As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[COFFEE] - Why the hell are we making meth?

• swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    New grinder arrived today! Been a bit busy with work so I haven't had a chance to dial it in yet (also please excuse the dirty drip tray and flecks of milk on the side of the Gaggia) but I did run some beans through to pour a quick shot and this puppy runs so quietly and makes such fluffy grounds!
    [snipped image]

Looks great, congrats! What did you upgrade from, if you don't mind me asking?

I recently purchased a Lelit Anna as my entry into the espresso world and would have purchased that same Specialita if it was in stock at 1st-line. After a couple days passed I decided to roll with my trusty Barazta Virtuoso for awhile as I learn and save the upgrade for later. Lots of coffee geek forums had me convinced the Virtuoso would be trash for espresso but I have enjoyed my shots so far.

Also if you are still searching @Drez I can give two thumbs up to the Virtuoso. I have used it every day for 5+ years without issue for both chemex and aeropress)

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Thanks, @swaylow

I've spent so much money lately on my home that I took a little break so I can clean and reorganize all my kitchenware but I'll be back at it soon. I think I might get the Virtuoso if it's still available. $250 is a lot though, I gotta say.

I bought a Javapresse manual grinder that I haven't used yet. Should I sterilize of the gear/cylinder before using? A manual grinder would be 100% mechanical anyway, right, so I shouldn't have to worry about getting anything wet.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    @swaylow I upgraded from a Baratza Encore. It was purchased used along with my Gaggia from a guy on Craigslist whose father in law bought him a Rocket as a birthday gift (lucky guy).

Honestly the Encore has been incredibly dependable but I'm planning to buy a new espresso machine later this year and wanted a grinder that could stand up to the challenge a little better. We don't have a ton of counter space so I won't be able to keep the Encore out for French press or pourover but I may be able to squeeze it into one of the cabinets and bring it out for occasional use.

m!ttens on
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    So I’ve been using my Clever Coffee Dripper thingy now for a few months and really like it. Due to Covid I’m beyond broke and can’t really afford to get into the espresso game like I want to. My only problem is, like just happened this morning, I made my coffee following the instructions of: 24g of beans coarse ground, bloom in 100g of hot water for 30 seconds, then pour in 240g more for a total of 340g of water, stir, and let sit for about 2 minutes(plus the 30 second bloom), then dispense and total time should be around 4 minutes when it stops dripping out. This morning mine came out about 30 seconds early as I moved it to a coarser grind thinking it was too fine before, so I have to dial it in. So after all that work, I had a nice cup of coffee! Which I drank in what seems less time than it took to make!

So I have 2 quick questions. Anyone have a way for me to make a bit more(probably closer to 2 cups as I have a huge coffee mug I prefer to use and that usually satiates me for the day) while keeping it rather strong tasting? I’m not great with the ratios so I’m unsure what to use.

2nd question: I bought a half bag(9oz) from BlueBottle online and it was tasty, but like wine and every other beverage that you’re suppose to notice the nuances in, I only tasted coffee not the sweet tastes of marshmallow, graham cracker, chocolate, etc... So where can I order some decent(remember I’m poor right now) beans online? I do use my vacuum sealer to vacuum seal my beans in a vacu jar I have to try and keep them as fresh as possible as it seems I drink only 1 to 3 cups a week due to it being a process to make instead of a just pressing a button.

Tl;dr Help me make better coffee on the cheap.

50433.png?1708759015
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Math shows the ratio you are using is around 70g of coffee per liter of water (fun fact a ml of water is equal one gram of water. Makes math easier for baking by weight and stuff like this) which is pretty common for a strong brew imo

So if you want to scale up to say.. 500ml of water? You could just use around 70/2 = 35g of ground coffee. (500 is half of 1000ml or 1liter, so apply the same to your grounds, 70 *.5 or 70/2. That's why many ratios are grams per liter. Makes it really easy to calculate to scale the recipe.) Technique should be pretty much the same.

