As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I just managed to horribly crack my Moto G7's screen. How difficult is that sort of thing to replace by hand? I've been quoted $110 to get it repaired, but it looks like I could buy a replacement screen myself for like $45 so if it's reasonable to do myself I'd prefer that option.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Check some videos. You'll need a heatgun and don't try to keep it in one spot or you'll damage the digitizer.

If you really want to do it, you could maybe buy 1-2 "for parts" phones from eBay to test on.

I'm all for people teaching themselves how to do new things, so go for it!

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Yeah, not going to bother with a heatgun.

I guess my new question is whether I should go for the $110 repair or just get a new phone, like say a $200 Moto G Power.

Having to replace (or pay nearly the original cost to repair) my phone after 5 months just feels terrible, regardless.

edit: I was just on the phone with someone and it sounds like I might have messed up the speaker as well, so that makes my choice of what to do easier.

edit: Went ahead and ordered a Moto G Power. And it just hit me right at this moment that it'll probably come with a version of Google Maps that doesn't have the slide-out menu, with no option for me to get it back like I did on my current phone by reverting to the factory version and disabling updates. Fuck.

jothki on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    So Google has discontinued the Pixel 3a. If you’ve been thinking about getting one and you can find it in stock, buy it up before it’s gone forever.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    So Google has discontinued the Pixel 3a. If you’ve been thinking about getting one and you can find it in stock, buy it up before it’s gone forever.

I didn't think they would do that until after the 4a was released. I wonder if it had stopped selling or something.

• Options
    a nu start wrote: »
    Picked up a Moto G Power because I got tired of the battery life on my Pixel 3 XL. Jesus, why can't flagships get this kind of battery life? Even with a battery case, my old phone got to the point where it could barely get me through a normal day (much less a slow stay-at-home day).

Going HAM on this new phone and the battery is lasting for... eh... ver.

I charged my 3a 21 hours ago and I still have 42% left.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »

I didn't think they would do that until after the 4a was released. I wonder if it had stopped selling or something.

I just bought one after hearing about more 4a delays. Seems pretty solid so far.

• Options
    SirToasty wrote: »

I just bought one after hearing about more 4a delays. Seems pretty solid so far.

I've been happy with mine.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I need a new phone but I don't think I can bring myself to buy 3or 3a since they're going to have less than 2 years of OS support left in their lifecycle. Not when the 4a should be out soon.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I noticed that the 3a has already disappeared from the deals offered by Google for Fi. I'm surprised about the turnaround for that.

edit: Ah, it looks like they actually stopped manufacturing it earlier, and finally ran out of stock for it now.

jothki on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Thoughts?

https://www.reddit.com/r/android/comments/hl0dan/_/

Keep in mind the Reddit Android community is very big on modding/unlocking/etc.

I tried Kiwi for a while but ended up dropping it for Opera due to some weird functionality issues on certain websites.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Kiwi browser is by far the best for Android currently.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I really like Firefox on Android. I liked it enough that I switched over to firefox on desktop also and I don't regret it.

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    anyone used youtube vanced? the description there hits a lot of things i would like.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Firefox on Android also supports Add-Ons such as Ublock Origin. Something to keep in mind.

On that note, I've been using Blokada (https://blokada.org/) on my phone for at least a year and have nothing but good things to say about it. In the rare instances I've had issues, the whitelist functionality works well.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    It looks like the Russian Samsung website has accidentally leaked official images of the Note 20. The colour in the images looks really nice.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Firefox on Android also supports Add-Ons such as Ublock Origin. Something to keep in mind.

On that note, I've been using Blokada (https://blokada.org/) on my phone for at least a year and have nothing but good things to say about it. In the rare instances I've had issues, the whitelist functionality works well.

awesome. I'm going to give Blokada a try because man do I hate it when I launch a youtube video in the youtube app and it starts with an ad
    EDIT: :( it doesn't seem to block the youtube ads

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    You can only block youtube ads with root and a replacement app, IIRC. Even a pi-hole can't block them.

