftist."

*shudder*

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Using the word "agitator" sure has some USSR connotations to it

Or red scare red baiting against civil rights protesters
    Some things I've been reading lately have been making me realize that a lot of what we learned in America about the USSR (prior to the internet being as rooted in the world) is propaganda. So yeah I'd rather say the connotations are within our own history than some other country our government had a beef with - a government that openly lies to us over and over.

I'm hoping Trump won't be as brazen as to order US troops to mobilize against the citizens. The National Guard counts in that regard for a lot of people, and they have taken shots at people with "non-lethal" rounds which also counts for other people, but so far the actual national-defense folks haven't been deployed.

But his speech is absolutely going to whip up some of his cultists to act violently. State sponsored terrorism. He'll wash his hands of it saying he didn't actually tell anyone, let alone in the government or military, to do anything with a smug smirk.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Ah yes the famous picture of the American flag over the Reichstag

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    Will Steakin is a campaign reporter for ABC

Trump Rushmore speech will slam “left wing mob” trying to tear down “our history," campaign official briefed tells @ABC News

POTUS will argue "left wing mob" and "cancel culture" are pushing "totalitarian behavior...completely alien to American life," source said (not excerpts)

Bruh when they tell people in public speaking classes "you need to project" that ain't what they meant
    Fascism 101 is to insist the fascists don't have any power at a time where they absolutely wield the bulk of government power (if not all of it).

Well of course. When you're Othering you need to portray the Other as simultaneously feckless wimps on the brink of defeat, and also an all-powerful force on the edge of victory over your way of life.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Tweeter is a healthcare worker in OK

Instead of ignoring rape cases, police in OK have decided that they will enable more rapes because their skin is thinner than tissue paper

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Vanguard wrote: »

Instead of ignoring rape cases, police in OK have decided that they will enable more rapes because their skin is thinner than tissue paper

Sounds less like enabling and more like skipping the middleman and doing the raping themselves.

Orca on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Is there evidence the break-in and rape is connected to the doxxing? Cause this is a deeply fucked up story and I'm curious how they connected the two.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Sounds like like enabling and more like skipping the middleman and doing the raping themselves.

Probably a good part of the reason why kits aren't processed...

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Is there evidence the break-in and rape is connected to the doxxing? Cause this is a deeply fucked up story and I'm curious how they connected the two.

Maybe it's a coincidence, but the timing is awful suspect.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Because the Nazis were very much there to fight the "Communist, anarchist, and the leftist."

*shudder*

No "minus the Nazi part" I can see here. It's full on Nazi

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

The rapist said that's why he was doing it to the stranger. Told her to vote differently in the future or something similar.
    At least according the councilwoman's tweets on the matter.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

It happened within two days.

And the vast majority of rapes are from people the victim knows. And not just random strangers breaking into a house or an apartment in the middle of a presumably nice neighborhood where there would likely be surveillance.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    It's become pretty apparent that we probably should disband just about all the police unions and departments. Kill qualified immunity, among many others things. Then we rebuilt the police departments, make it very clear that "us vs them" will not be tolerated, if you're a cop that pulls that thin blue line bullshit shit, you'll quickly be out of job and forced to go into a new career that isn't law enforcement or security.

Also need to do something about shitty racist judges. IMO neither the police or the judges should have a setup where complaints made against them get locked away from public view. It should be public knowledge. If shitty people feel like they can go into law enforcement or be a judge because their name might end up on that public list of "here are shitty people that fucked up and how they fucked up," well probably not someone we want to give such authority to. The lack of consequences has resulted in a bunch of authoritarian pigs doing as they please because we as a society have allowed them to put themselves above the law.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

https://www.google.com/search?q=norman+Oklahoma+councilwoman+rape
    https://www.news9.com/story/5ef88a2095d2e00bbeab238c/norman-councilperson-claims-she-was-the-intended-target-after-neighbor-was-sexually-assaulted

That took 5 seconds of effort. Or you could just click through and read the account.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

in more uplifting news, columbus is down in baltimore

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    It's become pretty apparent that we probably should disband just about all the police unions and departments. Kill qualified immunity, among many others things. Then we rebuilt the police departments, make it very clear that "us vs them" will not be tolerated, if you're a cop that pulls that thin blue line bullshit shit, you'll quickly be out of job and forced to go into a new career that isn't law enforcement or security.

