As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking Thread] Burning questions and searing remarks

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Cauld wrote: »
    I've never been able to crack eggs on a flat surface well. Either the shell doesn't crack enough, or the shell smashes and I make a huge mess.

The former is fine since you just lightly crack it again.
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Scraping with the tip. Don't gouge.

Adding to this, this is a common trick in some restaurant kitchens that go through a lot of ginger when the cooks don't want to hunt down the vegetable peelers.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I always do eggs on the edge of A bowl or something and I’ve literally never had a problem

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Wow, peeling ginger with a spoon actually worked really well. I would usually do it with a paring knife but the spoon worked better and much faster.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Like once every 7 eggs I get the perfect crack where it just neatly splits and I can dump it with one hand without ever getting any of the runny bits on me and zero fear of a shell fragment. I have no idea what I'm doing that one perfect time but it feels so damn good when it happens.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Shivahn wrote: »
    My wife and I went to some cooking classes last year, and while they were LARGELY not worth the insane cost, each one taught us tiny things we use almost daily that I wish to pass on to you:

1) crack eggs against flat surfaces instead of bowls, because it preserves the yolk from breaking
    2) you can and should use a spoon to peel ginger

Also you can make creme brulee with ginger and it's dope, but really those were the two very tiny things that people may or may not know but which I've found very helpful.

Wait, what? How do you peel ginger with a spoon?

The correct answer is buy twice as much ginger as you need, since it will only cost you $.07 more, then make 4 or 5 quick cuts with your chef's knife to cube it down to no skin and chop in one go. Normally I'm against food waste, but this is such a small amount, and again, approximately $.07 worth of waste.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I will give you the secret of cracking eggs.

Crack an egg against a flat surface. It keeps the membrane inside the shell intact so that it's more likely to hold on to bits of shell so they don't flake off.

After you tap the egg hard enough to make a slight dent - usually I find "dropping" the egg from an inch or so from the counter is sufficient - look at the dimple you just made. Rather than press your finger tips into the dimple in an effort to open it, go to one side of it along the fissure you just made, using your fingertips push in on the fissure and not the dimple to direct the crack to encircle the egg instead of roam off in random directions. It should just be a matter of prying it apart a tiny bit.

I've found the initial "impact crater" or dimple on the egg is too damaged to really get leverage without fucking up the shell and possibly having the crack just go random directions, by moving to a point along the vector you wish the crack to spread you force it to go "around" the egg and split it in the direction you want.

Edit: Other tips.

Hold the egg with the narrow point away from you with your index finger on the spot you want it to crack as you tap it on the counter. Almost like you're bridging a deck of cards after a shuffle.

Obviously if you're a professional cook or something you've probably nailed cracking an egg perfectly every time one handed against the side of your belt buckle or whatever the fuck, but I find consistency means I can at least figure out mechanically what I'm fucking up.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to do lentil curry inside of the recipe I normally do for curry?

Normally I do saute'd veggies, a tablespoon of yellow curry powder, then a can of coconut milk, and then some tofu (and if I have time/potatoes, parboiled potatoes).

I got a couple bags of lentils in a care package thing, and I'm not entirely sure what to do them with.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to do lentil curry inside of the recipe I normally do for curry?

Normally I do saute'd veggies, a tablespoon of yellow curry powder, then a can of coconut milk, and then some tofu (and if I have time/potatoes, parboiled potatoes).

I got a couple bags of lentils in a care package thing, and I'm not entirely sure what to do them with.

Rinse the lentils and then cook them in the curry. You can overcook lentils so you may want to wait until the curry is almost done depending on how long you normally cook them.

You can basically just toss them into any liquid centered dish. I've sometimes put them in miso soup and chicken soup.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I've just never used lentils before, and for curry I normally cook most the things that need cooking before adding the curry powder/coconut milk, and just let it heat up the tofu/liquid rq.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
  • Options
    Had to smash up some croutons to make breadcrumbs for burgers and it's so fun and satisfying. Love when I get to use a hammer for cooking.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm going to be making these today, really looking forward to it. Having some friends over to go do some socially distanced creek walking and we're going to finish off with these. Only difference is that I'm going to be cooking these on the smoker for about 45 minutes or so.

https://youtu.be/cFZDnn3mPO0

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I do the bacon wrapped ones, but I cut mine like this instead

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/how-to-make-the-best-baked-jalapeno-poppers.html

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I do the bacon wrapped ones, but I cut mine like this instead

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/how-to-make-the-best-baked-jalapeno-poppers.html

I just got a nice new boning knife, so I'm going to take the tops off, and hollow it out without splitting the pepper.