Or you can pay for YT Premium.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I pay for premium. It's not that much money plus it gets me background play. Plus fuck ads.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    The Pixel 3a sure went away super suddenly. I was due for a new work phone (still rocking the OG Pixel) and its battery just now is starting to run poorly. My work's refresh page currently only offers one android phone, the Galaxy S10e. Wondering if/when a Pixel 4a will be available because I'd rather have vanilla android and faster security and feature updates

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    The Pixel 3a sure went away super suddenly. I was due for a new work phone (still rocking the OG Pixel) and its battery just now is starting to run poorly. My work's refresh page currently only offers one android phone, the Galaxy S10e. Wondering if/when a Pixel 4a will be available because I'd rather have vanilla android and faster security and feature updates

supposedly the rumor mill is now july 15th-ish

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Cauld wrote: »
    anyone used youtube vanced? the description there hits a lot of things i would like.

I ended up installing youtube vance. It was a bit of a process since it's not in the play store, but so far it works well. No ads and background play both work as advertised.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »

They stopped production on it months ago. Presumably they just sold out of their remaining stock.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Anyone ever had an issue with their phone continuing to vibrate as if it's ringing after answering a call? My V30 has done that a couple of times, once a couple of weeks or so back, and once just now; and just now it didn't stop even when the caller hung up and called back, and I had to reboot the phone. Otherwise it was working fine, still answering the calls and responding as it should.

Now I think about it, it only vibrated as if it were set to vibrate only, but it wasn't set to that, it was set to audible. Huh.

Jazz on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Jazz wrote: »
    Anyone ever had an issue with their phone continuing to vibrate as if it's ringing after answering a call? My V30 has done that a couple of times, once a couple of weeks or so back, and once just now; and just now it didn't stop even when the caller hung up and called back, and I had to reboot the phone. Otherwise it was working fine, still answering the calls and responding as it should.

Now I think about it, it only vibrated as if it were set to vibrate only, but it wasn't set to that, it was set to audible. Huh.

Sounds like the ringer software in the OS is sluggish. I know my LG G6 is sometimes. :sad:

Does anyone here use an LG V50? I'm thinking of picking an unlocked one for T-Mobile--I don't think I'd miss Wifi calling (not having Visual Voicemail would be a bigger complaint), and the burn-in in my LG G6+ is getting annoying enough (thanks, OLED).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    My Pixel 2 is starting to show it's age. Is the Motorola Moto G Stylus any good? I'm looking at the specs and the phone looks a little better than my Pixel 2, but I don't fully know the difference between Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 SM6125 and Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 MSM8998. But it's only $200 and would actually stay plugged in when I need it to. Right now the Pixel 2 won't charge in my car because ANY movement knocks the cable loose.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    On a whim I decided to see if one could actually purchase a high-end smartphone that wasn't manufactured in China or a Chinese-owned company.

The results were not promising.

• Options
    On a whim I decided to see if one could actually purchase a high-end smartphone that wasn't manufactured in China or a Chinese-owned company.

Samsung is South Korean and my Samsung tablet was manufactured in Taiwan.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    LD50 wrote: »

Samsung is South Korean and my Samsung tablet was manufactured in Taiwan.

FYI, the vast majority of "Taiwanese manufactured" smart phones undergo some portion of assembly in Taiwan (with substantial portions in other countries), or, more likely, are manufactured by Honhai Precision ("Foxconn" in the west), a Taiwanese corporation that produces substantial portions of a large number of phones, and basically all of certain generations if iPhone, Nokia, and Xiaomi devices.

They are also the largest electronics manufacturer in the world by volume (and third largest electronics company by revenue), and operate 12 factories in China, including their largest in Shenzhen province, with hundreds of thousands of employees (each in some case), much larger than their factories in other countries.

