As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - And/Or Furious

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - And/Or Furious

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    darthewokdarthewok Registered User regular
    Can someone explain the double entendre? For, uh, Gabe's sake?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The creativity with their long distance conversations has been great.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I'm probably super duper wrong here, but the only double entendre that I can think of associated with "green" would be a Hulk fetish. Or SheHulk. Or Jolly Green Giant.

Or maybe the entendre isn't on "green" and I have no clue whatsoever.

I think we can just chalk this one up to one of Tycho's obscure fetishes.

• Options
    MusicMusic Registered User regular
    This notion is how the title And We Go Green came about. Not only does it signal the start of our races, but it also indicates an urgent need to put the brakes on devastating and irreparable damage already caused by fossil fuels.
    --Alejandro Agag

• Options
    zeromhzeromh Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was gonna say "green light" and "environmentally green."

• Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    Double entendres don't have to be naughty, it turns out.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Double entendres don't have to be naughty, it turns out.

And I think that's another beautiful part of the comic, as I imagine in his head Gabe is running through all sorts of pervert thoughts trying to find the hidden penis joke.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Double entendres are always dirty if you try hard enough.

• Options
    MalyonsusMalyonsus Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    This is unsupported by common usage, I think, but my idiolect wants to distinguish "double meaning" and "double entendre", with the latter being risque, possibly because of how French it is.

Malyonsus on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Malyonsus wrote: »
    This is unsupported by common usage, I think, but my idiolect wants to distinguish "double meaning" and "double entendre", with the latter being risque, possibly because of how French it is.

By definition, literally, you are correct. Now let's assume our writer also knows this. Ipso facto henco forthwith rightfact there is indeed something perverted in there, and we must find it!

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Malyonsus wrote: »

Dictionaries seem to back you up on this.

• Options
    TheSchaefTheSchaef Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    By definition, literally, you are correct. Now let's assume our writer also knows this. Ipso facto henco forthwith rightfact there is indeed something perverted in there, and we must find it!

"You are technically correct: the best kind of correct."

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    When I eat too much asparagus I "go green".

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    TBF, knowing Tycho, he might think the double entendre is about lizards. Or aliens. Or lizard aliens.

OctoberRaven on
    Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    zeromhzeromh Registered User regular
    My guess would be that Jerry knows that "double entendre" *usually* involves something risque, but he finds the phrase much more fun than "double meaning" and so he uses it even when nothing risque is involved.

Choosing to express a thought using an uncommon connotation of a flavorful phrase borrowed from French, when a more banal English expression would be slightly less ambiguous? This sounds Jerry AF to me.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    For Tycho, all wordplay is naughty.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Music wrote: »
    This notion is how the title And We Go Green came about. Not only does it signal the start of our races, but it also indicates an urgent need to put the brakes on devastating and irreparable damage already caused by fossil fuels.
    --Alejandro Agag

Traditionally, they'd wave a solid green flag to start the race, and a black and white checkered flag to signal the end (what's interesting is that this works for every variety of colorblind despite dating back to the 19-aughts).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Gabe's rig is becoming ridiculous...but still no three monitors.

• Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
  • Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    The exact definition of "double entendre" aside, I really like the use of white background in the first panel. It lets the reader imagine for a brief merciful moment that what we're seeing is Gabe's in-game avatar, rather than the man himself wearing full gear to play a video game.

• Options
    GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    The exact definition of "double entendre" aside, I really like the use of white background in the first panel. It lets the reader imagine for a brief merciful moment that what we're seeing is Gabe's in-game avatar, rather than the man himself wearing full gear to play a video game.

It also makes it seem like he took a really long time thinking in the second panel. Much like Homer Simpson when someone calls him slow.

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    Thanks to the comments section for explaining this one. The only thing I could think of was Formula E also meaning ecstasy or something.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Thanks to the comments section for explaining this one. The only thing I could think of was Formula E also meaning ecstasy or something.

The E is for Erotic.