As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Listen to a [podcast] on the commute from your couch to your kitchen

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    this "season" is going to be a fucking shitshow

I cannot wait

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    HDTGM Peanut Butter solution update:

All of the second opinions were from people who thought they hallucinated the movie, or who couldn’t convince their friends it was real, just like this thread.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The specific way Druckmann has framed all criticism of his incredibly successful, lauded game so that the extremely valid critiques of it's handling of violence and wildly transphobic storytelling choices are lumped in with Gamergate shitbirds yelling about a lady being buff is just unspeakably gross and frustrating.

And that doesn't even get into the Naughty Dog labor shit

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I am watching Michael for this week's Blank Check

Nora Ephron is such a weirdo, goddamn

every movie of hers has been just completely wild, except for maybe This is My Life

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Klansman Sorghum Boglord or whatever the fuck

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Klansman Sorghum Boglord or whatever the fuck

how'd he get out of Dyvayth Fyr's corpus basement?

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    When I was a kid and saw photos of mt Rushmore I was like oh that must be in one of those really arid scree-ridden mountain areas above the treeline, because it never occurred to me that even the sort of people inclined to carve giant 18th century heads into a mountain would just, leave all the rubble to fall down and bury the goddamn forest beneath it.
    It’s nowhere near the grossest thing about that carving, but it is emblematic of the depressing half assedness of the venture. Hired a fucking klansman who didn’t even get around to all the heads you wanted, and can’t pick up after himself.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    God, I want the waypoint last of us pod so bad rn

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I always thought the monument was waaay bigger, what a pathetic little thing to get self-righteous about. Give the damn land back you whiners

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Very fucking late, but I watched some Evangelion yesterday with a friend and I've started listening to the Waypoint coverage of it, and goddammit Rob you were corrected early on that her name is pronounced Ah-Ska, not Ah-su-ka. He doesn't even try to correct it.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    people always talk about rushmore as though it's this ancient monument but it's just 79 years old

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Haha, this is what inspired The Last of Us 2?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/video-games/news/the-last-of-us-part-2-ellie-evolution/
    The formulation for Ellie’s turn toward darkness can be traced back to the year 2000. Then, in his late teens, Druckmann witnessed news footage of a crowd lynching two Israeli soldiers in the West Bank. “And then they cheered afterward,” Druckmann, who grew up in Israel, recalls. “It was the cheering that was really chilling to me. … In my mind, I thought, ‘Oh, man, if I could just push a button and kill all these people that committed this horrible act, I would make them feel the same pain that they inflicted on these people.’"

The feeling faded, though. Eventually, he looked back and felt “gross and guilty” for his intense feelings. With “The Last of Us Part II,” he wanted to explore that emotional tumult on a didactic level.

“I landed on this emotional idea of, can we, over the course of the game, make you feel this intense hate that is universal in the same way that unconditional love is universal?” Druckmann says. “This hate that people feel has the same kind of universality. You hate someone so much that you want them to suffer in the way they’ve made someone you love suffer.”
    Like killing two soldiers who were members of an occupying force was what made him extremely mad and the lesson he took from that does not seem to have anything to do with why the people did it

Edit: And then basically reducing it to just being about tribalism as a both sides are bad thing instead of, you know, everything

Couscous on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Druckmann strikes me as not a particularly deep thinker, but also someone who would like to be thought deep

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Haha, this is what inspired The Last of Us 2?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/video-games/news/the-last-of-us-part-2-ellie-evolution/
    The formulation for Ellie’s turn toward darkness can be traced back to the year 2000. Then, in his late teens, Druckmann witnessed news footage of a crowd lynching two Israeli soldiers in the West Bank. “And then they cheered afterward,” Druckmann, who grew up in Israel, recalls. “It was the cheering that was really chilling to me. … In my mind, I thought, ‘Oh, man, if I could just push a button and kill all these people that committed this horrible act, I would make them feel the same pain that they inflicted on these people.’"

The feeling faded, though. Eventually, he looked back and felt “gross and guilty” for his intense feelings. With “The Last of Us Part II,” he wanted to explore that emotional tumult on a didactic level.

“I landed on this emotional idea of, can we, over the course of the game, make you feel this intense hate that is universal in the same way that unconditional love is universal?” Druckmann says. “This hate that people feel has the same kind of universality. You hate someone so much that you want them to suffer in the way they’ve made someone you love suffer.”

huh, so I was right about it being from that specific incident

I'm going to excuse myself from commenting on this further for a bunch of reasons

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Druckmann strikes me as someone who made some well regarded games and thinks his shit doesn't stink because of it, no matter how foul it becomes.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    neil druckmann's views on israeli soldiers being lynched and the west bank in general will, inescapably, be coloured by his identity as an israeli-american

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So, I've been really enjoying Blank Check.

How is their coverage of the MCU?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    We're gonna have some very normal racing tomorrow with vettel starting from 11th

Suddenly Midfield Ferrari is simply a lot

it makes up for my one complaint of the qualifying which was that I was REALLY ready to dump on stroll for still not making it into Q3 with the Tracing Point and that mf went and drove his damn car adequately

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    There is a time and a place where fireworks can be nice and good and it’s never going to be anywhere around where people are trying to sleep.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    We're gonna have some very normal racing tomorrow with vettel starting from 11th

Suddenly Midfield Ferrari is simply a lot

it makes up for my one complaint of the qualifying which was that I was REALLY ready to dump on stroll for still not making it into Q3 with the Tracing Point and that mf went and drove his damn car adequately

But of course, he was showing signs that he told potentially be top 5 and choked it in q3

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Fireworks are very bad for dogs and people with munitions based trauma even when they arent trying to sleep and you might be surprised how many people in the latter category there are

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• Options

Yep! Extremely normal

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    no wheels fell off even!

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    All the wheels definitely stayed on, and none of them exploded

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Extremely excited to find out what y'all are talking about when I get off work

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Race spoilers
    Lando Norris said gamers rise up (to the podium)

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    listening to the beastcast

vinny sounds uh

like he's not doing great!

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Like he's sick, or like he's going stir crazy, or...?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

He very badly needs a vacation, and at one point he and Alex mention that they’ve both considered whether it’s morally justifiable to continue working in the games industry

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    An open question

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

He very badly needs a vacation, and at one point he and Alex mention that they’ve both considered whether it’s morally justifiable to continue working in the games industry

They could transition to covering the tabletop gaming industry, er I mean the comic book industry, uhh something else!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Perhaps a corollary to 'there is no ethical consumption under captialism' applies to production as well.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

When Vinny quits, I think GB dies for me

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i don't think that any industry is safe from the problems in question, that's sort of the whole thing.

it's such a huge systemic issue that permeates all of society. video games are just the one they're closest to so it hits the closest to home.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Race spoilers
    Lando Norris said gamers rise up (to the podium)

Race Spoilers
    7fd36370948c3c7a3e5b689d2a3b51a7.jpg
    975c2fee5b98d8273e3ab5bda7565f77.jpg

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Race spoilers
    probably a good sign that red bull is behind its junior team right

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    just gonna pretend everyone's talking about these
    dk4uoitn9nic.jpg

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular

As someone with a single kid and working from home. There is zero decompression time. I can kinda do something for a single hour a day if I'm not totally exhausted.

psn: PhasenWeeple
This discussion has been closed.