As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There is a [Conspiracy Thread] here, and I will seek it out!

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    My sisters have introduced me to one I haven't heard yet: Britney Spears is being held against her will in a mental hospital for... reasons?

https://people.com/music/free-britney-movement-everything-to-know/

I don't... what.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    https://www.businessinsider.com/inside-britney-spears-conservatorship-freebritney-movement-2020-2

It makes sense to me. There's a lot of distrust towards mental health institutions due to their treatment of people (women in particular). I don't think this is what is happening here but it is a practice with a long history.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    She is actually in a conservatorship due to, apparently, lifelong struggles with mental illness, but many people lately have been questioning the conditions of this conservatorship, so it makes sense there'd be some amount of conspiracy around it.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    https://www.businessinsider.com/inside-britney-spears-conservatorship-freebritney-movement-2020-2

It makes sense to me. There's a lot of distrust towards mental health institutions due to their treatment of people (women in particular). I don't think this is what is happening here but it is a practice with a long history.

This stuff just popped up in my imgur feed as well. It seems like a hugely complicated matter that can't be summed up in an article or social media post. If this isn't true, I am 100% sure there are non famous people being taken advantage of in the same manner. From experience, I can say, if you know someone is in a hospital and severely ill, make sure someone can be there that they trust to help make good decisions.

This goes for watching nurses/nurses aides/doctors too. I've seen hospital staff make very bad decisions and give bad advice based on what was convenient for them and not the patient they were treating. It can be very hard for a patient to get it through to anyone that they are getting mistreated for fear of retaliation.

steam_sig.png
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    @Couscous mentioned a QAnon-curious restaurant owner who won a GOP primary in Colorado. Her restaurant was notorious both for its open carry policy (as in, the wait staff are required to carry holstered sidearms) and its refusal to obey state mask mandates. Would you be surprised to learn that this restaurant cared just as much about cleanliness as it does for safety, which is to say, not at all? Because her restaurant once caused mass food-poisoning so bad that it gave dozens of people bloody diarrhea.

There's some symbolism in here somewhere, I think.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    So the names of those Wayfair products are just generated ranomly from people's names and priced nearly-randomly? Is that what's really happening?

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    So the names of those Wayfair products are just generated ranomly from people's names and priced nearly-randomly? Is that what's really happening?

Price algorithms often cause weird stuff like that to happen, and a lot of furniture is named after people.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Like YouTube's almighty algorithm, Wayfair is basically a computer program and a handful of people to fix it's fuckups as they're found. The addition of being a middle man for product it never touched basically means it barely exists as a physical presence in the meatspace.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Yeah if you have an algo that raises price according to availability, and that algo sees that an article is super rare and still in demand, prices can get super unreasonable if there's no blocks.

Company I worked at had a regular hard drive end up being 14k€ in the web shop because of this once

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Joolander wrote: »
    So looking at the top right image in that tweet... they think it's a conspiracy because they don't understand drop shipping?

Haha yeah, who wouldn’t understand drop shipping

<_<
    >_>

What is drop shipping?

You know those old scam commercials with that guy from Happy Days

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ttix2Ks4JsM

That's drop shipping. You basically get a catalogue from a distributor, select a few items and either get some samples for a physical location or just list them on a website like Amazon or Wayfair. Customers see the items, order them from you, you place the orders with your distributor, they ship them directly to your customer. You don't have to do anything with regards to warehousing or shipping, you just pocket the profits.

But, you may be thinking, if it's so easy to make money doing this, why arent the distributors just selling themselves directly to the customers and cutting out the middle men? And if you're a seller using Amazon, aren't you directly competing with people selling the exact same products with the exact same distribution network, and thus can only differentiate yourself by being the one who shaves their prices and therefore revenue the most? Are these companies actually just preying on people who are attracted to the idea of working from home and being their own boss?

Of course not, that's just a conspiracy theory.
    There may be drop shipping companies that aren't complete scams, my perceptions are just heavily tainted by the ones I've come into contact with.

Peccavi on
    Amazon once had a book on flies listed for over a million dollars

http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358
    At first I thought it was a joke – a graduate student with too much time on their hands. But there were TWO new copies for sale, each be offered for well over a million dollars. And the two sellers seemed not only legit, but fairly big time (over 8,000 and 125,000 ratings in the last year respectively). The prices looked random – suggesting they were set by a computer. But how did they get so out of whack?

