As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Lives Matter Thread 4

TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
Keeping things rolling: use content warnings, all cops are bastards, ted cruz is a dipshit, etc etc

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    We weren't surveilling you, we were just watching where you are and reporting your location!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    We weren't surveilling you, we were just watching where you are and reporting your location!

and then selling that information to the police! whoopsie!

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Just in case I wasn't clear, yes Ted Cruz should shut his mouth about what he doesn't know about, and should know about tribal land/law because he is a senator.

I was just remarking that, at least for me, the topic was never covered in school.

Also fuck Ted Cruz, just in general.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    having a victory by the colonizer's rules is always a weird feeling. On the practical level a victory is a victory. On a different level that we're validating the colonizer's rules feels like a betrayal of principal, and that we even have to do this just feels bad.

Like locally my reserve is in a decades long fight to regain land that was illegally taken from it over the past three centuries. This is based, of course, on the written decree of the king of France setting the boundaries around our territory because that is what "counts" in the colonizer rules.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Just in case I wasn't clear, yes Ted Cruz should shut his mouth about what he doesn't know about, and should know about tribal land/law because he is a senator.

I was just remarking that, at least for me, the topic was never covered in school.

yeah they make it a point to not teach it in schools

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    One hopes this recent ruling has knock-on effects for other tribes.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    having a victory by the colonizer's rules is always a weird feeling. On the practical level a victory is a victory. On a different level that we're validating the colonizer's rules feels like a betrayal of principal, and that we even have to do this just feels bad.

Like locally my reserve is in a decades long fight to regain land that was illegally taken from it over the past three centuries. This is based, of course, on the written decree of the king of France setting the boundaries around our territory because that is what "counts" in the colonizer rules.

I am both surprised and not at all surprised that the flimsy declaration of a democratically decapitated king is still being used to hem in First Nations people in this day and age.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    One hopes this recent ruling has knock-on effects for other tribes.

It's great for other nations in Oklahoma, but the bigger impact to tribes outside of Oklahoma is kinda "preventative care."

Like, if Oklahoma's argument had succeeded, that you can pretend a treaty doesn't exist and then it doesn't, that would've been terrible for tribal sovereignty nationwide. This decision at least affirms that treaties don't have expiration dates.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Hacksaw wrote: »

I am both surprised and not at all surprised that the flimsy declaration of a democratically decapitated king is still being used to hem in First Nations people in this day and age.

naw it was his great-grandad and the thing is we're trying to get *up* to what Louis XIV set aside because this is what we can prove is rightfully ours in writing.

Think the current result is we're being offered crown land elsewhere because, well, the original area in question has several large white towns on it.

This is of course not talking about the various surveying scams that sliced down the reserve on the "official" borders bit by bit.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Twitch put out a video about the importance of supporting black creators, and, well, I'll let someone else point out the flaw in thier video.

you can’t include the line “support black voices” in this video while having 48/58 seconds being taken up by non black creators.. and you can’t say “support black twitch” when only two of the creators in this video out of 9 are black..

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Yeah that Twitch video was up for all of an hour at most, the reaction was so swift and severe they already took it down lol

Between this and the rampant abuse by Twitch partners that they seem to have known all about, Twitch has been showing its whole ass lately

• Options
    Giant corporation morally bankrupt, news at 11.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I mean yeah, but this should have been a total PR slam dunk for them. They have tons of huge Black streamers with massive followings, some of whom have raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for BLM-related groups. Putting together a 1-minute video made up mostly or even exclusively of those content creators would have been a piece of cake.

It's not that they're just morally bankrupt, but the sheer extent of just how tone-deaf and out of touch they are is absolutely staggering. Especially for a platform that is 100% about image and presentation!

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I mean yeah, but this should have been a total PR slam dunk for them. They have tons of huge Black streamers with massive followings, some of whom have raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for BLM-related groups. Putting together a 1-minute video made up mostly or even exclusively of those content creators would have been a piece of cake.

It's not that they're just morally bankrupt, but the sheer extent of just how tone-deaf and out of touch they are is absolutely staggering. Especially for a platform that is 100% about image and presentation!

I would take the most pessimistic view possible and say an Amazon owned business like Twitch excluding Black creators was deliberate

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I know some folks who work at Twitch and I'm very comfortable attributing this to utter cluelessness.

