As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I bought like 150 grams of smoked salmon so I shall be attempting some sort of avocado smoked salmon beast tomorrow :D

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I made sushi, from scratch, by myself, definitely.

rquau8mapksk.png

It was challenging, but you know, I think it was worth it in the end.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    It’s sushi time!

First, the results of my gravlax (cured salmon)
    UiO8vPJ.jpg

It’s good! It wound up with just the texture I expect from smoked salmon, and it tastes nice (after I remembered to wash off the excess cure, haha). That little project was worth trying at any rate.

And the sushi itself.
    3KFRiay.jpg

Haven’t eaten yet, but I know each component to be nice, so I have high hopes. They are (from front to back) a Philadelphia roll with salmon and cream cheese, a sweet potato tempura roll with avocado and cucumber, and one with a Japanese-Style rolled omelette, also with avocado and cucumber.

This was a tricky project, but satisfying to finish. My roll isn’t near as tight as a professional’s, but I think it looks nice for a first attempt in years.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Meatloafs in the oven and I can smeeeeelllll iiiiiittttttt.

Wow, those rolls look SUPER tight, Enlong!

signature.png
    edited June 2020
    Aww, thanks! I have seen the rolling done in the past, so I had some idea of how to press it as I went. It held up nicely, though the leftover pieces have slightly flattened under their weight.

They turned out really tasty; totally worth the effort. Now that I’ve done it once, I think I’ll be trying this more in the future. Maybe one day I’ll be brave enough to try it with raw fish. Making my own rice for sushi was definitely a worthwhile effort. It has such a distinct flavor.

I think for sheer flavor, the salmon ones were my favorite, but the texture on the sweet potato tempura was lovely.

Enlong on
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I should go cook up a batch of sushi rice as lunch for tomorrow. Not like, actual sushi, but I can make the rice.

I ate an engineer
    edited June 2020
    milski wrote: »
    I should go cook up a batch of sushi rice as lunch for tomorrow. Not like, actual sushi, but I can make the rice.

It’s versatile.

Throw some veggies and stuff on top, and you’ve got a makeshift poke bowl goin’.

Side note; i should look into making some proper Hawaiian poke tuna, because damn does that look delicious.

Enlong on
    I did it! And chopped up some carrots with a couple scoops of the rice and some soy sauce for dinner tomorrow.

I ate an engineer
    Voila!

bar58qy1xshy.png

...OK that's the anniversary sushi :lol:

My smoked salmon and avocado (and cucumber) rolls

a9d7ytl3qjiq.png

I feel like my first roll had the toppings arranged nicer, but here the sushi itself is plated better.

Smoked salmon really is a good alternative to working with fresh fish; it scratches the itch. I should probably have reviewed a video on the rolling a bit more before I got started, but it ended up OK

signature.png
    Yeah. Smoked or cured salmon (the latter being considerably easier to make wirbout a smoker) is a really nice option if you don’t completely trust the quality of raw fish in your area.

I'm proud of how many people participated last week (not just for sushi!)

Burger recipes are up! It's a very Canada Day / Fourth of July sort of recipe? :D I tried to choose a wide range of burger recipes but would appreciate if y'all suggested ones of your own

signature.png
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/basic-veggie-burgers Tyler Kord's veggie burger patties are very good.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    Good job suggesting that Bob's Burgers book. Gotta love puns that actually work as a burger. The ones that look best to me from it right now would be the "chevre which way but loose burger" and the "Edward James olive-most burger".

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'd have liked to join you all on your burger adventure, but 1. my kitchen doesn't have nearly the ventilation I need to do a proper cast iron smash burger and B. my one curse is that I live too close to too many awesome burger joints and iii. I had a powerful craving for chili dogs on the fourth of July.

w3x94ct9gqf6.png

I'd have taken some of the potato chips out of the bag and put them on the plate, but I like to think that we can all be honest with each other here in the Cook Club thread.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    I am making some pulled pork burgers tomorrow. Not what I originally had planned but we have a pork shoulder in the fridge!

signature.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Buns are out of the oven
    Burgers are in.

I'm excited.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I will make smash burgers next week. I ain’t celebrating shit this year.

We ate sukiyaki and Thai food instead this weekend, no ragrets.

sarukun on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

mediocre plain beef burgers.

with homemade buns! buns so goooood

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Burgers came out great, I also used this as an opportunity to make.my own buns which I think helped make everything taste even better.

I96u1n1l.jpg

Bun shots: http://imgur.com/a/NoSsp40

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I have returned to this thread, with burger!

Ground pork patty, a thick layer of sharp cheddar, and a slaw of red onion, jalapeños, cucumber, and green apple, lightly dressed with chipotle mayo. There's some extra chipotle mayo under the patty.

jgeis on
    Did anyone try the KAF buns?? They just look so good right out of the oven, it's crazy

kw5clmswneog.png

signature.png
    Yeah, that's the buns that I did.

They looked soooo good and tasted even better.

finishing them off tonight with some pot roast.

but i'm definitely thinking i'm gonna make them again for sloppy joes and other things.