As for tasting notes and such, I think that just takes time and experience. I also find a stronger brew or darker roast often tastes like generic "coffee taste" at best (at worst it will taste like burned) to me where a medium roast can really shine more easily. So really it's also very down to personal taste. So experiment with different roasts and ratios to try and find what works for you.

Tallahasseeriel on
    To answer your second question, I suggest finding a local roaster and give them a call to see which stores stock their product or if you can buy directly from them. You're supporting local business and guaranteed to get some of the freshest beans available. You can also tell them about how you brew pourover with a Clever and what roasts they would recommend for that. I've found that I really enjoy a very light roast with my Chemex and found it easier to discern some of those descriptive notes on a light roast than in something with a heavier body and darker roast. It's fun to experiment and try a couple of different roast levels or origins back to back, though that can be a challenge to dial in both grind settings!

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Thank you to both of you!

50433.png?1708759015
    My replacement grinder should be here on Monday. I'm excited to pull shots again, especially since I had just gotten that 58mm funnel for my portafilter.

I'm pretty sure I'll have to backflush the classic, also gonna make sure to get the portafilter nice and clean of some oils still in the spouts.

I hope my beans are holding up ok. They are Lavazza super crema ones been sitting in just a regular air tight container on my counter for weeks. In my experience they don't get stale super fast but who knows at this point. I got them beginning of last month.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I've had a 10C Cuisinart drip maker forever that usually just came out for holidays, but we've been making our daily coffee in there since lockdown and it's been OK..? Has a timer so set to brew in the morning.

Getting beans from World Market and grinding in an Encore. These trying times, etc.

It uses a gold filter that I'm pretty sure is original. Should I replace that at some point? I do unfortunately let the grounds sit until evening then rinse it out.

MichaelLC on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So normally I was using a French Press plus ground beans from Trader Joe's. But my french press broke so I ordered a moka pot. I have been thrilled with the results. One thing to watch for though is that Amazon has a counterfeit issue. I ordered directly from the manufacturer. Cost a bit more but I know where and who made it.

u7stthr17eud.png
    My replacement grinder arrived to late in the day to test it out with some espresso.

I just used my Javapresse manual grinder for the first time. The result was great.

But I just can't do that every time.

So...I, uh, ordered the Baratza Virtuoso+ and a bunch of beans from Bones Coffee. I had a 20% off coupon so I thought I might as well.

MichaelLC wrote: »
    I've had a 10C Cuisinart drip maker forever that usually just came out for holidays, but we've been making our daily coffee in there since lockdown and it's been OK..? Has a timer so set to brew in the morning.

Getting beans from World Market and grinding in an Encore. These trying times, etc.

It uses a gold filter that I'm pretty sure is original. Should I replace that at some point? I do unfortunately let the grounds sit until evening then rinse it out.

I'd love to know people's thoughts on this too. Both on the reusable gold filter and the impact of cleaning immediately. I'm a "clean it when you use it next" kinda guy for just about everything unless it's going to rust, and even then I still might just wait because you can live with a little rust, or clean it. OK that sounds crazy lazy, I guess.

The only thing I don't do this for is my cast iron skillet - I try to clean that immediately.

Dear god I just read back saying I was gonna wait on the Baratza. Only took me 12 days to reverse that decision.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Dear god I just read back saying I was gonna wait on the Baratza. Only took me 12 days to reverse that decision.

Haha. If you had a coupon, you'd be losing money by buying later. It's just math.

My espresso is coming out a little sour, it's still 18g in 36g out in 30 seconds... Maybe I'll go one click finer on my grinder, or maybe just go about 2 seconds longer on the extraction?

Gosh I'm all out of practice already.

I generally try to give the Chemex & French press a quick rinse right after and then wash a little later (who wants their coffee getting cold while cleaning after all). For the espresso machine I will knock out the coffee puck and give a quick wipe with a dish towel of the parts that touched coffee. I try to backflush with water every 2-3 days and with Cafiza every week.