Source: me, a Taiwanese person (Honhai is probably the biggest company in Taiwan, and this is nearly common knowledge).

(I bought an LG G8, because the V50 is a Sprint exclusive. Fuck.)

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Yeah, the current global supply chain basically means it's nearly impossible to find any smartphone whose core components weren't manufactured in China, even if the assembly itself is done elsewhere.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Actually, I lied. The tablet is marked as made in Vietnam and not Taiwan.

Edit: which may also be made in China, but I don't know how one would tell.

LD50 on
  • Options
    Question: Is this phone made in China?

Answer: Probably, at some point. Unless it's really old.

Question: Was this Taiwanese-manufactured phone made in China?

Answer: Oh, yeah, definitely. What, you think millions of smartphones just pop out of an island of 23 million people that's basically just Abkhazia with more money and better publicity?

• Options
    Actually, it looks like Vietnam made smart devices from Samsung are actually made in Vietnam. I'm sure that there are tons of Chinese components, but they are legitimately manufactured there as the majority of Samsung's manufacturing capacity is out of Vietnam:
    http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=8785

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    So Samsung's unpacked event teaser image kinda confirms that the fold 2 will be show. Im genuinely excited for this. While the first fold was a good proof of concept, it was way too fragile and expensive. however the potential for work use was amazing. If this new version addresses the teething issues correctly, then it will be my next phone.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    My Pixel 2 is starting to show it's age. Is the Motorola Moto G Stylus any good? I'm looking at the specs and the phone looks a little better than my Pixel 2, but I don't fully know the difference between Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 SM6125 and Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 MSM8998. But it's only $200 and would actually stay plugged in when I need it to. Right now the Pixel 2 won't charge in my car because ANY movement knocks the cable loose.

The Snapdragon 6xx series is the lower midrange tier of their processors, while the 8xx is the high end. The 665 is a newer chipset, but will be a downgrade in terms of technical specs, but in day to day operation it’ll be mostly fine. Apps may take half a second longer to launch, it’ll just feel maybe a tad slower, but not a dealbreaker.

But... if photography is at all important to you, the Pixel 2 will take significantly better pictures than the camera in the G stylus. And it won’t be close. Sure, in perfect light, the camera in the G stylus will be “fine”. But if you care at all about photography the G stylus will be a huge downgrade.

Also, it may be worth considering the G Power instead of the G stylus. they’re virtually the same phone, but the G Power gives up what is a very barebones stylus for a 20% larger battery. There’s some difference in the cameras, but as I said if you’re buying the G power or stylus you don’t care about photos already.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    I would imagine that going from a Pixel device to a mid-level phone would be hard if you care about photographs. Pixels are basically cameras that can also make phone calls. I'm spoiled by the camera in mine and can't imagine going with a non-Pixel phone that isn't $1000. I don't even bother taking my regular camera with me on vacation any more because it's such a pain to carry around a camera case and a tripod.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I would imagine that going from a Pixel device to a mid-level phone would be hard if you care about photographs. Pixels are basically cameras that can also make phone calls. I'm spoiled by the camera in mine and can't imagine going with a non-Pixel phone that isn't $1000. I don't even bother taking my regular camera with me on vacation any more because it's such a pain to carry around a camera case and a tripod.

Supposedly now Pixel 4a is going to be announced August 3rd, so there's that.

Who knows!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular

Yeah I have the Pixel 3a XL and my wife as a Nokia mid-range phone and her photos look like crap compare to mine.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pictures on the Pixel 2 are wonderful and I do enjoy taking them of my kids, but my wife has a Pixel 3a currently so I can have her take the pictures for us if we need it.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Dang my impatience. I purchased the Moto G Stylus yesterday and I didn't realize the G Power was that much better and now I can't cancel it even though it hasn't shipped. :(

e: Seems the Stylus has a slightly better camera than the Power? Ah it might be worth it.

urahonky on