Twitch is mostly a bunch of shut-in nerds who suddenly found themselves running one of the biggest companies in the world ha ha whoops how do we do this what's going on oh god

Which is not an excuse, but I think it means stupid shit is just that: stupid. Not malicious.

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    Can anyone recommend some articles or maybe a curation of media that I can show to a friend so that they can really understand what's going on with BLM and Defund the Police? They live in a very conservative area and have never really been outside that bubble and I really want to get them the full picture but feel incapable of doing it properly myself. It's unfortunate because they mean well, just really don't understand what's happening and what it means when they say stuff like "we all just need to come together and not be divisive" and "All lives matter though." If anyone else has had a similar experience with a friend or family member recently I'd be interested in hearing how you handled it.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don’t think it was deliberate because if it was deliberate they would have foreseen the backlash and decided it was worth it, instead of panicking wildly.

Which hopefully means this is at least a learning experience for them, but my god, the idiocy.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Ataxrxes wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend some articles or maybe a curation of media that I can show to a friend so that they can really understand what's going on with BLM and Defund the Police? They live in a very conservative area and have never really been outside that bubble and I really want to get them the full picture but feel incapable of doing it properly myself. It's unfortunate because they mean well, just really don't understand what's happening and what it means when they say stuff like "we all just need to come together and not be divisive" and "All lives matter though." If anyone else has had a similar experience with a friend or family member recently I'd be interested in hearing how you handled it.

in my experience it is basically impossible to get someone to just abstractly think themselves into leftism, they need to have skin in the game, to see how what you're talking about affects them, and actually fits with the values they already hold

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »

in my experience it is basically impossible to get someone to just abstractly think themselves into leftism, they need to have skin in the game, to see how what you're talking about affects them, and actually fits with the values they already hold

It is surely an uphill battle.

Also, based on my experience, never underestimate the fact that people what to think for themselves, or at least feel like they do. They are usually against being to their ideas are wrong, cause those are their ideas and that would mean they were wrong.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Imagine you're a white streamer and Twitch comes to you asking if you want to be in a video showcasing black content creators and saying yes I will do that.

At least some part of your brain has to be going "Wait hold up, why aren't you asking a black person to be in your black streamer showcase?"

I mean I know the answer is because it spreads awareness of their channel which = $$$, but still.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Bold to assume they were clear about what they were making, or that they even asked permission to use the content.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    Imagine you're a white streamer and Twitch comes to you asking if you want to be in a video showcasing black content creators and saying yes I will do that.

At least some part of your brain has to be going "Wait hold up, why aren't you asking a black person to be in your black streamer showcase?"

I mean I know the answer is because it spreads awareness of their channel which = $$$, but still.

I imagine the pitch was more "do you want to show support", rather than "do you want to represent"

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

Cop with the gloves is so clearly trying to hide his badge from the camera.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

That said, there are certainly inroads to getting them to have that skin in the game. I don't know what those might necessarily be for this friend of yours, but it is possible.

In terms of concrete resources, I'd probably recommend going straight to the source, at least to start. The Black Lives Matter website covers a lot of their basic tenets, 8toabolition.com covers their shit pretty well, that sort of thing.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    People continue giving the US Army "eSports team" shit and I love it.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    how do you not ask about aliens too

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    The military wants you to ask about aliens. Why do you think the Pentagon is releasing UFO files? Anytime you ask about aliens, you give them an opportunity to make a silly joke and imply that anyone asking questions is a silly conspiracy nut. They get to not answer about war crimes.

See also: Space Force.

sig.gif
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    People continue giving the US Army "eSports team" shit and I love it.

During the stream, the Green Beret on camera characterized viewers asking about U.S. atrocities as "internet keyboard monsters" and said, "I'm bigger than you."

This is the guy from that meme youtube comment.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Surprised they had the API to begin with.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

Point out the story of the cop dragged to the asylum by his fellow officers for investigating corruption.

Explain dudes that do that to their own will be even less gentle and honorable to people outside their cohort, like George Floyd

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular

I've heard some good things about people who walk folks through redlining managing to start bursting the bubble. It's something that should, so obviously, be illegal that finding out about it sets a person to spin a bit. Then just, "so, if you rent your entire life, how do you build up a nest egg?" And you can crack through into helping them understand what institutionalized racism is and how it carries over into today

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

SPD is corrupt top to bottom. It's too bad our city council is too feckless and timid to do anything about it!

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    No armed forces needs, or should have, a fucking twitch channel.

This discussion has been closed.