As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Most Artisanal of Cozies [Artsy Farts and Crafty Asses]

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I only freaked out a little. Stuff was a little rockier than I anticipated, got a little frustrated at a couple points but hopefully we get some cool shirts out of it! At the very least I learned some valuable lessons I can put to use next time. I kinda also ran out of dye basically by the end, which is when I was going to do my shirts because I anticipated such an event and wanted everyone else's to get done before mine just in case, so my shirts may have some muted colors compared to the others, and probably a lot more white. But whatever lol new shirts!

Edit: I also did not take pictures because I had my hands pretty full but I will try to take pictures of the finished products if I remember.

Metzger Meister on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I used to love to tie-dye, but haven't done it in years. When I was in high school I did a set of sheets for my bed and did the team t-shirts for my math team.

I've realized quarantine is burning me out a bit, and I wanted to do something artsy again. I used to paint (oil in highschool, acrylic more recently) but when we last moved I lost the space to have a craft area and got rid of a bunch of stuff. My wife and son got me a gift set with some acrylics, pencils, and pastels for Father's Day along with some extra brushes and canvases - and it looks like most of the stuff I hadn't tossed in the move were still usable. I then bought myself some watercolors and paper. I'm hoping at some point motivation/inspiration strikes and I can spend a few afternoons and evenings doing stuff, just for relaxation. I haven't touched watercolors or pastels since art class in high school so that should be really interesting - I don't recall being very good at either, but it's always nice to wake up the brain a bit with new things.

I also have my second outside, socially separated, ukulele gathering this week (weather allowing) and that's been very nice.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Ok it's all rinsed! It only took a few hours. I need to do a smaller batch of stuff next time. My shirts turned out pretty meh as expected but everyone else's turned out decent. Some even pretty good! I learned a ton of stuff like I said and I've got some leftover soda ash and urea so I might order some more dyes and stuff if I get some spare pocket change at some point. Next time I'm probably gonna try to get individual colors and better bottles because mixing the colors on the shirt ain't it. Or at least I need more practice.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ok metz.

now

i do this out of love

go to youtube and look up the ChemKnits video tutorial channel.

A lot of her stuff is all about dyeing wool and protein blends, but Rebecca has done quite a few things with dyeing cotton, and even stuff with the tie-dyed kits and stuff.

Join me in my obsession for colour.

O: I'ma do that for sure I've been watching Mr. Tie-dye cuz he has the old hippie vibe I trust but I'm always ready to learn new shit, especially since I can see this being a legit hobby. It's very therapeutic.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    ok metz.

now

i do this out of love

go to youtube and look up the ChemKnits video tutorial channel.

A lot of her stuff is all about dyeing wool and protein blends, but Rebecca has done quite a few things with dyeing cotton, and even stuff with the tie-dyed kits and stuff.

Join me in my obsession for colour.

Whoa dang I needed this!

Lots of beautiful yarn out there, yet somehow if you have a specific color combination in mind shit is bleak.

Shiiirrrrttttsssss

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Looks good!

Also how do i keep forgetting you’re in my neck of the woods now (give or take 60 miles)

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    Cuz I lived in bumblefuck nowhere most of my life!

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    : frown :

edited July 2020
    I mean that with all affection of course, I miss bumblefuck awfully :(

Metzger Meister on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    it dropped to 7C here in the mornings suddenly. Like July 1 hit and the weather went "oh right, meant to be Winter now. I'll get on it" and the morning temps plummetted.

so i've been cobbling together a few patterns and am making myself some fingerless gloves. i can see some ways to improve them next time, get better gauge, etc.

but overall. i'm super happy with how they're working out.

i'm using leftovers from other projects, so they're merino/silk/yak and merino/silk wool. super luxury fingerless mitts.

DIY mask designed by a friend of mine who's been an ICU nurse for over 30 years and a sewist/quilter for longer than that. The pattern is available from her website for $3, or you can PM me for a free copy (she says explicitly to "spread it far and wide," which I'm happy to do).

You'll need the video (below), since the pattern itself doesn't actually include instructions.

https://youtu.be/eHE84YSrNsU

Full disclosure: Judy owns a quilting fabric shop. Like I said, though, I can give you the pattern for free with her blessing.

cp0g2mbc7ij4.jpg

Gloves are all done!

cp0g2mbc7ij4.jpg

Gloves are all done!

I love the rainbow yarn alternating with the gray! It really makes the colors pop.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Dior did their Fall collection in 1:3 scale and holy shit do I wish there were some way to acquire those scaled down gowns for a pleb like me.

https://youtu.be/ZK1hGDkSGJY

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Giving up on ruby making, for now, because I realized my torch is not quite hot enough for it. Oh well.

