As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Asheron's Call] Nov. 2, 1999 -- Jan. 31, 2017

1272829303133»

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Axen wrote: »
    That video says UO preceded AC and that EQ succeeded it. They were about nine months apart, and EQ released first.

Oddly enough in that same video he even says later on that EQ came before AC.

The confusion is that AC was going to be released first, but Sony pulled some publishing tricks and prevented AC from getting out the door until Microsoft stepped in and published it, thinking that their MSN Gaming Zone would be a "great alternative to the internet" or somesuch nonsense. I believe AC went into beta first and started development way before EQ.

MS would later screw over Turbine a few other ways beyond just forcing them to use the MSN Gaming Zone a decade or so after it became obvious it wasn't going to fly, including preventing the AC live team from doing anything about rampant botting in AC ("some of them pay for 10 or 15 accounts each!") and disabling all in game chat in AC2 for a year when Microsoft's first party MMORPG started it's hype train ("Mythica," which was killed after the DAOC devs sued them into the ground.)

KiTA on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Every time I get a notice for this thread, I end up getting my hopes up for some kind of exciting news related to it. Stupid Warner Bros. sitting on this franchise and doing nothing and turning Turbine into a licensed mobile dev.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Oh, there is an AC thread!

The 'rona led to me rediscovering the emulator scene and I think they're pretty great. I'm not really hip to end-of-retail stuff, as I played the game extensively from 99-02 and then just a little bit here and there until about 05. But I've really been enjoying the offerings, and there's a wide range. I spent a fair bit of time on Gloomfell, which has significant XP reductions and a few other changes (like Facility Hub & Town Network destroyed) to make it feel a little more like old times. It does still have new loot, which feels incredibly exorbitant to an old-timer but also fun to get. Next I dipped my toe into Seedsow, which is way more hardcore, using ToD files to go as far back as possible. The loot is old school (read: terrible) and the XP is slow and forced me to think about whether I really wanted to relive the old days when I'm no longer a teenager with tons of time.

I heard about yet another server (Living Auberean) that's modern retail style with some nice quality of life touches, and I've been going through the Facility Hub doing classic old quests. I thought I might not like it being handed to me on a silver platter but I was wrong, I love it. It's great to not have to spend a bunch of time on websites trying to remember what existed, where it was, etc etc, just go in and portal right to nostalgia town. On top of that they have some custom content stuff that looks it's going to be cool when I level up to it.

It works well, it's stable, there's modern and old-school available, and it's all free. I don't know what I'd want a company to add to it.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I think back to how much free time I had and used leveling on armordillos back in high school, and think how impossible that is now. It used to be even worse for me before AC, as I did the same but worse in MUDs. One summer I actually had plans for a grind fest that would be some insane amount of hours to make a growth goal. It was a PVP MUD and I was one of the top people on there, so I was basically racing. That character easily had over 3000 hours.

When I finally stop being so into WoW I will give the AC emulation a run. I also only really played the first few years, so a lot of the new stuff I never saw.

• Options
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Every time I get a notice for this thread, I end up getting my hopes up for some kind of exciting news related to it. Stupid Warner Bros. sitting on this franchise and doing nothing and turning Turbine into a licensed mobile dev.

Last I heard, WB was imploding, so they might well do something with the AC license. Unless the rumors that they're legally enjoined from doing so are true.

Supposedly, the founder of Turbine had some poison pill in the contract WB bought and is still held to. Don't recall the specifics of the rumor, but it was either if they don't leave the game shut down for X number of months before transferring it he gets the rights back, or if they sell it he gets an ungodly huge payout (think "10% of WB's gross yearly profits" huge), or if they do try and sell it he has the right of first refusal or somesuch. It's supposedly why they shut the game down so abruptly and refused to allow SSG to take it over.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Right now the leading rumor is Microsoft is looking to acquire WB Interactive. So Microsoft may end up with the rights to Asheron's Call again unless there is some clause in Turbines contract that says otherwise. Ideally Turbine will get to become Turbine again and retain the rights.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Right now the leading rumor is Microsoft is looking to acquire WB Interactive. So Microsoft may end up with the rights to Asheron's Call again unless there is some clause in Turbines contract that says otherwise. Ideally Turbine will get to become Turbine again and retain the rights.

I believe all of what made Turbine is now working at Standing Stone Games. And they're basically just waiting until the IP holders for D&D / LOTR decide to screw them over.

KiTA on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I would find it sooooooooo entertaining if everything came full circle and Microsoft came back to having rights to AC.

• Options
    Dread PrivateerDread Privateer Registered User new member
    So as a long time Penny arcade fan and AC player, also as someone who is actively working on AC right now I was thrilled to see this post thread. Here's an Idea of where the EMU's are at currently
    I can't post links but search Beyond AC preview on Youtube.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnI_mlmfBTM

• Options
    Dread PrivateerDread Privateer Registered User new member
    Red Raevyn wrote: »

I heard about yet another server (Living Auberean) that's modern retail style with some nice quality of life touches, and I've been going through the Facility Hub doing classic old quests. I thought I might not like it being handed to me on a silver platter but I was wrong, I love it. It's great to not have to spend a bunch of time on websites trying to remember what existed, where it was, etc etc, just go in and portal right to nostalgia town. On top of that they have some custom content stuff that looks it's going to be cool when I level up to it.

It works well, it's stable, there's modern and old-school available, and it's all free. I don't know what I'd want a company to add to it.

Can't tell you how happy I am to see this post. The Custom content patch Living Auberean runs is my Beyond AC Repo.

• Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    Red Raevyn wrote: »

Can't tell you how happy I am to see this post. The Custom content patch Living Auberean runs is my Beyond AC Repo.

I started playing on Living Auberean a few days ago - fantastic work all the way around. Really enjoying the new additions I've seen so far, plus the extra enhancements to make getting started a little smoother.

• Options
    KellyanneconwayKellyanneconway Registered User new member
    No. That net positive is not enough to let you run without ManaC.

Lots of people have tried.

Everyone has failed.

If you cast a single spell, you must have mana C. Considering a skillpoint tax to being able to use magic (That is, afterall, what it is mechanically).

What will happen is: You'll burn your bar, and your buff program will start trying to get mana back. 10 minutes later it will cast 3 more buffs. 14 minutes later it will cast 2. And so on, and so forth. You never actually complete a buff cycle. When I tried it, it took me 30 minutes to buff my sword.

Unless you get onto the GDLE or ACE servers and their mana conversion and mana regeneration is overly generous. You could just skip mana conversion initially.

For those that can't do that you could add a mana conversion bot to your team to replenish mana conversion incapable gimps. Worked for me.