Amazingly, when I reloaded the page the next day, both priced had gone UP! Each was now nearly $2.8 million. And whereas previously the prices were $400,000 apart, they were now within $5,000 of each other. Now I was intrigued, and I started to follow the page incessantly. By the end of the day the higher priced copy had gone up again. This time to $3,536,675.57. And now a pattern was emerging.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Joolander wrote: »
    So looking at the top right image in that tweet... they think it's a conspiracy because they don't understand drop shipping?

Haha yeah, who wouldn’t understand drop shipping

<_<
    >_>

What is drop shipping?

You know those old scam commercials with that guy from Happy Days

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ttix2Ks4JsM

That's drop shipping. You basically get a catalogue from a distributor, select a few items and either get some samples for a physical location or just list them on a website like Amazon or Wayfair. Customers see the items, order them from you, you place the orders with your distributor, they ship them directly to your customer. You don't have to do anything with regards to warehousing or shipping, you just pocket the profits.

But, you may be thinking, if it's so easy to make money doing this, why arent the distributors just selling themselves directly to the customers and cutting out the middle men? And if you're a seller using Amazon, aren't you directly competing with people selling the exact same products with the exact same distribution network, and thus can only differentiate yourself by being the one who shaves their prices and therefore revenue the most? Are these companies actually just preying on people who are attracted to the idea of working from home and being their own boss?

Of course not, that's just a conspiracy theory.
    There may be drop shipping companies that aren't complete scams, my perceptions are just heavily tainted by the ones I've come into contact with.

So I'm in industrial recycling manufacturing industry, and we do a ton of drop shipping for spare parts and stuff. A lot of our tech we use we don't make ourselves, like gear motors, and conveyor belts and stuff. During our initial builds we buy everything, fabricate the main structures, and then install this stuff. When it comes to service though, our customers don't want to (and we don't want them to) go to all of our different vendors and try to order replacement parts. It would be hell having them try to describe what broke and what they need, where our service team has a huge knowledge base along with our computer systems to say exactly what is where. So We'll place an order with our vendor to drop ship the specialty piece of equipment directly to the customer to be installed.

I've worked with a lot of Manufacturers like this, even in the commercial space. Some businesses don't want to have a robust sales front end, they don't want to staff up salesmen, build network infrastructure, the whole deal. They'd rather sell to a couple dozen distributors/resellers, or take drop ship orders from them. It also allows them to set purchasing minimums, like if you want to be able to buy our stuff, you have to commit to 100 a year. It really helps a manufacturers forecast to deal with a handful of resellers with build in yearly order minimums than to deal with completely random one off orders directly from customers.

Here's a great example. At my last job we sold to re-sellers, but also directly to customers. We took electronics and provisioned them with specific customer settings, or could sell them blank.

Lets say it takes 5 minutes to pick a single device, another 5 minutes to program it, and 5 minutes to ship it. 15 minutes for the entire thing. Now lets say it takes the same 5 minutes to pick 15 of the item, 10 minutes to program them and 5 minutes to ship. Now we spent 20 minutes but were able to get 15 out the door. It's a huge cost savings in labor.

I ran the numbers, and we sold 95% of our inventory to re-sellers and large industrial customers, but spent 80% of our time on working on the remaining 20% that were to unique one or two off end user customer sales. I pushed for years to try to get us to drop that part of the business, we could have saved a mountain in labor (mostly not having to hire more people as we grew, versus laying folks off). I even showed that our one off customers never turned into large re-order customers. Management never entertained the idea.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    I wonder if anybody at Fox noticed the guy is wearing a QAnon shirt:
    Vox journalist:

Really should not be giving any time to those people.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Really shouldn’t be giving time to pretty much anyone on Fox News

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    this thread has the new post bug, where I see the notification, but no new posts

coincidence?

The whole thing is highly suspect!

steam_sig.png
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Does that dude have a line-up of one classic car and a fleet of golf carts? Why?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Does that dude have a line-up of one classic car and a fleet of golf carts? Why?

Old white people.