• Options
    Even spread of the cheese might be a bit hard if the peppers are still whole and you're using cream cheese

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Well, I made my first ever double-decker chocolate cake from scratch for my wife’s birthday. (Recipie from Nerdy Nummies)

It was a bit rich but otherwise a big hit and I am quite pleased with myself.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    yea, ended up cutting in half. The big change i would make is to use thinner bacon, just so it crisps up nicer in the smoker. They turned out very tasty though.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    oh my lord. Girlfriend and I were seriously craving some steak, we haven't had any since the prices shot up super high around the start of the quarantine. Well she lucked out on our recent shopping trip and scored a 4.5 lb monster of a tri-tip, for half price even! Gotta love safeway deals.

I was so worried I fucked up because I hadn't grilled steak in awhile, at one point while inside the fat-cap caught fire, but that just ended up doing a good job giving it a nice smoky flavor, and you cut the fat-cap off tri-tip anyway. And I was getting inconsistent temperature reads depending on where I probed, but I trusted my instincts and pulled it off and foiled it when I felt it was done.

I think it turned out to be the best goddamn fucking steak I've ever grilled.
    20200807_175018.jpg

Perfect texture. Crunchy crust, center just melts in your mouth. I think I've hit my apex and this is what I have to shoot for for the rest of my life.

edit: oh and, exactly what I did if anyone wants to know, not very technical but still just in case:
    basic rub of kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, and minced onion bits. Grill ~325-350 degrees via the front burner alone. ~45 minutes at the back of the grill on indirect heat, flipping half way. when the average internal temp is ~115F, move it directly onto the flame to sear it and finish heating it up for 5-8 minutes a side, till it's about ~140 internal average. Pull off, immediately wrap it to your tray with a layer of heavy duty foil, and forget it exists for 10 minutes while the meat evens itself out and cooks its lesser done middle portions with itself.

Thanks Dad for teaching me. You'd be proud of this one.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Doing a stroganoff this weekend. Last time I made it I basically followed the recipe exactly, added some garlic in with the onions, but this time I'm dropping the meat. Probably going to add some sliced shitakes and then cube some extra firm tofu to soak a bit at the end before I hit it with the noodles.

Carpy on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Raiden that looks awesome :)

I love it when I hit something that feels like perfection, it's one of my favorite things about cooking

• Options
    I have a whole bunch of basil that's ready to harvest so I bought some parmesan cheese and pine nuts.

Who has the best ratios/recipes for pesto??

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @Burtletoy check out the Cook Club thread in SE. in the 2nd post is all the stuff we've done so far and there's some pesto recipes in there.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I wish someone told me Kenji Lopez-Alt had a youtube channel sooner instead of discovering it via youtube recommendations. I've just started a batch of pickles based on this video:

https://youtu.be/qOZzZmEzNm4

Hopefully I won't die of botulism in 2 weeks.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I wish someone told me Kenji Lopez-Alt had a youtube channel sooner instead of discovering it via youtube recommendations. I've just started a batch of pickles based on this video:

https://youtu.be/qOZzZmEzNm4

Hopefully I won't die of botulism in 2 weeks.

My understanding is that even though the environment is anaerobic, it's also acidic and/or salty, plus swarming with other bacteria, so botulism bacteria can't swarm properly. Canning is associated with botulism because a lot of canned foods aren't salty or acidic, and the canning process kills off the competition. (Botulism bacteria can survive higher temperatures than most, so not going as hot as you're supposed to when canning a non-salty or acidic food is basically the worst idea possible.)

I will note that this is one area where you actually need to follow a recipe. Do not mess with the ratio of anything that's not obviously flavoring, and use your scale. (The calcium chloride used in this video is important, and is not just for flavor.)

EDIT: This page looks trustworthy, and has a nice video specifically on safety:
    https://extension.umn.edu/preserving-and-preparing/how-make-fermented-pickles

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    I really like his youtube channel. I especially like his late night series where he makes a snack or something in like 5 minutes. But, all of his videos are really good. I appreciate his general attitude regarding cooking.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    OK cooking thread I need assistance.

I want to make Kimchi pancakes! This is specifically @syndalis's fault for taking us to korean bbq in NY.

