As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The TV Thread: More for Less

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The TCL 6 series in 55" is like $579. It's a great picture at an absurd price.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I think right now we have a 42"? 44"? That is going into our living room and we are getting a larger one for the basement. I would say 50s-60s, but are not against larger (pending pricing).

Right now, we have an N64 (cable wire, not the red/white/yellow), Switch, and Xbox One hooked up to it. We also use a Firestick. I would say it is used primarily for streaming movies/TV and Switch occasionally.

I compare this to yesterday when ordering a new phone. I have an iPhone 6. I am getting an iPhone 11. I am fine with the basic version because what I have is so old that anything new is great. Not that our TVs are super old, but I feel like buying a new TV in 2020 - We are fine with the basics because they will probably meet our needs and then some.

Like, is having a smart TV worth it if we use Firesticks everywhere? (I have no clue if smart TVs are a standard thing.)

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Like, is having a smart TV worth it if we use Firesticks everywhere? (I have no clue if smart TVs are a standard thing.)

You pretty much won't be given an option. All but the most barebones TVs sold today are "smart", the debate is whether or not they will have vaguely useful apps (like Samsung) or trash ones that you should avoid at all costs. And if the later is true, just disable the wifi on the TV and use it like a "dumb" television that happens to have an interface full of ignorable apps.

Synthesis on
    Synthesis wrote: »

You pretty much won't be given an option. All but the most barebones TVs sold today are "smart", the debate is whether or not they will have vaguely useful apps (like Samsung) or trash ones that you should avoid at all costs. And if the later is true, just the wifi on the TV and use it like a "dumb" television that happens to have an interface full of ignorable apps.

Most smart TVs are either:
    Android (Sony mostly)
    Roku (TCL, Westinghouse, a bunch of other budget brands)
    Fire TV (Toshiba, Sharp)

And then LG and Samsung have their own set of apps. They're all pretty much fine.

Shadowfire wrote: »

Samsung 75" and TCL 75" are ones I looked at after seeing your suggestion. Is it me or are TVs losing HDMI inputs?

If I wanted to go Samsung, I'd have the Firestick, Xbone, and Switch for HDMI and it only has 2 ports. I assume we are supposed to not use the Firestick in that case. I'll look for myself, but are there any Samsungs with at least 3 HDMI? The TCL one has 3, but I am honestly not familiar with the brand.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Higher end Samsung lines are going to have 4 HDMI most likely.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    Yeah, I'm surprised that one only has two HDMI ports. I suppose it doesn't matter if you have a decent switcher, but otherwise, that seem really problematic. I use all four in my Q70R. Four seems to be the typical number nowadays across brands, whereas my Vizio-M from a few years back had five HDMI, component, and S-Video.

edited July 2020

Samsung 75" and TCL 75" are ones I looked at after seeing your suggestion. Is it me or are TVs losing HDMI inputs?

If I wanted to go Samsung, I'd have the Firestick, Xbone, and Switch for HDMI and it only has 2 ports. I assume we are supposed to not use the Firestick in that case. I'll look for myself, but are there any Samsungs with at least 3 HDMI? The TCL one has 3, but I am honestly not familiar with the brand.

The TCL is a 4 series. You lose active lighting zones which sounds like buzz words, but it's an incredibly huge step up over edge lighting. It's noticeable. You want it. The 6 series in 65" is $800 and is really great. Four inputs, Roku software built in (so you can drop the Fire stick and lose a remote), and way better image quality than either of the 75" sets you linked.

That Samsung? It's... pretty bad. The 6080 is basically a Black Friday TV that's available year round. It's not a good set, bad viewing angles, super bad color bleed. If you want big and cheap and don't care about quality in the slightest, sure, but don't do that to yourself.

Edit: fuck uh... that's a link to Best Buy. I'm employed by Best Buy, but don't make money on those links. Disclaimers etc etc. I install shit, don't care how much you spend. ;)

Shadowfire on
    Yeah, I'm surprised that one only has two HDMI ports. I suppose it doesn't matter if you have a decent switcher, but otherwise, that seem really problematic. I use all four in my Q70R. Four seems to be the typical number nowadays across brands, whereas my Vizio-M from a few years back had five HDMI, component, and S-Video.