All his friends showed up. A bunch drive everywhere in golf carts (i.e. retirement community) and one shows off his classic car any time he can.

I'm surprised there isn't a 3-wheel Goldwing conversion parked there, because that would fill out the 65+ white blue collar trifecta perfectly.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Saw this recently and........yep, yep, I think I am okay with this.

sg6vfxwjji7l.jpg

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    He's not Popish tho.

Many of those are from the middle books of the new testament which use antichrist as an improper noun in roughly the way the old uses gentile, perhaps more strongly negative.

And a few are old testament which just...

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The comparison does more to slander the antichrist than trump

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Also it says he should be a builder of towers but trumps never built anything in his life

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I've actually not seen too many conspiracy theory things lately since disabling my Facebook account. It's been nice.

• evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Many of those are from the middle books of the new testament which use antichrist as an improper noun in roughly the way the old uses gentile, perhaps more strongly negative.

For the Old Testament ones, all of those are from Daniel, so they're misreading the Apocalypse genre, but at least it's a genre that is specifically designed to be impossible to understand for people who don't have the correct background. (Same thing with Revelations.)

edited July 2020
    SteevL wrote: »
    I've actually not seen too many conspiracy theory things lately since disabling my Facebook account. It's been nice.

A couple save games for games my wife and I share are chained to mine, but a friend list purge more brutal than anything Stalin dreamt of has helped.

It's probably the main reason this thread's not-OP was more scientific woo and less of the socially malignant types. I almost included Electric Universe or Plasma Cosmology instead of anti-vaxx.

Hevach on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    This is totally not a post to make it look like the thread is read. Nope. Not at all.

It's about the coverup of the things on the Moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKUVgIuQ4Nc

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

For the Old Testament ones, all of those are from Daniel, so they're misreading the Apocalypse genre, but at least it's a genre that is specifically designed to be impossible to understand for people who don't have the correct background. (Same thing with Revelations.)

Hey, the "Builder of Towers" bit is citing Genesis 10:8-12 and 11:4, which is... the bit in the begats about Nimrod being a great hunter and founding Babel, and the bit in The Tower of Babel where they say they're gonna build a tower? Yeah, no, that one's particularly flimsy.

I guess the author of that image thinks towers are inherently immoral and an affront to god and thus dislikes real estate moguls that build tall?

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »

Hey, the "Builder of Towers" bit is citing Genesis 10:8-12 and 11:4, which is... the bit in the begats about Nimrod being a great hunter and founding Babel, and the bit in The Tower of Babel where they say they're gonna build a tower? Yeah, no, that one's particularly flimsy.

I guess the author of that image thinks towers are inherently immoral and an affront to god and thus dislikes real estate moguls that build tall?

You're giving this too much thought, he owns a building called Trump Tower, bible mentioned tower.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Neveron wrote: »

You're giving this too much thought, he owns a building called Trump Tower, bible mentioned tower.

Also, Kings who build towers rarely lift the actual bricks, and hire still architects.

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    SteevL wrote: »

It and YouTube are tied as the #1 drivers of crazy.

Lilnoobs on
    Fox News decided to just hire a Q conspiracy believer

https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-nation/fox-nation-host-isaiah-washington-qanon-supporter-and-conspiracy-theorist
    Fox Nation's newest series features actor Isaiah Washington in Isaiah Washington: Kitchen Talk. Washington is a QAnon supporter who has pushed conspiracy theories about the COVID-19 pandemic, 5G networks, Black Lives Matter, and many other topics -- including Fox News executives.

To give you a sense of this show, in one of the episodes, Washington makes a “tasty frittata” with former Trump campaign adviser George Papadopoulos while discussing the 2016 election.
    Washington isn't subtle about promoting QAnon, either:

He's shared hashtags associated with QAnon repeatedly on Twitter and again and again and again on Instagram. He's also shared memes attacking White House coronavirus task force member Dr. Anthony Fauci with a QAnon hashtag, one of which also alluded to a conspiracy theory involving Microsoft founder Bill Gates.
    Another post suggests that “5G energy” can be combatted with “natural stones” that can be purchased on Instagram. He also shared a video pushing conspiracy theories about 5G wireless technology and shared a link to a fringe site pushing conspiracy theories about 5G and 6G. One 5G conspiracy theory video that Washington shared alleged that “extinction codes” are set. In sharing one conspiracy theory video alleging an artificial intelligence plan to “invade humanity,” Washington declared, “Watch This Or Die. I Said What I Said.”
    I guess this is not a surprising development

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    He was the guy that got fired from Grey's Anatomy for being a bigot or an asshole or something as I remember.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    You probably heard about a certain anti-mask protest in Utah.

