As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

As cool as winter, as hot as summer Dresden and other Books-Cinder Spires 2 is out!

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Penumbra wrote: »
    Hard to believe after all this time, we are less than a week from a new book.

This is the absolute best thing to come out of the coronavirus-quarantine / distancing-time-dilation-effect.

Possibly also the only good thing.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I'm very happy that Butcher managed to push out two books this time around. Dude's a trooper.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Anyone else preorder and get their copy of Peace Talks early? My copy from Amazon just showed up!

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    I don’t think I remember what happened in the last two books.

I’ll have to dig them out for a refresher.

I’m really excited - the Dresden books were on my list of ‘buy them on day one’ books, and it feels like forever since the last time I saw one on the shelves.

I think I’ll treat myself to the hardback, start filling up my shelves again after going all-kindle in the last year or so.

The last two would be Cold Days and Changes Skin Game.

Very brief refresher:
    Cold Days: Harry wakes up after being only mostly dead and is trained to be The Winter Knight. Gets ordered to kill Maeve as his first job. Learns about Nemesis outsiders. Winds up making Molly the new Winter Lady, Summer Lady also replaced (again).

Changes: Harry is ordered by Mab to work with Nicodemus to raid Hades' Vault. They assemble a team in classic Heist Story fashion and are inevitably betrayed. Meets Cerberos (and also Hades). Winds up with a number of Christian relics from the crucifixion.

Still, well worth it to reread the last two books.

Edit: Oops, wrong book. Right refresher though.

see317 on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Skin Game, not Changes

Changes was the book before Ghost Story

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Jayricho wrote: »
    Anyone else preorder and get their copy of Peace Talks early? My copy from Amazon just showed up!

I heard a delivery arrive at my porch!

So I went out and checked, and it was an Amazon box!!

It was about the right size for a new hardcover book!!!

It was actually for my son. :(

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I knew getting the audiobook was a mistake! :lol:

Just checked my order, says it's not due to arrive until Tuesday.
    Means I might have time to finish up my current book before it gets here.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I am glaring at my Kindle in rage right now.

Harry has been right about electric gizmos all along.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    skin game, not changes.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I am glaring at my Kindle in rage right now.

Harry has been right about electric gizmos all along.

I was wildly optimistic about the chance of getting an early download and checked mine too.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Boo. They haven't shipped mine yet either.

Probably would have if I were a prime member... It's a racket I tells ya.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

July 14th for Audible :(

50433.png?1708759015
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

Nope. Mine's yet to be shipped.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

Nope. Mine's yet to be shipped.

Same, I've been a Prime member since it was in beta phase, though I was a rather late pre order on Peace Talks, which I think is the biggest contributing factor.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I preordered today Let's see what happens!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Apparently mine isn’t expected to arrive until Tuesday.

Soooo bye thread see you in a week or two!

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    For what it’s worth I’m in Canada, and Amazon here has usually been pretty on the ball for shipping out pre-orders early for me.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    What was the name of that small, short-stories book that came out after skin game? I need to read that still before picking up the new book.

camo_sig2.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    What was the name of that small, short-stories book that came out after skin game? I need to read that still before picking up the new book.

Brief Cases?

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Heir wrote: »

Brief Cases?

That title is fun.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Been reading the 4. Chapter preview amazon gave me in kindle form, till my hardcover gets here tomorrow. I about shot coffee all over my Fire when Harry gives the svartelf his passphrase to get into Molly's building.in Chapter 2

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Been reading the 4. Chapter preview amazon gave me in kindle form, till my hardcover gets here tomorrow. I about shot coffee all over my Fire when Harry gives the svartelf his passphrase to get into Molly's building.in Chaoter 2.

Agh. The anticipation is killing me. I probably won't have til closer to the weekend too. But now I'm just imagining the twenty different ways that could go (don't you dare ruin it).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm going to try and hold out until mid-August. My brother is getting married and it's a 20 hour drive to get there. I sure as shit aint flying, so I need some audiobooks to get me through the trip.

camo_sig2.png
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Been reading the 4. Chapter preview amazon gave me in kindle form, till my hardcover gets here tomorrow. I about shot coffee all over my Fire when Harry gives the svartelf his passphrase to get into Molly's building.in Chaoter 2.

Agh. The anticipation is killing me. I probably won't have til closer to the weekend too. But now I'm just imagining the twenty different ways that could go (don't you dare ruin it).

No worries, I won't spoil, it's too fabulously dorky to do so.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    This comes out tomorrow yeah? So that's the time to start avoiding the thread?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    General reminder folks, make sure to always spoil the newest book. People read at different speeds and have different time constraints. The thread should be safe for everyone as they go. Mark where you are in the book if you are discussing something such saying "Chapter 10" or "End of the Book." Let's keep it so people can talk and read at the pace they enjoy!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Tossing that in the title might help folks coming back after the long hiatus.

Also we might want to consider the window a little longer than "last book" given that we're talking about like two months between them this year. I don't think we need to worry too much about Skin Game right now but Peace Talks being assumed in two months might be a bit much.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I gotta see if I can speed read the entirety of Skin Game before my copy arrives tomorrow.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    This comes out tomorrow yeah? So that's the time to start avoiding the thread?
    Physical copies have been in the wild for a few days, the Kindle edition is being delivered now, and the Audible version is still listed a "pre-ordered" for me. Looking forward to listening to this soon!

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I still haven't decided if I want to read it, or get the audiobook, for my first time through. I really love Marsters' narration.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Kindle copy unlocked at midnight. Stopping now at start of chapter six before I keep going.

steam_sig.png
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    I was a little surprised when it unlocked at 9 PM PST. Was planning to just read the first couple chapters but ended up finishing it. Oh, well.

cckerberos.png
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Just finished. It was probably top 50% of Dresden books, but it’s not Dead Beat.
    • That was one major cliffhanger at the end. It’ll be a long wait until September. On the bright side, the wait is only until September, so there’s that.
    • I’m curious as to what happened with Thomas. There was not enough asking “why the heck did he do that, if it was actually him that did it.
    • Lara holding the idiot ball at the end was annoying.
    • Molly’s situation just makes me really sad. Hopefully the next book ends with Molly, Harry, Murphy, and the Carpenter family sitting down for supper together.
    • I’m mildly surprised Ivy was dodging Harry. I wonder if she’s mad at him for what he did.
    • Butters, man. Living the dream.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Amazon didn't ship my copy until yesterday and there is a delay so I'm probably not gonna get it til tomorrow. :bigfrown:

• cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Just finished. It was probably top 50% of Dresden books, but it’s not Dead Beat.
    • That was one major cliffhanger at the end. It’ll be a long wait until September. On the bright side, the wait is only until September, so there’s that.
    • I’m curious as to what happened with Thomas. There was not enough asking “why the heck did he do that, if it was actually him that did it.
    • Lara holding the idiot ball at the end was annoying.
    • Molly’s situation just makes me really sad. Hopefully the next book ends with Molly, Harry, Murphy, and the Carpenter family sitting down for supper together.
    • I’m mildly surprised Ivy was dodging Harry. I wonder if she’s mad at him for what he did.
    • Butters, man. Living the dream.
    [*] I wouldn't even call that a cliffhanger, to be honest. The book just kinda... ended. They should have slapped a "Part I" on the cover or something, because this really wasn't a standalone book.
    [*] I think there also could have been a little bit more soul searching regarding Thomas. I mean, yes, he's Harry's brother and there was no way that Harry was going to let him be executed. But Thomas fucked up really big and deserves some consequences.
    [*] I was a little surprised that Harry didn't seem to know what had happened between Molly and Ramirez as well. She's got a lot to work through.
    [*] Yeah, I was surprised there was no follow up on Ivy. I guess it's in the second half.
    [*] I would not be surprised if Murphy gets killed off at this point.

cckerberos.png
    They're taunting me, right?
    That's the logical explanation here.

10:12 PM
    Package has left the carrier facility
    Aurora, CO US
    4:38 PM
    Package arrived at a carrier facility
    Thornton, CO US
    1:59 PM
    Aurora, CO US
    10:38 AM
    Thornton, CO US

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »

July 14th for Audible :(

Apparently I preordered this when I was using up my audible credits before closing my subscription.
    Good looking ahead me.

steam_sig.png
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Just finished chapter 4.

I predict this will be a happy story full of good things happening. I mean, that's how stories usually turn out when the author spends a lot of time making sure the reader knows how
    guest rights and hospitality
    work, right?

WACriminal on
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Just finished chapter 4.

I predict this will be a happy story full of good things happening. I mean, that's how stories usually turn out when the author spends a lot of time making sure the reader knows how
    guest rights and hospitality
    work, right?

Oh, I'm sure. It's got to work out happy for everybody.
    Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm just coming up to a wedding on my initial read through of A Song of Ice and Fire, and I do so love reading about weddings. Such happy, life affirming events.
    Season 8 sends it's regards...