As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tech] Most of the time it's not actively trying to kill you

EchoEcho ski-bapba-dapModerator mod
I got a Google Nest Hub because it was on sale. I have no idea what to use it for, but hey, it gives good answers about the weather. Actually, really good answers, I asked "Will it rain today?" and it answered that it was a low chance, but a higher chance tomorrow.

I have some ideas about hooking it up to actual home automation when I can figure out something interesting to automate.

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    After buying two new chargers, I have come to the conclusion that the problem is with the charging port and not the charger. The rest of the laptop is completely fine, and I don't want to have to buy a new one, as the price for fixing the port may just be high enough to make me go f it, buy a new one anyway.

So I'm considering buying a cheap enough tablet instead. Any suggestions for a cheap but good/decent tablet I cam buy in Ireland/UK/Europe? Or should I get the port fixed? As it is, I keep having to move the charger around in the slot to get it to maybe charge, and once my hand is off it, it stops charging.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Two of the buttons on my old pebble 2 watch randomly disintegrated and now I have to look at replacing it because I have no way to grow new buttons right now. I'm so cheap that I am scoffing at the prices of some of these watches. They don't really seem to be much if better at all than that old war horse.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    gah my tiny computer is slightly delayed and i need it so bad dammit

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Guys I bought a Roborock S5 Max robot vacuum/mop.

I named it Mitchell. It's mapping my downstairs at the moment. He seems cool.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I put in a preorder on the new Canon mirrorless

Not because I'm particularly good at photography, but because I aspire to be and I love fancy technical toys

godmode wrote: »
    I put in a preorder on the new Canon mirrorless

Not because I'm particularly good at photography, but because I aspire to be and I love fancy technical toys

the most important part of being a photographer is spending all of your money on fancy toys

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    After buying two new chargers, I have come to the conclusion that the problem is with the charging port and not the charger. The rest of the laptop is completely fine, and I don't want to have to buy a new one, as the price for fixing the port may just be high enough to make me go f it, buy a new one anyway.

So I'm considering buying a cheap enough tablet instead. Any suggestions for a cheap but good/decent tablet I cam buy in Ireland/UK/Europe? Or should I get the port fixed? As it is, I keep having to move the charger around in the slot to get it to maybe charge, and once my hand is off it, it stops charging.

You might be able to replace the part yourself if it's too stupid expensive to get it done elsewhere.

Tablet: do you want an ipad or a windows tab? I like my Surface Pro...

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Thread title is a filthy lie.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Recently got Google's 2nd-gen Pixel Buds because I decided to splurge a little since I'm doing meetings from home and it'll be nice to have whenever I go back to the gym, among other rationalizations, and first impressions were good. The whole thing looks real quality. Open the case, seamlessly pair with the phone, nice. And then the left earbud didn't work, which is apparently a common problem. Factory reset, and it came back up. Using it a bit was positive, just about what you expect, except the left earbud drained battery faster than the right. This is also apparently a common problem. I managed to get the firmware updated (a non-obvious process) and let it ride.

Then on Monday, during an actual meeting, the left earbud stopped working. This time no amount of factory resets got it back up. They were in a Fedex box by that afternoon.

Almost two hundos is way too much to pay for beta testing your products, sorry Google. Fuckin f that.

I'm a big fan of Jabra's ear buds. I've been using a pair of Elite Active 65t's since 2018. I use them almost every day, multiple times a day and they're still going strong.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Man I got hit with the bug where it doesn't track me viewing this thread so it always takes me to the first post. Did anyone ever find a fix for that?

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    From the thread in the Bug Report subforum
    Okay, I think I've figured out how do it.

If you have a thread that's permenently marked unread,

1. Make a post in it
    2. View the last page - This will clear out the post read but not fix the issue entirely, as it'll still think the second post is the latest post.
    3. Open the thread again by clicking on the thread title (i.e. go the the #latest), view the last page fo the thread AGAIN.
    4. Hope it works.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I'm a big fan of Jabra's ear buds. I've been using a pair of Elite Active 65t's since 2018. I use them almost every day, multiple times a day and they're still going strong.

Yeah, mine are great.

Though I did switch to Airpods Pro because I got them for half off through work. They're a lot more convenient to use with Apple stuff, but the sound is slightly worse.
    Guys I bought a Roborock S5 Max robot vacuum/mop.

I named it Mitchell. It's mapping my downstairs at the moment. He seems cool.

I have a crufty old Roomba, and the battery in it died. I was seriously considering a Roborock, but I decided that a $60 battery replacement made more financial sense at the moment.