Also need to do something about shitty racist judges. IMO neither the police or the judges should have a setup where complaints made against them get locked away from public view. It should be public knowledge. If shitty people feel like they can go into law enforcement or be a judge because their name might end up on that public list of "here are shitty people that fucked up and how they fucked up," well probably not someone we want to give such authority to. The lack of consequences has resulted in a bunch of authoritarian pigs doing as they please because we as a society have allowed them to put themselves above the law.

I don't really know how to deal with judges. Either conservatives vote them in, which means pretty much anywhere with a conservative majority is fucked because conservatives are racist, or Republicans appoint them and they haunt the courts for decades like a cancer. There's no mechanism to keep a system safe from shitty people, as far as I'm aware, other than actively preventing them from getting in power in the first place. Like, ideally we'd just purge corrupt justices from our courts, but is that something that's even possible without like, full support at every level of our society? That just kind of seems like a fantasy.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

The cop posted her address explicitly to "teach her a lesson," and the assailant told his victim "maybe next time you'll learn your lesson."

I know contrarianism is kind of your thing here, but come the fuck on.

• Options
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

The cop posted her address explicitly to "teach her a lesson," and the assailant told his victim "maybe next time you'll learn your lesson."

What the fuck are you talking about? Never said I doubted the story at all. I was just asking what evidence there was the two were linked because historically the police are not that fast at putting this kind of thing together so it's probably not coming from them. But hey, I guess being a goose is your thing.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

*shudder*

No "minus the Nazi part" I can see here. It's full on Nazi

I mean, yeah. Today was the day my neighbor a couple houses down decided to hang his new flags.

zh0k4xh41vm0.jpg

In related news, anyone know a good place to get some BLM and anti-hate signs that also benefit good charities? I'm looking to buy one or twenty.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

What the fuck are you talking about? Never said I doubted the story at all. I was just asking what evidence there was the two were linked because historically the police are not that fast at putting this kind of thing together so it's probably not coming from them. But hey, I guess being a goose is your thing.

Asking for context why they used the phrase "mistaken as her" really isnt out of line here, and noone has actually provided a source, either.

https://kfor.com/news/norman-pd-investigates-after-city-councilwoman-claims-neighbors-rapist-had-wrong-woman-meant-to-rape-her/

How about an actual news article instead of a twitter rando?

Edit: My bad someone did post an article eventually. But come on, its not on people to go googling for the info when you post a random tweet.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

On what planet are police departments not lightning-fast at lashing out against critics in exactly that kind of highly public, shame-if-something-happened way?

Do you somehow think it takes an organized institution or prolonged effort for a couple of power-tripping assholes with a police database to look up and post an address, or for some blue-line dumbass to get impulsive as a result? I'm not the only one who's lost count of how many times cops have pulled that stunt this past month, much less in general.

• Options

On what planet are police departments not lightning-fast at lashing out against critics in exactly that kind of highly public, shame-if-something-happened way?

Do you somehow think it takes an organized institution or prolonged effort for a couple of power-tripping assholes with a police database to look up and post an address, or for some blue-line dumbass to get impulsive as a result? I'm not the only one who's lost count of how many times cops have pulled that stunt this past month, much less in general.

Again, what are you even talking about? I said the police are historically real bad at rape cases so I was not expecting evidence of the connection between the police doxing and the women being assaulted to be coming from them. Especially not when those connections trace back to actions by police officers.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »

The rapist said that's why he was doing it to the stranger. Told her to vote differently in the future or something similar.
    At least according the councilwoman's tweets on the matter.

I hope to god the rapist is not a cop because if he is your getting real close to mob justice being your only resort.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Hey, how about those protests? July 4th on the national mall looked a little different this year:

KxX4

2CYy

First time I've made the trip from MD to DC for the 4th. As someone independent but right of center on many issues (not on this one but I also know many conservatives harbor distrust of the police. Gun forums were decrying no-knock warrants decades ago. It's just not on brand to talk about it publicly or something), I never expected to join a mostly liberal protest march but 2020 is 2020 so here we are.

