As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

As cool as winter, as hot as summer Dresden and other Books-Cinder Spires 2 is out!

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I've read an advanced copy of Peace Talks, it's regular novel length, nothing to worry about on that front.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I don't understand almost any of that trailer. I guess that means re-read priority just got kicked up a notch.
    Also not to seem ungrateful but sequel to aeronaut's windlass please!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I don't understand almost any of that trailer. I guess that means re-read priority just got kicked up a notch.

Oh, definitely. But Butcher's writing got upended completely and it's understandable that Dresden gets priority there.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Tarantio wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I guess that info is a spoiler, but it's not story related at all so not sure it is either, but suppose I'll go with the crowd (non-story spoiler ahoy)
    Let's hope the books just aren't the shortest ones yet to pull off 2 in one year. Doesn't seem likely, but worse things have happened.

Pretty awesome news, though. Maybe he'll pick up speed again.

Word on the subreddit is that Peace Talks was up to 400k words in the beta readers version
    before the split, which would make both of the resultant books potentially longer than any of the preceding books.

There's also a Question and Answer session, available in video form but also helpfully transcribed here: https://www.reddit.com/r/dresdenfiles/comments/fo859p/comment/flfthja

That seems like a reasonable explanation.

That video was pretty oof, other than the late reveal.

To be fair, the video trailers for the books have been pretty rough since they started doing trailers for books.
    Consider: Skin Game.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8ZUvrIQWuY

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I mean effects companies and acting troupes all gotta start somewhere. It's not like this is financed by HBO.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I mean effects companies and acting troupes all gotta start somewhere. It's not like this is financed by HBO.

One can dream.

camo_sig2.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I never knew they did real-life trailers for the books...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Man, I don't think I've seen an actual video commercial for a book since they were hawking the Stephen King Collection back in the 90's.

RT800 on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Man, I don't think I've seen an actual video commercial for a book since they were hawking the Stephen King Collection back in the 90's.

Well, Dianetics.

Elvenshae wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »

Well, Dianetics.

First one I remember was Shadows of the Empire.
    But then, that book also had a sound track and a full on multi-media presence. The only thing it didn't have was the actual movie. Of course, that trailer is just a bunch of cut together clips from the OT and a voice over.

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular

Started my re-read yesterday after the announcement; and I'm moving onto book 2.

I had completely forgotten how much ground work was laid in book one.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
    Penumbra wrote: »

Started my re-read yesterday after the announcement; and I'm moving onto book 2.

Just started Dead Beat on my reread.
    Pretty sure this is where the covers just add "A Novel of the Dresden Files" instead of "Book X of the Dresden Files".

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Pretty sure this is where the covers just add "A Novel of the Dresden Files" instead of "Book X of the Dresden Files".

And that's exactly how I ended up starting the Dresden Files at Dead Beat, care of my local library.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Tarantio wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I guess that info is a spoiler, but it's not story related at all so not sure it is either, but suppose I'll go with the crowd (non-story spoiler ahoy)
    Let's hope the books just aren't the shortest ones yet to pull off 2 in one year. Doesn't seem likely, but worse things have happened.

Pretty awesome news, though. Maybe he'll pick up speed again.

Word on the subreddit is that Peace Talks was up to 400k words in the beta readers version
    before the split, which would make both of the resultant books potentially longer than any of the preceding books.

There's also a Question and Answer session, available in video form but also helpfully transcribed here: https://www.reddit.com/r/dresdenfiles/comments/fo859p/comment/flfthja

That seems like a reasonable explanation.

That video was pretty oof, other than the late reveal.

To be fair, the video trailers for the books have been pretty rough since they started doing trailers for books.
    Consider: Skin Game.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8ZUvrIQWuY

I tried to watch this. I really did.

I couldn't make it past the absurd accent Mab was doing.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

And now you get the same groundwork in book 2!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    BTW feel free to spoil the big news. I was giving people a chance to be surprised the first day. I will leave that to the rest of the thread to decide.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    Anybody mind if I do some speculating based on the trailer?

I feel the need.

Anybody mind if I do some speculating based on the trailer?

I feel the need.

Feel free, though since it would be for the newest book throw it in spoilers for folks. Just mark it as speculation and such.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    Okay so massive wild speculation about the new Book below

Read at your own risk. Also because many of my ideas are probably crap.
    So the trailer is probably accurate but misleading. The last trailer for the last book turned out to be accurate but misleading. It showed Michael picking up the sword, the cast of thieves, etc. It also showed Harry and Karrin Murphy making love and that turned out to be a dream. And it gave us the greatest quote summarizing Harry's love life: "OH COME ON, NOT EVEN IN THE DREAM??!!"

So from this trailer, we know that Thomas is in the shit. And accused of assassinating someone, and someone important enough to call a large scale meeting instead of just killing him.
    Member of the Black Council maybe? Maybe not. Very probably, since Marcone talks about pursuing his rights, it is someone who works for Marcone.

Of course Lara would want to break Thomas out of that, as would Harry. Harry would lie down in interstate traffic for his family and friends. Which leads to that line that will probably be classic Harry for me (when read by James Marsters) of "Oh I'm more than dumb enough."