...so now I'm back to babysitting the Roomba when it decides it wants to wear the curtains or get stuck on every single floor-level cable.

• FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Forum technology is trying to kill me with unread posts.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

1. Make a post in it
    2. View the last page - This will clear out the post read but not fix the issue entirely, as it'll still think the second post is the latest post.
    3. Open the thread again by clicking on the thread title (i.e. go the the #latest), view the last page fo the thread AGAIN.
    4. Hope it works.

Yay that fixed it.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I bought a pair of those Sony WF-1000xm3 earbuds a few months back, they're very good.

I had to fiddle with them a bit to get them sounding the way I wanted, but since then they've been great.

• HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

1. Make a post in it
    4. Hope it works.

Yay that fixed it.

The bug happens when you bookmark a thread with unread posts. Only bookmark threads after you opened them from threadlist.

we should probably change the thread title

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Thread title is a filthy lie.

Only because you work with undomesticated tech.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    That picture reminds me of that one part of quake 4 where they turn the player into a cyborg.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Ain't no computer gonna predict my future, I dropped out of high school.

Row row fight the powa

why not just take a core sample from the brain stem and measure the salinity

cross reference that with the topography of bumps on the skull and it's easy to determine which humans are of superior intellect and which are dangers to society and should be locked away without trial

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

cross reference that with the topography of bumps on the skull and it's easy to determine which humans are of superior intellect and which are dangers to society and should be locked away without trial

Bit rich for you to say that, I've seen your eyebrows!

You got them young Pinochet eyebrows, don't deny it!

I'll have you know that my brow tilt is the same as Charles the Great, and my lobe slope is even steeper than Sir Sherlock Holmes' himself.

Meanwhile *you* have the brainpan of a stagecoach tilter!

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I'll have you know that my brow tilt is the same as Charles the Great, and my lobe slope is even steeper than Sir Sherlock Holmes' himself.

Meanwhile *you* have the brainpan of a stagecoach tilter!

Oh you bet your fucking LIFE I'll tilt a stagecoach! I've done it before and I'll do it again!

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

This is exactly how we get to the episode in Star Trek where the computer does the math on the interplanetary war and then tells how many people to execute instead of the people actually fighting.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    HoA-player wrote: »

1. Make a post in it
    4. Hope it works.

Yay that fixed it.

The bug happens when you bookmark a thread with unread posts. Only bookmark threads after you opened them from threadlist.

Making a post is the only method that consistently works for me. I'm getting pretty sick of the bug.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    i guess you could say it bugs you

i'll see myself out

edited July 2020
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130820113931.htm

hey so i just saw this headline and it confirms what has always been obvious to me; that measuring salinity of fluids inside the brain is an indicator of overall intelligence

after all I am known as a pretty smart person around here and apparently I have to cut back on salt because of blood pressure and therefore I must have high brain salinity

so obviously the way to achieve higher salinity is to eat more salt,
    so logically we must conclude that avoiding fresh water will also increase our overall salt content (you don't want to dilute your salt levels)

i am relatively sure that if I go on a diet where I only eat potato chips and drink salt water I will be able to increase my intelligence by at least 10x

i just took a quick IQ test (I don't want to embarass anybody here but my score was very high) and now I am going to drink two litres of salt water and have this bag of ruffles and a bucket of kfc with extra gravy and then measure my iq again

once i have perfected this technique i will use my superior intellect to become a billionaire and then i'll really be able to show the haters who's boss

Brolo on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well now I’m hungry.

very thirsty now, possible side effect

believe expeirment was sucess brain powewr is high but feeling very

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Oh, cool, someone figured out how to make smiling dystopic.

Also, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!1!

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I installed the iOS beta, the stacks are nice, and hiding apps weirdly, just feels better. And being able to hide the apps but have them automatically sorted into folders is really starting to make me have a big rethink on what needs to be on the front screen. But I feel with the stacks, they won’t become really good until the beta is over and developers can start adding to them.

But Pokemon Go doesn’t work on it yet, so I guess I’m uninstalling it when I next get the chance.

Blake T on
  • HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    HoA-player wrote: »

1. Make a post in it
    4. Hope it works.

Yay that fixed it.

Making a post is the only method that consistently works for me. I'm getting pretty sick of the bug.

You are right, making a post is the only way to repair a thread once it is bugged. But since I stopped boomarking threads with unread posts no new one got the bug for me.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    [Bookmarking the] Technology [thread before making a post in it] was a mistake.

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Technology was a mistake. Let's just go back to banging sticks on rocks

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
This discussion has been closed.