The group I started the march with merged with another at the BLM plaza and got really big after that. 10/10, would march again but now I'm quarantining myself for 2 weeks.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Summer Taylor, one of the protesters who was hit on I5 in Seattle, has died

The driver is in custody on felony assault charges currently

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/2-protesters-critically-injured-after-car-drives-into-crowd-i-5/UQCNROPHTRB2DPPEEYJY5YQZAA/

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Summer Taylor, one of the protesters who was hit on I5 in Seattle, has died

The driver is in custody on felony assault charges currently

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/2-protesters-critically-injured-after-car-drives-into-crowd-i-5/UQCNROPHTRB2DPPEEYJY5YQZAA/

I just found out that Summer was known within my social circles. So this hits even closer to home than before.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

I don't really know how to deal with judges. Either conservatives vote them in, which means pretty much anywhere with a conservative majority is fucked because conservatives are racist, or Republicans appoint them and they haunt the courts for decades like a cancer. There's no mechanism to keep a system safe from shitty people, as far as I'm aware, other than actively preventing them from getting in power in the first place. Like, ideally we'd just purge corrupt justices from our courts, but is that something that's even possible without like, full support at every level of our society? That just kind of seems like a fantasy.

There has been quite a lot of conversation about how cultures with different icons, different leadership figures and different belief and value systems shouldn't be on the same country together on the first place. The theory, at least as I've seen it on Trumpland, is that eventually black people are going to ask for their own spaces, separate police force and judicial system....which basically means restoring segregation, which, for them, is "the natural order".

So there's that.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

There has been quite a lot of conversation about how cultures with different icons, different leadership figures and different belief and value systems shouldn't be on the same country together on the first place. The theory, at least as I've seen it on Trumpland, is that eventually black people are going to ask for their own separate police force and judicial system....which basically means restoring segregation, which, for them, is "the natural order".

So there's that.

Well, they can't have this country, we stole conquered stole it by force fair and square!
    Guess it's Liberia again...

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/hundreds-of-armed-men-went-to-gettysburg-to-defend-it-from-a-phantom-antifa-flag-burner-created-on-social-media/2020/07/04/206ee4da-bb05-11ea-86d5-3b9b3863273b_story.html

Militias flocked to Gettysburg to foil a supposed antifa flag burning, an apparent hoax created on social media

GETTYSBURG NATIONAL MILITARY PARK, PA. — For weeks, a mysterious figure on social media talked up plans for antifa protesters to converge on this historical site on Independence Day to burn American flags, an event that seemed at times to border on the farcical.

“Let’s get together and burn flags in protest of thugs and animals in blue,” the anonymous person behind a Facebook page called Left Behind USA wrote in mid-June. There would be antifa face paint, the person wrote, and organizers would “be giving away free small flags to children to safely throw into the fire.”

As word spread, self-proclaimed militias, bikers, skinheads and far-right groups from outside the state issued a call to action, pledging in online videos and posts to come to Gettysburg to protect the Civil War monuments and the nation’s flag from desecration. Some said they would bring firearms and use force if necessary.

On June 22, the far-right website Gateway Pundit published a story claiming that “Antifa domestic terrorists are planning to desecrate the Gettysburg National Cemetery and set the American Flag ablaze on Independence Day.”

Local newspapers also picked up the story.

This town of fewer than 8,000 people grew alarmed. Residents flooded authorities with calls. Local officials pledged to mobilize the town’s entire 20-person police department and bring in others from bordering towns to protect homes, businesses and statues.

Soon, militia groups were vowing to protect the town as well.

I know "haha, what an obvious hoax," but being openly willing to kill people to stop a flag burning is kind of messed up

Couscous on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    There is a hell of an irony to trump bragging about america beating nazi's when he's so happy to chum around with their ideological successors.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    There is a hell of an irony to trump bragging about america beating nazi's when he's so happy to chum around with their ideological successors.