But the thing of it is, if Harry breaks Mab's accords and in such a way that it involves bad PR for Mab, Mab wouldn't have been giving him a present for Maggie in that Christmas story. Mab would have Harry on a tree and be doing all kinds of unpleasant things to him to warn the next Winter Knight not to be a moron and fuck things up. Mab doesn't do evil for evil's sake, she pursues guarding reality via the most efficient and ruthless means possible. She also wants her rep maintained. She'll tolerate an attitude. Not fuckups.

So what's Mab's angle in all this?

There's a young woman sitting to Lara Raith's left in the meeting/table scene, I wonder if that's Ivy. She seems to show up every 5th book.

As far as Lara/Harry getting it on. Possible, but likely as misleading as last trailer. Harry doesn't seem like the kind of guy to cheat.

Also its weird that Harry obviously shifts to somewhere else, but things don't seem to change much. Is Harry going to be breaking the 6th Law?

From what I have heard we are going to get to see the senior council let loose in this book, so that should be fun. Probably next book too, given the title.

Also have you guys read the Short Story "Goodbye" ? Jim's right to call it microfiction, but that one hits hard a little. I got a little teary. It also contains massive spoilers, so do not read if you aren't caught up.

• ArdArd Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

And that's exactly how I ended up starting the Dresden Files at Dead Beat, care of my local library.

I did the exact same thing, except I bought it without looking into how many there were.

There's a teaser up on Amazon for Battle Grounds.
    Spoiled for potential Peace Talks spoilers, also Battle Grounds spoilers.
    Harry has faced terrible odds before. He has a long history of fighting enemies above his weight class. The Red Court of vampires. The fallen angels of the Order of the Blackened Denarius. The Outsiders.

But this time it’s different. A being more powerful and dangerous on an order of magnitude beyond what the world has seen in a millennium is coming. And she’s bringing an army. The Last Titan has declared war on the city of Chicago, and has come to subjugate humanity, obliterating any who stand in her way.

Harry’s mission is simple but impossible: Save the city by killing a Titan. And the attempt will change Harry’s life, Chicago, and the mortal world forever.

My dad just finished changes and had to text me just as he finished it.

Such a good book.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I guess the URL really covers it...
    https://www.jim-butcher.com/posts/2020/battle-ground-cover-revealed
    Looks sharp.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Looks sharp.

So that's totally

skin game spoilers I think?
    The spear of longinus
    right?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Looks sharp.

So that's totally

The spear of longinus
    right?

Looks like it. Attached to the top of his staff no less. You can zoom in and see the runes. He’s armed for bear, it seems.

edited April 2020
    KetBra wrote: »
    Looks sharp.

So that's totally

The spear of longinus
    right?
    Possibly, though I think it unlikely. I think that would be saved for book 20 since it ties in really closely with the Denarian lore (assuming they keep the Denarians in every fifth book).
    I mean, there's no real shortage of legendary magic weapons given all the other fantasy lore that Dresden has played in that could be used to slay a titan, I'd imagine it might be something out of Greek myth?

Maybe it's going to be Gugnir, Odin's spear? Seems like he's been around a lot in the recent books.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mythological_objects#Pole_weapons

see317 on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    It’s not like we haven’t seen in the series that different legendary figures can all be different names for the same figure. Wouldn’t be off base to see the same for legendary items too.

It’s not like we haven’t seen in the series that different legendary figures can all be different names for the same figure. Wouldn’t be off base to see the same for legendary items too.

Butcher's done that as well. Looking at you Amoracchius.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

Although
    having Amoracchius also be Excalibur fits nicely while having Odin's weapon also be the Spear of Destiny seems a bit like crossing the mythological streams. It'd also mean that Santa Claus has the weapon that killed/confirmed the death of (depending on what you're reading) Christ... which is kinda creepy.

And from a practical standpoint, Odin was spearing things in Changes, so odds are that they're two different weapons.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • LorekLorek Registered User regular

Although
    having Amoracchius also be Excalibur fits nicely while having Odin's weapon also be the Spear of Destiny seems a bit like crossing the mythological streams. It'd also mean that Santa Claus has the weapon that killed/confirmed the death of (depending on what you're reading) Christ... which is kinda creepy.

And from a practical standpoint, Odin was spearing things in Changes, so odds are that they're two different weapons.

I see what you did there.

Hard to believe after all this time, we are less than a week from a new book.

I’m all caught up on my reread and even finished the anthology editions. The story with Maggie, mouse and Dresden at the zoo was amazing. I’d love to see more of the child world of magic fleshed out.

Mouse POV was great.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Libraries closing really messed up my re-read.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I just finished my reread of everything yesterday. Just have to get through Jacka's latest Alex Verus novel and I'm good to go for more Dresden.

This is happening about 20 minutes from now if anyone is interested.

(Rothfuss is interviewing Butcher about “Peace Talls”)

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Biggest news from that stream:

Butcher is working on a short story for an anthology about Mouse and Cerberus on a doggy play date.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    edit: nvm, I'm not paying enough attention

RT800 on
    Artereis wrote: »

Butcher is working on a short story for an anthology about Mouse and Cerberus on a doggy play date.

The question is who's the POV character?

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Artereis wrote: »

The question is who's the POV character?

Just one of Spot's heads.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I don’t think I remember what happened in the last two books.

I’ll have to dig them out for a refresher.

I’m really excited - the Dresden books were on my list of ‘buy them on day one’ books, and it feels like forever since the last time I saw one on the shelves.

I think I’ll treat myself to the hardback, start filling up my shelves again after going all-kindle in the last year or so.