It's because they use a cheap, low end main board on the 6 and 7 series TVs. Doesn't matter if you have a receiver to mitigate that, it's a bad board that's not worth using.

edited July 2020

It's because they use a cheap, low end main board on the 6 and 7 series TVs. Doesn't matter if you have a receiver to mitigate that, it's a bad board that's not worth using.

Yeah, it sounds like the trash motherboards they used in those aforementioned "mediocre range" LGs I was describing earlier, like the UM-models.

It's difficult to speculate about someone's finances, but if you're picking up a 75" television--which is absolutely massive, I regularly think my 65" is a little too big--I think this price point is probably too low to be comfortable for something you'll be using yourself for a matter of years (presumably). But I also spent 6 months trying to fix a much nicer television, so whatever.

Synthesis on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Rtings.com is great for reviews.

They list the Hisense 55Q8G- 55" as a great budget tv.

I’m in Canada but the 55” comes in at $75 CDN so prob like $550 usd.

The TCL is a 4 series. You lose active lighting zones which sounds like buzz words, but it's an incredibly huge step up over edge lighting. It's noticeable. You want it. The 6 series in 65" is $800 and is really great. Four inputs, Roku software built in (so you can drop the Fire stick and lose a remote), and way better image quality than either of the 75" sets you linked.

That Samsung? It's... pretty bad. The 6080 is basically a Black Friday TV that's available year round. It's not a good set, bad viewing angles, super bad color bleed. If you want big and cheap and don't care about quality in the slightest, sure, but don't do that to yourself.

Edit: fuck uh... that's a link to Best Buy. I'm employed by Best Buy, but don't make money on those links. Disclaimers etc etc. I install shit, don't care how much you spend. ;)

Is there a Samsung equivalent to the one you linked?

Not knocking TCL, but I know nothing of them and never owned anything by them. It feels scary spending that much on a brand I know nothing about.

bYf6vNQ.png

Not knocking TCL, but I know nothing of them and never owned anything by them. It feels scary spending that much on a brand I know nothing about.

The Samsung 65TU8000 is a little bit of a step down for $100 less. Picture quality isn't quite as good, but it's still good. Otherwise you're looking at $1100 for the Q70.

Don't be fooled by the Q60. It's the same price as the TCL, and yes it's QLED, but it's edge lit.

Incindium wrote: »
    Higher end Samsung lines are going to have 4 HDMI most likely.

Not only the higher-ends. The 7 and 8 series from Samsung have them too. It looks like more have them then not.

edited July 2020

The Samsung 65TU8000 is a little bit of a step down for $100 less. Picture quality isn't quite as good, but it's still good. Otherwise you're looking at $1100 for the Q70.

Don't be fooled by the Q60. It's the same price as the TCL, and yes it's QLED, but it's edge lit.

TCL - 65" Class - LED - 6 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR - Roku TV

Samsung 65" Class TU8000 Crystal UHD 4K Smart TV

So, those are my options so far I guess? What about LG? Do they compare more to the preferred TCL?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited July 2020

TCL - 65" Class - LED - 6 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR - Roku TV

Samsung 65" Class TU8000 Crystal UHD 4K Smart TV

So, those are my options so far I guess? What about LG? Do they compare more to the preferred TCL?

The LG UM series, which are dead center of your budget, are really mediocre and rated substantially worse than the TCL 6-series on Rtings.com (about 1.5 points less on the average score). So probably stay away from those.

Synthesis on
    The LG 8 series is alright, direct backlighting and a decent picture. Problem is LG sets are kinda hard to come by right now. That's true of a lot of TVs, but LG seems uniquely short stocked unless you're looking at OLED sets. Covid is a real bitch if you're buying tech.