Nothing ironic about it. Just plain ol' unapologetic hypocrisy.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

weird how the Russian asset keeps accidentally sounding like one.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Or red scare red baiting against civil rights protesters

Periodic reminder that legendary evil manipulator Roy Cohn, who was the power behind Joe McCarthy, was also Trump's lawyer for much of his life. Trump's effort to find staff who will measure up to Cohn is an important driver in his hiring and his demand for loyalty above competence. Because that's what Cohn demanded from those who did his bidding.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/hundreds-of-armed-men-went-to-gettysburg-to-defend-it-from-a-phantom-antifa-flag-burner-created-on-social-media/2020/07/04/206ee4da-bb05-11ea-86d5-3b9b3863273b_story.html

Militias flocked to Gettysburg to foil a supposed antifa flag burning, an apparent hoax created on social media

GETTYSBURG NATIONAL MILITARY PARK, PA. — For weeks, a mysterious figure on social media talked up plans for antifa protesters to converge on this historical site on Independence Day to burn American flags, an event that seemed at times to border on the farcical.

“Let’s get together and burn flags in protest of thugs and animals in blue,” the anonymous person behind a Facebook page called Left Behind USA wrote in mid-June. There would be antifa face paint, the person wrote, and organizers would “be giving away free small flags to children to safely throw into the fire.”

As word spread, self-proclaimed militias, bikers, skinheads and far-right groups from outside the state issued a call to action, pledging in online videos and posts to come to Gettysburg to protect the Civil War monuments and the nation’s flag from desecration. Some said they would bring firearms and use force if necessary.

On June 22, the far-right website Gateway Pundit published a story claiming that “Antifa domestic terrorists are planning to desecrate the Gettysburg National Cemetery and set the American Flag ablaze on Independence Day.”

This town of fewer than 8,000 people grew alarmed. Residents flooded authorities with calls. Local officials pledged to mobilize the town’s entire 20-person police department and bring in others from bordering towns to protect homes, businesses and statues.

I know "haha, what an obvious hoax," but being openly willing to kill people to stop a flag burning is kind of messed up

The worst part about it is that it's likely this "mysterious figure" is just a russian bot fomenting division and trying to get people killed. Trump deciding to triple down on racist rhetoric as his path to election victory this fall is only going to make this shit more common and more likely that random civilians get murdered by a vigilante posse of racists "protecting" their town.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Twitter is a activist rando but its pretty hard to mistake whats happening here

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/2020/07/oregon-state-police-dont-wear-coronavirus-masks-as-they-patronize-corvallis-coffee-shop-despite-governors-order.html

We've reached douchebag singularity: Oregon cops openly refusing to wear masks in foul-mouthed defiance of the Governor's order
    The store’s assistant manager, Travis Boss, said he told the first trooper who arrived that the trooper needed to wear a mask.

“Governor Brown has no authority to take our civil liberties. We aren’t going to wear masks,” the trooper allegedly said, according to a written statement from Boss provided to the newsroom.

The trooper proceeded to place his order, Boss said in an interview, offering a foul-mouthed retort to the governor’s mandate that masks be worn within indoor public spaces.

“He said, ‘F--- Kate Brown,’” Boss recalled.

Three other law enforcement officers entered the business moments later and also refused a request to wear masks, Boss said. Boss said he felt compelled to fulfill their drink orders because they were in uniform, even though he said he had sent other patrons away earlier for not wearing masks.

This is literally gross insubordination and an assault under color of authority, and everyone should be fired promptly.

[xpost with Virus thread because it applies equally to both and god damn it please 2020 get out of my face]

madparrot on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

i guess this goes along with a chyron I saw on Fox claiming that the left wanted to destroy (or whatever) Fourth of July.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

i guess this goes along with a chyron I saw on Fox claiming that the left wanted to destroy (or whatever) Fourth of July.