TL;DR: it's okay to sit for a day or so but don't leave coffee grounds sitting in stuff or damp parts in enclosed places to prevent mold.

Haha. If you had a coupon, you'd be losing money by buying later. It's just math.

Actually I think it's pretty open if anyone else is looking for that or the Encore or any of the other gear they sell. 20% off. I don't know how long it is good for but the code is...
    WELCOME20

Not sure putting it in a spoiler matters, but it feels naked to just post like that without it.

I found out Bones was selling it by googling Virtuoso just to shop around before I pulled the trigger on Amazon. Someone there mentioned a 20% coupon without the code. So then I googled Bones discounts. And I came across that code. And it worked. It feels wrong somehow like it shouldn't even apply to that product. I mean that was essentially $50 off.

Uriel wrote: »
    My espresso is coming out a little sour, it's still 18g in 36g out in 30 seconds... Maybe I'll go one click finer on my grinder, or maybe just go about 2 seconds longer on the extraction?

You're probably pretty close with those weights and times, just need to fine tune a smidge. I'd try first try a finer grind and a firmer tamp.

My basket can only really hold about 17g and I usually get about 40g out in 25 seconds so it seems to flow fast but I've been getting tasty coffee so I'm not too worried. I'm curious since we have essentially identical machines; how long does your pump take to build pressure before you start getting flow? Mine usually hums for about 8 seconds before I start seeing coffee flow out.

m!ttens wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

You're probably pretty close with those weights and times, just need to fine tune a smidge. I'd try first try a finer grind and a firmer tamp.

My basket can only really hold about 17g and I usually get about 40g out in 25 seconds so it seems to flow fast but I've been getting tasty coffee so I'm not too worried. I'm curious since we have essentially identical machines; how long does your pump take to build pressure before you start getting flow? Mine usually hums for about 8 seconds before I start seeing coffee flow out.

Mine takes somewhere between 5 to 10 seconds to start flowing, depending on grind and dose. I use 18 grams and single dose that through my grinder though I just figured out that I can set the timer by holding the grind button and then hitting the program button which I hadn't realized, so I might switch to doing it by time once I get it dialed in.

I was thinking I could shoot for a higher amount out myself, thinking maybe more volume of water will extract a bit more flavor and leave it less sour.

I am also grinding 3 whole notches coarser than before because at 11 it was choking a bit and barely coming out. I probably have some wiggle room to bump it down another notch though so I'll probably try that before going over 30 seconds.

Actually I think it's pretty open if anyone else is looking for that or the Encore or any of the other gear they sell. 20% off. I don't know how long it is good for but the code is...
    WELCOME20

Not sure putting it in a spoiler matters, but it feels naked to just post like that without it.

I found out Bones was selling it by googling Virtuoso just to shop around before I pulled the trigger on Amazon. Someone there mentioned a 20% coupon without the code. So then I googled Bones discounts. And I came across that code. And it worked. It feels wrong somehow like it shouldn't even apply to that product. I mean that was essentially $50 off.

How is the flavored coffee?

I'm not usually big on flavored stuff, often tastes too chemically. Flavors from Starbucks are OK, if it's like that (or better). Thanks.

edited July 2020
    Ok so I actually bumped the grind up to 15 and now I think I just need to cut the flow earlier to nail it. Probably around 25 to 28 seconds instead of thirty. I got like 44g out and it was just a touch bitter at 30 seconds so a little over extracted.

But I'll have to test more later as I'm very caffeinated now because that shot was still very drinkable.

If you are curious though @m!ttens I got flow really quick on this pull, probably under 3 seconds of humming. I know water in my area is pretty soft right off the tap though, as I don't even filter it and it's really easy on my machine and it's pump.

