As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any sufficiently advanced [tech] thread is indistinguishable from a magic thread

19596979899101»

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Up until earlier this year I ~daily wore a Casio G-shock that I've had for 15 years or so. It's on its second strap but it still works good, and has a second time that can be set in half-hour steps for travelling. It ran out of battery during lockdown and I've not bothered fixing it yet. Now that I've not been wearing it I'm not sure I want to go back to big chunky watch but we'll see.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I'd be more open to smart watches and accessories if wireless charging was the norm and I could just slap them all on my nightstand and call it a day.

I do this every night with my Apple watch and phone.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I'm fond of Japanese mechanical watches for daily wear, stuff like Seikos or Miyotas (as well as some of the boutique companies that build semi-custom cases for those movements - wearing an American-assembled watch now that is exactly this) tend to handle abuse and keep time pretty well for a price mortals can actually afford. There are definitely super fancy Japanese hand-built pieces too - a Grand Seiko is basically the Lexus of the watch world and costs as much as its Swiss counterparts - but the mass-produced ones are good enough at their jobs

Swiss and German watches are definitely good, just cost a lot more for the quality eh

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'd be more open to smart watches and accessories if wireless charging was the norm and I could just slap them all on my nightstand and call it a day.

Yea there are dozens of stands designed to hold and charge your phone and watch at the same time.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    the only wireless charger I want is one of those one that looks like a magic circle and lights up when you put your phone on it

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    7mxvkr96n57a.png

Slosh enough electricity around, some of it's bound to get into your phone.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    furlion wrote: »
    pimento wrote: »
    The problem, at least with smart TVs that send your watching data back home via said internettery, is that it costs more not to include the 'smarts' because the manufacturers can't make money off the data they harvest. So the cheaper option is to just buy it with the stuff you don't want and not connect it to your wireless.

Speaking of, my TV died this weekend so we bought a Samsung 4k UHD dildonics HDR for like 500. How do I neuter it? I need it to be able to connect to Hulu, etc, but fuck the ads.

I'd say a pi-hole, but even then you have to unblock some of Hulu's servers from the default blocklists to get it to load video at all.

If you're OK with the ads inside Hulu and just want to block the Samsung junk, then a pi-hole would work. There's a decent guide in H/A about how to set it up, but it will cost you ~$50 or so.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    7mxvkr96n57a.png

Slosh enough electricity around, some of it's bound to get into your phone.

Oh hey, it's Mjolnir.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Yea there are dozens of stands designed to hold and charge your phone and watch at the same time.

I'm not in the apple ecosystem and I will probably never return to it.

However stands are still not what I'm after, I don't want to finagle with lining things up or plugging in cables.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    It's become second nature to plug my watch into its wireless magnetic charging dock every two days much like I plug my phone before bed without even thinking about it anymore. I'd like my next phone to have wireless charging but it's not a deal breaker.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Pretty sure all the higher end Samsung watches use wireless charging docks. I know mine does. I actually thought all smart watches did that to save on space.

furlion on
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Pretty sure all the higher end Samsung watches use wireless charging docks. I know mine does. I actually thought all smart watches did that to save on space.

My Fossil Gen 5 has a little magnetic pad that you just attach to the back to charge it. It's just become part of the nighttime routine - plug phone in, plop watch down, glasses off, bed

It's nice not having to think about it too much other than "sit it on the white plastic pad"

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I’ve started plugging it in when I shower in the morning.

I find I’m more awake and will remember to do that more often than try and plug it in at night.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I use an amazfit bip, which is a cheap but comparatively accurate fitness watch.

I don't find I care too much about some of what it can do, and most of what it can't I wouldn't want to do, but getting a relatively decent approximation of how sleeping overnight went is nice, and the only real day to day thing I care a bout is getting call/text notifications and being able to read texts on it, particularly since I miss them constantly while out of the house, especially while cycling, otherwise.

A single charge that takes like, an hour, lasts between 30 and 60 days depending on how often you choose to use GPS tracking for workouts.

It looks like the Casio of smart-ish/fitness watches, and has a ton of Casio faces you can use because people leaned into that real hard.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

I've gone fully wireless and I'm not looking back. I charge my Apple watch, iPhone and airpods wirelessly.

There's plenty of stuff you can hack by hiding a Qi receiver inside a case or something.

xqkoh8c2yc3z.png

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    As cool as wireless charging is I really hope they continue working to improve efficiency to at least the levels of plugs. Right now a wall adapter is about 85 and wireless is usually around 75, which adds up to a lot of power wasted for millions of devices.

furlion on
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Eyyyy I use this app! Good for them

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I am still grumpy that on August 1st I lose Dark Sky as Apple bought it. I don't know if theres any other weather app I like nearly as much.

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I am still grumpy that on August 1st I lose Dark Sky as Apple bought it. I don't know if theres any other weather app I like nearly as much.

If you find one let me know. I've been using the weather app and it is garbage by comparison.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I've been very happy with Today Weather. Yr is also good but I much prefer Today's widget and overall look.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Finally bought something from amazon where the company wanted to bribe me with a $10 amazon card for a good review. But they didn't contact me through email, I got a letter in my actual mailbox from them.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Looks like it's time to start a new thread.

This discussion has been closed.