I also did those buns, but it was hot and dry this weekend so I'm thinking I didn't use enough water. They came out more like biscuits than the ones you both made.

i did the full amount of water, and then just kneaded in some bench flour as it felt like it needed.

i'm having another one tonight with my roast beef and gravy

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Bison burgers happened last night. Not the best ever but turned out pretty good
    http://imgur.com/a/RAP3mBl

Doodmann wrote: »
    I also did those buns, but it was hot and dry this weekend so I'm thinking I didn't use enough water. They came out more like biscuits than the ones you both made.

I had to really resist adding more flour-- and heavily greased my hands instead when shaping. :D

Gazpacho recipes are up! I've never tried gazpacho before so I'm excited to try. :lol:

signature.png
    edited July 2020
    I think I'm going to attempt this one tonight:

https://youtu.be/idOKFJN9wtQ

Doodmann on
    edited July 2020
    6J2Q6Eyh.jpg

vyOV5YJh.jpg

Black bean burgos! Delicious!

You can't see, but I fried the bottom in mustard, just really getting that flavor soaked through.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
    I guess since it wasn't technically on any of the recipes and was basically a mishmash of two other recipes, here y'all go.

Ingredients:
    • 2 Lbs black beans
    • 1/3rd cup Feta Cheese
    • 2 Eggs
    • 1/2 cup oats
    • 1/4 cup walnuts (any nut or grainey binder will probably do)
    • 1 cup sweet or white onions
    • Like 8 sprigs of green onion cut to the point it starts getting leafy instead of solid
    • A fuckton of garlic
    • 1 Tbsp oil (I used sesame oil, olive oil is fine)
    • 1/2 cup any other filler vegetable (I used more white onions)
    • 4 Tbsp of liquid of some kind. I used 1 tbsp liquid smoke, just over 1 tbsp maple vinegar, just under 1 tbsp worcestershire, and 1 tbsp soy sauce. Acceptable alternatives are ketchup, mustard, barbeque sauce, maple syrup, molasses, probably lemon juice, anything.
    • Salt and pepper to taste.
    • Butter
    • Buns
    • Cheeses to taste
    • Condiment and Toppings to taste

Recipe:
    • Drain and rinse the black beans, then heat at like 320 for 10-15 minutes. They should be pretty dry and cracking out of their shells, this is fine.
    • Fry the bolded list of aromatics on medium-mediumhigh for a few minutes, putting in the garlic a little after the rest.
    • Mix the fried stuff with the 4 tbsp liquid, eggs, feta cheese, oats, walnuts, and salt+pepper into a food processor and pulse until mostly smooth with some chunky bits.
    • Mix half the beans in and again, pulse until mostly smooth with some large bean chunks
    • Mix the final half of the beans in and pulse 5-10 times, enough there are a few whole beans but they're well mixed.
    • Hand mix the bean patty material thoroughly.
    • For burgs, start by getting a well-squished-together 1/3rd cup of bean patty and plopping it onto some saran wrap. Using the edges of the saran wrap, smash the patty to a flatter, bun-sized disc.
    • On a medium heat skillet, melt half a tablespoon of butter, then, if you're fancy, spread a little bit of your favorite condiment onto the skillet itself.
    • Plop the patty onto the topping/butter mixture, cooking for four minutes.
    • Flip with a spatula (it shouldn't break down, but might; flip all pieces), add whatever cheeses you want on top of the patty, and cook for three minutes.
    • Place onto buns, top, and serve.
    • Grill the buns if you want to, I'm not your dad.

I ate an engineer
    Made my gazpacho-- was going to do fully blended, but the chunky recipes with Worcestershire sauce and balsamic honestly sounded more appealing. It's chilling in the fridge now

signature.png
    it keeps getting close to freezing here. and i can't eat raw tomatoes. so.

prob will not be doing this week

lol

It's hard juggling seasonal recipes :lol: sorry Ahava!

signature.png
    I have gazpached:

I was really ready to be meh of gazpacho and I was wrong. What a great food for when it's hot out!

E8EKBfM.jpg

I really need a bigger blender.

I like the taste of yellow peppers over red so I added those instead. But the result is less reddish! Alas
    zcwu2cbv08e6.png

signature.png
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Doodmann those potatoes look incredible. Butter and rosemary?

Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Doodmann those potatoes look incredible. Butter and rosemary?

Butter, garlic, shallots, thyme, S/P

edited July 2020
    Pavlova recipes are up. The debate about its origins are fierce online

Also pavlova (and lemon curd, if you're making) apparently can be prepared in advance and last several days, so long as the toppings aren't added in. So... I will probably make a giant one to consume over more than one day :lol:

More suggestions on recipes, please!

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    I think I'll be making my pavlova tomorrow afternoon. I was disappointed to find absolutely no fresh strawberries at two different grocery stores, but I got some other fruits to put on top. I think I'm going to do more of a fruit sauce/macerated fruit topping instead of fresh.