Tallahasseeriel on
    I have hard water and the bolts on the boiler were seized shut when I bought it second-hand. So my descaling efforts have been to just run a citric acid solution through from the water reservoir. I once took the boiler completely out of the machine, stuck it in a vice and tried to make a breaker bar to remove the bolts but my efforts were fruitless. At least that time I was able to pop off the steam valve from the top and pour the solution in from the top and agitate it a bit by shaking.

Every other month or so the machine clogs up due to a piece of scale flaking off and getting stuck in the solenoid valve. I've gotten pretty good and opening the machine, taking off the valve and soaking the valve internals in some citric acid to clear the blockage. Whole process is like an hour of which there are 10 minutes hands on time at the start and end and the rest is just a soak. So it could be that all my lines have minor amounts of scale in them causing the slower flow!

If/when i get a new machine it'll probably be an expensive one so I'm planning to do water softening from the get-go via a resin filter on the water intake.

ka6puosx6pvw.jpg

Nailed it.

WELCOME20

How is the flavored coffee?

I'm not usually big on flavored stuff, often tastes too chemically. Flavors from Starbucks are OK, if it's like that (or better). Thanks.

To be honest, the aroma is more impressive than the taste but I do really like it. The strawberry cheesecake one is crazy on-point and pungent.

edited July 2020
    Alright, will give them a shot.

Ordered a sample pack with mostly cinnamon/breakfast flavors as that seems safe but did get a cheesecake.

Passed on the fruit cereal though.

MichaelLC on
    Alright, will give them a shot.

Ordered a sample pack with mostly cinnamon/breakfast flavors as that seems safe but did get a cheesecake.

Passed on the fruit cereal though.

Let me know what you think! I didn't even think about it but I shoulda given you my referral code. Any chance you'd be willing to change your identity, relocate, and get facial reconstructive surgery and make a new account and a second order so that I may receive a $5 coupon and you as well?

Think the movie "Face/Off" except about coffee.

Also my order shipped so I should be getting my Baratza and my new beans on Sunday. This time I ordered:

Sample Pack | 4oz each Whole Bean
    - Bluesberry
    - Chocolate Raspberry
    - French Toast
    - Mint Invaders
    - Sinn-O-Bun
    Strawberry Cheesecake | 12oz Whole Bean
    French Vanilla | 12oz Whole Bean
    Baratza Virtuoso+ Electric Burr Grinder

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Not quite coffee but I ordered some fancy green tea from Japan

You’re supposed to steep it at 140 degrees F for 45 seconds, and I gotta say, it’s kind of perfect. I use a meat thermometer to get the temp right. You’re supposed to steep it 3 times, and each time is supposed to produce a different flavor

Idk about the different flavor each time but the 3 doses of green tea throughout the day is a really mild and pleasant amount of caffeine. You can pretty much drink it immediately and it tastes fresh and clean. I guess it tastes a bit like how a freshly mowed lawn smells.

Anyway I’ve taken this as a sign that I should buy matcha and one of those whisks for it

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

You’re supposed to steep it at 140 degrees F for 45 seconds, and I gotta say, it’s kind of perfect. I use a meat thermometer to get the temp right. You’re supposed to steep it 3 times, and each time is supposed to produce a different flavor

Idk about the different flavor each time but the 3 doses of green tea throughout the day is a really mild and pleasant amount of caffeine. You can pretty much drink it immediately and it tastes fresh and clean. I guess it tastes a bit like how a freshly mowed lawn smells.

Anyway I’ve taken this as a sign that I should buy matcha and one of those whisks for it

Oh that rabbit hole I know.

I have a tetsubin and kyusu and it changes the flavor a lot. So much that I even got to boil my coffee water in the tetsubin for extra punch.

I can one billion percent recommend Hojo Tea. They have a ton of how to videos/articles.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

I have a tetsubin and kyusu and it changes the flavor a lot. So much that I even got to boil my coffee water in the tetsubin for extra punch.

