As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dungeons and Dragons: Neverwinter] It might have become Winter.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Life keeps throwing curveballs at me, so no fun in Chult or Ravenloft this evening. Perhaps the universe simply doesn't want a PA guild to happen :(

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    After taking a break of the game, i started playing again yesterday.
    Main reason for my break was that the game kept crashing constantly, whatever it was has been fixed now, either on my end by new graphics card/OS or in their end, or both, no clue.
    Instead of hopping on my level 60 wizard and trying to remember how to play, i started a brand new warlock.
    Yeah, it's the same old thing, walking to places feels like it takes too long (andthen i have to walk back again almost instantly), horses feel too slow, and the story feels very threadbare (though i am barely reading many of them, i've played them several times already afterall).
    Some new stuff, don't remember the workshop thingy, and the questline from the seer at the vault is something i have not done (as are many other campaigns).

The lockboxes feel kinda predatory, they are constantly dropping and now i either throw them away and have them constantly in my inventory begging me to spend money on keys (yes, i know, i can get keys without money).
    Still, i am enjoying myself, will see how long my interest will stick.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I like some of the story stuff that I've gone through so far. The Linkletters story which was there since the beginning is a pretty good one and it shows pretty well to people new to D&D 4/5E why the whole Spellplague is a bad thing. Acquisitions Incorporated is pretty good too though I'm a little annoyed that you need to complete a story mission and then unlock it's spot in the Campaign grid to get to the next part. As for mounts, yeah, the starting ones are SLOW though I do like the change now that the movement speed is an equipable thing now so if you get a mount with a high speed (like I did with the Dragonborn Pack), you can take the slotted speed off of that and put it on a mount you like better. Also, I'm kinda wowed by how much stuff you get stat-boosts from now. The Enchantments for gear I'm familiar with but now you can slot in similar ones to Companions and Mounts and even Mounts sitting in your Stable boosts your character as long as they got those items equipped.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    There are so many rules and augments in this game that it gets annoying. I need a guide. I am totally ignoring the workshop. I will just do the intro quests for it.

edited May 2020
    Did anyone do that campaign to make the staff? That last part were you had to find the caches was annoying.

Krathoon on
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Did anyone do that campaign to make the staff? That last part were you had to find the caches was annoying.

Yeah it was pretty annoying to do. I also ran around killing stuff for like 10 minutes looking for the documents before I remembered that I needed to use the Orb to locate them.

In Pirate's Skyhold now, evicting lizardfolk from their hovels (the games words, not mine) and looting them for stuff.
    As far as i can tell, the justification for the quest here is "we want stuff, they are on the way, so we kill them".
    All very standard mmo and DnD stuff, but i can't help but wonder how self aware the devs/writers were about the, tone, this can have.
    Not the first time i have noticed something like this (did i notice it when i played it originally at launch? can't remember).

Yeah. Evicting anything is not very heroic.

I'll see if I can play some tonight. I am close to level 25. I think that will unlock an Aqu. Inc. quest.

I'll see if I can play some tonight. I am close to level 25. I think that will unlock an Aqu. Inc. quest.

It does seem that it's every 10 levels so far; 25, 35, 45...

Yeah. Evicting anything is not very heroic.

Well the game says evict, i would say murder en masse.

Level 51 now, starting the Chasm quests.
    The level design on quest zones leaves a lot to desire here.
    The Icespire Peak is basicly a long narrow tunnel that you fight your way through doing quests, with a lot of backtracking, and once done with the area, you fight your way all the way back.
    Most areas are not quite as bad, but they are very similar.

It's a pain there's no fast-travel system here but at least you can buy scrolls that warp you back to Protector's Enclave. Always a good idea to have at least one at all times in your bag.

edited June 2020
    I did the egg retrieval quest for Aqu. Inc.

Classic Penny Arcade silliness.

I guess deep crows are part of the Forgotten Realms now.

Krathoon on
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    I had a control wizard somewhere in the middle of the elemental evil campaign so I thought I'd come back and give it a try as a break from WoW and ... it was alright? Apparently they redid wizards since I last played the game and I had fewer options for spells and I felt a lot weaker. I could still kill packs but I had to be extremely careful not to get two at the same time or I was dead unless I used a daily.

I've gotten really used to WoW art direction and how smooth the animations are so it was a bit jarring to go back to NWN. Still love the D&D setting and the more active gameplay but the f2p elements with the constant lootbox dropping is a bit icky.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    edited June 2020
    I'm playing a warlock, and definitely can echo the feeling of being weak.
    Basic trash mobs die fast, but anything with 2 dots or more becomes a major issue, and some missions (ghost stories, looking at you) will have huge mobs that are basicly impossible, there are just too many enemies to deal with.
    Sure i am under geared for my level, but even against enemies of lover level, the feeling of getting overwhelmed remains.
    But it might be just me being bad at this.

edit-
    and yes, animations are janky as hell.

Nyysjan on
    I am using an Astral Deva with my Warlock. I wish he would attract more aggro.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I've been using a Cambion Magus and while I don't really notice him in combat I laugh everytime he tells me "aha, you'd make a terrible demon" after we load in somewhere.

I made it to Neverdeath graveyard.

I made it to Neverdeath graveyard.

I also started the Tyranny of Dragons campaign. I like how the game lets you know you can start it.

I'm starting the whispering caverns next, doing the dragon campaign and acquisitions inc ones, not going to start others until i am done with the levelling up, or finish these ones (pretty certain i will hit max level before i finish these ones)
    Don't remember the name but i have a rank 30 healer for a companion most of the time, some others at varying ranks i keep switching to get them xp.