I think they are confusing the left for obscure Batman villain Calendar Man again.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53299847

_113250175_gettyimages-1224873462.jpg

_113250380_gettyimages-1224873467.jpg

Those that fought under Confederate banners went way further than merely burning flags... *ill of irony overload*

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    NebulousQ wrote: »
    OremLK wrote: »
    My main priority, especially in the context of this year's protests and impetus for change, would be to remove the freeways that have split and brutalized minority neighborhoods/areas. And yes, that may sometimes cause problems with shipping and infrastructure. This again (see the article SIG posted) ties in with how poor and minority neighborhoods have been relegated to industrial parts of the city. So I have a hard time overly concerning myself with the problems of corporations in this regard. We can find solutions to the whole "eighteen wheeler on local streets" problem. Make them use smaller trucks or cargo vans instead of semis. Fund public transportation and bicycle infrastructure so that fewer people will be inconvenienced by any increase in congestion on local streets.

Cities in other countries somehow manage to get by without having 16 freeways slicing up their central neighborhoods. We can do it too, if there's a will for change. Not being willing to make those changes is just again saying "the people who live in those neighborhoods matter less to us than what we're getting from the freeways". Which is fucked up. If people need the freeways that bad, make the likes of Beverly Hills bear the burden. But we really, really don't. There are better ways of doing things.

The parallels I am seeing between "Abolish the police" and "Bulldoze the freeways" are interesting. Such a focus on immediately removing something problematic without addressing the systems that surround, perpetuate, and prop up policing or cars and freeways means that just removing policing or freeways is just going to make things worse.

Maybe the police and freeways are both separately so horrible that they need to be removed immediately; I don't honestly know. It is just much more obvious to me how removing freeways immediately would harm everybody immediately and bring us no closer to a solution that has eluded city planners, engineers, and almost everybody for decades.

It's not some fucking mystery where we don't know what to do. Just stop spending billions on car infrastructure, start spending the money on public transit. The issue is that there's no political will to do it, not that we don't know what to do. People currently use cars and it's convenient and they usually don't personally bear the negative outcomes from that decision so they demand more investment in car infrastructure from their local government, and they throw up their hands and say things like "that's impossible" or "it'll just make things worse" when folks say "this might be completely insane" but frankly all I hear is Judge Doom whispering excuses.

While yes this is something we need to do, the prevailing view on transport policy from researchers is that "if you build it they will come" doesn't have the effect sizes needed to actually make transit fully replace single occupancy vehicles. You need to make SOVs worse that transit to really get people to switch over. That's why so much focus has been on carbon taxation and congestion pricing in major metro areas like NYC and London. Cities like Dallas and LA have light rail already in place, but it costs an absolute metric fuck ton to expand it to the point that it's more convenient than cars. And the price is important because 1) public transit doesn't turn in a profit for the most part by itself and 2) the huge capital cost makes the debt service so high that cities just can't do it regardless whether they want to or not. The fed has to really step in and provide the capital, but until they do you won't see enough movement to offset new SOVs without taxation on car use.

Let's not forget that carbon taxes have to exclude the transport sector and are vastly unpopular with the populace. After Macron had a harsh lesson about the inelastic nature of the fuel market, don't see many countries in a hurry to try. Also, if this and the coronavirus pandemic has shown something, is that the US Federal Government is vastly limited on their capacity of telling the states what to do.

The federal government doesnt need to mandate public transit. Most cities want to provide transit but the costs impede them. Capital subsidies, larger federal cost sharing, among other policies can help localities along.

Carbon taxes and congestion pricing will always be unpopular with the general populace because they inherently make it less convenient to use SOVs. We already have a federal, and in my places a state, carbon tax on transportation: the gas tax. it just hasn't been increased to keep up with inflation or the social welfare cost of using gasoline. But pricing policies are what need to pass in order to actually shift consumer preferences away from SOVs and toward transit. It's not enough to just build the transit.

Have there been studies done on this?

I drive because public transit sucks. Making it more expensive to drive won't make me switch to transit; it'll just make my life more expensive.

I lived in Christchurch, NZ for about three months just after college, and I loved the bus system there. It was convenient (mostly), reliable, clean, and safe.

My main experience with city buses in the US involves a 3 hour round trip to get groceries, with the added bonus of feeling like I need a shower immediately afterwards.

edit: removed old draft

Calica on
This discussion has been closed.