I can one billion percent recommend Hojo Tea. They have a ton of how to videos/articles.

neat! I ordered my first pouch from nio tea, also a good website

I think I want one of those tea pots because I'm steeping it in a plastic measuring cup and pouring it through a flour sifter right now lol

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Drovek wrote: »

neat! I ordered my first pouch from nio tea, also a good website

I think I want one of those tea pots because I'm steeping it in a plastic measuring cup and pouring it through a flour sifter right now lol

You can get at least a glass one that will give you a "pure" extraction. Won't add but won't remove anything.

If you want to go deep into Kyusu, there's some reading about what to look for. If you actually want it to add to your experience, it cannot be any one of those "glazed" teapots.

Also there's some interesting green teas: I remember ordering one called tsukigase zairai sencha which is supposedly very rich in iron content. The interesting consequence of this is that it's a tea that really relaxes you (and can easily put you to sleep if you're tired) instead of the usual pickup you get. So it's something you can drink before going to bed without it hitting you.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
    It's so easy to get rusty at my milk frothing.

I just overstretched and scalded my milk.

Oh well. It tasted ok still, just gotta get back into the swing of it.

• GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Recently we've been doing beans from Equator, Lady Falcon (from the Bay area), and a local roaster who has a roast called "3 Idiots" which I am helpless to not buy. Other roasters I've enjoyed are Demitasse and Sweet Bloom.

We medium grind the beans with a Capresso grinder and then cold brew in a Toddy system for 24 hours.

Each morning with breakfast I pour 5 oz of unsweetened soymilk and 3 oz of cold brew. It's so lazy I don't even add ice, I love it.

Gim on
    My favorite local roaster is selling their amazing espresso blend again but I'm too broke to grab a pound of it before the beginning of next month. Hope they still have it on sale by then. I would love to put it through my real espresso machine.

I like Adagio Tea.
    Their Irish breakfast and citron green are both solid. Have some equipment as well.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Also - quick warning: I've had flavored coffees gum up my grinder before. Double check post grind.

Flavors have arrived!
    rr0muf3675ox.jpg

Think I'll do the French Toast first, work my way up to the Strawberry.
    schuss wrote: »
    Also - quick warning: I've had flavored coffees gum up my grinder before. Double check post grind.
    Hm, good point. Have to see if I still got my blade grinder.

• RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Hello fellow coffee people. I have a few questions for you all. I have recently gotten into iced coffee due to weather being hot. Any good advice for making iced coffee? I have tried cold brew but it kind of muddled the flavor. Also any recommendations for a good burr grind from Amazon sub 60 bucks? I know that might narrow it but I got about 60 left in credit from birthday gifts and need a new grinder. The blade chopper is not cutting is anymore and is also now being used more for spice grinding. Thanks.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Hello fellow coffee people. I have a few questions for you all. I have recently gotten into iced coffee due to weather being hot. Any good advice for making iced coffee? I have tried cold brew but it kind of muddled the flavor. Also any recommendations for a good burr grind from Amazon sub 60 bucks? I know that might narrow it but I got about 60 left in credit from birthday gifts and need a new grinder. The blade chopper is not cutting is anymore and is also now being used more for spice grinding. Thanks.

What do you mean by "muddled" flavor? Cold brew generally produces a very clean flavor, with less acidity. What process/ratios are you using? And how much are you diluting it before drinking? I'm a big fan of using an Aeropress to make cold brew if you don't want to prep 12+ hours in advance. Stir for a minute or two prior to pressing, and viola, fresh cup of cold joe.

I think I mentioned my opinions about burr grinders earlier in the thread, but if you're set on getting one then based on my research it's a bit of an all-or-nothing thing. Anything short of a conical burr grinder won't produce uniform results (which is the whole point), and those start on the low end at $200. If you try for a manual one, it will run you $50 and is a ton of physical effort, as evidenced by Drez getting one and then tapping out like two days later because he's such a weak and pathetic human being (jk bro love you fam).