5f10f860ac603.image.jpg

I'm sure you wouldn't be surprised to find out it's all chock full of conspiracy theorists of all stripes. I found an article about all those lunatics[/url[ that has a great example of conspiratorial thinking in it.

Denna Robertson, one of the rally organizers, said she’s “absolutely” comfortable sending children back to school without masks. She said wearing masks is not a public health issue because she believes COVID-19 was manufactured in a lab.

“Coronavirus is man-made. It’s a weaponized virus,” Robertson said.

Your first impulse may be to go WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK YOU STUPID FUCK if it's a WEAPON then it's WORSE so you should be trying to protect yourself harder! Either that or you're straight out saying you're a bioterrorist, you evil nasty stupid woman.

And yes, there's that, but of course, conspiracy theorists do not work on any sort of rational level. It's all emotional thinking, whatever works to make them feel better at the moment. She wants to think that she's smarter than everyone else, so she says it's made in a lab, which isn't what the brainy doctors say, so that makes her feel like she's superior. It also highlights how conspiracy theorists thus become more passive and less likely to act on anything; now that she has her feeling of superiority, she's not going to fight what she believes is a bioweapon specifically designed to kill everybody. She in fact has chosen the option that is less work to her, which is not putting on a damn mask. That she put effort into putting together a rally so she could be lazy in this tiny manner is just a demonstration of the paradox of the lazy, where truly lazy people will somehow put way more effort into not working than they would have to just do something. We are not talking about rational creatures here.

Tl;dr Room full of bioterrorist Karens.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Well clearly if it’s a man made weapon it’s protected under the second amendment so what can you do really?

edited July 2020
    shryke wrote: »
    He was the guy that got fired from Grey's Anatomy for being a bigot or an asshole or something as I remember.

My wife is a huge fan of the show and once I connected him to his character she tells me he was vividly homophobic on set, harassed a gay castmate and complained loudly about the expanding diversity of the cast.

Right at home on Fox News, I guess.

Edit: looks like his first thing on Fox News is talking about how that story was a lie and conspiracy to kick him off the show, but because he's a father and a family man he thought it was right to publicly admit to it and personally apologize to his not-actually-victims which.... Sure as hell is a story that has now been told.

Also HOLY FUCK THAT MISERY TRAIN HAS BEEN RUNNING 17 YEARS WHY.

Hevach on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

My wife is a huge fan of the show and once I connected him to his character she tells me he was vividly homophobic on set, harassed a gay castmate and complained loudly about the expanding diversity of the cast.

Edit: looks like his first thing on Fox News is talking about how that story was a lie and conspiracy to kick him off the show, but because he's a father and a family man he thought it was right to publicly admit to it and personally apologize to his not-actually-victims which.... Sure as hell is a story that has now been told.

I looked it up just now and the crazier thing to me is that fucking Derek has been dead for more then 6 seasons now. And it's still going!

shryke on

I looked it up just now and the crazier thing to me is that fucking Derek has been dead for more then 6 seasons now. And it's still going!

Grey was not slated to return for the most recent season. She did eventually, but just think about that: The show was committed to continue on with the title character gone.

I hate to see a show die just as its finding its stride and getting good, but I'd rather have every show I love get Farscape'd or Enterprise'd than watch one languish in mediocrity for decades while dragging out storylines I feel like I'm now required to see out to their conclusion.

edited July 2020
    A New York police union boss gave an interview where he had a Q mug. He is denying he knew what it meant, but won't say whose mug it was.
    HuffPost reporter:

That may actually be his office.
    Dr. Venture from Venture Bros.:

So a police union boss might be a Q conspiracy theorist. Wonderful

Couscous on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Not really shocking that a person who protects cops from accountability for a living is aligned with other malicious idiots outside of his profession

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG