As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Agents of SHIELD] Series finale August 12th

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    It did feel like something made by people who only experienced the 80s through watching a bunch of old low budget sci fi horror films, but I enjoyed it all the same.

I mean, if you were born in 1990, you're 30 right now, so it's possible! (Though it looks like the writer is Brent Fletcher, whose age I couldn't find, but his first writing credit is 2003, so he probably experienced the 80s firsthand.)

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I was born in 84 so most of what I actually remember of the 80s is primarily filtered through movies I watched as a child from the era, so it's perfectly accurate.

steam_sig.png
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I did particularly like that Mac 'letting himself go' equated to a bushier beard and a few beer cans strewn about. It's like watching a Segal movie where he wakes up out of long coma and immediately starts kicking ass. =P

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I did particularly like that Mac 'letting himself go' equated to a bushier beard and a few beer cans strewn about. It's like watching a Segal movie where he wakes up out of long coma and immediately starts kicking ass. =P

Just imagine he was at the gym every other second he wasn't on screen drinking/brooding.

uyvfOQy.png
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

Just imagine he was at the gym every other second he wasn't on screen drinking/brooding.

Ok, ok, now Mac doing Aerobics in a very colorful leotard *would* be delightfully 80s.

• see317see317 Registered User regular

Yeah, seeing him still built like a brick house after his extended stay indoors building models and drinking heavily was probably the least believable part in an episode about time traveling murder robots.

• GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    It was fun. And I say this as a person born in the very early 80's who thinks the 80's are highly overrated(especially musically).

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    They leaned too far into Deke's song.
    I get that he re-wrote it to make it more "his", but we did not need to hear the whole thing.

sig.gif
    Meanwhile, I wanted an encore.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Meanwhile, I wanted an encore.

You mean a second encore. That was the first, according to the bartender.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Deke was giving me serious early Al Jourgensen vibes, when Ministry was a synth-pop band.
    000b2pd7oird.png

Got bored so I started re-reading the thread.

Gotta say, everyone arguing about the Framework and who's gonna turn into an LMD is pretty funny in retrospect.

sig.gif
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    This season is amazing.

2 seasons ago was my least favorite. And then I thought last season was just ok.

But this season?

They have been having a lot of fun with it and it really shows.

This week's episode:
    I chuckled at Elena picking up the Obelisk while Li was trying to explain what it was, clearly confident that she wouldn't touch it when he described that it could kill her.

And then I didn't even think about her prosthetic arms there!

Speaking of prosthetics, Sousa got himself a new leg from Simmons like we all expected him to.

Next episode preview:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGUvS2ko3dM

So...Groundhog Day, I guess?

The opening credit titles remain on point.

The only sad part about this week's titles, is it really had no relevance to this week's story. If it wasn't for the inclusion of a specific character (well, arguably two), then it could have been set in modern day AoS without issue.

Haha, so about Li from this week's episode...
    He was in the Street Fighter movie as Ryu!
    zwxek0nbjsq9.png

SteevL wrote: »
    Haha, so about Li from this week's episode...
    He was in the Street Fighter movie as Ryu!
    zwxek0nbjsq9.png

Damn,
    I wish I had changed as little as those two in the past 25 years.

• GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Villainous spoilers
    Man, I do not give even a tiny little shit about Nathaniel Mallik. Couldn't Cybil have recruited somebody more interesting?

Geddoe wrote: »
    Villainous spoilers
    Man, I do not give even a tiny little shit about Nathaniel Mallik. Couldn't Cybil have recruited somebody more interesting?
    But now we'll get to see Cora fight Daisy for Jiaiying's love or something! Sibling Fight!

sig.gif
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Mack's depression beard was way too neat and tidy.

Does anyone know if this season is burning straight through it's episodes, or if there will be breaks?

sig.gif
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this season is burning straight through it's episodes, or if there will be breaks?

No breaks, last episode airs August 19th.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Meanwhile, to continue the Street Fighter thing, here's Ming-Na Wen's latest tweet:

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I want to know what dark pact she made that she looks younger in those photos than she did in the actual fucking movie from 25 years ago.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure ming na wen found father time and beat him up and locked him in a closet. Or she is a vampire either is possible.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Those images are legitimately baking my noodle.

Highlanders are real, people!

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    She looks older in the Zoom streams she sometimes does with Henstridge, so I think she must just be a wizard with make-up, lighting, and that particular hair style pulling the skin on her forehead (instant natural botox!). :)

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I feel like maybe you guys just aren't used to Asian faces. She looks fantastic for a woman in her 50's, but she does not look the same as she did in Street Fighter. Not knocking her looks AT ALL. She's very well preserved. She's not ageless, though.

• madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    :(

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    AoS does 'Groundhog Day'.
    Enoch Noooo! RIP Enoch. Sacrificing himself to fix the time drive and end the time loop. :(

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    After-episode scene was unnecessary, too.

sig.gif
    That episode was absolutely fantastic. Helluva directorial debut for Henstridge.
    Fitz is dead, isn't he?

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    That episode was absolutely fantastic. Helluva directorial debut for Henstridge.
    Fitz is dead, isn't he?
    Yeah i have a feeling the reveal for the Fitz mystery is going to super suck.

I am always a sucker for stories about robots learning to be human and heroic self sacrifice so this one definitely pressed my buttons. I also liked the juxtaposition of his journey with Coulson's.

And despite being the antagonist, the moment they said they needed his power regulator, he didn't even give them a chance to explain the cost. Enoch is truly an MVP.

steam_sig.png
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I am very concerned by (Episode ending spoiler):
    Enoch saying Fitz "was" his best friend.

On the other hand, it's a sci fi show with time travel, so pretty much anything can theoretically be undone.

Fitz is dead, isn't he?
    I think that's a given.

I'd bet money based on her reaction after it's removal, that Simmons implant is primarily there to not allow her to acknowledge Fitz's death, and is therefore able to function at a higher level than if she were grieving.

I did like the kick at Deke.

"Deke's dead."
    "Very."
    "Don't you think we should be sad about that?"
    "No we should not."

Poor Deke.

And in the end, it does look like Enoch 'saw the irony', of loneliness and loss.

I do know that if there weren't four episodes remaining, I'd be fucking furious about the loss of Enoch. But he got to have a noble sacrifice, near the end, and well, that's the best that can be hoped for for someone who's otherwise functionally immortal. Best case otherwise is he continues to exist past the point where everyone else (bar maybe Coulson) dies.

Gonna say, most scifi shows have this trope at some point during their run, and it's kinda interesting to see how it gets played.

They definitely pulled it off, and there's only one (SG-1) that IMO did it better. A contested second place to that is a big win for AOS.

That was a great episode, but with plenty of hints for future tragedy.

And then there was the completely unintentionally hilarious moment for my wife and I due to a problem we have specifically with Hulu. Every time we watch something on there, it freezes up in the middle of an episode. Tonight it seemed like we'd get through to the end without any issues, but then it happened during this specific line, with the character making this specific face:
    Seriously, spoilers! Don't click if you haven't seen the episode yet!
    ke6ulvh1h8i1.png

4 episodes of AoS left!

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    MorganV wrote: »
    Fitz is dead, isn't he?
    I think that's a given.

I'd bet money based on her reaction after it's removal, that Simmons implant is primarily there to not allow her to acknowledge Fitz's death, and is therefore able to function at a higher level than if she were grieving.

"Deke's dead."
    "Very."
    "No we should not."

Poor Deke.

And in the end, it does look like Enoch 'saw the irony', of loneliness and loss.

I do know that if there weren't four episodes remaining, I'd be fucking furious about the loss of Enoch. But he got to have a noble sacrifice, near the end, and well, that's the best that can be hoped for for someone who's otherwise functionally immortal. Best case otherwise is he continues to exist past the point where everyone else (bar maybe Coulson) dies.

Gonna say, most scifi shows have this trope at some point during their run, and it's kinda interesting to see how it gets played.

They definitely pulled it off, and there's only one (SG-1) that IMO did it better. A contested second place to that is a big win for AOS.

The Magicians did a great job with it, too, if you haven't had a chance.

E: non-sequiter completely accurate summary of the Magicians version, which is both spoilers and sounds completely insane out of context to the point where it's almost not.
    The gang takes meth to stay up to talk to the moon so it can move out of the way. But to do that they have to do a heist to steal a rock. But while doing that they accidentally break the moon and cause the apocalypse. But then we find out that Margo and Elliot are stuck in groundhogs day (hedgehog day lol) and have to talk to whales through a tv in order to RELEASE THE KRAKEN. Which will allow them to go back and do the heist right and move the moon safely.

Jragghen on
    MorganV wrote: »
    Fitz is dead, isn't he?
    I think that's a given.

"Deke's dead."
    "Very."
    "No we should not."

Poor Deke.

The other option for second place would have to be Legends of Tomorrow's "Here I Go Again".

sig.gif
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I've been pretty against the Daisy/Sousa ship since it started, right up until he gave his speech this episode, then my underpants exploded and I get it now.