In other news, I bought some used tools and such. Should be fun to integrate into my set up.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    @Cambiata There was a recent 99 percent invisible episode I think you might get a kick out of:
    https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/a-fantasy-of-fashion-articles-of-interest-7/

Talks about this collection of Fashion dolls that was made after WW2 from France.

PSN: jfrofl
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    cp0g2mbc7ij4.jpg

Gloves are all done!

No, I'm pretty sure you missed a couple bits ... :D

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Radiation wrote: »
    @Cambiata There was a recent 99 percent invisible episode I think you might get a kick out of:
    https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/a-fantasy-of-fashion-articles-of-interest-7/

Talks about this collection of Fashion dolls that was made after WW2 from France.

This is EXTREMELY my jam. I'm only sorry they don't have more pictures.

Also lol at the curator "cringing" at them being called dolls. Don't look your nose down at me Karen, I'll call them fashion dolls if I want!

Edit: There are so many skillsets I want to learn to be able to make this kind of fashion for my dolls. The hardest for me being forging so I can have 1:3 size belt buckles and buttons of my own design.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    So if you guys still haven't heard

If any of you have Craftsy/Bluprint classes, unfortunately it looks like the company is going out of business. There's a letter to customers on the Bluprint front page.

No word yet on what happens to the classes that you may have paid for over the years.

Just, heads up.

So apparently the venture peoples that bought Bluprint have heard back enough from people and Craftsy is staying! Or coming back!

They announced on 1 July that they were keeping access to all purchased classes open.

And then yesterday 8 July it was announced that the classes would remain and that Craftsy as a brand would be coming back in full use with being able to buy classes and supplies etc on or around 1 Sept.

So yay! That's a few hundreds of dollars i'm not losing!

Théâtre de la Mode and Dior's modern version of it for 2020 are so freaking inspiring to me but I just don't have any time for high fashion dolls while I'm trying to spend every waking minute refreshing my tech skills so I can get a job. My parents always used to act like being unemployed was something I did for fun so I wouldn't have to work, but honestly nothing takes away your free time more than not having job stability. I hope I get a job soon so I can start using my free time for crafting again.

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    So if you guys still haven't heard

If any of you have Craftsy/Bluprint classes, unfortunately it looks like the company is going out of business. There's a letter to customers on the Bluprint front page.

No word yet on what happens to the classes that you may have paid for over the years.

Just, heads up.

So apparently the venture peoples that bought Bluprint have heard back enough from people and Craftsy is staying! Or coming back!

They announced on 1 July that they were keeping access to all purchased classes open.

And then yesterday 8 July it was announced that the classes would remain and that Craftsy as a brand would be coming back in full use with being able to buy classes and supplies etc on or around 1 Sept.

So yay! That's a few hundreds of dollars i'm not losing!

"Craftsy" always seemed like a better brand ID than "Bluprint" for what it was anyway. /pedantic comment

Also yay! I'm exicted! I also kiiiiind of want them to bring back the good good dressmaking kits that Craftsy used to have. /dream

Yeah I've been seriously toying with making my own dressform.

I found something through a facebook ad that's called Bootstrap fashion and they'll do customized to your measurements pdf sewing patterns to make your own form.

but since I don't know how to sew.... and I'd be using the form for doing knitwear testing/sizing on.

The Curvy Crochet class on Craftsy had a tutorial with marlee Bird on making your own dressform with an old T-shirt and duct tape.

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Yes, you can definitely do a personalized dressform with duct tape. My mom had one that she made, and it's not terribly difficult. The thing is, you cannot do it alone. You need a partner. So just keep that in mind. She and I were actually talking about doing one for me and maybe a new one for her just last week.

Hey do any of you craft folk know much about lighting? Maybe @tynic ?
    I found a piece of wood that I want to turn into a lamp and while I have a few different LED strips, they have quite a bit of gap between each LED section. I also dont have a lot of space, so the standard 10mm width isn't...ideal.
    jvDOZLO.jpg
    sslVM01.jpg
    8HfSWTN.jpg

Also I made a tray thing that I'm fairly happy with.

And I guess I haven't updated thread a bit with my lame adventures. This was another tray design I was toying around with.

Did you guys also want to do another call this weekend? I sort of forgot the last time we were supposed to do that.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2020
    So first off - is the problem that you can't fit enough LEDs in the space to get the brightness you want, or is it that you don't like the point-light-look?

For the second, I would probably surround the LEDs with something with a high refractive index (you could put them behind some opaque acrylic, or embed them in opalescent resin - anything translucent but not clear, if that makes sense. Hell, silicon would work fine, but might be a bit wibbly).