I have some kimchi. I have what I assume is all the other ingredients according to a couple of sites I've read. But I have concerns so far with all the places I've looked:

Recipes keep telling me to
    1: mix the flour, salt, and water
    2: whisk to combine (?)
    3: then add egg and kimchi and liquid from the jar (??)
    4: then some ice cubes so the batter is cold (?????)
    5: then add the chilis or whatever else is going in

does this make any sense to people? Every other batter I've ever made goes like

1: the dry things
    2: the wet things mixed together separately
    3: the wet into the dry
    4: fold in the whatevers
    5: don't put extra water in it

Is this being done for a reason or do I just need to find a non-crazy recipe? Anyone know?

spool32 on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    spool32 wrote: »
    OK cooking thread I need assistance.

I want to make Kimchi pancakes! This is specifically @syndalis's fault for taking us to korean bbq in NY.

I have some kimchi. I have what I assume is all the other ingredients according to a couple of sites I've read. But I have concerns so far with all the places I've looked:

Recipes keep telling me to
    1: mix the flour, salt, and water
    2: whisk to combine (?)
    3: then add egg and kimchi and liquid from the jar (??)
    4: then some ice cubes so the batter is cold (?????)
    5: then add the chilis or whatever else is going in

does this make any sense to people? Every other batter I've ever made goes like

1: the dry things
    2: the wet things mixed together separately
    3: the wet into the dry
    4: fold in the whatevers
    5: don't put extra water in it

Is this being done for a reason or do I just need to find a non-crazy recipe? Anyone know?

I was with that recipe until the ice cubes. I guess it might help if you want to use high heat to really crisp up the outside without the inside cooking as quickly but I can't imagine it making that big a difference since you can just use cold water and the kimchi and its brine are likely cold from being in the fridge.

Everything else checks out though. I see a lot of batters that mix wet and dry ingredients together throughout, especially in recipes written by professional bakers and pastry chefs. Sugar especially is usually thrown in with butter/cream cheese and the wet ingredients due to the importance of using it to cream the butter. Flour is consistently kept separate until the later stages though, presumably due to not wanting gluten to form networks too soon.

For a less crazy recipe, here's one with no ice cubes I've used a few times: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/quick-kimchi-pancakes

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    If you make pancakes from a box, even the non-quick kind where you add three ingredients instead of just water, come with all the dry stuff mixed. That seems fine.

Ice cubes? Dunno

• Options
    I need to make bean dip more often, super easy to make real good dip and it's easy to free style the recipe.

2 cans black beans (1 drained)
    Juiced 3 limes
    Cumin
    A couple Chipotles
    Garlic powder
    Some tomato paste

Toss everything but the drained beans in the blender and puree it up, add the drained beans and puree again.

A can of bean liquid plus the limes leaves the consistency slightly looser than I'd prefer but if I leave out any liquid than it gets thicker than my breville can handle. I've done good variants with just various chili powders if you don't want to mess with chipotles. I keep meaning to pick up some dried guajillos and anchos to replace the chipotle but I never remember when I'm out at the store.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i've been doing things like this. experimenting with different kinds of beans to make essentially hummus, i guess you could call it bean dip

i did one with red kidney beans and cajun spices that came out pretty tasty

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I have a lot of rendered beef fat. Any low carb ideas for what I can use it for?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    it occurs to me everything i would use it for would be in fact high carb

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    I have a lot of rendered beef fat. Any low carb ideas for what I can use it for?

Confit sous vide ribeye?

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    it occurs to me everything i would use it for would be in fact high carb

yeah coming up with getting deep frying of (thing), which usually means breading, though not necessarily

or poached in oil/fat. I've never seen that with animal products though.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Resting meat in fat can improve flavor.

https://www.eater.com/2019/3/12/18258558/eye-of-round-terrible-beef-fat-video

According to these guys it doesn't do much for texture, but it's eye of round... what a dumpster cut.

• Options
  • Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    You could use the tallow for stir frying veggies.

yeah i mean you could use it anywhere you'd use fat, but i'm not sure how much you'd need to be concerned about smoke point

fake edit apparently it's around 400° so probably not much of a concern

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Chanus wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    You could use the tallow for stir frying veggies.

yeah i mean you could use it anywhere you'd use fat, but i'm not sure how much you'd need to be concerned about smoke point

fake edit apparently it's around 400° so probably not much of a concern

Yeah, tallow should have a higher smoke point than most veggie fats.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    Vege tables?????

• Options