The Ghost Story mission at the dragon campaign is utterly nuts. But getting post 60 gear has helped a lot (hit level 67 just now, i like the harrowing storm skill).

Acq Inc stories, have not really landed, i guess the joke of working for a terrible abusive corporation and not being allowed to stab the abusive bosses is not something i'm into right now.
    Maybe if i went and got more familiar with the Acquisitions incorporated stuff elsewhere?

Dungeons are kinda fun, mostly, too fast though, there is usually one person who murders everything and everyone else runs after them, and there is next to no need for healing because of that, i assume this will change (i remember struggling with some of these dungeons when the game launched).

I get wiped sometimes in single player, but I have not researched on how to play my warlock yet. I seem to have plenty of life scrolls to bring me back.

The AoE stun that curses (arms of hadar?), followed up by the skill that rips out the curse (chains something?) seem to be a great combo.
    The AoE has a super short CD at first and the skill to rip out curses has 2 charges making them spammable in short fights.

Third encounter skill i keep going back and forth on, the one that is basicly a force choke is a nice and easy way to get a soul puppet (but i picked perma soul puppet feat so not using that anymore), the one that does increased damage as enemy goes to lower health is a great finisher.
    The blade circle might be good, not sure, did not seem that great to me but might be better in long fights where you have a tank keeping agro.

I use the blade circle allot. It really takes down a crowd of enemies.

Aoe stun + curse rip kinda takes out most group i would be willing to be near of in couple hits as is.
    In a longer fights it probably shines more.

edited June 2020
    I mapped the curse rip to my Y button. It does work real well. I joined in and killed the green dragon in Neverdeath Graveyard.

I am up to level 29 now. I will see if I can push it to 30 tomorrow. I guess I should do the Aqu. Inc. egg quest again to get more acorns.

Krathoon on
    There is a festival going on now. I will have to check it out.

There is a festival going on now. I will have to check it out.

I went. I was expecting Eliminster in his red robes, not shabby Eliminster.

edited July 2020
    How do you get your rewards from doing Heroic quests?

Edit: I figured it out. You use the select button.

I am over on Helms Hold now. Fighting imps and devils.

I wish I could just jump to Avernus in this game.

Krathoon on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Did we ever get a guild going? Since going back to work last month I have very little free time, but still find Neverwinter and Star Trek Online to be great ways to kill the hour or 2 I get to myself after work.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited July 2020
    I don't think a guild ever started. I am at level 36 now. I was in Ebon Downs, but I got bored and went back to Helm's Hold.

I notice that the quests are having multiple stages now.

The concept of Helm's Hold getting attacked my devils and devil worshipers is pretty good. Ebon Downs is just another necromancer causing trouble.

People complain about them taking liberties with the lore, but it seems really close to me.

Krathoon on
    edited August 2020
    Some of the stuff with Valindra and later campaigns does kinda go off the rails and batshit compared to 90s views of setting, but I certainly didn't find any thing egregiously wrong.

I like the look of the new Skyblazer companion, may see how to farm him as a goal for the weekend on my endgame wizard. Gonna use the respec with the new module release on console to go full tilt boogie on a rimefire build.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    I haven't played the game in a while now. It looks like I need to buy some life scrolls and scrolls to teleport me back to the enclave. It seems like that is a way the game makes money.

I am currently in this area with some barbarians. That tribal crap kind of turned me off.

• KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    So, I'm pretty sure I'm the GM of the old PA guild, right now. (The only player who kept coming back occasionally, I guess?). If anyone starts playing this again and wants in the guild / ownership of it just shoot me a message here.

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
    Any PC players rolled a bard, and if so how do they feel? I'm tempted to reinstall the PC client just to test drive one, but I don't know if I could live without the metric ton of account-unlocks I have on Xbox.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    So a very small handful of people from the Steam Thread decided to doink around in an MMO again, and Neverwinter ended up being the one we decided to go at. Some new people, some returning.

I haven't touched Neverwinter in years, but I was an avid player up through about Update 16 or so before I drifted off.

Anyway, I logged in last night and found my main still retained a place of honor in the guild I founded on Day 1. It's since died, but out of respect for all the work put into it over the years, a few players have been maintaining it a bit. The current caretaker is more than fine with it being used again for anyone who's just casually playing.

If there's anyone Neverwinter-curious looking for a little spark to kickstart your heart, here you go.

I have all 31 character slots filled, all with characters filled with junk, from back in the day where running character farms for invocation, professions, and the Gateway stuff was a way to farm astral diamonds. There's so much junk stuffed in every corner of my account, it's overwhelming.

So I'll be starting a fresh character this week, likely a Cleric. I figure getting to max level on a new toon will help me relearn the game, then I can figure out if there's anything still valuable or worth using in my giant hero farm.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    How do we join the guild? Search and request?

Steam: offday
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Sorry, I guess that would be an important detail. Still rusty. The guild name is Unrepentant. I will, however, be away from my computer until Friday afternoon. I left for a business trip, and unfortunately did not get Neverwinter running on the Steam Deck yet.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Sorry, I guess that would be an important detail. Still rusty. The guild name is Unrepentant. I will, however, be away from my computer until Friday afternoon. I left for a business trip, and unfortunately did not get Neverwinter running on the Steam Deck yet.

I can't find this guild in the list.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    I wish you could port your XBox character to the PC. My warlock is pretty far along.