I am still all over with picking a TV. Like, I think we want a Samsung (I know the wife wants a brand we know). 55". After that, I feel like I have no clue the difference between QLED and OLED and all the other stuff. I don't think we are that crazy about OMG BEST IMAGE OR BUST. Samsung. 55". Under $999. 4 HDMI. Doesn't look like hot garbage, we will stream stuff (whether TV or Firestick, doesn't matter), and play games on it.

What is the big difference between these two? Is it something the regular consumer wouldn't really notice or care about? I feel like I didn't really do any research on my 2 Samsungs when I bought them and I turned out fine. Heh.
    Samsung - 55" Class - 8 Series - 4K UHD TV - Smart - LED - with HDR

Samsung - 55" Class - QLED Q70 Series - 4K UHD TV - Smart - LED - with HDR

bYf6vNQ.png
    The biggest difference is going to be in the black levels and overall contrast. The blacks on the 8 series are going to be more muted and like a darkdarkdark grey, while the Q70 will be closer to a real black. Not quite OLED levels, but still better. If you don't look at them side by side, you probably wouldn't know the difference. Neither one is going to look like garbage, though!

As mentioned earlier, the Q70 series has a lot of handy features for gaming, if you're going to use it for console (and potentially PC) gaming, as good or better than anything from LG or Sony. The 8 series will have some, though not all, of them.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, if you plan to get a next-gen console, you will really want the Q70 for Freesync and Auto Game-Mode.

a5ehren wrote: »
    Yeah, if you plan to get a next-gen console, you will really want the Q70 for Freesync and Auto Game-Mode.

My only caveat: Freesync mode on QLED (and I suspect on LG and other TVs that have Freesync support) does cause visual artifacts on very specific types of 2D games or games that use extensive 2D assets. I've run into this in Streets of Rage 4 and Ion Fury, and they aren't universal in even those games, but the solution was to turn off Freesync while leaving all other Game Mode features on.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    So what's the deal with TV's right now? I was doing some research, nothing for this year but maybe next year. Seems that the 4K Q90 is better than the newer 8K Samsung sets? Also found an article that Samsung was shutting down it's LED plants by the end of this year.

Are they moving to OLED or MicroLED faster than people thought? Do they think they have enough inventory for the next couple years?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Samsung is not going exclusively OLED (nor is anybody else of any size, as far as I can tell), simply because of the volume of sets they produce. Samsung's been bragging about their huge-ass MicroLED applications for a while now, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the ways they were going at their high-end (along with trying to get OLED displays that can match the peak nits we get with QLEDs currently).

Shadowfire can no doubt weigh in on this. I'm more a monitor guy (for starters, I've never had to spend half a year getting a monitor replaced).

Last I knew, Samsung was switching over to QLED almost entirely this year, with the bottom model TVs being the only LEDs they sell. But also COVID happened and everything is on fire, so I'm sure things changed one or twenty times.

edited July 2020
    Samsung - 65" Class - 8 Series - 4K UHD TV - Smart - LED - with HDR ($899)

Samsung - 65" Class - LED - Q60 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR ($799)

I haven't been back to looking since whenever I posted last. I think these are what we are looking at. We were trying below $800, 4 HDMI, and also just availability (I assume we should do pick up to avoid it going on another truck). What's the major difference between these two? I see the one has a 120ghz refresh rate and the other doesn't list anything. The cheaper one can be used with Alexa. That is about all I see.

edit: A friend said go with QLED.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    The Q60 will have better grey and black uniformity. The RU8000 is a bit brighter. I'd look at both of them, but yeah, I'd probably pick the Q60 between the two. Both support 120Hz.

Considering the Q60 is actually cheaper than the RU800 ("8 series"), I'd probably say the same thing. The RU800 was replaced by a newer model (TU800, I believe), whereas the Q60 is this years models still.

Considering the Q60 is actually cheaper than the RU800 ("8 series"), I'd probably say the same thing. The RU800 was replaced by a newer model (TU800, I believe), whereas the Q60 is this years models still.

Q60 is still last year's model. The new one is the Q60T because lol model numbers.