If it's simply not bright enough - you can definitely get ultra-high-lumen LEDs (they tend to suck down more current and be a bit pricier, but check Adafruit or Digikey), OR if you want to just cram more into the same space, you can buy very fine wire-strung microLEDs (eg https://www.amazon.com/10-Pack-Batteries-Include-Centerpiece-Decoration/dp/B01M1G1G6L/ref=pd_lpo_201_img_0/147-4006295-1937866) and wind them back and forth to get more brightness.
    And then embed them in resin or whatever.

Also I think I'm around this weekend, and I'm sure I have some crafty bullshit to take care of somewhere

tynic on
    batsignal because I forgot: @Radiation

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I finally got around to framing my most ambitions stitching project to date:
    znfxib7wlf1f.jpg

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    tynic wrote: »
    So first off - is the problem that you can't fit enough LEDs in the space to get the brightness you want, or is it that you don't like the point-light-look?

For the second, I would probably surround the LEDs with something with a high refractive index (you could put them behind some opaque acrylic, or embed them in opalescent resin - anything translucent but not clear, if that makes sense. Hell, silicon would work fine, but might be a bit wibbly).

If it's simply not bright enough - you can definitely get ultra-high-lumen LEDs (they tend to suck down more current and be a bit pricier, but check Adafruit or Digikey), OR if you want to just cram more into the same space, you can buy very fine wire-strung microLEDs (eg https://www.amazon.com/10-Pack-Batteries-Include-Centerpiece-Decoration/dp/B01M1G1G6L/ref=pd_lpo_201_img_0/147-4006295-1937866) and wind them back and forth to get more brightness.
    And then embed them in resin or whatever.

Also I think I'm around this weekend, and I'm sure I have some crafty bullshit to take care of somewhere

Was worried about the light density. Even with some light diffusion, the LED's are so spaced out, you'd still see solid points of light. Was thinking at first of getting hdpe tubing or something to thread the LED's through. I was going to fill the void with a clear epoxy.
    Those microLEDs might be the ticket. I'll have to look more into that, and figure out how dense I can pack them without heat generation becoming a problem.

I also thought about doing the EL wire, but the one I have isn't all that bright, and also the power supply has an annoying buzzing sound.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Could you just solder together a chain of 3mm through-hole type LEDs?

edited July 2020
    .yes, definitely, provided you want to mess around with the electronics (I would use sequin LEDs rather than those larger ones, for a bunch of reasons, especially since they already have a regulating resistor built in, but principle is the same). Generally the convenience of having them pre daisy-chained outweighs the flexibility advantage of wiring up your own, especially since you have to accommodate voltage drop and you'd probably want a regulator to limit the current draw. So it becomes a little more involved. For a fixed installation without too many LEDs it could be worth the effort.

Speaking of things that are not worth the effort, you could also use fiber optic cable or fat elastic jewelry cord to diffuse your lighting, but that could get very fiddly very fast so on balance I wouldn’t really advise it,

tynic on
    edited July 2020
    Ooooh, the fiber cable might be neat, just the thread different strands in the clear epoxy void area.
    Is that what you were talking about?
    Edit: something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Novelty-Lighting-Glacier-Color-Changing-Crystals/dp/B01DB632ZE/ref=zg_bs_5486433011_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=H9W29N4HYYE65FDSBZD5

Also Saturday work for crafty hour?

Radiation on
    Yeah, basically! Then I thought about the logistics of lining everything up and it sounded hard. But it’s an option! (The elastic cord works almost as well to transmit/internally bounce the light , and is a lot cheaper and more flexible, so if you wanted to try it out I would suggest starting there first unless there’s a reason you need stiff fibers)
    Sat looks ok for me, i think!

edited July 2020
    @tynic and @Calica this was the tray I was talking about the other night:
    gmHGFki.jpg
    2rOIgxy.jpg

I think it looks pretty great! The height was a bit messed up, but I'm not sure anyone will notice.

Radiation on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Thats super cool.

Could I request oregon?

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Double post

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited July 2020
    You could?
    I'm not certain how to pull the shape out cleanly, but I'll give a go. Any wood preference?
    Edit: taking to messages.

Radiation on
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I have a whole bunch of this style of pattern to do, but they're a bit larger than I'd like for side projects, because it takes more time to do them. I've been doing this for about a year now and it still amazes (and frustrates) me how long it takes to finish even a simple one.
    ei36tm4f957j.jpg

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Knocked this one out pretty quick though. Supposed to be french knots for the stars but I can't figure those out and I'm not breaking myself to make this shitrag 'accurate'

e: added spoiler for inadvertent ridiculously big picture lol
    q10fdcaqseuz.jpg

Chiselphane on