Samsung - 65" Class - LED - Q60 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR ($799)

I haven't been back to looking since whenever I posted last. I think these are what we are looking at. We were trying below $800, 4 HDMI, and also just availability (I assume we should do pick up to avoid it going on another truck). What's the major difference between these two? I see the one has a 120ghz refresh rate and the other doesn't list anything. The cheaper one can be used with Alexa. That is about all I see.

We got the Q60 yesterday. Takes up the entire wall between the laundry room and workshop. Thank God we didn't do the 75". Haha.

Happy with it so far. Tried some games on it (Spider-Man, Last of Us, wife played Animal Crossing) and watched The Light House. All good.

When they put it in my car at curbside, it JUST fit in my trunk with the seats down.

bYf6vNQ.png

We got the Q60 yesterday. Takes up the entire wall between the laundry room and workshop. Thank God we didn't do the 75". Haha.

Happy with it so far. Tried some games on it (Spider-Man, Last of Us, wife played Animal Crossing) and watched The Light House. All good.

When they put it in my car at curbside, it JUST fit in my trunk with the seats down.

There's at least a post or two every day on /r/BestBuy of someone with a car that's way too small getting angry about the TV they bought not fitting, or someone strapping a TV very dangerously to their vehicle.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Saw some poor worker at HD the other day disassembling a grill in a curbside pickup spot with the customer standing around awkwardly next to a car that looked too small even for all the pieces.

I'm a pretty firm believer in "hey this isn't going to fit. Either choose delivery or you're doing this yourself. Byyyyeee!"

I called a friend with a Jeep when I got my 65" Q6FN.

You know, the responsible thing.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

Just standing up in the back seat, TV above your head boom box style blasting down the freeway.

Call an XL Uber.
    Rent a truck from Home Depot for $20.
    Take the goddamn free delivery.

edited July 2020

Call an XL Uber.
    Rent a truck from Home Depot for $20.
    Take the goddamn free delivery.

The weird thing is, something specific kept me from requesting free delivery of my Q6FN. Unlike my M65 from Vizio which, ordering from Amazon, had to be that.

I'm pretty sure it was because scheduling deliveries from Best Buy while working full time was a giant pain in the ass.

Synthesis on
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Is there a decent 65-70" tv out there for under $500? It's time to upgrade my old 55" Visio and relegate it to the game room for the kiddos.

It doesn't have to be top of the line, but I would like it to be 4k. I use it for Hulu/Netflix/YouTube/Disney+ (via my Chromecast Ultra) and the occasional Blu-Ray/DVD.

Also, any suggestions on a corner mount for the 55" tv? Monoprice and Amazon had a bunch but I wasn't sure how good any of them were.

Thanks in advance!

SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Is there a decent 65-70" tv out there for under $500? It's time to upgrade my old 55" Visio and relegate it to the game room for the kiddos.

The TCL 4 series is around 460ish and will do what you want. Decent is a different rating for everyone, but that's the route I'd go if your budget is pretty firm $500.
    Also, any suggestions on a corner mount for the 55" tv? Monoprice and Amazon had a bunch but I wasn't sure how good any of them were.

Thanks in advance!

I will always say to spend more on mounts, but especially when it comes to corner mounting. It's hard to tell for sure without seeing the room and where your studs are, but a full motion mount with a single arm should do the trick. Make sure you have at least a 20" arm, I'd say, but again hard to tell without seeing and measuring myself.

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

The TCL 4 series is around 460ish and will do what you want. Decent is a different rating for everyone, but that's the route I'd go if your budget is pretty firm $500.

Thanks in advance!

I will always say to spend more on mounts, but especially when it comes to corner mounting. It's hard to tell for sure without seeing the room and where your studs are, but a full motion mount with a single arm should do the trick. Make sure you have at least a 20" arm, I'd say, but again hard to tell without seeing and measuring myself.

Hmm, TCL, eh? I've not really heard anything about them.

Best Buy has a 65" Samsung that looks decent, too.